4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture
Pleased with the TV so far. The picture is excellent and the sound is an improvement from my last Sony TV. The slimmed down bezel looks really nice and the stand works well.

Some extra features - Netflix button, football button, radio button, full HD, apps etc.

Published 6 months ago by Tim

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture - Great. Sound - not so good.
Bedroom TV.

I purchased this TV for a couple of reasons, the main reason being - iPlayer is no longer supported and stopped working on my bedroom Sony Blu-ray player (BDPS-570) and my existing 2007 KDL-32D3000 not having any SMART capabilities at all left me needing a bedroom upgrade!

The TV itself is very well made, a small aluminium bezel around...
Published 9 months ago by Mr Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture, 11 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Sony KDL32W705B 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart TV with Freeview - Black (Electronics)

Positives: Picture quality, design, price, easy set-up (in theory!), functionality, loads of inputs/outputs.

Negatives: Had trouble tuning channels - Sony weren't much help but John Lewis were - looks like it needed to be tuned in prior to setting up wi-fi for some reason, so worth trying that if you have a similar issue. Lag on start-up before functions work, as mentioned in other reviews - if this is the price to pay for having streaming apps then i'd rather just have a great TV and buy a separate streaming box. Apps can be a bit clunky. Limited choice of good quality apps. No favourites button - it seems like you can edit your favourites (all 4 of them!) but not actually access them, i'm prob missing something tho.

Apps: No ITVplayer or 4OD, which seems bizarre. No Now TV app, so streaming box needed to get sky sports as pay per view, which should also add the other missing apps. Netflix of course. You Tube is good, Amazon Prime also. Picasa. Lots of other apps, mostly very niche and uninspiring. Apps and app store as a whole ok'ish to use but can be slow to respond.

Other: I-manual on the remote covers most things. Remote syncing/screen mirroring (haven't tried them out yet). Related search is great - it tells you all about the programme, including details of any song playing at the time! Poss worth waiting for the 2015 model vs. cheaper price for 2014 model/sales season. Radio button is a nice touch. Roku through HDMI worked straight away. At the moment I prefer my Roku streaming to the services that come with the TV, as it's speedier, better design and better to use. Do we really need 3 al jazeera channels? How about some French/Irish/Spanish content etc. I'd definitely recommend using the graphic equaliser to improve the sound, as it makes a big difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV that delivers Superb Picture Quality and Features at a good price. RECOMMENDED., 30 Sept. 2014
I considered a few TV's before buying this KDL42W705B, our current Sony Lcd TV is still going strong after 6yrs. This replacement is. a worthy successor, picture quality is very impressive, I really like the VA panels Sony are using on their 2014 models, the blacks are some of the best Ive seen. I was. little concerned due to being so thin, and with other comments from some users suggesting the use of a sound bar to improve sound quality, I may need to buy one myself to get acceptable sound.
However,the sound is almost as good as the set its replaced, its certainly far better than I was expecting, and after tweaking sound setting to increase bass a little, it sounds pretty good,so I certainly wont be buying a sound bar as I really dont think its necessary, but if audiophiles want better sound then one has that option.

As a result of buying this TV Ive decided I will be renewing my Amazon Prime membership, as this TV has the Amazon App for playing Amazon movies, which works superbly, lots of other useful apps especially iPlayer. I also found the screen mirroring feature works great with our iPad and Android devices displaying the devices images very well indeed.

This TV has 2 tuners, a freeview, and a satellite tuner, I have not used the freeview tuner as we cannot receive freeview here, so we use. Humax twin tuner freesat PVR which works brilliantly. I have for curiousity however tried the satellite tuner, where it found over 700 channels, with lots being mere dupicates or being encrypted but all the current free to watch channels worked fine, and though you dont get the genuine freesat EPG you do get a EPG, but the proper freesat version is better, as I use the Humax freesat box the tuners will never get used so no big deal, but the Satellite tuner may be useful to some people.

What surprised me was the quality of the screen backlighting, being a EdgeLit backlight which is illuminated from the bottom I was expecting some uneven patches of brightness, but tests show it to be 100% uniform across the whole panel, with no bleed that I could detect even in a dark room so Im extremely pleased with the panel quality, and obviously no faulty pixels either. A very bright sharp panel, BTW if you find your set seems a little lacking in the brightness department, in other words you have to set your brightness levels high, try disabling the ambient light sensor in system settings, and it will spring to life, but make sure you calibrate it properly afterwards.

