Published 6 months ago by Cameron

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture - Great. Sound - not so good.
Bedroom TV.

I purchased this TV for a couple of reasons, the main reason being - iPlayer is no longer supported and stopped working on my bedroom Sony Blu-ray player (BDPS-570) and my existing 2007 KDL-32D3000 not having any SMART capabilities at all left me needing a bedroom upgrade!

The TV itself is very well made, a small aluminium bezel around...
Published 6 months ago by Mr Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV that delivers Superb Picture Quality and Features at a good price. RECOMMENDED., 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Sony KDL42W705B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart TV with Freeview - Black (Electronics)
I considered a few TV's before buying this KDL42W705B, our current Sony Lcd TV is still going strong after 6yrs. This replacement is. a worthy successor, picture quality is very impressive, I really like the VA panels Sony are using on their 2014 models, the blacks are some of the best Ive seen. I was. little concerned due to being so thin, and with other comments from some users suggesting the use of a sound bar to improve sound quality, I may need to buy one myself to get acceptable sound.
However,the sound is almost as good as the set its replaced, its certainly far better than I was expecting, and after tweaking sound setting to increase bass a little, it sounds pretty good,so I certainly wont be buying a sound bar as I really dont think its necessary, but if audiophiles want better sound then one has that option.

As a result of buying this TV Ive decided I will be renewing my Amazon Prime membership, as this TV has the Amazon App for playing Amazon movies, which works superbly, lots of other useful apps especially iPlayer. I also found the screen mirroring feature works great with our iPad and Android devices displaying the devices images very well indeed.

This TV has 2 tuners, a freeview, and a satellite tuner, I have not used the freeview tuner as we cannot receive freeview here, so we use. Humax twin tuner freesat PVR which works brilliantly. I have for curiousity however tried the satellite tuner, where it found over 700 channels, with lots being mere dupicates or being encrypted but all the current free to watch channels worked fine, and though you dont get the genuine freesat EPG you do get a EPG, but the proper freesat version is better, as I use the Humax freesat box the tuners will never get used so no big deal, but the Satellite tuner may be useful to some people.

What surprised me was the quality of the screen backlighting, being a EdgeLit backlight which is illuminated from the bottom I was expecting some uneven patches of brightness, but tests show it to be 100% uniform across the whole panel, with no bleed that I could detect even in a dark room so Im extremely pleased with the panel quality, and obviously no faulty pixels either. A very bright sharp panel, BTW if you find your set seems a little lacking in the brightness department, in other words you have to set your brightness levels high, try disabling the ambient light sensor in system settings, and it will spring to life, but make sure you calibrate it properly afterwards.

I really dont have many negatives to say about this TV, I paid £459 which was good value price, for what is a very capable TV. Unusually it uses a separate power brick to power the TV, which may need the cable extending if wall mounting, but in my case its hidden behind the corner TV cabinet, the TV itself remains cold even after many hours use which is a plus of having a separate power unit which tends to generate most heat in a TV, and also easier to replace of course.

If it turns out to be as reliable as the set its replaced I shall be most pleased, so based on the few days Ive had the TV it gets a Highly Recommended from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture, 11 Dec. 2014
Pleased with the TV so far. The picture is excellent and the sound is an improvement from my last Sony TV. The slimmed down bezel looks really nice and the stand works well.

Some extra features - Netflix button, football button, radio button, full HD, apps etc.

Positives: Picture quality, design, price, easy set-up (in theory!), functionality, loads of inputs/outputs.

Negatives: Had trouble tuning channels - Sony weren't much help but John Lewis were - looks like it needed to be tuned in prior to setting up wi-fi for some reason, so worth trying that if you have a similar issue. Lag on start-up before functions work, as mentioned in other reviews - if this is the price to pay for having streaming apps then i'd rather just have a great TV and buy a separate streaming box. Apps can be a bit clunky. Limited choice of good quality apps. No favourites button - it seems like you can edit your favourites (all 4 of them!) but not actually access them, i'm prob missing something tho.

