5.0 out of 5 stars Clever idea and brilliant to cook with
Published 8 months ago by Marand

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough in the set for the price
I was beyond thrilled to get these to try, however i am actually not that impressed.

The biggest concern for me is that there are only 2 saucepans, yep 2, i mean really?

When you cook a sunday dinner, i almost always have 4 saucepans on the go at once, spuds, carrots, cabbage, peas etc how am i supposed to cook a sunday dinner with 2 saucepans...
Published 8 months ago by Beanie Luck

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever idea and brilliant to cook with, 2 May 2014
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first came across these pans at a holiday cottage we stayed at in Corsica last summer. I have used them now on both induction and gas hobs and have found the pans to be excellent on both. They have sufficient weight to cook food evenly, with no sticking even with minimal amounts of oil. The thermospot system whereby the central disc changes colour to indicate that optimum temperature has been reached is actually useful and not a pointless gimmick. The pans are really easy to clean. Initially I didn't put them in the dishwasher fearing that the surface appearance would be damaged but one day I forgot and put a pan in without any ill-effects. Hand-washing is a doddle though as the non-stick surface is very good.

I really like the handle system. Storage is so much easier with the pans stacked one inside another without the handle and it is also an advantage if you are using all the burners on your hob. The handles clip on very securely - I have had saucepans with permanent handles which haven't felt as solid. It is handy to be able to brown meat on the hob before putting in the oven and not have to even think about changing pans. The plastic lids are very useful too - no need to transfer pre-prepared food from pan to storage container and back again.

This is a good comprehensive set - two sizes of frying pan, two saucepans, a good deep sauté pan and a stir fry pan, plus lids which fit the two saucepans and the sauté pan. The pans will also double as cake tins whilst the smaller of the two frying pans is perfect for making tarte tatin. The plastic lids for fridge storage only fit the two smallest pans. One slight disappointment is that the glass lids are not oven safe. It would have been nice to have oven-proof lids so that the pans could be properly used as casserole dishes. There are some additional accessories available - I am considering the steamer insert which fits into the sauté pan. There are also some splashguard lids and strainer lids and a grill tray which fits onto the frying pan but these aren't really of interest to me.

Overall though, this is a versatile set of pans, particularly useful for those with limited storage space. I cook a lot, and have a wide assortment of pans, but this set has become my default set for ordinary cooking. They aren't cheap but in my experience with cookware you get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tefal Set, 23 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
this is an excellent set and a worthy addition to any kitchen. As a recent graduate, all my past ktchenware has been treated faily badly by various people and has been generally shoddy to start with- so the non-stick capabilities have been a revelation to me!

I was unsure about the removable handles at first but they are sturdy and don't feel in risk of coming off and they allow the pans to nest together and take up minimal space in the cupboard. My only niggles are that there are only 2 of them (at least 3 would have been more practical for me) and that they're a little fiddly to clean around the clamp area.

So far I've made stir fries, curries and eggy bread all with great success, and I've tested the oven capabilities by baking a cookie in the small frying pan. which worked better than I could have hoped.

Overall I'm very happy and I'd recommend this set, especially to someone my their first 'grown-up' kitchen staples.

Edited to add- since writing this review 5 months ago, one of the handles has become stuck in the closed position and is now unusable :( Overall I'm still very happy but thought this detail might be an important dealbreakee for someone!

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice set of pans using some interesting ideas...but also some minor flaws, 16 Jun. 2014
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You wouldn't think that there's much that a company can change about a set of pans perhaps, but in this case Tefal have obviously gone back to the drawing board and had a think about what improvements could be made to your regular pans. Storage of pans has always been an issue in our house and so I was really pleased to see how well this set stacked as some bright spark has come up with the idea of removable handles. Sadly, for whatever reason, our set doesn't stack quite as nicely as illustrated in the picture even though we've tried to recreate it. I guess one or more of the pans are just a slightly different size. However, that said, they still stack very well and take up far less room than a conventional set of pans with their attached handles. The knobs/handles on the top of the pan lids even fold out flat so that the lids can stack flat on top of one another. Very clever!

The non-stick coating is really non-stick and seems quite thick and robust. These are, without a doubt, the most non-stick pans that I've ever owned. They also have a little heat indicator sign in them so that you can gauge when your pans are hot enough/too hot. The heat seems to distribute very evenly through these pans and they seem very solid and well made.