I really dont have many negatives to say about this TV, I paid £459 which was good value price, for what is a very capable TV. Unusually it uses a separate power brick to power the TV, which may need the cable extending if wall mounting, but in my case its hidden behind the corner TV cabinet, the TV itself remains cold even after many hours use which is a plus of having a separate power unit which tends to generate most heat in a TV, and also easier to replace of course.

If it turns out to be as reliable as the set its replaced I shall be most pleased, so based on the few days Ive had the TV it gets a Highly Recommended from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Excellent picture!, 20 Mar. 2014
After many long years my Panasonic 28" CRT finally went wonky.

Originally I was going to purchase a Panasonic TXL32E6B, but then I saw the new Sony and Panasonic side by side. No contest!

HD Picture simply stunning. SD excellent.. Mine is piped through a Virgin V+ box.

Sound: OK. Well I was spoiled with a CRT, so didn't expect too much. Acceptable, but will probably get a soundbase/bar sometime.

Apps: There are lots of Apps, most of them seem a bit worthless. We have used Netflix. Only has iplayer and 5OD as "watch again" apps, but this doesn't bother me as I have Watch again on the Virgin box. Amazon Prima/Instant Video doesn't work, yet.

Integration: I have mine hard wired as it's next to the router. Excellent streaming of videos/music etc from PC. Have used Nexus 7 (2013 version) for Miracast, so I can keep an eye on what's happening on the kids Minecraft!

Tweaks: You can fiddle all the settings 'til the cows come home.

Summary: Picture: Excellent Sound OK. Apps: OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Sony quality, 27 Nov. 2014
I bought this tv after reading the reviews as they were all fairly positive, I use the TV mainly for the Xbox one and it's great. I only have 2 very little negatives and they are the sound isn't that good compared to my 5yr old toshiba (so I bought the cheapest Sony sound bar which I high recommend), the other was that I wanted to mount the TV on the wall, I was impressed that the stand also doubles up as a wall mount, but the plastic spacers that space the TV away from the wall don't fit very well and there's abit of movement in the wall mount assembly so these spacers fall out if the TV is touched, I don touch the TV that much as we have the remote, this are only 2little winges and does not affect the performance viewing of the TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest way to quickly calibrate your new Sony TV, 19 Feb. 2015
This is a great TV. I had an old sony CRT TV and held out for years for giving in and buying an LED TV. This one is good. The motion looks fine on it - I read tonnes of reviews and worried about motion blur and moving image lag but it's really fine. The most frustrating thing was that auditioning all TVs in a shop is really tricky. I even tried bringing along some home videos in 1080p 50fps but they looked terrible on all the TVs in the shop even the latest 4k TVs. Also had a bluray which also didn't look that great. Turns out as soon as I bought one of these, you need to change the following settings and the TV stops looking ridiculously garish and ultra-contrasty with clipped whites and reds and greens everywhere.

My settings:
1. turn off the ambient light sensor under the Eco menu
2. Set Scene select to "Cinema"
3. In picture options set colour balance to "warm 1"

It turns out shockingly that these are only specific to each input which frankly is a pain. I had a blu ray player connected and it stubbornly refused to let me access the picture options, until I realised that you can press the Apps SEN button on the remote. Then you use the cursors to go to the settings in the top right and you can actually change the same settings for each device you connect (blu ray, video etc). It is irritating that there is no easy way to set the same picture settings throughout (I tried the common input setting, but this didn't work for me). Also, make sure that with blu-ray/ DVD if you are watching an old DVD in 4:3 format and it keeps stretching it to fullscreen, then you need to use the SEN button, settings options to access the Screen format menu and change the 4:3 menu from the default "Zoom" to "Normal". You might have to configure your blu ray player too, otherwise it will ruin (stretch) the 4:3 format as well (I did).

NB. if you watch your own home videos using a USB stick they generally look rubbish and ultra contrasty on the default setting. But again, when watching the USB video file you can:
1. Press options button
2. Set scene select to Cinema
3. Go back to Options menu and select Picture
4. Change colour balance to Warm 1

This makes a huge difference to how home videos look. Suddenly they look natural and great. Also, the 1080p with 50fps plays just wonderfully. Happy TV watching!

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this tv after a great deal of research, 11 Sept. 2014
I purchased this tv after a great deal of research. A great choice, well worth the price. Would have liked a more detailed printed manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tv for gaming with the lowest input lag of ..., 24 Oct. 2014
A. Kalapchiyski "Angel" (London) - See all my reviews
Best tv for gaming with the lowest input lag of 6ms and full 4:4:4 reproduction.Great colors and good sound.Highly recommend for gamers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5 star, 29 Jun. 2014
the TV itself is great, what lets it down is the smart side of it. perhaps I should have done more research and it probably isn`t Sony`s fault but the internet side of the TV is not as good as I expected. the browser is very limited and will not play live videos which is why I bought it rather than a new laptop to stream to my old TV.
the quality of the picture is really great and everything else the TV does is really good, if it wasn`t for the internet problems it would get 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture - Great. Sound - not so good., 23 Sept. 2014
Bedroom TV.

