Published 7 months ago by CW

3.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging and insightful
Published 1 month ago by Scott

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I could have been reading about myself or any number of my friends, 31 Jan 2014
I was stunned by this book. I could have been reading about myself! Sober is the New Black gives a clear description of how wine infiltrates every aspect of our lives and quickly goes from being a pleasant treat, to a means of coping, and finally to dictating and destroying all that we value. By the time we notice this is happening it's too late to cut back or moderate; it has a strong grip and is not for letting go easily.
When she eventually manages to start to stop drinking, Rachel describes how much we `want, yet don't want', wine. She agonises over social situations and wonders how she will cope. Every day presents a new challenge and she details the ways she finds to navigate around these obstacles with great honesty.
I liked the point Rachel makes that it is a positive choice to remain free from alcohol. It is not a disease over which we are powerless. It is not a flaw in our character. It is an addictive substance with it's own agenda. Becoming free from alcohol is not about `giving up' and deprivation. It is about giving a different way of life a chance to show what it may hold in store for you, should you choose to follow it.
Rachel never imagined how much she would get, from giving up. She was surprised by the changes to her personality, her priorities and her pursuits that were revealed as she emerged from the clutches of wine, and decided she liked herself much better that way.

Sober is the New Black is for any woman who has wondered if she drinks too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Read, 13 Mar 2014
Great honest account, quick easy read and very easy to relate to when you have been in this position. Recommended if you are ditching the booze to help you realise you are not on your own, and there is more to life than getting smashed. Loved Rachel's 'then & now' accounts..scarily accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational book, 8 Mar 2014
I too felt as though I was reading about myself when I read this book - which incidentally I could not put down and read in one day. Rachel tells it like it is - good and bad, but she has managed to come through it. She talks about the realisation that having just one drink is not an option to someone who is addicted to alcohol. The same slippery slope ALWAYS follows. I would fully recommend this book to anyone who is trying to give up alcohol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sober Thoughts, 30 Jan 2014
An interesting personal account from someone who examines the destructive effect that alcohol had on her life. The writer uses a Before and After format that works well allowing the reader to see the many benefits to be gained from a life of sobriety. The style is easy and engaging but the clear analysis allows the reader to see into the mindset of the individual as she compares life before and after booze. An enlightening read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sober is the New Black: A Then and Now Account of Life Beyond Booze (alcoholics anonymous, wine time, alcoholic, alcohol, stop drinking) (Kindle Edition)
I only give five star reviews to books which are life-changing. I also think that too many five star reviews on a book looks suspiciously like croneyism. But I did feel that this was a very good book, and should be read by anyone worried that alcohol might be taking centre stage in their lives.

This book shows very effectively how alcohol can insidiously, destructively and completely take over a life. Throughout it powerfully juxtaposes events in the author's life--business conferences, family holidays, book club meetings--when she was drinking, and after she stopped. There's always a risk with this sort of personal memoir that it can become egocentric and dull, but this one avoids that on two counts. First, because Rachel will resonate with so many readers as a typical working mother, someone they can relate to. Second, because it doesn't go too deeply into aspects of her life (we never learn the names of her children or her Other Half, or what job she does) and stays firmly focussed on the subject of alcohol.

I particularly liked the metaphor where the author compares lifelong abstinence with her mortgage. Both are burdens which look huge and terrifying when viewed as a whole, but are manageable and life-affirming on a day-to-day basis.

The book well written, interesting and not overlong, but for me its best feature is the overriding optimism and delight on every page. If it has one message, it's that the sober life is wonderful (I fully endorse that). Rachel was evidently taken by surprise to find how much better everything, from social events to Christmas, is when you're not focussing solely on wine and how to drink as much of it as possible without anyone noticing. That brightness and assurance shines throughout the book and lifts it above other "sobriety memoirs". In fact, I would say that it should be required reading for anyone starting their journey to an alcohol-free life, because it will reassure them that not only is it something they have to do, but the rewards are considerable, and almost immediate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 14 Mar 2014
Whether you want to give up alcohol or have given up, this book is a must! Rachel's 'then and nows' are the perfect way to give you the incentive to turn your life around or just keep going with your sober journey! It really is the BEST book I've read so far and will keep it close to me at all time. Thank you Rachel........

5.0 out of 5 stars Sobering yet inspiring, 8 Mar 2014
Wholeheartedly agree with previous reviews - strikes an all-too familiar chord! An honest and fascinating personal account and insight into giving up drinking alcohol. Would highly recommend to anyone wondering about their drinking habits, considering a period of abstinence and anxious about what life might look like on the other side.

3.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging and insightful, 6 July 2014
An easy read (it took me two sittings and about 90 minutes) and a really encouraging set of personal insights that reveal the vulnerabilities and challenges for the self-aware problem drinker as they follow their road to recovery. For me it was a little too focused on the 'self' and not the impact both alcoholism and sobriety can have on others, but such is the mind of the alcoholic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 30 May 2014
Really interesting and helpful book, well worth a read for every alcohol drinking woman. Loved it. Very well written and upbeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book!, 29 May 2014
This book clinched it for me. Rachel writes in an insightful, witty, un-put-downable way, and every busy, intelligent woman who just can't wait for wine o'clock will find themselves looking in the mirror! She addressed all my concerns, everything that pushed my buttons, and got me to a point where I was no longer giving something up, I was on the threshold of a calm and joyous future. She was so right. Read it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›