Now for the few minor quibbles that I have with them. First of all, the lids are not oven-safe which seems slightly daft for pans that are meant to be used in various guises from hob to oven. Next, the removable handles are a clever idea which allows for easier pan stacking and the clipping on/off mechanism seems to work very well. However, you can still get a slight sideways movement of the pan v the handle if you're shaking the pan, for example, and this does lead to a bit of scratching around where the handle attaches. I could also do with another handle or two because if I'm cooking a big dinner with many pans on the go at once it can be a little bit frustrating to have to keep clipping and unclipping the handles to transfer them from one pan to another. Also, I find that nearly every time I use these pans, food ends up getting stuck in the handle where it attaches inside the pan. Not a particular problem since I just pop them in the dishwasher along with the rest, but a bit annoying - especially if you're using the handles for multiple pans at the time. Another minor fault, in my eyes, is that the main pouring "spout" from the lid is opposite the cut-out for the handle. Therefore you can end up pouring almost vertically and risk the steam burning you. It is possible to pour from other sides of the lid as it doesn't quite touch all the way around, but this doesn't always work so well.

Re-reading the above that seems like quite a list of gripes! On the whole, though, I honestly do really like these pans - they seem like a quality set that should last a long time and do cook well. I'll be buying more handles if I can find them!

4.0 out of 5 stars friendly, 11 Jun. 2014
Victor Preston "gvb" (birmingham, west mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
a brilliant space saving kitchen pan set
this is also environmentally friendly, induction uses less power
not so sure about the build up lids and clip on handles
I can see these getting damaged with constant use
these are too pricey for the average home maker
tv chefs will love them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Class Pans, 28 May 2014
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well if you are in the market for non stick pans then look no further. Top class pans that cover most of the everyday needs and at the same time are very space efficient.

What we have here is a heavy duty aluminium Teflon coated pan set made in France - which at least has some cachet for cooking - that are well thought out and on initial use very high quality.

The base of each pan is thick and milled flat - always a good sign because they will transmit heat well and not warp. Mind you in all honesty I'm not sure if induction pans are susceptible to that or not.

The Teflon coating states that it has some form of titanium within it to increase the resistance to damage. That may well be the case but anyone with a bit of common sense would avoid using a sharp steel implement on one of these as eventually I'm sure some scratching would occur.

The induction pan idea is brilliant and almost as good as gas. We have an oven with both to be honest as some pans such as a wok is better on gas, however I have to say that 90% of our cooking is on the induction side. And whilst of course the advertisements say the induction system won't heat the pan that does not mean the hot food inside won't. In other words they will still eventually get hot.

Now the good or bad depending upon your point of view. These pans don't come with a fixed handle. There are two handles that clip on with a positive lock when a button is pressed. This obviously makes them slightly less convenient on the hob top than a pan with a handle but there are advantages.

Firstly you can put these in the oven as well. Because the handle can be removed it won't get damaged by the high heat. It also allows more pans to bit in the oven.

Secondly, it reduces the overall amount of room required for storage. That may well be a factor in a modern new house where the space is cut back as far as possible.

Thirdly, if you have young children taking the handles off when cooking reduces the chance of small hands grabbing something they should not.

Overall, I'd say these were the best non-stick pans I've seen. For induction units though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Pans, Small footprint, Big price, 20 May 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used to buy cheap cookware thinking it was better to replace them every year than pay through the nose for a decent set, but the Teflon coating would blister, peel and flake away so they were false economy. I took a chance with Tefal a few years ago and it paid off. I still have the pans and they are as good today as they when I first bought them. Naturally, I was more than happy to try out this new range.

The first thing I noticed was the moderately small box these were packed into, much smaller than a full set with handles attached. This is a massive bonus for me as I don't have a lot of kitchen storage available. These pans all nest inside of each other and because the handles are detached they don't all sit at an odd angle with handles taking up valuable room.

If you are familiar with the Tefal range then you will know just how good these pots and pans feel. They are a decent thickness with a strongly bonded Teflon layer that doesn't suffer the same fate as cheaper alternatives. Although I always avoid it, they are reported to be resistant to metal utensils (with the exception of knives and whisks) and are quite happy to have the bases of the other pans sat on the coating when nested together. With the exception of the saucepans, they have the red thermal spot indicator to show the correct temperature has been reached for cooking. They are easy to clean and as the non-stick quality is so good they are pretty much clean after a quick rinse. They are dishwasher safe, although some fading is evident on the underside. As the handles are detachable they are easier to load in the dishwasher. Though I have to say that they are so easy to wash, I find it quicker to hand wash these than to load them in the dishwasher.

The detachable handles take a little getting used to. It seems a bit odd to put a pan on the stove and then remove the handle. The handle simply clicks into place anywhere on the outer lip and a press of the side buttons releases it. The thought of a clip on handle filled me with images of the pan falling off, but as soon as it clips on you know the pan is clamped tight and is not going to fall off. I don't think you could fill the pan with enough weight for it to break off and it is reported to take up to 10 kg and that is a lot of weight. The other advantage of a detachable handle s that there is no handle to knock or catch when on the stove, but do remember where you put the handle when you have a pot on the boil.

