5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, wish i purchased sooner
Published 7 months ago by pastry

3.0 out of 5 stars Good monitor, bad customer support.
I bought this monitor a little while back when upgrading from a TV. First off, the monitor was fantastic.
Pros:
• Easy to set up
• Attractive
• Great resolution and response time
Cons:
• Price
• Buttons on the side of the monitor can be awkward
• BenQ customer service

I had the monitor...
Published 3 months ago by Ben F.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, wish i purchased sooner, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: BenQ XL2411Z 24-inch LED Gaming Monitor (1000:1, 350 cd/m2, 1920 x 1080, 1 ms, VGA/DVI-DL/HDMI) (Accessory)
Overall this monitor exceeded most of my expectations as i was a non believer that 120hz made any difference to gameplay. This monitor has made playing games far more enjoyable as i can play more hours on end without being tired. Not having Motion Blur has made this monitor amazing to play on, much much better than my old one. So are there any bad points, well there are but they have no impact on the game as for me the colours really were lacking, however if you have a Nvidia card you can turn vibrancy all the way up to 100% and immediately there is a huge difference. Also you will need to tweak the settings as they do make for better colours. I would have liked for a much better yellow, however i cant complain as this has been a excellent upgrade. If however you were looking for a gaming monitor but you wanted editing, or to view movies i might suggest you have a second mmonitor for that as the quality of videos is good but there is a noticeable difference after a few minutes but this was purely for gaming so i am happy with my purchase, and hopefully it will last me a few years like my old one :) (no hickups so far)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good monitor, bad customer support., 28 July 2014
Pros:
• Easy to set up
• Attractive
• Great resolution and response time
Cons:
• Price
• Buttons on the side of the monitor can be awkward
• BenQ customer service

I had the monitor only for a couple of days until I had noticed a dead pixel near the right of the centre of the screen. I figured if would be okay as every company gets faulty items and I would just be able to return it and get a new one. Nope. I contacted BenQ and the first time, they hadn't replied. After waiting a week and a half, I contacted them again and this time they replied and claimed that the dead pixel I had described was not in their policy for replacing (either 3 in a row on anywhere but the centre or 1 in the centre) and they refused to replace it. At this point, I had to rely on Amazon with their fantastic customer service and they posted another monitor when they received the broken one the next day. It's been matter of weeks and it seems okay so overall it's a good monitor minus the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good monitor but ultimately i had to return it, 21 Sep 2014
Mr. P. Chagar - See all my reviews
My monitor came with Version 2 firmware

Used this monitor for less than a month and even though it is a very good monitor i had to return it.

The positives:

1)The best stand for any screen i have ever used. You can put it in so many different positions. The base of the stand is quite deep so make sure you have a desk which is quite deep also. Otherwise it will be right in your face.
2)The color is quite good for a TN panel once you have calibrated it (there are a few sites with calibration settings)
3)Response time is excellent. I played battlefield 4 as soon as i got it and it instantly felt more responsive to my old monitor.
4)Lots of different picture options and settings.
5)The remote control feature to change settings is very handy
6)Lots of input options
7)This is a 27inch 1080p monitor some people are a loss of detail but i found this monitor to have plenty of detail in the picture.
8)144hz makes a big difference when when playing FPS games just make your you have a graphics card that can contantly keeps those numbers or its a waste of money.

The Negatives:
1)When playing fifa there is obvious trailing/overshooting when the camera sweeps across the pitch.
2)Even though i have the version 2 firmware and using the blur buster software i found that it caused way to many artifacts and weird image issues. The blur reduction feature for me was kind of useless and i just kept it off with all games.
4)Viewing angles aren't great but expected with a TN panel
5)The touch buttons sometimes dont respond and can be frustrating. You cannot turn the monitor on using the remote control
6)Some screen uniformity. Which is apparent when watching dark movies. Some areas of the monitor are lighter than others which is frustrating.
7)When setting a the monitor to 144hz refresh rate i found that my R9 280x would not down clock when i was not playing games this meant that temps on my card were always high. Switching to 120hz fixed the problem. I googled the issue and it happens to nvidia cards also. So Nvidia and Amd need to address this issue in a driver update.

Ultimately the reason i returned this monitor because for the price and the trailing issues i could not justify keeping it.

But with games like Counter strike or any other game for that matter the trailing/overshooting was less apparent.

Its is a decent monitor but not for every game

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothin short of fantastic. Delivery was next day even though I ordered ..., 16 Sep 2014
So I've had this a week.

Nothin short of fantastic.

Delivery was next day even though I ordered at 15:30 so don't be fooled by the dispatch and delivery times.

Colors and quality is amazing. Please note that when wanting to use the 144hz refresh rate that you need to use the DVI cable supplied as HDMI only supports 60hz. I didn't realise this and started to worry.

Worth every penny. Can't recommend it enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent monitor for the price - but not without some niggles, 19 Mar 2014
Let me start off by saying that for the price, this monitor is very good and should satisfy most.

However, there were a couple of issues that I should mention. Firstly, out of the box, the settings on this monitor are terrible - so much so that I thought there was something wrong with it and I was contemplating sending it back. The fonts on small text were really blurry with some ghosting clearly visible around desktop icons as well as text. Similarly the colours were really bad and looked very washed out.

