4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Excellent picture!
After many long years my Panasonic 28" CRT finally went wonky.

Originally I was going to purchase a Panasonic TXL32E6B, but then I saw the new Sony and Panasonic side by side. No contest!

HD Picture simply stunning. SD excellent.. Mine is piped through a Virgin V+ box.

Sound: OK. Well I was spoiled with a CRT, so didn't expect too much...
Published 7 months ago by Timealan

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture - Great. Sound - not so good.
Bedroom TV.

I purchased this TV for a couple of reasons, the main reason being - iPlayer is no longer supported and stopped working on my bedroom Sony Blu-ray player (BDPS-570) and my existing 2007 KDL-32D3000 not having any SMART capabilities at all left me needing a bedroom upgrade!

The TV itself is very well made, a small aluminium bezel around...
Published 28 days ago by Mr Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Excellent picture!, 20 Mar 2014
After many long years my Panasonic 28" CRT finally went wonky.

Sound: OK. Well I was spoiled with a CRT, so didn't expect too much. Acceptable, but will probably get a soundbase/bar sometime.

Apps: There are lots of Apps, most of them seem a bit worthless. We have used Netflix. Only has iplayer and 5OD as "watch again" apps, but this doesn't bother me as I have Watch again on the Virgin box. Amazon Prima/Instant Video doesn't work, yet.

Integration: I have mine hard wired as it's next to the router. Excellent streaming of videos/music etc from PC. Have used Nexus 7 (2013 version) for Miracast, so I can keep an eye on what's happening on the kids Minecraft!

Tweaks: You can fiddle all the settings 'til the cows come home.

Summary: Picture: Excellent Sound OK. Apps: OK

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5 star, 29 Jun 2014
the TV itself is great, what lets it down is the smart side of it. perhaps I should have done more research and it probably isn`t Sony`s fault but the internet side of the TV is not as good as I expected. the browser is very limited and will not play live videos which is why I bought it rather than a new laptop to stream to my old TV.
the quality of the picture is really great and everything else the TV does is really good, if it wasn`t for the internet problems it would get 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning TV with built in iPlayer & Netflix, but rather mediocre sound (and some incomplete 3rd party apps, at time of writing), 2 April 2014
LJD (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony KDL42W705B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart TV with Freeview - Black (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 1:47 Mins

📦 RECEIVING THE BOX
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

📦 When I received the box, I was taken aback by how slim it was.

On the front :
- it says "Sony Bravia - feel the beauty". I thought that was pretty cocky! (I later realised it's warranted!)
- Also on the box [see the top left of this page - user photos] it touts a recommended *optional* accessory, a wireless subwoofer. (I'll come back to this later, when discussing sound)

INITIAL SET UP
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

I initially set this up in the corner of the living room away from the cable box. It asked for me to select my WiFi network and then enter my password. [It was a midly annoying to do this using the on screen keyboard; thankfully you'll only ever have to do it once.]

It then asked if it could update itself. I accepted and it duly updated, with the white light at the bottom pulsing on and off [🎥 see video] for about a minute.

I was able to watch iPlayer (🎥see video) within minutes.

It's a boon that I could stream TV from the internet without any additional hardware; it's all built in. [It's like having a BUILT-IN Roku box or Apple TV! I've seen apps on TVs before, and this may be damning with faint praise, but this is the least-crap, most usable implementation I've seen of it].

KEY POINTS
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

✨The picture is stunning. You can tell as you flick through the menus.
🔊 The sound is a bit 'meh'. (It's a bit crap - maybe it improves dramatically with the purchase of that wireless sub advertised on the box)
👎 What's missing, at the time of writing, is the ability to watch 4OD (over the internet).
📀 When watching BluRay discs, the picture is good (as long as you're sitting across the other side of the room)

-----------

You can stop reading now unless you really want to read the boring minutiae.

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

The stuff below is optional reading. :)

MISC COMMENTS / OBSERVATIONS
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

- When using the SkyNews app [over WiFi], the resolution was crap. Massive "pixels" - very blocky. Disappointing. (this is when I'm sitting close to the TV.. from across the room, it actually looks fine)

- When using iPlayer, the picture was acceptable. I was able to go into settings and select HiDef [🎥see video].

