4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Excellent picture!
After many long years my Panasonic 28" CRT finally went wonky.

Originally I was going to purchase a Panasonic TXL32E6B, but then I saw the new Sony and Panasonic side by side. No contest!

HD Picture simply stunning. SD excellent.. Mine is piped through a Virgin V+ box.

Sound: OK. Well I was spoiled with a CRT, so didn't expect too much...
Published 6 months ago by Timealan

Published 1 month ago by Peter Gray

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Excellent picture!, 20 Mar 2014
After many long years my Panasonic 28" CRT finally went wonky.

Sound: OK. Well I was spoiled with a CRT, so didn't expect too much. Acceptable, but will probably get a soundbase/bar sometime.

Apps: There are lots of Apps, most of them seem a bit worthless. We have used Netflix. Only has iplayer and 5OD as "watch again" apps, but this doesn't bother me as I have Watch again on the Virgin box. Amazon Prima/Instant Video doesn't work, yet.

Integration: I have mine hard wired as it's next to the router. Excellent streaming of videos/music etc from PC. Have used Nexus 7 (2013 version) for Miracast, so I can keep an eye on what's happening on the kids Minecraft!

Tweaks: You can fiddle all the settings 'til the cows come home.

Summary: Picture: Excellent Sound OK. Apps: OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous picture; great connectivity; pity about the sound, 10 Sep 2014
Nat Whilk (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This TV - also available in silver - looks and feels as well engineered as you would expect when you buy from Sony. Apart from its jutting booty, it's as compact as a 32-incher can be, and is easy to attach to its minimalist stand - assembly is a one-person job requiring nothing more challenging than inserting four cross-headed screws. (The holes on the TV into which the screws need to go are those in deep, almost square recesses.) A wall mounting kit is included too, though this TV is probably not the most wall-friendly on the market.

Power is supplied via a laptop-style transformer. Sockets include a satellite input, Ethernet, a two-way Scart, component video RCA inputs, stereo audio RCA inputs, four HDMI inputs, a USB input, a headphone minijack, an optical audio output (supplying either PCM or Dolby Digital) and a USB output for attaching a hard disc drive recorder. You also get a slot for an access card, Bluetooth and sensitive dongle-free WiFi - in a road of detached bungalows, my set detected three of my neighbours' routers as well as my own.

Automatic tuning is quick and free from glitches. I picked up a hundred and twenty-three services with an unamplified indoor antenna only two feet above the ground. If you want to swap SD channels with their HD counterparts, the renumbering process is straightforward.

The picture quality is, I think, as good as I've ever seen. The matt surface of the screen minimizes reflections, and there are none of the backlight irregularities that LED LCD displays are prone to. Contrast is vivid, detail exquisite, colour natural, movement flawless. I've read two expert reviews which said that careful calibration can tweak the picture to something very close to perfection. If you can't be bothered to spend an hour with a Blu-ray test disc, I've found that the TV's Cinema 1 preset with colour turned down from 50 to 40 is pretty satisfactory. (The picture should not, of course, be viewed from a point significantly off-axis if it's to be enjoyed at its best.)

The audio, sadly, is another matter entirely. Tinny and sibilant, it's completely outclassed by the sound that I get from the portable radio sitting on top of my fridge (though that, admittedly, is the superb Ruark Audio R1-WALNUT Dab/FM Radio In Rich Walnut Veneer). Perhaps only Loewe and Bang & Olufsen make small TVs with decent loudspeakers. My 84 year old Mum, for whom I bought the 705, thinks that its sound is perfectly adequate, but for my part, I wouldn't use this TV without connecting it to an external audio system. My five star rating assumes that the TV is used in this way.

The remote control (supplied with two AAA batteries) is ergonomically pleasant, with well arranged, well spaced buttons that have a nice positive action. When you turn the TV on, it takes roughly half a minute for the set to wake up and respond to the zapper's commands. A dimmable LED beneath the screen winks or changes colour to acknowledge your instructions.

The user interface is intelligently designed and easy to get the hang of. The TV's multilingual paper manual covers little more than installation, but a fully indexed on-screen supplement is well organized and lucidly written.

This is, of course, a smart TV, and its apps are many and various. The most valuable are probably a web browser, Netflix, YouTube, BBC iPlayer and 5 On Demand. The catch-up apps for ITV and Channel 4 are omitted. Unfortunately Sony doesn't offer an alternative remote with a full Qwerty keypad, so tapping in your wishes needs more than a little patience. Of course, there's always the option of using the 705 as a display for your computer - the TV offers WiFi Direct if your laptop can support it.