Apps: No ITVplayer or 4OD, which seems bizarre. No Now TV app, so streaming box needed to get sky sports as pay per view, which should also add the other missing apps. Netflix of course. You Tube is good, Amazon Prime also. Picasa. Lots of other apps, mostly very niche and uninspiring. Apps and app store as a whole ok'ish to use but can be slow to respond.

Other: I-manual on the remote covers most things. Remote syncing/screen mirroring (haven't tried them out yet). Related search is great - it tells you all about the programme, including details of any song playing at the time! Poss worth waiting for the 2015 model vs. cheaper price for 2014 model/sales season. Radio button is a nice touch. Roku through HDMI worked straight away. At the moment I prefer my Roku streaming to the services that come with the TV, as it's speedier, better design and better to use. Do we really need 3 al jazeera channels? How about some French/Irish/Spanish content etc. I'd definitely recommend using the graphic equaliser to improve the sound, as it makes a big difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Excellent picture!, 20 Mar. 2014
After many long years my Panasonic 28" CRT finally went wonky.

Originally I was going to purchase a Panasonic TXL32E6B, but then I saw the new Sony and Panasonic side by side. No contest!

HD Picture simply stunning. SD excellent.. Mine is piped through a Virgin V+ box.

Sound: OK. Well I was spoiled with a CRT, so didn't expect too much. Acceptable, but will probably get a soundbase/bar sometime.

Apps: There are lots of Apps, most of them seem a bit worthless. We have used Netflix. Only has iplayer and 5OD as "watch again" apps, but this doesn't bother me as I have Watch again on the Virgin box. Amazon Prima/Instant Video doesn't work, yet.

Integration: I have mine hard wired as it's next to the router. Excellent streaming of videos/music etc from PC. Have used Nexus 7 (2013 version) for Miracast, so I can keep an eye on what's happening on the kids Minecraft!

Tweaks: You can fiddle all the settings 'til the cows come home.

Summary: Picture: Excellent Sound OK. Apps: OK

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5 star, 29 Jun. 2014
the TV itself is great, what lets it down is the smart side of it. perhaps I should have done more research and it probably isn`t Sony`s fault but the internet side of the TV is not as good as I expected. the browser is very limited and will not play live videos which is why I bought it rather than a new laptop to stream to my old TV.
the quality of the picture is really great and everything else the TV does is really good, if it wasn`t for the internet problems it would get 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Sony quality, 27 Nov. 2014
I bought this tv after reading the reviews as they were all fairly positive, I use the TV mainly for the Xbox one and it's great. I only have 2 very little negatives and they are the sound isn't that good compared to my 5yr old toshiba (so I bought the cheapest Sony sound bar which I high recommend), the other was that I wanted to mount the TV on the wall, I was impressed that the stand also doubles up as a wall mount, but the plastic spacers that space the TV away from the wall don't fit very well and there's abit of movement in the wall mount assembly so these spacers fall out if the TV is touched, I don touch the TV that much as we have the remote, this are only 2little winges and does not affect the performance viewing of the TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this tv after a great deal of research, 11 Sept. 2014
I purchased this tv after a great deal of research. A great choice, well worth the price. Would have liked a more detailed printed manual.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great all-round performer, 9 Mar. 2015
C. Gould - See all my reviews
The Blu-ray player in our bedroom recently died leaving us without a media player and Netflix access. While awaiting its repair and return I grew a little impatient and started investigating the possibility of replacing my ageing LG 32LH3000 with something a little more modern. After a fair bit of research into various makes/models I opted for the KDL-32W705B for a number of reasons.