Fortunately, this is fixable by changing the settings to Standard (seems to work best for me) and then adjusting brightness, contrast and gamma to suit. At this point I haven't quite got the settings to a point where I'm comfortable with them yet but I'm sure a few more tweaks and I'll be there.

One other problem is that when viewing the screen colours around the bottom of the screen appeared washed out compared to colours in the middle or top of the screen. It turns out that this is due to the height of the monitor. If I lowered my head, the colours at the bottom of the screen didn't appear as washed out. So in other words, the colours look great if your viewing angle is perpendicular to the screen. Unfortunately the monitor doesn't have a height adjuster - although this was easily fixed by propping the monitor up on a few books.

So whilst neither of these issues are major deal-breakers it's worth bearing in mind when you do first plug it in that some manual adjustment is necessary. That said, for the price, it's hard to complain because the monitor is great once the small niggles are sorted out.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?, 22 May 2014
M. A. Eccles (York England) - See all my reviews
I was originally after a 27-29" monitor, but the price hike is massive for a quality monitor in that range. This is an affordable, excellent and very versatile monitor, and I'm happy with the compromise I made.

I have my PC plugged via dvi, both Xbox 360 and Xbone plugged in via hdmi slots, and there's stll the vga available if needed, so no cable swapping required.

I haven't really fiddled with the varied settings, apart from using the many pre sets dependant on what I'm doing, but they are all good, great for my aging eyes.

No eye strain after prolonged viewing or gaming sessions, and the lack of any flickering (I'm very sensitive to it), is great too.

I've now mounted the monitor on the wall, but the stand was very sturdy, though height adjustment would have been nice.

The speakers are adequate for basic use, but are now redundant as my surround sound has taken over.

Utoob has a few helpful setup clips from people who seem to know their stuff, and if this monitor is good enough for pro gamers, it's good enough for a ropey old git like me.

Worth a punt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 Dec 2013
I did lot of research for a perfect monitor for gaming and I think I found it! It is just brilliant! Quality of image is not the best, but you are buying this monitor for it's response time. I am using this with my console and I had no problems so far. And talking about the size, it's right about what I need - not too big, not too small. Very nice monitor. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Picture is bright and sharp no visual blurring, 3 Sep 2014
Bought this for my sons gaming pc to upgrade his old 17inch lcd.
Picture is bright and sharp no visual blurring that can be noticed, impressive screen and great clarity, was concerned that it wasnt the very latest tech but needed not have been concerned as excellent quality monitor for gaming.

Only reason gave 4 and not 5 stars as could not get the screen to work using HDMI cable don't know if this is a monitor problem or problem with windows 8.1, if it turns out to be a windows problem then will give 5 stars.
Not height adjustable but that's a minor quibble,excellent monitor go and buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good monitor, 16 July 2014
Setting up the monitor is really good. It can be adjusted so it is pointing up, down or straight or portrait so you can pretty much set it up however you want. Out of the box you are going to want to go into the settings and find the right one for you. It looked horrible to me at first, so I went in, changed the display mode to sRGB and turned the brightness up and it looked much better.

One thing I don't like is the way half the settings are inaccessible depending on the display mode. For example, I want to make use of the black equalizer but to do that I have to switch to another (worse) picture mode.

Speaking of the black equalizer, it's quite a useful tool, but only because the monitor creates the problem in the first place. My old monitor's blacks were not very black, but as a result I could see things in the black areas. This monitor's blacks are much more blacker, so they give you the option of making blacks worse so you can see things in them. To decide whether this feature is worth consideration you just have to decide: Picture quality or competitive advantage?

Another good thing is that you can set certain quick access settings so you don't have to go through the full menu system to get to it; very useful for me as I change the brightness a lot due to using it in direct sunlight sometimes and darkness sometimes.

This brings me onto the brightness. It's really good. Not quite as bright as my laptop screen, but that's because my laptop is crazy bright. This screen is also really bright and can be used in direct sunlight partly due to the brightness and partly due to the matte finish. When it's dark you can turn it right down quickly and easily.

Picture quality is really good. I've never used an IPS display, so I can't comment on how good it is in comparison to those, but I can say the blacks, contrast and general quality is a large improvement over my 2009 Samsung monitor which was more washed out, dimmer and less vibrant than this. I would expect IPS displays are better for this, however you then lose the 144Hz which is this monitor's biggest selling point.

The refresh rate, I love it. Ever since I realised my laptop had a 120Hz screen I could no longer accept 60Hz on my desktop, so I had to get this monitor. Everything just looks smoother and it's especially noticeable in fast moving moments of a game, for example a replay of your car flashing past or spinning around to shoot someone behind. It also reduces the amount of input lag which is especially noticeable on the racing sims I play.

Yes I would recommend this monitor, it's really good, but I'm in two minds as to whether I should have waited a bit longer to see if a 120Hz IPS monitor or a 120Hz 4K (can my computer even do that?) monitor was to come available, but hey, the longer it is until one comes out the better a decision it was to just get this monitor now.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING! Perfect for games like Call of Duty, 2 Aug 2013
I just received this monitor today and all i can say is "wow". The picture is just amazing, and to start with you can definitely feel the response time difference between an larger TV (which i was previously using) and this monitor. I would recommend this monitor to anyone who likes to play games on a competitive level, as this monitor will definitely give you the things required to take your game one step further and will give you the edge over all other players.