Easier to use is the TV's recording capability. Add an HDD - I chose Sony 1TB 2.5 inch Portable External Hard Drive - Silver - and you have cheap, convenient, single-tuner time-shifting at your finger tips, and without a horrible mess of cable spaghetti. You can either programme a recording from the TV's Freeview guide, or record what you're watching with a single button on the remote. It's also possible to record on a tape machine using the output from the Scart socket.

To sum up, I think that this is an exceptionally good set of its kind. Viewed head-on and connected to a Blu-ray player and a decent audio system, it could be the heart of a very good small 2D High Definition home cinema. I bought mine from John Lewis, who charged me £358.95, inclusive of a 5-year warranty and delivery before 10:30 a.m. the following day. (Sadly John Lewis's offer to dispose of customers' old tellies doesn't extend to purchasers of this particular model.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it if you love movies, sports and gaming., 19 Sep 2014
If you watch a lot of fast motion sports such as football or tennis, love movies and love gaming then this tv is ideal for you. It has to be best quality picture I have ever seen on a 1080p led tv. This tv is also ideal for gaming with it's pretty low input lag. And the fast refresh rate is perfect for football, it even has a built in football setting.

Not the best sound but that should be expected as its only a flat screen tv and if you want better sound you could always get a soundbar. The sound is very decent for a flat screen though.

The only downsides I can think of for this tv is the slow start up when switching on, but you get used to it. Also the absence of itv player and 4 on demand apps seems strange for a tv that has so many apps to choose from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb H.D. Picture for a L.C.D./L.E.D. TV., 17 Jun 2014
This was purchased from Amazon, but not by me.

'Don't get him started about flat panel televisions' is a commonly heard phrase in my house. As someone lucky enough to have seen the stunning picture on Sony's Trinitron H.D. C.R.T. TV (which, fair enough, weighed, er, let's just say a lot) this means that my opinion of flat panel televisions is not high. A collection of unhappy compromises, is probably the fairest I can be.

Sadly, the day had to come when my dear old Sony Trinitron began to fade. Ah, many's the time when my flat-paneled friends would come round to watch the football because the motion blur on their swanky (I added the s) new televisions did their heads in. Anyway, the review:

I'm a Sony kinda guy, and have been for decades, so when the day came to get a new television they were always going to be my first choice. I didn't want a massive screen, but I did want a television with the best H.D. picture that I could get from a 32 inch screen; the Sony KDL-32W705B is it.

Out of the box, the H.D. picture was good and the S.D. picture was terrible, but having seen and helped friends set up their new TVs, this was not unexpected, and as I would be calibrating it anyway, didn't worry me. After calibration the H.D. picture was excellent and the S.D. picture was more than acceptable. For technical reasons, it's impossible to get a very good S.D. broadcast picture on a full H.D. television.

The screen handles the H.D. signal from a Blu-ray player extremely well, displaying a crisp, clear, and detail rich picture, with only the tiniest amount of motion blur in fast action scenes. Watching the World Cup on the Freeview H.D. channels again produced an excellent picture, with only very small amounts of motion blur coming from the ball when it was traveling at high speed.

Sound quality is exactly what you would expect from a flat panel television, so you will need to buy a sound bar, or sound base.

Design and build quality is, as you would expect from Sony, very high. A top quality plastic case and a perfectly smooth screen with a very neat bezel. The inputs and outputs are nicely laid out, and the set is very well balanced on the metal stand supplied. The remote is a little bit too small and lightweight for my liking, but it is neatly laid out and works well.

I would recommend going to Sony's website for the full specification and list of web content and Apps.

If you're thinking about moving from a C.R.T. TV to flat panel television, I can recommend this model. It won't be be able to produce the high quality S.D. broadcast picture that you are used to, but the H.D. picture is terrific. I would strongly recommend calibrating it using a calibration disc, as this will make a huge difference. Trying to adjust it by eye and guesswork will only produce an acceptable picture at best.

3.0 out of 5 stars so expected it to be good. Set up is easy - took about 15 ..., 18 Aug 2014
Peter Gray (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
I did quite a bit of research before buying this, so expected it to be good. Set up is easy - took about 15 mins for it to download all its software, etc. At first it couldn't get a decent wi-fi signal (even though my home wifi is good), so none of the online stuff worked. Very disappointing! And the manual, FAQs etc were no use whatsoever. But then, on the third day (appropriately) it suddenly found the signal and now works perfectly. Great picture, good sound (I'm only using the tvs built-in speakers).
I'm very happy with it.