The glass lids have a silicone surround which protects it from knocks and some drops and also allows the pan to ventilate. The handles are like butterfly wings that fold up to pick up and fold flat to pack. There is also a set of plastic lids should you wish to store the contents of a pot or pan in the fridge for a few days/hours.

All these pans worked on my gas hob, but I loaned this set to a relative who has an induction cooker. She reported that they all worked as expected and commented on what a great set it was.

This is a well made, high quality set that should last for years with the right care and attention. The idea of removable handles and ability to move from hob to oven, stack inside each other and also use for food storage is something that makes you think "Why wasn't this done years ago".

I would highly recommend this set and I would say that it is 5 star quality, but you need to think carefully about what you need. There are only 2 saucepans, so you cannot immediately replace all of your older cookware. I think they may have been better off sacrificing a frying pan or sauté pan for another saucepan and lid. The current price of 200 GBP is a real blow to the budget, you may be better off buying the 3 piece induction saucepan set and a 2 piece induction frying pan set which works out at the current price of 128 GBP (although there are no lids).

5.0 out of 5 stars Really clever system, 23 April 2014
MousieTongue's KM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great little item, and wonderfully space saving (as you can see from the picture on the product page - it nests together just like that, which is about a third of the space that a normal pan set of this size would take up. The non-stick coating is effective, and the removable handles are a great idea - truly hob to oven.

The only real weaknesses I can see at this point are:

1. The handles clamp down on the inside of the pan - which means it's pretty easy to get food inside the clamping mechanism (I did it on the first usage - it washed out easily enough, but it would be better if it there were a ridge or something for it to grip onto on the outside of the pan, so that this would not be an issue)

2. There are only three pan lids provided, and they do not cover the full range of pan sizes provided. You could possibly argue that a fry pan doesn't need a lid (though I like mine to), but the one that looks like a deep casserole pan really ought to have a lid in the corresponding size)

Vine reviews have to be written within 30 days, so I will update my review in about 6 months and let you know if it is as hard-wearing as it looks - sooner if it detriorates sooner (it looks pretty hard-wearing)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 17 Jun. 2014
Stuart Burns (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These have now become our pans of choice. Like buying a new cooker, these have made the preparation of food much more, well, relevant. The frying pans especially make the process of cooking something like bacon much easier, the food coming out much more evenly browned on both sides.

5.0 out of 5 stars You pay top dollar, you get good quality., 18 Jun. 2014
Jack Chakotay "Ender Brazil" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Used on electric hob. Great to cook with and the colour changing thermospot is great when you have it.

Nice heft, made of aluminium with Teflon coat. The set has two frying pans, two saucepans (lidded), one saute (lidded) and one stir fry pan. There are plastic lids that will fit the saucepans to cover cool left overs and allow transfer of the entire saucepan to the fridge.

The handle system is great. Its early days, but they clip on very securely. The storage is very neat, and I find myself putting a cloth in the saute pan and set the handles in there. I threw out all but one old frying pan because I have moved on up in the cooking department with these babies.

Now the most important changes to the cleaning up is 1) soaking separately prior to washing ie don't dump any utensils in, 2) separating anything materials that can scour 3) using only wood. So far so good, no obvious scratching. I would almost be happy to serve straight ( ie bring to table, set and remove handle) if it wasn't for being wary of the stray scrape.

They are pricey, but they feature innovation and design that is very hard to find elsewhere. They'll serve you well but you have to treat them right.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so... GREAT, 9 Jan. 2015
D. Yong (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tefal 13-Piece Ingenio Induction Set (Kitchen & Home)
I've used these for a couple of weeks now and really like them.

The pans seem quite heavy duty and the removable handles mean that they save a lot of space our relatively limited kitchen. I have kept the cardboard bits that they came with to use as dividers for stacking, in case they scratch each other. The handles are very slightly loose on some pans, not sure why, but no more than my previous pans' handles after a few months usage. I can see that after a while some of the pots may develop scratches around he rim of the pot where the handle sits.

Its great having pans that can be transferred directly from the hob to the oven and I have used these as baking trays also for small bits.

I think that part of my enjoyment of these pots comes from the induction technology itself, which is like MAGIC! and most of the rest comes from the removable handles. the non stick surface is as expected - non stick - and helps with certain dishes. overall I am extremely happy with the purchase.

Tefal 13-Piece Ingenio Induction Set