5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling story of love overcoming fear
Jenny Ryan is a professional ghost writer, with an interesting past of her own, who finds herself falling in love with her latest subject's beautiful ancestral home, Cauldstane Castle, and its heir, the enigmatic Alec MacNab. Unfortunately, Jenny has a rival for Alec's affections - one who is not bound by the usual laws of nature and who will stop at nothing to get her...
Published 13 months ago by Protovicar

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not Linda's best!
I've read three of Linda's books are they were great little bit left field sometimes with the plot but cauldstane was a real disappointment?! Very long winded, far to much pointless dialogue between the characters and by the end of the book I was losing interest with the 'scary' Meredith and the far too happy ever after. Hmm not her best shame as I loved her other books!
Published 7 months ago by lindsay j ireland

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable, satisfying read., 30 Jun. 2014
L. White (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
Another good read from this author. I find myself haunted by Jenny's problem with writing fiction!
While on one level this is an enjoyable ghost story, on another it's about our struggle with fear, and how we live with it or learn to fight back.
The characters are well-drawn, the aspect of religion is handled sensitively from both sides of the fence, and the plot flows well, although once or twice Jenny irritated me with her reluctance to make a decision.
The setting was used to excellent effect, and the castle really was one of the characters in the story.
A good satisfying ending as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars great great story, 15 May 2014
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
oh a what a very compelling story, I defy anyone to not be able to put this book down, romance, mystery and a ghost, and still a
twist at the end. this is not just a summer read, but be prepared you need time to savour each page.
never read any of this auther before but am on my second of her books-another I cant put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cauldstane, 11 May 2014
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
A complex tale written in true Gothic style: a combination of Drama, mystery and romance. I loved the twists and turns. A real page turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 8 May 2014
Mary (Oxon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
What a cracking tale. This is a real page turner and I couldn't wait to get back to it after each reading session. Fast paced with just the right amount of shiver down the spine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Stayed up half the night to finish it, 5 May 2014
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
This is the 2nd Linda Gillard book that I've read, and I suspect I am going to work my way through her entire catalogue.

Linda writes intelligent books, where you're never quite sure what's going to happen next. A beautiful way with words, that weaves you into a story you don't want to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Let fear be far from all", 16 April 2014
Sharon Booth (East Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Linda Gillard novel I have ever read. I was attracted to it by the fact that it was compared with Daphne Du Maurier's classic, Rebecca, and by its rather gothic cover which was intriguing.

Imogen Ryan, a successful novelist, has turned to ghost-writing for other people as J J Ryan, after a very difficult time in her own life. After deliberately keeping quiet about her gender, she is hired by the famous explorer and adventurer, Sholto McNab, to tell his story, Jenny travels to Sholto's ancestral home, Cauldstane, a castle in the highlands of Scotland, to begin work on the book, and is made welcome by the laird's family - his two sons, Alec and Fergus, his sister Zelda, and loyal housekeeper Wilma. She soon wins over the laird himself, despite his initial reluctance to hire a woman, and begins work on his story, interviewing him daily as he recounts his adventures both exploring the world and at home. Sholto has been married twice and both wives died tragically. Alec, his eldest son, was also married but his wife met a tragic end, too. Fergus is unmarried and it seems he will remain so. Before long, Jenny hears of the family motto, "Let Fear be Far from All" and the reason for it - the McNab curse.
As she becomes involved in the lives of the family and grows to love the castle itself, Jenny finds herself in grave danger - because someone at the castle doesn't want her there, and that person is determined to get her out of the way, whatever it takes.

I was drawn into this book from the beginning. The idea of a remote Scottish castle, a curse, and a family who have suffered, and continue to suffer, because of it, was irresistible. Each character was interesting and the castle was a character itself, beautifully described and so crucial to the story that I found myself rooting for its survival.

Cauldstane is more than it appears at first. It is a ghost story, a love story, and also a study in fear and what that fear can do to a family living in its shadow. Can a curse destroy your life, even if you don't believe in it? As Jenny sees the family members losing faith and all hope, and faces the real possibility that Cauldstane will be lost to the McNabs, she has to somehow remind them of their family motto, and together they have to deal with their fears and find a way to defeat them once and for all.

At the heart of the story is the love between Jenny and Alec, Sholto's eldest son, who carries a burden that threatens to destroy him. He is well-written, noble, proud and honourable and I found myself quite falling for him. I'm a sucker for a laird, or even a laird-in-waiting it seems.

I am thrilled to have found a new author (to me) with several other novels that I can now download and enjoy. I read Cauldstane over the course of two evenings and it was with a heavy heart that I said goodbye to the castle and its wonderful inhabitants and closed down my Kindle. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 13 April 2014
M. Thurley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
A great book not a story similar to her others at all, but well written and really enjoyable from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant read!, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
I love this book, there's twists in it, there's a ghost in it, I
have looked forward to reading it when I got in bed at night
I'm sorry I've finished it now. Loved all the characters and you feel like you know them.
Please keep writing !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Linda Gillard, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
Loved the story and the characters. The book had me hooked after only a couple of chapters. I loved how the mystery built up surrounding the curse of the castle. A ghost story with a difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary, 18 Feb. 2014
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
Love Linda Gillard books but couldn't read this at night on my own as the descriptions were positively scary! Very Rebecca-ish. Can't wait for the next one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›