Published 4 months ago by Cameron

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture - Great. Sound - not so good.
Bedroom TV.

I purchased this TV for a couple of reasons, the main reason being - iPlayer is no longer supported and stopped working on my bedroom Sony Blu-ray player (BDPS-570) and my existing 2007 KDL-32D3000 not having any SMART capabilities at all left me needing a bedroom upgrade!

The TV itself is very well made, a small aluminium bezel around...
Published 4 months ago by Mr Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV that delivers Superb Picture Quality and Features at a good price. RECOMMENDED., 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Sony KDL42W705B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart TV with Freeview - Black (Electronics)
I considered a few TV's before buying this KDL42W705B, our current Sony Lcd TV is still going strong after 6yrs. This replacement is. a worthy successor, picture quality is very impressive, I really like the VA panels Sony are using on their 2014 models, the blacks are some of the best Ive seen. I was. little concerned due to being so thin, and with other comments from some users suggesting the use of a sound bar to improve sound quality, I may need to buy one myself to get acceptable sound.
However,the sound is almost as good as the set its replaced, its certainly far better than I was expecting, and after tweaking sound setting to increase bass a little, it sounds pretty good,so I certainly wont be buying a sound bar as I really dont think its necessary, but if audiophiles want better sound then one has that option.

As a result of buying this TV Ive decided I will be renewing my Amazon Prime membership, as this TV has the Amazon App for playing Amazon movies, which works superbly, lots of other useful apps especially iPlayer. I also found the screen mirroring feature works great with our iPad and Android devices displaying the devices images very well indeed.

This TV has 2 tuners, a freeview, and a satellite tuner, I have not used the freeview tuner as we cannot receive freeview here, so we use. Humax twin tuner freesat PVR which works brilliantly. I have for curiousity however tried the satellite tuner, where it found over 700 channels, with lots being mere dupicates or being encrypted but all the current free to watch channels worked fine, and though you dont get the genuine freesat EPG you do get a EPG, but the proper freesat version is better, as I use the Humax freesat box the tuners will never get used so no big deal, but the Satellite tuner may be useful to some people.

What surprised me was the quality of the screen backlighting, being a EdgeLit backlight which is illuminated from the bottom I was expecting some uneven patches of brightness, but tests show it to be 100% uniform across the whole panel, with no bleed that I could detect even in a dark room so Im extremely pleased with the panel quality, and obviously no faulty pixels either. A very bright sharp panel, BTW if you find your set seems a little lacking in the brightness department, in other words you have to set your brightness levels high, try disabling the ambient light sensor in system settings, and it will spring to life, but make sure you calibrate it properly afterwards.

I really dont have many negatives to say about this TV, I paid £459 which was good value price, for what is a very capable TV. Unusually it uses a separate power brick to power the TV, which may need the cable extending if wall mounting, but in my case its hidden behind the corner TV cabinet, the TV itself remains cold even after many hours use which is a plus of having a separate power unit which tends to generate most heat in a TV, and also easier to replace of course.

If it turns out to be as reliable as the set its replaced I shall be most pleased, so based on the few days Ive had the TV it gets a Highly Recommended from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Excellent picture!, 20 Mar. 2014
After many long years my Panasonic 28" CRT finally went wonky.

Originally I was going to purchase a Panasonic TXL32E6B, but then I saw the new Sony and Panasonic side by side. No contest!

HD Picture simply stunning. SD excellent.. Mine is piped through a Virgin V+ box.

Sound: OK. Well I was spoiled with a CRT, so didn't expect too much. Acceptable, but will probably get a soundbase/bar sometime.

Apps: There are lots of Apps, most of them seem a bit worthless. We have used Netflix. Only has iplayer and 5OD as "watch again" apps, but this doesn't bother me as I have Watch again on the Virgin box. Amazon Prima/Instant Video doesn't work, yet.

Integration: I have mine hard wired as it's next to the router. Excellent streaming of videos/music etc from PC. Have used Nexus 7 (2013 version) for Miracast, so I can keep an eye on what's happening on the kids Minecraft!

