Format: DVD|Change

on 13 January 2014
I bought this movie for myself! It works really well in 3D at home, the colours, songs are amazing and it really does make you smile - perfect for a wet, cold January day! This film is ideal for ages 3 to 93! I had absolutely no problems with the 3D disc playing on my 3D blue ray player and I received it a week from ordering.
Be aware that the 'US' 20th Century Fox BLU RAY of "Rio - The Movie" is REGION A LOCKED.
So It won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' (which few are).

Stick with the UK version - it's astonishing to look on the format, cheaper and won't give playback problems...
on 7 May 2011
Brilliant with color, movement, action, drama, even some horror and a lot of fun, parades, joy, ecstasy, running away and running after, and even a lot of flying up and down especially for the poor Blue who does not know how to fly, which is a shame for a parrot.

A little of depth about these exotic birds that are endangered by the smugglers who capture them away to sell them in the big cities of the developed countries, here the USA, and even Minnesota. But no real police work against the smugglers, just a union of the victims and bird lovers to just prevent them from succeeding, in other words to make them fail.

The most astonishing side of the film is the luminous vision of Rio de Janeiro and its carnival. If you have never been there go next week and spend some time on the beaches and try to go to the top of the big sugarloaf mountains and meet the Christ standing at the top of the tallest of them. That's a perfect strategy for an emergent country today that has been the target of the latest but not last crisis and that has been able to get out of it even stronger than before. Conquer the world not only with money, certainly not with weapons and bombs, but with culture. That's how the Americans did it after World War II.

That's a lesson to us, in the developed countries too. We take for granted that our languages and our cultures are dominant, and they are not. In a few years a language emerges as more important than ours and an emerging culture becomes a top attraction and agent at the global level.

This is a simple animated film for children who are going to love the monkeys and the birds, but they are also going to be nicely demonstrated that you do not need to be white or black, that all shades of grey are great, and that birds are so much better off and nicer in their natural environment. So do not hesitate and take your children - and grandchildren - to see it and buy the DVD. The music is great and will teach you how to shake your arms and legs and to move your bottom in rhythm, I mean you the adults and parents and grandparents because the children of today have it in their genes.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU
on 27 October 2011
FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE THE FRENCH (I LIVE IN FRANCE) HAVE MANAGED TO GET A DISNEY MASTERPIECE OUT LONG BEFORE AMAZON GB ALTHOUGH THE PRODUCT WAS ORIGINALLY IN ENGLISH AND REQUIRED NO TIME CONSUMING TRANSLATION. I HAVE NEVER HAD SUCH A WAIT FROM AMAZON BEFORE AND HAVE ALMOST LOST INTEREST IN RECEIVING RIO AS I CAN BORROW MY FRENCH FRIEND'S DVD WHICH IS IN FRENCH AND ENGLISH : HE BOUGHT IT WEEKS AGO IN A SMALLISH FRENCH SUPERMARKET !

IT IS VITAL FOR AMAZON TO BE QUICKER OR ANY PRODUCT WILL JUST NOT BE CONSIDERED FAVORABLY GIVEN THE IRRITABLE DELAY. HOWEVER I DO RECOMMEND THIS FILM TO ANYONE NOW AMAZON (THIS IS LATE OCTOBER) SEEMS FINALLY TO BE IN A POSITION TO DELIVER IT. ITS PLEASURE TO THE SENSES VIA COLOR, MUSIC, LOVE STORY, WIT, etc WILL MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD EVEN ON THOSE MISERABLE SEMI DARK DAYS IN FRONT OF US
ENJOY !!!!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this for my daughter and a very worthwhile purchase it has been too. Avidly watched and thoroughly enjoyed by the whole family, ages from 7, 10, 14, 15 right through to adult.

Since the film arrived on Saturday (today's Monday) it has been watched 3 times by my daughter and I am sure many more viewings will be on the cards.

For those of you who are not already in the know ... Rio is the humorous yet emotionally charged story of 'Blu' a nerdy flightless macaw who embarks on an adventure and finds loyalty, friends, love and ultimately his inner hero.

'Rio' is exactly what you would expect from the accomplished makers of 'Ice Age', exciting adventures, beautiful scenery, wonderful and memorable characters and a story full of humour and originality.

Perfect for your collection of DVDs
on 5 November 2011
Great film for kids and adults alike with generous amount of humour, pause for thought and the now obligatory "Disney moral story" over-arching plot. All these fantastically animated films are just modern extensions of Aesop's Fables which we read as kids in the 70's and 80's ... and many people probably read before that.

My little one of 7 loved the vivid colours and change of destination from stereotypical USA-ville to Brazil. Along with the vivid colours came an abundance of questions from her related to jungles, the Rio Carnival, birds of flight and non etc ... so, really I missed out on the depth of the film and need to watch it again :) ... any excuse really to enjoy it again.

Better than the likes of Up and Megamind for me personally ... but not quite there with Despicable Me, Rango and Toy Story/MOnsters Inc.
on 25 August 2014
Quick delivery, excellent value (set of 2) & great quality. Enjoyed by both adults & children. Very funny & lovely bright colours. A must have film makes you feel cheerful. Very recommended so go on order & enjoy. I have ordered 3 as presents. Reliable supplier & item.
on 11 May 2011
A colorful,funny and well made film, showing the beauty of one of the most gorgeous cities in the world. The film is great from start to finish and completely transports you to RIO de Janeiro. The carnaval scene is just amazing!!! Can't tell you more. You have to watch it. For children of all ages. Loved it and so did my children.
on 6 December 2011
I keep parrots so was keen to view Rio & pre ordered it. It was well worth the wait. Based on the old love story but laced with humour & if you keep parrots as I do you will recognise how much research into their behaviours, endangered breeds & bonds they develop has gone into this film. If I didn't have a house full of parrots I'd be tempted to get one after watching this film. (not advised unless you can devote lots of time & money!) Top marks for entertainment though, Rio is definately up there with the best animations available. Buying more copies for my nieces & nephews
on 14 October 2014
Fantastic films. I was already completely obsessed with both (I rented them prior). They're perfect family films - great animation and story, but also with plenty of innuendos for the older viewers ;)

The one reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5 is because both films are slightly faster than they should be. I can tell because the songs and voices are a very slightly higher pitch than in the soundtracks and rented versions. I'm extremely picky and have (the casual version of) OCD, so this genuinely bugged me. Presumably wouldn't bother anyone else, but still.