Firstly, unlike many of its competitors, which opt for IPS panels in their TVs, Sony used an AMVA PSA panel in the W705B. What that means in simple terms is superior contrast and black level performance, something that I find essential for viewing in a darkened environment (and the primary reason my main TV in the living room is a Pansonic plasma). While still nowhere near the quality of plasma, the W705B does offer superior black levels and contrast to the LG TV it replaced, which struggled to produce anything other than grey-looking blacks on account of its IPS panel. The resulting image definitely has more 'pop' than that of the LG, especially with full-screen content or in brighter conditions (ambient light tends to make LCD TV's black performance look better). The minor trade-off here is with viewing angles, which are inferior to IPS panels. That's not to say they're terrible though, and you have to look at the screen from quite a wide angle before it starts to wash out (so wide as to be impractical for viewing). As the TV is placed right in front of our bed it's not an issue, something which will probably be true for many people.

While image quality was paramount in my decision I also wanted a Smart TV to replace the BD player going forward, as it was both wasteful and annoying running two electrical appliances to accomplish one job. The Smart features on the W705B aren't as good as some, but they suit my needs. I don't watch a lot of broadcast television in bed and have TiVo in the living room, so the limited on-demand/catch-up services don't trouble me. The lack of such services for ITV and Channel 4 could put some people off, but at least it has a dedicated iPlayer app. Anyway, I mainly use the built-in Netflix app to watch films and the odd series in bed, and it works very well. As I understand it there were issues with application navigation speed in the past, but I found the TV reasonably responsive. This could be due to the recent (March 2015) update designed to address performance issues. I was also pleased to discover that I could edit the DNS entries in the network settings, which allowed me to connect to the US Netflix service and view its larger catalogue. The built-in media player is also very useful for watching downloaded media, supporting a wide variety of popular file types such as mt2s, mpg, mp4, mkv, asf, mov and avi. I have personally played a variety of formats (mainly mp4/mkv/m2ts) and it works well.

The W705B has a wide array of customisation options for both picture and sound. The former allows you to tweak a lot of the settings to your personal preference, although the Cinema 1 preset actually comes quite close to offering accurate settings for home cinema use. I used this as my basis and then further refined, disabling some of the extraneous processing options and dropping the backlight level slightly. The TV lacks a proper colour management system, but it's not really aimed at the sort of person who would be looking to get their TV calibrated so it can be forgiven. The TV also has a very low input lag (at least according to all of the professional reviews I've read), which could make it an attractive proposition for gamers.

Unfortunately the audio is as weak as you'd expect from today's Smart TVs. CRTs often boasted decent sound, and even the older, fatter LCD displays could house reasonable speakers, but these super-thin LED backlit TVs just don't have the room to accommodate speakers with any 'ooomph'. As such the sound is quite tinny, and although there are options to boost the levels and add pseudo surround sound, the end results are still anaemic. Of course this is a weakness shared by most TVs these days, when manufacturers all-but expect people to be using a home cinema system (or a sound bar at the very least).

To summarise, the W705B offers impressive visual performance and a solid array of Smart and media playback features, but is hampered by some relatively weak audio. If your primary use is as a secondary TV in the bedroom it might not be an issue, but I have a feeling that the sound could get lost in a living room (not that I think 32" is big enough for a living room these days of high-definition content), so it's worth keeping that in mind. Other than that, it's a great little HDTV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this TV., 31 Jan. 2015
Right I've had this TV for a day or two now and here is my very early review/impression's on this TV. I bought the 42" model in black and also bare in mind this is an upgrade from my 6 year old 37" LG LCD TV and i mainly use my TV for watching videos like YouTube and BT Sport through my Chromecast and game through my Xbox One. I do not watch regular TV so i wont be commenting on that aspect.

How it looks...
I myself really like the look of the TV, hence why i bought it. The stand seems very strong for what it is considering its such a thin piece of metal. The TV itself is very light and also thin. The metal around the edges looks and also feels nice defiantly gives it a high quality look and finish.

