5.0 out of 5 stars Superb H.D. Picture for a L.C.D./L.E.D. TV.
This was purchased from Amazon, but not by me.

Published 1 month ago by James I

3.0 out of 5 stars Great set but vertical patches noticed
This is a great tv and i cant fault it for one thing except issues with the panel uniformity where parts of the tv screen are lighter/darker than the other

I received my first set and replacement set had the same issue, if you are watching fast moving scenes such as football i can notice a lighter/darker patch as a vertical strip on the tv, usually near the...
Published 3 months ago by messi mo

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb H.D. Picture for a L.C.D./L.E.D. TV., 17 Jun 2014
This was purchased from Amazon, but not by me.

'Don't get him started about flat panel televisions' is a commonly heard phrase in my house. As someone lucky enough to have seen the stunning picture on Sony's Trinitron H.D. C.R.T. TV (which, fair enough, weighed, er, let's just say a lot) this means that my opinion of flat panel televisions is not high. A collection of unhappy compromises, is probably the fairest I can be.

Sadly, the day had to come when my dear old Sony Trinitron began to fade. Ah, many's the time when my flat-paneled friends would come round to watch the football because the motion blur on their swanky (I added the s) new televisions did their heads in. Anyway, the review:

I'm a Sony kinda guy, and have been for decades, so when the day came to get a new television they were always going to be my first choice. I didn't want a massive screen, but I did want a television with the best H.D. picture that I could get from a 32 inch screen; the Sony KDL-32W705B is it.

Out of the box, the H.D. picture was good and the S.D. picture was terrible, but having seen and helped friends set up their new TVs, this was not unexpected, and as I would be calibrating it anyway, didn't worry me. After calibration the H.D. picture was excellent and the S.D. picture was more than acceptable. For technical reasons, it's impossible to get a very good S.D. broadcast picture on a full H.D. television.

The screen handles the H.D. signal from a Blu-ray player extremely well, displaying a crisp, clear, and detail rich picture, with only the tiniest amount of motion blur in fast action scenes. Watching the World Cup on the Freeview H.D. channels again produced an excellent picture, with only very small amounts of motion blur coming from the ball when it was traveling at high speed.

Sound quality is exactly what you would expect from a flat panel television, so you will need to buy a sound bar, or sound base.

Design and build quality is, as you would expect from Sony, very high. A top quality plastic case and a perfectly smooth screen with a very neat bezel. The inputs and outputs are nicely laid out, and the set is very well balanced on the metal stand supplied. The remote is a little bit too small and lightweight for my liking, but it is neatly laid out and works well.

I would recommend going to Sony's website for the full specification and list of web content and Apps.

If you're thinking about moving from a C.R.T. TV to flat panel television, I can recommend this model. It won't be be able to produce the high quality S.D. broadcast picture that you are used to, but the H.D. picture is terrific. I would strongly recommend calibrating it using a calibration disc, as this will make a huge difference. Trying to adjust it by eye and guesswork will only produce an acceptable picture at best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Excellent picture!, 20 Mar 2014
After many long years my Panasonic 28" CRT finally went wonky.

Originally I was going to purchase a Panasonic TXL32E6B, but then I saw the new Sony and Panasonic side by side. No contest!

HD Picture simply stunning. SD excellent.. Mine is piped through a Virgin V+ box.

Sound: OK. Well I was spoiled with a CRT, so didn't expect too much. Acceptable, but will probably get a soundbase/bar sometime.

Apps: There are lots of Apps, most of them seem a bit worthless. We have used Netflix. Only has iplayer and 5OD as "watch again" apps, but this doesn't bother me as I have Watch again on the Virgin box. Amazon Prima/Instant Video doesn't work, yet.

Integration: I have mine hard wired as it's next to the router. Excellent streaming of videos/music etc from PC. Have used Nexus 7 (2013 version) for Miracast, so I can keep an eye on what's happening on the kids Minecraft!

Tweaks: You can fiddle all the settings 'til the cows come home.

Summary: Picture: Excellent Sound OK. Apps: OK

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning TV with built in iPlayer & Netflix, but rather mediocre sound (and some incomplete 3rd party apps, at time of writing), 2 April 2014
LJD (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sony KDL42W705B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart TV with Freeview - Black (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 1:47 Mins

📦 RECEIVING THE BOX
=============

📦 When I received the box, I was taken aback by how slim it was.

