Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.49

on 3 February 2014
I love pretty much everything James Mercer does so it was not a big decision to buy. The Shins last album Port of Morrow was a mixed bag but contained a few gems (simple song, rifle spiral) but this is top notch all the way through, and a better initial listen than the first effort with Danger Mouse. Highlights at the moment are Holding on for life, control and perfect world but I can imagine the other worming their way into my brain in no time.
on 16 July 2014
Broken Bells, consisting of Danger Mouse and the Shins' James Mercer, released a self-titled album in 2010, which feels like an eternity ago in the current music business environment. Since that time, James Mercer released a new Shins album in which he is the only remaining original member of the band, and Danger Mouse has continued his high profile producer career. It wasn't clear whether the 2010 album would be a one-off. After that new Shins album in 2012, Mercer and Mouse started working on new material. Now comes the second album.

"After The Disco" (11 tracks; 46 min.) starts off with a number of incredibly strong tracks. The ambitious 6 1/2 min. "Perfect World" opens the album, and comes with a nice instrumental outro. The title track follows, and I must tell you that it is my favorite track on the album, a perfect 3 min. of pop-disco (with lyrics that go The chill of night has got you dancing away/And I'm not the dreamer or the dream you're/Out there looking for". Next comes "Holding On For Life", which is what the Bee Gees would sound like today if they still made new music. Those three songs along are worth the admission price. Further into the album, another great tune is "Control", again finding that sweet spot between pop and dance. The album falters a bit towards the end, in particular with "Medicine" and "The Angel and The Fool", but makes up for it with the album closer, another ambitious tune "The Remains of Rock and Roll".

In all, this is quite the album, and in fact for me it is MILES better than the first album. It probably doing Danger Mouse an injustice because to me it sounds like a James Mercer album that strays not all that far from the recent Shins album, a James Mercer solo album in all but name. "After the Disco" is a very pleasant surprise and I can only hope they will take this on the road to (or somewhere close to) Cincinnati. "After the Disco" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 12 April 2014
The first 3 tracks are for me the best 3 tracks on the album,and the title track,After The Disco, will be right up there with the best tunes to come out this year. If you liked the first album then this is a step further in the right direction,not perfection by any means but a very,very good album. Shins and James Mercer fans will certainly find it appealing.
on 1 March 2014
Great CD. It takes be back to the disco era, refreshing sounds, will deffo buy further CD's when released !
on 23 February 2014
I bought this for my boyfriend for valentines day because he loves broken bells. And because I bought the CD, I got a free digital copy, which was cool. I've listened to it a few times, and I like it, despite the fact that it's not necessarily my kind of music. It came on time and in good condition, thank you.
on 11 March 2015
This is a difficult one: it sounds quite middle of the road and is easy digestible but the melodies are good and it has some funny references to well known bands like the Beegees. Don't analyze this too much but just enjoy the easy listening after a long day of work!
on 2 November 2014
Listened to this album on a flight back from Cancun recently and found it really easy to listen to - just had to buy it on my return to listen to it again. Hadn't heard of the band before but what a fantastic album, Its just lovely easy listening.
on 7 February 2015
What can I say? Apart from this is a must have record!! Simply beautiful and quite genius in my opinion. If you like Broken Bells get it now!
on 26 September 2014
Such a good album. Any combination of words that I can string together would never do it justice.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2014
It makes a change to hear something good that isn't in the same mould of other artists.