Tweaks: You can fiddle all the settings 'til the cows come home.

Summary: Picture: Excellent Sound OK. Apps: OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Sony quality, 27 Nov. 2014
I bought this tv after reading the reviews as they were all fairly positive, I use the TV mainly for the Xbox one and it's great. I only have 2 very little negatives and they are the sound isn't that good compared to my 5yr old toshiba (so I bought the cheapest Sony sound bar which I high recommend), the other was that I wanted to mount the TV on the wall, I was impressed that the stand also doubles up as a wall mount, but the plastic spacers that space the TV away from the wall don't fit very well and there's abit of movement in the wall mount assembly so these spacers fall out if the TV is touched, I don touch the TV that much as we have the remote, this are only 2little winges and does not affect the performance viewing of the TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5 star, 29 Jun. 2014
the TV itself is great, what lets it down is the smart side of it. perhaps I should have done more research and it probably isn`t Sony`s fault but the internet side of the TV is not as good as I expected. the browser is very limited and will not play live videos which is why I bought it rather than a new laptop to stream to my old TV.
the quality of the picture is really great and everything else the TV does is really good, if it wasn`t for the internet problems it would get 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture, 11 Dec. 2014
Pleased with the TV so far. The picture is excellent and the sound is an improvement from my last Sony TV. The slimmed down bezel looks really nice and the stand works well.

Some extra features - Netflix button, football button, radio button, full HD, apps etc.

Positives: Picture quality, design, price, easy set-up (in theory!), functionality, loads of inputs/outputs.

Negatives: Had trouble tuning channels - Sony weren't much help but John Lewis were - looks like it needed to be tuned in prior to setting up wi-fi for some reason, so worth trying that if you have a similar issue. Lag on start-up before functions work, as mentioned in other reviews - if this is the price to pay for having streaming apps then i'd rather just have a great TV and buy a separate streaming box. Apps can be a bit clunky. Limited choice of good quality apps. No favourites button - it seems like you can edit your favourites (all 4 of them!) but not actually access them, i'm prob missing something tho.

Apps: No ITVplayer or 4OD, which seems bizarre. No Now TV app, so streaming box needed to get sky sports as pay per view, which should also add the other missing apps. Netflix of course. You Tube is good, Amazon Prime also. Picasa. Lots of other apps, mostly very niche and uninspiring. Apps and app store as a whole ok'ish to use but can be slow to respond.