The TV itself is very well made, a small aluminium bezel around the edges give the impression the screen is actually bigger than it is, a very modern look. The power supply is from a block type transformer and the lead to it from the mains plug is quite short - luckily I had a longer replacement and that meant I was able to place the TV on top of a chest of drawers and plug the mains lead on to a trailing socket on the floor - sitting the block behind the TV. It would have pulled the lead out of the back of the TV had I left the block dangling down to the floor.

The picture is a big improvement on my 2007 model, its very clear and the colours are vibrant. HD channels really stand out and the motion seems a lot smoother. The screen is also no reflective which helps if its placed near a window or any other light source.

I used an Ethernet cable to give it internet access and set it an IP reservation on my router, it then went off and found a software update which downloaded and installed smoothly. The whole process took about 15 mins to set the TV up, and all you need is a cross head screwdriver to set the legs and stand up. It also comes with a wall bracket if you want to wall mount it.

I was quite impressed by the TV until it came to setting the sound up, I just can't get it to sound 'good'. I've tried many settings - and there are a lot of sound settings - but it always ends up sounding a bit tinny and hollow. You can get bass from the equaliser settings but it always just ends up sounding 'ok'. There's even settings to change from wall mounted to table top but I can't find a happy medium. If anyone reading this review is able to get theirs sounding good without having to purchase a subwoofer or a sound bar, please let me know your settings! My old 32D300 was really good for sound without having to play with any settings, this new TV isn't a patch on it. I should have know better I suppose, a lot of the reviews did mention this. My bad!

One other little niggle is the sleep timer. If you are viewing a external source such as a Freesat Box, you can use the sleep timer as usual, set it up from the remote and just fall to sleep. However, if you are watching anything from a Sony Blu Ray/USB key or streaming and want to set it up, you have to select another source first, set the timer up and then return to your content as the remote button fails to bring the sleep timer up on the screen. Annoying!

The SMART services are ok a little slow even with a very fast internet connection, but again still no ITV Player or 4OD unlike the new Samsung range.

You select the APPs you want and add them to your own list, Amazon Prime Instant Video is on there and does work well, and in fact the remote control has a separate NETFLIX button which is quite useful.

There is a built in Freesat box and satellite connecter next to the normal aerial plug but I'm yet to try it out - I still have a trusty Humax Freesat HD box for now.

I'll keep this TV for the bedroom (and have to keep fiddling trying to find a decent sound), but I'll definitely be looking at other brands in the future before committing to buy - Sony are no longer the top brand they used to be - in my opinion - they seem to be getting left behind by others.

From what should have been a 5 star product, I've removed 1 star for the sound quality and another for the niggles like the sleep timer, lack of ITV Player & 4OD and short mains cable.

*Edit*.

I've had this TV for a couple of weeks now, and after many calls to Sony regarding the sound quality - the only help they can offer is to recommend I return the TV and try a different Sony model. Not what I'd expect Sony, shame on you!

Anyhow, I decided to keep the TV as the picture is great and some of the features are useful, so I invested in a Denon DHT-T100 soundbase rather than buy anything else Sony as they'd disappointed me with their customer support and I didn't like any of their sound bars. The TV now has great sound to go along with the great picture, the Denon sat under the TV looks good and you can't see any cables which pleased my wife. You can train the Denon to accept volume controls from the Sony TV remote easily, but once you set the audio output on the Bravia to Audio System, you'll keep getting a "TV Volume is fixed" warning message every time you adjust the volume - quite annoying if you watch a subtitled foreign film. Sony need to have a setting in the menu's to disable this message as its quite a common issue on A/V forums.

If I find a fix I'll update this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tv and a good price as Sony have just ..., 6 Jun. 2015
Excellent tv and a good price as Sony have just brought out a newer model (so this one may not be available for too much longer).
Lots of features I'll never use but there if/when needed.
Easy to set up and looks good. Picture quality is excellent even though I have a freeview hd box this tv seems to improve non hd quality too.
Only niggle is the remote where some options are too close together and can be frustrating when menus keep popping up by mistake ... maybe improve as I get used to the remote.
After much debate I got the silver version, glad I did as it makes the corner of the room seem brighter and a more pleasurable viewing experience with no black frame - only thing is it makes the tv stand look dated now!