Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.49

on 4 June 2001
If you have a sense of humour, buy this book. You and everyone who knows that you have it will enjoy it time after time - provided you can get it back after you've lent it out!
It is one of the earliest (and hence, best) of Asterix's adventures. Every page has its share of visual jokes, the narrative twists and turns its way up and down the Nile and we are treated to the usual selection of Asterix stalwarts: the Pirates, the Roman Patrol with their dreadful string of puns and the banquet at the end of the journey.
We learn the solutions to the mysteries of Egyptian Heiroglyphs, the sadly truncated state of the Sphynx's nose and it is revealed how Gaulish labour relations and building techniques were adopted by the Egyptians - at least on one project!
A lot of work from Goscinny, Uderzo, Bell and Hockridge went into this book (see front cover) and it shows. If only the later books were as well thought out...
Other Asterix books you should definitely have are:- Asterix the Legionary (where we see the heiroglyphs again), Asterix in Britain, Asterix in Spain and Asterix the Gladiator. If this finds you wantng more then continue with the others written by Goscinny - all of them are good. Do not buy any written by Uderzo on his own; he draws well but his writing is not up to the same standard as the sadly missed René Goscinny. It is difficult to understand why he continued on his own instead of partnering up with someone more able.
Don't forget Tintin!
on 8 August 2004
'Asterix and Cleopatra' is the 6th of 31 adventures published between 1961and 2001; This adventure is from 1965, and it was the second adventure to be published in the UK (in 1969). This adventure is sumptuous. It has Caesar and Cleopatra; it has stunning Egyptian architecture; it has slave unrest; it has our heroes in peril, with even Obelix (who fell into the magic potion when he was a baby) being offered some extra magic potion to help them out of a tight spot. Following an argument with Julius Caesar, Cleopatra commissions architect Edifis to build a magnificent palace. Druid Getafix, aided by Asterix and Obelix, travel to Egypt to help. Rival architect Artifis seeks to foil the construction. This is a classic adventure which I would class in the top 5 Asterix adventures. Many jokes mimic the Elizabeth Taylor Hollywood movie 'Cleopatra'. Egyptian building (including the Sphinx) is made fun of, and our heroes face some mild peril helping the palace to be built in the face of considerable opposition. Egyptian speech is often shown as Egyptian hieroglyphics, with subtitles (very funny). This new re-inked and re-coloured edition has been criticised for an updated front cover. The 1969 edition has a cover making fun of the 'Cleopatra' movie poster: 'The Greatest story ever drawn'; a cover now out of style with other books and so I can understand the decision to slightly re-draw the cover. When Artifis reads the Daily Nile newspaper, you can marginally see two strip cartoons: Ptarzan and Pnuts. In my 1969 copy, the Pnuts cartoon clearly contains Charlie Brown. In the modern re-release, this is changed, perhaps for copyright reasons. This 'restored' book, together with the excellent story, make this one of the finest Asterix adventures to own and enjoy.
on 18 March 2012
This has been my favourite book since childhood, and now is a firm favourite with my 7 year-old-son. In fact, in two weeks time we are doing a tour of Egypt based on this book. We will be visiting the taverns Asterix and Obelisk hid the barrel of magic potion in, walking about the ruins of Squareonthehypotenuse's villa and, of course, looking for the Sphinx's nose. Let's just hope the sky doesn't fall on our heads!
`Asterix and Cleopatra' is another delightful adventure where our Gaulish heroes travel to Egypt to help Cleopatra win a bet with Julius Caesar by building a palace within three months. There are plenty of jokes about hieroglyphics and the beauty of Cleopatra's nose, which is one of the main jokes of the book. She has a foul temper but her nose is stunning! The artwork is as good as we have come to expect and the little touches throughout make this wonderful to sit and read again and again. I love looking at what goes on behind the main action and the looks on characters faces and things they get up to. As is customary with Asterix books you gets lots of humorous names and in this book we have Edifis, Artifis, Mintjulip and more besides and these always raise a wry smile. This book takes in all the main sights of Egypt (Pyramids, Alexandria, Sphinx, Luxor etc) and shows us how the sphinx lost it's nose in typical Asterix book fashion. There is plenty of Roman and pirate bashing and the customary feast at the end so all the main bases are covered for those who already know the books. This is one of the better Asterix books in the series (it is number 6) and would make for a great introduction if you are new to the series, or a worthy addition for existing fans.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
VINE VOICEon 13 May 2014
This is the sixth Asterix adventure and possibly one of the best. Cleopatra makes a bet with Caesar to prove that Egypt is a great nation. “In three months’ time I’ll have a magnificent palace built for you in Alexandria!”

Cleopatra gets local architect Edifis to build it but three months is not enough time, although he has an idea. He can use the magic powers of his friend the druid Getafix.

So Asterix, Obelix and Getafix, or as Caesar describes them, “an old druid with a white beard, a cunning little one and a stupid great oaf” go to Egypt to help build the temple

Of course things aren’t plain sailing with Edifis’s rival architect Artifis doing his best to scupper their efforts, and Caesar himself interfering, but in the end the job is done.

There are lots of jokes in this one with clever use of hieroglyphics in speech bubbles for example. All-in-all this is one of the best Asterix stories.
on 14 October 2015
I loved these books when I was young but having bought this for my 7 year old son I have found that he is frustrated by the writing - which is in a fine type, capital letters throughout and an old fashioned font too! Great pictures and story but difficult for young readers to enjoy on their own - which is a great shame.
on 16 March 2013
This was one of the first Asterix books I read & was a gift to me to me from my parents. I still have it around 15 years later,

Great story, the usual humour & a happy ending including a giant feast with lots of wild boar.

What else can we expect!?
on 31 March 2014
Described as the greatest story ever drawn, it's certainly true. With all the humour, historical connections, exciting adventure and the fancy characters' names, a must for all Asterix fans!
on 2 January 2016
Asterix and Cleopatra is one of the funniest book I have read because the pictures are great and the writing is in 2 languages. Asterix, Obelix and Getfix rock!!!
on 18 February 2013
I bought this for a friend in recognition for the advise and assistance they gave. I cannot comment on the quality of the item as it was not read by myself.