Other: I-manual on the remote covers most things. Remote syncing/screen mirroring (haven't tried them out yet). Related search is great - it tells you all about the programme, including details of any song playing at the time! Poss worth waiting for the 2015 model vs. cheaper price for 2014 model/sales season. Radio button is a nice touch. Roku through HDMI worked straight away. At the moment I prefer my Roku streaming to the services that come with the TV, as it's speedier, better design and better to use. Do we really need 3 al jazeera channels? How about some French/Irish/Spanish content etc. I'd definitely recommend using the graphic equaliser to improve the sound, as it makes a big difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this tv after a great deal of research, 11 Sept. 2014
I purchased this tv after a great deal of research. A great choice, well worth the price. Would have liked a more detailed printed manual.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 29 Jun. 2014
Mark (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This TV is the nuts. Very stylish, the picture is great it is easy to use. The only downer (and I'm nitpicking here) is that it is a little on the slow side with the apps. Not so that it will ruin your day, but just enough to notice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some FACTS and opinions to help you choose, 19 Jan. 2015
Peter (West Wickham, London England) - See all my reviews
This is a good TV and there should be no doubt about that. I think perhaps many reviewers have their own favourite TV makes. Whether this Sony TV is the best in its class may be more to do with a less objective view point but I think it can be very reasonable to say that this is at least one of the best in its class. And by class I mean a 42 inch or thereabouts smart LED TV for just over £400.
This is a very good price for a TV like this. The HD is very good and the SD is not all at bad once you get the settings right. I think that those reviewers who has criticised the SD picture may not have spent enough time adjusting their set and lets face it SD will never get close to HD so don't expect it. The adjustment possibilities on this TV are very extensive. At least 25 separate picture settings as well as `standard' vivid' and `custom' setting options and then there are `cinema' `sports', `animation' `games' `music' `photo' `graphic' and `general' settings all of which can have individual settings! These can be set differently for different inputs. For example if you watch a Freeview film, and you have it on the `auto' scene setting then the TV changes automatically to a different setting for `cinema', and if watch a sporting program it automatically changes again to a `sports' mode. And of course changes back to a general TV program setting when you change channel etc. So getting all these settings as you want them is important to get a good picture for different visual situations and not letting the TV processor make decisions for you that don't suit your preferences.
It has been mentioned else where that this TV is slow to boot up. Here's the FACTS. Switch on from cold and the last selected channel comes on in less than 5 seconds but you have to wait another 35 seconds before the set will respond to remote commands. However the manual controls, situated on the lower back right hand side of the set, do operate instantly. Switch on from standby and it is better and immediately responsive but only if the set has been off for no more than 5 or 10 minutes. Once fully booted you can flip channels normally and any reviewer saying the TV freezers after several flips must have a faulty TV as this is not a normal feature and does not occur on my set.
The navigation of options and settings can be more convoluted than is desirable. Requiring multiple key presses and scrolls to get what you want. However, with so many options to choose from then inevitable there has to be lots of possible scrolling etc.
Criticism of the sound I feel is a bit unjustified for a slim LED TV. Considering only 8 watts per channel this TV has a lot of punch. Again sound adjustments, which are various and input differentiated, needs some time to get it as you want it. Up to half total volume, which is I feel more than adequate for a normal living room environment, the sound is very good. Beyond that some distortion starts to occur which becomes unacceptable at max volume but I can't think why anyone would want to listen at that level unless they were near deaf or wanted to annoy neighbours! The sound is not only loud enough but it has good clarity up to mid volume. Again, get the settings right first.
Another criticism I have read is the viewing angle. There is nothing unusual here and at 178 degrees it is fine and as good as you are likely to get in this class.
It has an external transformer power pack and the lead is 2 meters long and plugs into the right hand side of the set looking from the front. You might want to bear this in mind.
The stand is made of a strong solid polished alloy and does its job well enough and looks stylish. There is only 6.5 centimetres clearance between the bottom edge of the viewing screen and the surface on which it stands. Not enough for a sound bar without blocking the remote IR receiver. Separate sound settings for wall mounted and table top positioned. On top of all this the TV is supposed to adapt the picture to the ambient lighting. Haven't really noticed this but that does mean it is not there.
Initial set up is straight forward as is fitting the stand. The instruction book that comes with it is very thick although this is only because it is in so many different languages. Basically it is useless and tells you virtually nothing. However the i. manual, accessible through the TV, covers all you want to know but maybe not quite enough for technical buffs. I suspect there may be some omissions in it. For example, initially I could not find `picture in picture' not that it needs much instruction. Oddly, the P in P and P and P are not found in the `setting' menu as one might expect but are under the `options' menu from the remote. P and P are flexible and easy to use.
I initially had a problem trying to adjust settings when viewing from my DVD recorder input (HDMI 2) as it kept switching to the DVD setting screen and not letting me access the TV settings for that HDMI input. (By choice I had linked the TV and the DVD recorder). I found that with the DVD image on screen, by first pressing `i.manual' then `home' on the remote, I got into settings and anything else I wanted, although not `options', (eg P and P are under `options' and I cant access that when viewing DVD input without having to switch back to TV mode first and then select P and P and then change main view to DVD input. A bit of a convoluted drag!).
An irritation for me is that there is no standby light that stays on, so with the TV off you wouldn't know whether it is in standby or switched off. As the standby power consumption is so low, (power saving is another user adjustment), I guess leaving it in standby is expected and I think unless you do then you may get the full EPG up date. That said, initially I only get about 36 hours ahead EPG when first turned on. Once the set has been on for an hour or two I have the full 8 day EPG guide for nearly all channels although there are still odd gaps that seem to need longer to get the info. This then happens again the next day, so I had lost EPG data! I have asked Sony about this and surprise surprise their answer is turn it off at the mains, wait a minute and then turn it on again and do a factory reset and retune the channels. My suspicion is that the respondent Googled the problem and repeated what other users had blogged. I certainly found that advice on line. Incidentally it didn't work. Not really a problem for my set up as my Panasonic DVD recorder always has the full EPG and I use that to program recording ahead. The actual Sony EPG has fast navigation and clear well displayed information. There is the option of selecting `Search and Guide' and this gives internet downloaded extra information on programs and always has the full 8 day ahead data from the outset. Again irritatingly the format between the two guide options is different. One horizontal the other vertical. It could have helped continuity of usage for the formats to have been the same. Sound from currently selected channel remains on while using the EPG but there is no thumbnail picture as well, just a vague greyed-out image in the background.
There is no SD slot but there are USB 2 slots that are easy to access on the side.
I have plugged in my digital camera, to the HDMI 1 slot, and the pictures are fine with usual controls through the TV remote. I am not a `gamer' so can not comment on games use at all. Wi Fi internet set up was easy and again I hardly use movie downloads or apps so I can't really offer much comment on them at this stage. However responses seemed fine. There appeared to be a vast number of available apps most of which seemed obscure to me. Netflix is directly accessible from the remote.
In summary then this TV has an excellent picture and good sound for average use. All of which you have extensive control over. It looks smart in my view and can be bought for a very reasonable price. John Lewis are equal on price plus you get a 5 year guarantee. There are a few down sides particularly the slow boot up and the EPG if that proves to be common to other users but can't be sure of that. It is versatile and reasonably suited to current day usage. I would not hesitate to recommend purchase.