On the front :
- it says "Sony Bravia - feel the beauty". I thought that was pretty cocky! (I later realised it's warranted!)
- Also on the box [see the top left of this page - user photos] it touts a recommended *optional* accessory, a wireless subwoofer. (I'll come back to this later, when discussing sound)

INITIAL SET UP
===========

I initially set this up in the corner of the living room away from the cable box. It asked for me to select my WiFi network and then enter my password. [It was a midly annoying to do this using the on screen keyboard; thankfully you'll only ever have to do it once.]

It then asked if it could update itself. I accepted and it duly updated, with the white light at the bottom pulsing on and off [🎥 see video] for about a minute.

I was able to watch iPlayer (🎥see video) within minutes.

It's a boon that I could stream TV from the internet without any additional hardware; it's all built in. [It's like having a BUILT-IN Roku box or Apple TV! I've seen apps on TVs before, and this may be damning with faint praise, but this is the least-crap, most usable implementation I've seen of it].

KEY POINTS
========

✨The picture is stunning. You can tell as you flick through the menus.
🔊 The sound is a bit 'meh'. (It's a bit crap - maybe it improves dramatically with the purchase of that wireless sub advertised on the box)
👎 What's missing, at the time of writing, is the ability to watch 4OD (over the internet).
📀 When watching BluRay discs, the picture is good (as long as you're sitting across the other side of the room)

-----------

You can stop reading now unless you really want to read the boring minutiae.

The stuff below is optional reading. :)

MISC COMMENTS / OBSERVATIONS
=====================

- When using the SkyNews app [over WiFi], the resolution was crap. Massive "pixels" - very blocky. Disappointing. (this is when I'm sitting close to the TV.. from across the room, it actually looks fine)

- When using iPlayer, the picture was acceptable. I was able to go into settings and select HiDef [🎥see video].

- The Netflix app/interface is nice. I was able to sign up for a 1 month free trial. (It's 6 / month after that). [Alas, you do have to give it your credit card info]

- The power brick is pretty huge [🎥see video] - almost the size of the remote control itself [not that it matters, I suppose, as it will be tucked away out of sight]

- Whilst iPlayer worked well on day 1, on day 2 I kept getting error messages; nothing would play. Not sure if this is due to my ISP or the BBC or Sony. [I'll keep trying to get it sorted and update here, accordingly]

📡 This TV is good for "cord cutters". That is, people (usually nerds) who no longer want to pay for SkyTV or cable. You can get so much content over the internet now. If I was Mr Murdoch, I might feel a bit scared. (Not everyone is tech savvy; for people who want to use this like an old school TV, it works very well for that too. It's just a good all round TV.)

⌛️ There is a (slight) lag when opening apps. The apps themselves vary in quality. (I guess they are being continually iterated so could improve.) Some are good, some are shockingly crap - they don't even launch! Presumably, due to buggy code.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply simply amazing!, 28 Feb 2014
Wow! I have bought a lot of televisions in my life, and this one has simply blown me away. I've only had it for a day, so it's hard to comment on every nuance and aspect of it, but I've already pretty much got under the skin of it, and it is very intuitive.

It's beautifully designed, amazingly thin bezel and body, and picture that almost looks like HD when it's standard broadcast, a wonderful sleek modern menu system, really easy to connect to WIFI and locked on to the signal well enough to play Catchup TV, even though we have a very lowly 1.6 Mbps broadband connection.

The whole styling is out of this world, and it just seems to do all you expect it would, without any disappointment I have found so far.

The only main thing I've not tried yet, is HDD recording, which I'll be interested to see how it's implemented.

Just one thing I would have liked, but I'm hoping I can download those APPS, is that by default, 4DO and ITV Catchup APPS don't seem to have been included in the APPS screen. My very new Samsung Smart TV downstairs had those by default, so I'm hoping I can somehow download them.

Oh, and it connected to my DLNA media servers, (miles away in the house) and found all the content on those, and when a different PC booted up downstairs, it found that too - as a DLNA server.

