5.0 out of 5 stars Esther Rantzen - paperback, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Paperback)
I gave my original copy of this book away, and wished I hadn't as its a book you can pick up again, so sent for the paperback versionto read a second time. Loved Esther's views and opinions.

5.0 out of 5 stars If not now, when?, 11 Jun 2014
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Kindle Edition)
I remembered Esther from 'That's Life!' a TV consumer affairs series and took a look.

She's gone fairly thoroughly into the state of elder care and nursing homes in Britain. Selling your house and taking the proceeds will be the first step the government takes. So you can't go home again. Your family won't get the benefit of your hard work. And people in the same nursing home, getting the same care, will not be paying a penny, because they never saved and never bought a house.

While Esther doesn't say so explicitly, she hints that spending your money before the government takes it might be the way to go. She and her family went on a dream holiday to Africa and one year later her husband was dead. Now they have all the great memories and they know he enjoyed that experience.

There are so many ways older people can be part of the community and through computers, connect with other people. If you've ever wanted to learn an instrument, start a project, record your family's history, join amateur dramatics, write a book - start now. If not now, when? When you are older it may be too late. Health issues crop up suddenly and with greater severity the older you are. Mobility and sight may suddenly become problems. And when you are ninety-three, Nurse won't let you.

I read this book with my mother in mind and even as I was reading I was learning good lessons for her future and for mine. Thanks, Esther.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartening, so very heartening, 20 Mar 2009
M.I. "migoe" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Paperback)
It is true that ageism continues to be a particularly tasteless form of discrimination in modern society. I'm not alone in having experienced this many times. It seems to be thought that we (I'm 61) should just crawl into a corner somewhere and be thankful we're still alive. And this is a viewpoint shared by government, no less. In the last year or two, retired people's leisure classes, a valuable way of making contact, have largely ceased. All such activity, we're told, should be 'work-related'. To people who are retired, this evidently makes no sense.
No, that's not Esther's way of thinking, any more than it is mine. I'm not going to lie down and die. When I've actually been criticised for persisting with language work rather than clipping my hedges, I've replied in kind. If I'm aging physically, it doesn't mean my brain has to stiffen and die. No,not at all. I've time now to do even more, for I'm retired and have the opportunity.
Anyone over 30 is fit only for the anteroom to the graveyard? No, not me. If anyone appears brain-dead, it's the routine-bound younger adult or the grunting adolescent, glued to the rustling i-pod. I read, keep reading, and enjoy reading - and many other things, such as writing this review. Splash out on Esther's book, and take its message seriously - but nothing else. Life's too short.

If Not Now, When?