UP DATE.
I have now found that after turning on from cold you can operate the volume and channel up/down buttons on the remote without waiting the 40 seconds for full remote operation. The TV will respond as long as you let the station banner to first load which only takes a few seconds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Allot smarter than your average Bear, 18 Aug. 2014
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Where should I start...

The Sony KDL42W705 is a substantial TV. It looks pleasing and is nice and slim. As with other Sony products it is a breeze to setup and get up and running. The picture out of the box is pleasant, but with a little tweaking it can look better. The smart functionality is excellent. It does have allot of unnecessary apps, but you can remove these if you so desire.

The sound is good, but to really get the best out of it, you should invest in external speakers. The bezel is nice and thin and during a movie you can barely notice it. You can run the software update, so you have the latest stable release and after that you are good to go.

Playing games on it is briliant and it is fast and responsive. Watching a blu-ray is sublime, the colours are accurate and "The Amzing Spiderman" looked awesome on it.

I thoroughly recommend it. If you want 3D then this isn't for you, look at the next model up with 3D spec. But, for normal HD viewing you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Incredible !, 24 May 2014
The picture , sound and overall design is of the highest quality
after looking for a tv for a few months i finally decided on this one
and i'm extremely glad i did , for Gaming & Movies it's simply the overall
best picture quality iv'e seen on any Flat screen and the includes the sound too
the sound itself has a depth and overall clarity about it , i'm unsure why a few
people have complained about the sound and i've personally used various
sound systems throughout the years , for a flat screen it's brilliant
i was genuinely surprised with the sound

It took me around 30 mins to fully set up including apps , they all work well
loading times are instant and navigation is simple
i couldn't really fault the tv for the whole deal price picture , sound and the
extremely low lag input for gaming

All in all if your a person who highly enjoys Gaming & Movies then this tv is for you
if your just using it for regular HD tv then i'd go with a lower priced tv , Sony's quality
is always top of the range on all their products , if money is nothing to be worried about
then do yourself a favor and buy this now !

10/10 !