UPDATE - after another few days the internet side went off again - it can only get a weak wi-fi signal even though my router is good. Sony's only advice was to move the router into the same room as the TV - not practical in my house without paying for another phone socket. Basically the set's wi-fi reception is poor and will only work if it's less than 5 metres away. So even though my laptop could get perfect wi-fi right next to the TV, the set itself can't. SO I'm downgrading it from 5 stars to 3: picture is excellent, sound v good - internet useless.

I finally solved it today by buying a cable to connect the laptop to the TV so I use the TV as a mirror screen for the laptop. Works a treat

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning TV with built in iPlayer & Netflix, but rather mediocre sound (and some incomplete 3rd party apps, at time of writing), 2 April 2014
LJD (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sony KDL42W705B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart TV with Freeview - Black (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 1:47 Mins

📦 RECEIVING THE BOX
=============

📦 When I received the box, I was taken aback by how slim it was.

On the front :
- it says "Sony Bravia - feel the beauty". I thought that was pretty cocky! (I later realised it's warranted!)
- Also on the box [see the top left of this page - user photos] it touts a recommended *optional* accessory, a wireless subwoofer. (I'll come back to this later, when discussing sound)

INITIAL SET UP
===========

I initially set this up in the corner of the living room away from the cable box. It asked for me to select my WiFi network and then enter my password. [It was a midly annoying to do this using the on screen keyboard; thankfully you'll only ever have to do it once.]

It then asked if it could update itself. I accepted and it duly updated, with the white light at the bottom pulsing on and off [🎥 see video] for about a minute.

I was able to watch iPlayer (🎥see video) within minutes.

It's a boon that I could stream TV from the internet without any additional hardware; it's all built in. [It's like having a BUILT-IN Roku box or Apple TV! I've seen apps on TVs before, and this may be damning with faint praise, but this is the least-crap, most usable implementation I've seen of it].

KEY POINTS
========

✨The picture is stunning. You can tell as you flick through the menus.
🔊 The sound is a bit 'meh'. (It's a bit crap - maybe it improves dramatically with the purchase of that wireless sub advertised on the box)
👎 What's missing, at the time of writing, is the ability to watch 4OD (over the internet).
📀 When watching BluRay discs, the picture is good (as long as you're sitting across the other side of the room)

-----------

You can stop reading now unless you really want to read the boring minutiae.

The stuff below is optional reading. :)

MISC COMMENTS / OBSERVATIONS
=====================

- When using the SkyNews app [over WiFi], the resolution was crap. Massive "pixels" - very blocky. Disappointing. (this is when I'm sitting close to the TV.. from across the room, it actually looks fine)

- When using iPlayer, the picture was acceptable. I was able to go into settings and select HiDef [🎥see video].

- The Netflix app/interface is nice. I was able to sign up for a 1 month free trial. (It's £6 / month after that). [Alas, you do have to give it your credit card info]

- The power brick is pretty huge [🎥see video] - almost the size of the remote control itself [not that it matters, I suppose, as it will be tucked away out of sight]

- Whilst iPlayer worked well on day 1, on day 2 I kept getting error messages; nothing would play. Not sure if this is due to my ISP or the BBC or Sony. [I'll keep trying to get it sorted and update here, accordingly]

📡 This TV is good for "cord cutters". That is, people (usually nerds) who no longer want to pay for SkyTV or cable. You can get so much content over the internet now. If I was Mr Murdoch, I might feel a bit scared. (Not everyone is tech savvy; for people who want to use this like an old school TV, it works very well for that too. It's just a good all round TV.)

⌛️ There is a (slight) lag when opening apps. The apps themselves vary in quality. (I guess they are being continually iterated so could improve.) Some are good, some are shockingly crap - they don't even launch! Presumably, due to buggy code.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5 star, 29 Jun 2014
the TV itself is great, what lets it down is the smart side of it. perhaps I should have done more research and it probably isn`t Sony`s fault but the internet side of the TV is not as good as I expected. the browser is very limited and will not play live videos which is why I bought it rather than a new laptop to stream to my old TV.
the quality of the picture is really great and everything else the TV does is really good, if it wasn`t for the internet problems it would get 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Allot smarter than your average Bear, 18 Aug 2014
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Where should I start...