- The Netflix app/interface is nice. I was able to sign up for a 1 month free trial. (It's £6 / month after that). [Alas, you do have to give it your credit card info]

- The power brick is pretty huge [🎥see video] - almost the size of the remote control itself [not that it matters, I suppose, as it will be tucked away out of sight]

- Whilst iPlayer worked well on day 1, on day 2 I kept getting error messages; nothing would play. Not sure if this is due to my ISP or the BBC or Sony. [I'll keep trying to get it sorted and update here, accordingly]

📡 This TV is good for "cord cutters". That is, people (usually nerds) who no longer want to pay for SkyTV or cable. You can get so much content over the internet now. If I was Mr Murdoch, I might feel a bit scared. (Not everyone is tech savvy; for people who want to use this like an old school TV, it works very well for that too. It's just a good all round TV.)

⌛️ There is a (slight) lag when opening apps. The apps themselves vary in quality. (I guess they are being continually iterated so could improve.) Some are good, some are shockingly crap - they don't even launch! Presumably, due to buggy code.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb H.D. Picture for a L.C.D./L.E.D. TV., 17 Jun 2014
This was purchased from Amazon, but not by me.

'Don't get him started about flat panel televisions' is a commonly heard phrase in my house. As someone lucky enough to have seen the stunning picture on Sony's Trinitron H.D. C.R.T. TV (which, fair enough, weighed, er, let's just say a lot) this means that my opinion of flat panel televisions is not high. A collection of unhappy compromises, is probably the fairest I can be.

Sadly, the day had to come when my dear old Sony Trinitron began to fade. Ah, many's the time when my flat-paneled friends would come round to watch the football because the motion blur on their swanky (I added the s) new televisions did their heads in. Anyway, the review:

I'm a Sony kinda guy, and have been for decades, so when the day came to get a new television they were always going to be my first choice. I didn't want a massive screen, but I did want a television with the best H.D. picture that I could get from a 32 inch screen; the Sony KDL-32W705B is it.

Out of the box, the H.D. picture was good and the S.D. picture was terrible, but having seen and helped friends set up their new TVs, this was not unexpected, and as I would be calibrating it anyway, didn't worry me. After calibration the H.D. picture was excellent and the S.D. picture was more than acceptable. For technical reasons, it's impossible to get a very good S.D. broadcast picture on a full H.D. television.

The screen handles the H.D. signal from a Blu-ray player extremely well, displaying a crisp, clear, and detail rich picture, with only the tiniest amount of motion blur in fast action scenes. Watching the World Cup on the Freeview H.D. channels again produced an excellent picture, with only very small amounts of motion blur coming from the ball when it was traveling at high speed.

Sound quality is exactly what you would expect from a flat panel television, so you will need to buy a sound bar, or sound base.

Design and build quality is, as you would expect from Sony, very high. A top quality plastic case and a perfectly smooth screen with a very neat bezel. The inputs and outputs are nicely laid out, and the set is very well balanced on the metal stand supplied. The remote is a little bit too small and lightweight for my liking, but it is neatly laid out and works well.

I would recommend going to Sony's website for the full specification and list of web content and Apps.

If you're thinking about moving from a C.R.T. TV to flat panel television, I can recommend this model. It won't be be able to produce the high quality S.D. broadcast picture that you are used to, but the H.D. picture is terrific. I would strongly recommend calibrating it using a calibration disc, as this will make a huge difference. Trying to adjust it by eye and guesswork will only produce an acceptable picture at best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Allot smarter than your average Bear, 18 Aug 2014
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Where should I start...

The Sony KDL42W705 is a substantial TV. It looks pleasing and is nice and slim. As with other Sony products it is a breeze to setup and get up and running. The picture out of the box is pleasant, but with a little tweaking it can look better. The smart functionality is excellent. It does have allot of unnecessary apps, but you can remove these if you so desire.

The sound is good, but to really get the best out of it, you should invest in external speakers. The bezel is nice and thin and during a movie you can barely notice it. You can run the software update, so you have the latest stable release and after that you are good to go.

Playing games on it is briliant and it is fast and responsive. Watching a blu-ray is sublime, the colours are accurate and "The Amzing Spiderman" looked awesome on it.

I thoroughly recommend it. If you want 3D then this isn't for you, look at the next model up with 3D spec. But, for normal HD viewing you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous picture; great connectivity; pity about the sound, 10 Sep 2014
Nat Whilk (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This TV - also available in silver - looks and feels as well engineered as you would expect when you buy from Sony. Apart from its jutting booty, it's as compact as a 32-incher can be, and is easy to attach to its minimalist stand - assembly is a one-person job requiring nothing more challenging than inserting four cross-headed screws. (The holes on the TV into which the screws need to go are those in deep, almost square recesses.) A wall mounting kit is included too, though this TV is probably not the most wall-friendly on the market.