The picture quality...
The picture on this is stunning, one thing that i notice is that the blacks are actually black for a change, the colors look brilliant and overall I'm impressed. I did look online for custom settings to try and get a more neutral panel because that's what suits my tastes. Gaming on this TV is brilliant also, nice and smooth and the image looks great, i do not use any of the built in image enhancements features while gaming and its still looks great. I mean you can't go wrong, the only way i think you could improve on this imagine is by going 4K, granted there is TV's out there with a more accurate color panel and contrast etc but they will only be minor improvements.

The sound...
I read a few reviews about the sound on this TV and loads of people claimed it was poor, however i consider myself a very keen audio person (I like the best sound possible) I think the TV's sound is good enough, I'm using it in my bedroom however and not in a large living room which may be why but for a average bedroom size the sounds seem above par.

The smart part of the TV...
I did not buy this TV for its smart TV features as i have my Chromecast to play YouTube videos and Netflix and all the rest. But i did test it out and i have to say like most of the reviews have said, it is a bit slow and clunky to use. The apps to look awful compared to the apps on your smartphone and they are slow to load. I didn't see this as an issue as I'm never going to use them which is why i didn't care about it before i bought the TV. However if you are someone who will use these features then possibly look for a more faster/smother experience as i can see it getting tiresome if you are using them everyday to stream movies and videos.

Overall i like this TV and would recommend this TV to almost anyone that is looking for a TV in this price range. It's good for gamers with a very low input lag, the picture is great and it looks modern and stylish and also very simplistic. So if all those tick your boxes don't hesitate to buy this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super TV for the money, looks brilliant and picture superb., 26 Nov. 2014
Beautiful TV and superb picture quality. Very easy to set up, inputting text is a bit cumbersome due to using the arrows around the central 'select' button but apart from setting up Wi-Fi and youtube videos I didn't really use them. Wi-Fi also able to connect via the WPS button which was the method I used.

TV automatically connected with NAS and mobile phone with no problems and the screen mirroring via Miracast function was very good, no stutter noticed although I didn't use this extensively.

Stand doesn't seem the most stable and I had concerns with a toddler running around but my fears were unjust, the tv is very secure on the beautiful stand. The bezel on this TV is very minimal and almost seems to enhance the viewing area. Sound is disappointing on this TV, very hollow/empty with very little depth. Bumping the 100hz up by 10 and the 200hz by 5 seems to make a bit of a difference but it's still lacking somewhat.

Great connectivity with enough HDMIs for most people. The real standout features of this TV are the looks and picture quality, they are simply superb for this price point, the SMART functions are good if a little slow to load but we're talking one or two seconds delay not a great deal. The apps are great, streaming is super from various sources. One annoyance I had was being unable to access the 'Options' when on Sky, I had to keep pressing one of the 'Sync' buttons at the top of the remote and then selecting 'Control TV with TV remote' - once set up I didn't have to go in the options often admittedly but a little annoying I was locked out in the first instance.

All told, great picture, great looks, great connectivity, so-so sound and very slightly below-average SMART functions but really ticked all the boxes. Unfortunately for me, this TV was just a little too small so sent back to Amazon who again provided first class customer service. If my budget stretched I would have gone for the 48in version of the TV but sadly cloths must be cut accordingly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Allot smarter than your average Bear, 18 Aug. 2014
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Where should I start...

The Sony KDL42W705 is a substantial TV. It looks pleasing and is nice and slim. As with other Sony products it is a breeze to setup and get up and running. The picture out of the box is pleasant, but with a little tweaking it can look better. The smart functionality is excellent. It does have allot of unnecessary apps, but you can remove these if you so desire.

The sound is good, but to really get the best out of it, you should invest in external speakers. The bezel is nice and thin and during a movie you can barely notice it. You can run the software update, so you have the latest stable release and after that you are good to go.

Playing games on it is briliant and it is fast and responsive. Watching a blu-ray is sublime, the colours are accurate and "The Amzing Spiderman" looked awesome on it.

I thoroughly recommend it. If you want 3D then this isn't for you, look at the next model up with 3D spec. But, for normal HD viewing you can't go wrong.