Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 May 2014
To be honest I've never really been a fan of roger daltrey or wilko Johnson in the past. Nothing against either of them but not my bag, for want of a better term.
When I heard the single on radio it immediately stood out though, something simplistic but very different about it. Different but in a way familiar. Real unpretentious, unadorned rock n roll. Catchy tunes but in no way cheeses or naff or cliched. They sound like they belong together, that gritty voice and the stripped back telecaster growl are perfect partners.
Right down the fabulous packaging the album feels like it's been around for ever, like you you just dug it out the back of your dad's collection!
Difficult to ignore the story of wilko's health problems surrounding this album and one can only hope this is not his last album, but should it turn out that way....what a way to go.
on 24 December 2015
A surprisingly enjoyable collection of songs which I hadn't very high expectations of when I bought it. The Feelgood classics are slightly mellowed and Roger Daltrey's gravelly voice is what I imagine Lee Brilleaux would have sounded like, had he still been with us. He adds a tunefulness that, with the best will in the world, Wilko lacks, so the result is closer to the original Feelgood than Wilko or the post-split Feelgood sounded. Saying that sounds as if this is just a hark back to the 1970s sound, but it is more than that and the newer songs have their merits too, One track, 'Climb out your window', sounds just like the Saw Doctors, another band I enjoy listening to. Overall, it's very impressive that either of these two can produce such convincing high-energy R&B and my only complaint is that the whole experience is too short.
on 8 December 2015
...just a bit too young to have seen Wilko-era Feelgood - but saw the Gypie Mayo lineup and quickly worked my way back to where it all began: then saw other later incarnations over another decade plus...

...Wilko then toured solo - actually backed by Norman Watt-Roy's stunning bass - which reaffirmed his mastery of his craft...

...well documented illness and 'against all odds' remission doubtless acted as a catalyst for this collaboration with Rog, and while I'd rather hear Brilleaux' vocals on the Feelgood numbers, I'm not really complaining...

...one little surprise is 'Some Kind Of Hero' which has a riff like a precursor to 'Sneaking Suspicion'...then leads straight into that track!...

...overall, a great return to form: long may it continue!

Joe
on 12 May 2014
If Roger Daltrey's intent was to rip the listeners a new one, well he succeeded. I will say if you are a fan of in your face, down 'n dirty R&B then this album is for you. The first track Going Back Home, Daltrey's voice is reminisant of Howlin' Wolf, Johnson's guitar licks are spot on and the rest of this album smokes. If you don't enjoy a syrup drink with an umbrella, like your whiskey straight with no chaser, then Going Back Home is the cocktail you have been waiting on. I have said that Roger Daltey is the best voice in Rock. This album goes a long way to prove my claim, as he departs from his Who style vocals and rips, shreads, and tears into every song. A must for any R&B, Dr Feelgood or Who fan. I rate this album a ten out of ten.
on 26 March 2014
As a fairly recent fan of Wilko, I have ordered alot of his back catalogue, and looked forward to this release with great interest. It is fantastic to hear Wilko's blistering riffs backed by a terrific band- while part of me prefers Wilko to sing his own tracks, Roger's vocal dexterity lends a new dimension to these classic tracks. Keep on rocking Wilko- one of this countries greatest and most unsung guitar heroes. You live forever.
on 26 December 2014
If you didn't buy the first CD, you will be rewarded with this double helping of cracking R & B. If you did buy it, don't worry, the second disk is worth the money alone. Thanks Wilko and thanks Roger for getting this out of the studio and over to us !!
on 26 March 2014
What an album! This really has lifted my spirit, thank you guys you have made a masterpiece.

I was lucky enough to see the band at the Shepherds Bush Empire and it was very emotional.

Roger has done a great thing here and his singing is as always brilliant,but on Turned 21 you will have a tear in your eye.A very touching song with just the right balance.

I am taking my 13 year old son tonight to the Royal Albert Hall,the band are playing for twenty minutes,before the support band and he is so exicited. Wilko if you do get a chance to read these reviews, thank you for all the love, devotion,you shown towards to your fans.
on 31 August 2014
Wilko Johnson is one of the all time greats, Roger Daltrey is one of the all time greats.Why it has taken the sad news of wilko's impending death from cancer to get the two together is a mystery to me.
Genius guitarist coupled with vocals to die for combined to leave the listener wanting more, which sadly there probably will not be.
i was lucky enough to see wilko johnson and the solid senders perform at Bradys ( formerly Eric's ). i also watched Dr Feelgood at three different venues. Therefore i am biased. But if you like good music and you're thinking of buying you will not be disappointed.
on 7 April 2014
Now this is a real thrill. Put a 70 year old vocalist with a 66 year old guitar player with terminal cancer and let them indulge in some rocking music and the results are breathtaking indeed. Daltry sounds so strong and Wilko plays like only Wilko does. And the boys on this album are having a whole load of fun. There must be many a young band who would love to rock like this masterpiece. This inspires, it rocks, it reminds you why you love rock and roll and you would just love to hear this performed live. This oozes everything that was wonderful with Dr Feelgood in their heyday. Wonderful throughout!
on 6 May 2014
...because your foot will be tapping so hard you may aggravate your condition. Sadly never saw the Feelgoods in the Wilko era but have seen Wilko a few times live over the last 10 - 15 years playing small pub venues supported by the equally legendary Norman Watt-Roy on bass. Guys like them are what music is all about in that they do it for the sheer love even after the fame has passed.

Was a bit worried when I heard about this collaboration because I just couldn't picture Daltrey's voice working with the material - to me he has a rock voice, not an R&B one - but I was pleasantly surprised to hear it does.

I even thought before buying it, and hearing it, that it would be one to listen to once and then keep on the shelf. Basically I bought it to put a few more bob on Wilko's pocket for his hopefully extended old age. But now I've heard it I know it will certainly stand up to repeated listening.

It reminds me a little of "The Original Blues Band Bootleg Album" - in that it's a bunch of white English guys that grew up in the 50s and 60s listening to black American R&B and falling in love with the music. They play it with a passion that really grips you. Wilko is a genuine original in a music business sadly lacking in such these days.

I hope he recovers from his major op and that I get to see him live again, because if he does recover you can bet he will keep on playing till the end and keeping it real