Power is supplied via a laptop-style transformer. Sockets include a satellite input, Ethernet, a two-way Scart, component video RCA inputs, stereo audio RCA inputs, four HDMI inputs (one with ARC), a USB input, a headphone minijack, an optical audio output (supplying either PCM or Dolby Digital) and a USB output for attaching a hard disc drive recorder. You also get a slot for an access card, Bluetooth and sensitive dongle-free WiFi - in a road of detached bungalows, my set detected three of my neighbours' routers as well as my own.

Automatic tuning is quick and free from glitches. I picked up a hundred and twenty-three services with an unamplified indoor antenna only two feet above the ground. If you want to swap SD channels with their HD counterparts, the renumbering process is straightforward.

The picture quality is, I think, as good as I've ever seen. The matt surface of the screen minimizes reflections, and there are none of the backlight irregularities that LED LCD displays are prone to. Contrast is vivid, detail exquisite, colour natural, movement flawless. I've read two expert reviews which said that careful calibration can tweak the picture to something very close to perfection. If you can't be bothered to spend an hour with a Blu-ray test disc, I've found that the TV's Cinema 1 preset with colour turned down from 50 to 40 is pretty satisfactory. (The picture should not, of course, be viewed from a point significantly off-axis if it's to be enjoyed at its best.)

The audio, sadly, is another matter entirely. Tinny and sibilant, it's completely outclassed by the sound that I get from the portable radio sitting on top of my fridge (though that, admittedly, is the superb Ruark Audio R1-WALNUT Dab/FM Radio In Rich Walnut Veneer). Perhaps only Loewe and Bang & Olufsen make small TVs with decent loudspeakers. My 84 year old Mum, for whom I bought the 705, thinks that its sound is perfectly adequate, but for my part, I wouldn't use this TV without connecting it to an external audio system. My five star rating assumes that the TV is used in this way.

The remote control (supplied with two AAA batteries) is ergonomically pleasant, with well arranged, well spaced buttons that have a nice positive action. When you turn the TV on, it takes roughly half a minute for the set to wake up and respond to the zapper's commands. A dimmable LED beneath the screen winks or changes colour to acknowledge your instructions.

The user interface is intelligently designed and easy to get the hang of. The TV's multilingual paper manual covers little more than installation, but a fully indexed on-screen supplement is well organized and lucidly written.

This is, of course, a smart TV, and its apps are many and various. The most valuable are probably a web browser, Netflix, YouTube, BBC iPlayer and Demand5. (The catch-up apps for ITV and Channel 4 are omitted; anyone insisting on these might consider the much praised Samsung Series 6 H6410 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D LED Smart TV with Built-In Wi-Fi and Freeview HD). Unfortunately Sony doesn't offer an alternative remote with a full Qwerty keypad, so tapping in your wishes needs more than a little patience. Of course, there's always the option of using the 705 as a display for your computer - the TV offers WiFi Direct if your laptop can support it.

Easier to use is the TV's recording capability. Add an HDD - I chose Sony 1TB 2.5 inch Portable External Hard Drive - Silver - and you have cheap, convenient, single-tuner time-shifting at your finger tips, and without a horrible mess of cable spaghetti. You can either programme a recording from the TV's Freeview guide, or record what you're watching with a single button on the remote. It's also possible to record on a tape machine using the output from the Scart socket.

To sum up, I think that this is an exceptionally good set of its kind. Viewed head-on and connected to a Blu-ray player and a decent audio system, it could be the heart of a very good small 2D High Definition home cinema. I bought mine from John Lewis, who charged me £358.95, inclusive of a 5-year warranty and delivery before 10:30 a.m. the following day. (Sadly John Lewis's offer to dispose of customers' old tellies doesn't extend to purchasers of this particular model.)

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this tv after a great deal of research, 11 Sep 2014
I purchased this tv after a great deal of research. A great choice, well worth the price. Would have liked a more detailed printed manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value TV, 25 July 2014
This TV has a superb HD picture. The very small bezel is barely noticeable when you're watching the TV but I think the black bezel is better still in this respect. The sound quality isn't great but you can pair it with a Sony wireless subwoofer which makes a massive difference. Access to online content is easy with the built in Wi-Fi working well. The usual apps are available including Lovefilm, iPlayer and Netflix. All work well. You can also record directly onto a USB stick which is a really great feature. Overall this is a qood quality and good value TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish TV & great picture quality, but media compatibility & interface could be improved, 7 May 2014
KMW (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
--[ Design & connectivity ]--

This is without doubt one of the most stylish looking TV's I've ever owned. It's thinness and slim brushed steel bezel makes it look extremely sleek and classy. There's also a nice metal stand which can function both as a table stand and as a wall mount, which is cool.