It is simply stunning, and I would not hesitate to recommend on the basis of my short time with it. You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The pointless negative reviews may make you pass on the best TV in it's class, 30 May 2014
I have had 6 different LED TV's since October last year and each and every one either had permanent marks on the screen or have serious issues with anything dark.

As it's an LED it WILL have some for of DSE (Dirty Screen Effect). Not all people see this and it is something commonly found in people with OCD. Well I'm OCD about ALL my tech. This TV has the best picture quality I've seed due to the startling contrast detailing darks, lights and shadows. This TV also has the least DSE I've seen in any LED TV. There is almost none at all!

Don't be put off by these old pointless reviews, this is the best TV in it's class and price bracket. I read on Sony's website that this TV is actually record breaking! The picture on this astounds me and completely blows the LG equivalent out of the water! The LG 42LN575V does have impressive post motion processing giving a very smooth viewing rate but it had a permanent mark at the bottom of the screen. It looked like a window cleaner had missed a strip at the bottom plus the contrast and colour were very poor.

If you are very fussy about tech then I say go for this as it really does blow the competition out of the water. It is slightly more expensive than other brand's equivalent but it's worth every penny. It is literally almost perfect which is very very hard to achieve with LED technology, The Touchpad remote which you can buy separately, is well worth the money! Really helps unleash the smart TV functions and it's also great if you have difficulty using a standard remote. I have right sided issues so I bought the Touchpad remote and it really helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5 star, 29 Jun 2014
the TV itself is great, what lets it down is the smart side of it. perhaps I should have done more research and it probably isn`t Sony`s fault but the internet side of the TV is not as good as I expected. the browser is very limited and will not play live videos which is why I bought it rather than a new laptop to stream to my old TV.
the quality of the picture is really great and everything else the TV does is really good, if it wasn`t for the internet problems it would get 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor instructions and not user freindly, yet the picture is usual Sony quality, top notch, 23 July 2014
I give this 4 stars as the picture is very good, and after all, it is a TV. The sound is OK. The setting-up instructions are just awful. Woefully lacking in what to do. Most of the help is on the TV, but you are not told this with the set-up instructions. I nearly took it back through sheer frustration. Who writes this stuff, an idiot? Use is not intuitive and messy. Not impressed really.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning TV with a few issues, 15 April 2014
Jeremy Ensor Acetouch Ltd "jeremy3172" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I was amazed when I unpacked it how thin and light it was and hos easy to attache the multi-function stand.

I turned it on and set up my wireless connection in seconds - as requested I pressed the WPS button on my Asus router and it very quickly connected it to my network.

Setting it up took a bit longer as the menu system is a bit confusing and it took about 30 seconds from start up before I could use the remote. Connecting to my SKY+ box, Sony Bluray player and Samsung Galaxy SIII phone was simplicity itself as the connection of my laptop and my son's X-Box. The Apps area is also a bit confusing. Like any new system however you eventually get used to the way it works (a bit like Windows 8).

Both the picture quality and the viewing angles were VERY impressive and I love the way the thin bezel edges make it look like the picture is floating in mid air.

The main let down is the sound - while not expecting much from the new thin LED screens I was expecting a bit more but the rear facing speakers don't really help. I was expecting this so just connected my soundbar and everything now sounds great.

I can thoroughly recommend this TV but feel you should get a soundbar or connect it to hifi speakers to get the very best out of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 29 Jun 2014
Mark (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This TV is the nuts. Very stylish, the picture is great it is easy to use. The only downer (and I'm nitpicking here) is that it is a little on the slow side with the apps. Not so that it will ruin your day, but just enough to notice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony KDL32W706BSU 32" Smart TV, 28 Jun 2014
Liam Poole (IoW UK) - See all my reviews
I wasn't terribly impressed with the picture quality of my previous Sony Bravia TV. Despite this, and the current popular perception that Samsung make the best TVs, I took a bit of a punt on this and I am absolutely delighted that I did.
I'm not looking for a lot from a TV and this ticks all the boxes for me - Great picture quality, stylish construction, sound quality totally fine. I haven't really explored the Smart functions yet but the basic user interface is intuitive.

Definitely a five-star item, and delivered within 48hrs of purchase.