The Sony KDL42W705 is a substantial TV. It looks pleasing and is nice and slim. As with other Sony products it is a breeze to setup and get up and running. The picture out of the box is pleasant, but with a little tweaking it can look better. The smart functionality is excellent. It does have allot of unnecessary apps, but you can remove these if you so desire.

The sound is good, but to really get the best out of it, you should invest in external speakers. The bezel is nice and thin and during a movie you can barely notice it. You can run the software update, so you have the latest stable release and after that you are good to go.

Playing games on it is briliant and it is fast and responsive. Watching a blu-ray is sublime, the colours are accurate and "The Amzing Spiderman" looked awesome on it.

I thoroughly recommend it. If you want 3D then this isn't for you, look at the next model up with 3D spec. But, for normal HD viewing you can't go wrong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture - Great. Sound - not so good., 23 Sep 2014
Bedroom TV.

I purchased this TV for a couple of reasons, the main reason being - iPlayer is no longer supported and stopped working on my bedroom Sony Blu-ray player (BDPS-570) and my existing 2007 KDL-32D3000 not having any SMART capabilities at all left me needing a bedroom upgrade!

The TV itself is very well made, a small aluminium bezel around the edges give the impression the screen is actually bigger than it is, a very modern look. The power supply is from a block type transformer and the lead to it from the mains plug is quite short - luckily I had a longer replacement and that meant I was able to place the TV on top of a chest of drawers and plug the mains lead on to a trailing socket on the floor - sitting the block behind the TV. It would have pulled the lead out of the back of the TV had I left the block dangling down to the floor.

The picture is a big improvement on my 2007 model, its very clear and the colours are vibrant. HD channels really stand out and the motion seems a lot smoother. The screen is also no reflective which helps if its placed near a window or any other light source.

I used an Ethernet cable to give it internet access and set it an IP reservation on my router, it then went off and found a software update which downloaded and installed smoothly. The whole process took about 15 mins to set the TV up, and all you need is a cross head screwdriver to set the legs and stand up. It also comes with a wall bracket if you want to wall mount it.

I was quite impressed by the TV until it came to setting the sound up, I just can't get it to sound 'good'. I've tried many settings - and there are a lot of sound settings - but it always ends up sounding a bit tinny and hollow. You can get bass from the equaliser settings but it always just ends up sounding 'ok'. There's even settings to change from wall mounted to table top but I can't find a happy medium. If anyone reading this review is able to get theirs sounding good without having to purchase a subwoofer or a sound bar, please let me know your settings! My old 32D300 was really good for sound without having to play with any settings, this new TV isn't a patch on it. I should have know better I suppose, a lot of the reviews did mention this. My bad!

One other little niggle is the sleep timer. If you are viewing a external source such as a Freesat Box, you can use the sleep timer as usual, set it up from the remote and just fall to sleep. However, if you are watching anything from a Sony Blu Ray/USB key or streaming and want to set it up, you have to select another source first, set the timer up and then return to your content as the remote button fails to bring the sleep timer up on the screen. Annoying!

The SMART services are ok a little slow even with a very fast internet connection, but again still no ITV Player or 4OD unlike the new Samsung range.

You select the APPs you want and add them to your own list, Amazon Prime Instant Video is on there and does work well, and in fact the remote control has a separate NETFLIX button which is quite useful.

There is a built in Freesat box and satellite connecter next to the normal aerial plug but I'm yet to try it out - I still have a trusty Humax Freesat HD box for now.

I'll keep this TV for the bedroom (and have to keep fiddling trying to find a decent sound), but I'll definitely be looking at other brands in the future before committing to buy - Sony are no longer the top brand they used to be - in my opinion - they seem to be getting left behind by others.

From what should have been a 5 star product, I've removed 1 star for the sound quality and another for the niggles like the sleep timer, lack of ITV Player & 4OD and short mains cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value TV, 25 July 2014
This TV has a superb HD picture. The very small bezel is barely noticeable when you're watching the TV but I think the black bezel is better still in this respect. The sound quality isn't great but you can pair it with a Sony wireless subwoofer which makes a massive difference. Access to online content is easy with the built in Wi-Fi working well. The usual apps are available including Lovefilm, iPlayer and Netflix. All work well. You can also record directly onto a USB stick which is a really great feature. Overall this is a qood quality and good value TV.