This TV has excellent connectivity and is equipped with 4 x HDMI, 2 x USB, Ethernet, component, composite, Scart, RF in, Analog audio input, Optical digital output, Audio output and Headphone output. There's also built in Wifi, which works fine.

--[ Picture Quality ]--

HD Picture quality is truly stunning - Colours are vibrant and accurate, with the best black levels I've seen on an LED television. SD upscaled quality is also good and there's a variety of picture options for fine tuning picture quality. Backlight uniformity is very good with no noticeable light bleeding or clouding. There is some slight DSE (Dirty Screen Effect) noticeable when watching football, which all LED TV's suffer from, but It's not overly problematic on this set and generally doesn't spoil viewing experience. Viewing angles are average and don't seem quite as good as my LG 42LN575V Smart TV, with contrast and colour suffering at 45 degrees and beyond. A slight blue hue is also noticeable which is somewhat annoying. Response time is good, keeping motion blur to a minimum and easily good enough to watch fast paced sports and performs fine for the footy. Sony included "LED Motion Mode", which is available in the settings, but you lose so much brightness it's essentially pointless unless you're viewing in a totally darkened room.

Gamers should be impressed with the TV's impressive low input lag (14ms) and additional game modes that offer a more accurate colour palette. PS4 games look incredible.

Sound quality is average, but generally it's no different to most other slim TV's. I find it adequate and slightly better than the LG.

--[ Smart TV Features ]--

This is the second smart TV I own, with LG 42LN575V being my first Smart TV experience, which I was impressed with.

Here, you are greeted with an interestingly simple UI flavor, offering a stylish yet clean interface. Navigation is generally straightforward using the supplied standard remote. Sony also includes the One Touch Pad Smart Remote, which is OK, but unlike the LG smart remote, there's no cursor navigation, so you have to scroll through the menus using the touchpad, which can sometimes be slow and frustrating. LG smart TV's offer cursor navigation when using the LG smart remote or smartphone apps, allowing for much quicker, accurate and easier navigation between menus. I also prefer the actual interface of the LG, although Samsung offers the best designed interface overall.

Sony have a fully loaded and very nicely designed smartphone app called TV SideView available on Android (which I'm using) & iPhone, where you can browse TV (TV guide), Recordings, Home Network Content, Social News feeds and use it as a remote to control the TV. The remote control is designed well, offering a standard remote layout, scroll touchpad, cursor touchpad, app list and web URL address bar. The cursor touchpad is used within the browser, but it would be great if sony could expand this function to control all of the TV's menus. Based on UI design, Sony's app trounces LG's much less refined offering, but because LG uses a cursor touchpad for menu navigation, it's more of a pleasure to use.

A few mainstream catch up services are available, Like iPlayer and 5OD, but you won't yet find 4OD or ITV player here, as those are exclusive to Samsung TV's. The usual video-on-demand apps are available, like lovefilm and Netflix. Amazon instant video is there, but not yet working (as of may 2014). Other popular media and social apps are available, like youtube, facebook and twitter etc. There's also a decent selection of other apps which can be downloaded from the Sony app store.

The web browser (which took me a while to find in the app list) is based on Opera, but it is very basic and limited. The current version does not include any flash lite plugins or HTML5, so don't expect to do much here. Both LG and Samsung include browsers based on Chrome that offer flash lite and HTML5 support. It seems the browser here was not important to Sony, which is disappointing.

Home Network DLNA media streaming is OK, but not great. All of my NAS shares (via Twonkymedia) are detected and all of my MKV movies are nicely listed in a thumbnail viewer on the TV, which looks great, but it seems to be a lottery whether one will work. Even with those that play fine, there's an unsupported content message constantly displayed at the bottom. I think this TV can't cope with higher bitrate 1080p MKV's, which is frustrating, considering the same movies play fine on my LG.

--[ Conclusion]--

Overall, It's a stylish TV with fantastic picture quality and great for gaming. If Sony work to improve it's Smart TV functionality, media compatibility, and overall usability, we'll have the ultimate TV. At the moment though, I'd recommend this for those looking for the best picture quality and gaming TV, but the LG for those requiring better DLNA media compatibility, web browser implementation and viewing angles. I have yet to fully test Samsung's Smart TV features, but reviews are very favourable and so they're probably worth checking out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 29 Jun 2014
Mark (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This TV is the nuts. Very stylish, the picture is great it is easy to use. The only downer (and I'm nitpicking here) is that it is a little on the slow side with the apps. Not so that it will ruin your day, but just enough to notice.