4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5 star
the TV itself is great, what lets it down is the smart side of it. perhaps I should have done more research and it probably isn`t Sony`s fault but the internet side of the TV is not as good as I expected. the browser is very limited and will not play live videos which is why I bought it rather than a new laptop to stream to my old TV.
the quality of the picture is...
Published 5 months ago by RICK DENNY

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture - Great. Sound - not so good.
Bedroom TV.

I purchased this TV for a couple of reasons, the main reason being - iPlayer is no longer supported and stopped working on my bedroom Sony Blu-ray player (BDPS-570) and my existing 2007 KDL-32D3000 not having any SMART capabilities at all left me needing a bedroom upgrade!

The TV itself is very well made, a small aluminium bezel around...
Published 2 months ago by Mr Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5 star, 29 Jun 2014
the quality of the picture is really great and everything else the TV does is really good, if it wasn`t for the internet problems it would get 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Allot smarter than your average Bear, 18 Aug 2014
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony KDL42W705B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart TV with Freeview - Black (Electronics)
Where should I start...

The Sony KDL42W705 is a substantial TV. It looks pleasing and is nice and slim. As with other Sony products it is a breeze to setup and get up and running. The picture out of the box is pleasant, but with a little tweaking it can look better. The smart functionality is excellent. It does have allot of unnecessary apps, but you can remove these if you so desire.

The sound is good, but to really get the best out of it, you should invest in external speakers. The bezel is nice and thin and during a movie you can barely notice it. You can run the software update, so you have the latest stable release and after that you are good to go.

Playing games on it is briliant and it is fast and responsive. Watching a blu-ray is sublime, the colours are accurate and "The Amzing Spiderman" looked awesome on it.

I thoroughly recommend it. If you want 3D then this isn't for you, look at the next model up with 3D spec. But, for normal HD viewing you can't go wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Excellent picture!, 20 Mar 2014
After many long years my Panasonic 28" CRT finally went wonky.

Originally I was going to purchase a Panasonic TXL32E6B, but then I saw the new Sony and Panasonic side by side. No contest!

HD Picture simply stunning. SD excellent.. Mine is piped through a Virgin V+ box.

Sound: OK. Well I was spoiled with a CRT, so didn't expect too much. Acceptable, but will probably get a soundbase/bar sometime.

Apps: There are lots of Apps, most of them seem a bit worthless. We have used Netflix. Only has iplayer and 5OD as "watch again" apps, but this doesn't bother me as I have Watch again on the Virgin box. Amazon Prima/Instant Video doesn't work, yet.

Integration: I have mine hard wired as it's next to the router. Excellent streaming of videos/music etc from PC. Have used Nexus 7 (2013 version) for Miracast, so I can keep an eye on what's happening on the kids Minecraft!

Tweaks: You can fiddle all the settings 'til the cows come home.

Summary: Picture: Excellent Sound OK. Apps: OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV that delivers Superb Picture Quality and Features at a good price. RECOMMENDED., 30 Sep 2014
I considered a few TV's before buying this KDL42W705B, our current Sony Lcd TV is still going strong after 6yrs. This replacement is. a worthy successor, picture quality is very impressive, I really like the VA panels Sony are using on their 2014 models, the blacks are some of the best Ive seen. I was. little concerned due to being so thin, and with other comments from some users suggesting the use of a sound bar to improve sound quality, I may need to buy one myself to get acceptable sound.
However,the sound is almost as good as the set its replaced, its certainly far better than I was expecting, and after tweaking sound setting to increase bass a little, it sounds pretty good,so I certainly wont be buying a sound bar as I really dont think its necessary, but if audiophiles want better sound then one has that option.

As a result of buying this TV Ive decided I will be renewing my Amazon Prime membership, as this TV has the Amazon App for playing Amazon movies, which works superbly, lots of other useful apps especially iPlayer. I also found the screen mirroring feature works great with our iPad and Android devices displaying the devices images very well indeed.

This TV has 2 tuners, a freeview, and a satellite tuner, I have not used the freeview tuner as we cannot receive freeview here, so we use. Humax twin tuner freesat PVR which works brilliantly. I have for curiousity however tried the satellite tuner, where it found over 700 channels, with lots being mere dupicates or being encrypted but all the current free to watch channels worked fine, and though you dont get the genuine freesat EPG you do get a EPG, but the proper freesat version is better, as I use the Humax freesat box the tuners will never get used so no big deal, but the Satellite tuner may be useful to some people.

What surprised me was the quality of the screen backlighting, being a EdgeLit backlight which is illuminated from the bottom I was expecting some uneven patches of brightness, but tests show it to be 100% uniform across the whole panel, with no bleed that I could detect even in a dark room so Im extremely pleased with the panel quality, and obviously no faulty pixels either. A very bright sharp panel, BTW if you find your set seems a little lacking in the brightness department, in other words you have to set your brightness levels high, try disabling the ambient light sensor in system settings, and it will spring to life, but make sure you calibrate it properly afterwards.

I really dont have many negatives to say about this TV, I paid £459 which was good value price, for what is a very capable TV. Unusually it uses a separate power brick to power the TV, which may need the cable extending if wall mounting, but in my case its hidden behind the corner TV cabinet, the TV itself remains cold even after many hours use which is a plus of having a separate power unit which tends to generate most heat in a TV, and also easier to replace of course.

If it turns out to be as reliable as the set its replaced I shall be most pleased, so based on the few days Ive had the TV it gets a Highly Recommended from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning TV with built in iPlayer & Netflix, but rather mediocre sound (and some incomplete 3rd party apps, at time of writing), 2 April 2014
LJD (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 1:47 Mins

📦 RECEIVING THE BOX
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

📦 When I received the box, I was taken aback by how slim it was.

On the front :
- it says "Sony Bravia - feel the beauty". I thought that was pretty cocky! (I later realised it's warranted!)
- Also on the box [see the top left of this page - user photos] it touts a recommended *optional* accessory, a wireless subwoofer. (I'll come back to this later, when discussing sound)

INITIAL SET UP
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

I initially set this up in the corner of the living room away from the cable box. It asked for me to select my WiFi network and then enter my password. [It was a midly annoying to do this using the on screen keyboard; thankfully you'll only ever have to do it once.]

It then asked if it could update itself. I accepted and it duly updated, with the white light at the bottom pulsing on and off [🎥 see video] for about a minute.

I was able to watch iPlayer (🎥see video) within minutes.

It's a boon that I could stream TV from the internet without any additional hardware; it's all built in. [It's like having a BUILT-IN Roku box or Apple TV! I've seen apps on TVs before, and this may be damning with faint praise, but this is the least-crap, most usable implementation I've seen of it].

KEY POINTS
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

✨The picture is stunning. You can tell as you flick through the menus.
🔊 The sound is a bit 'meh'. (It's a bit crap - maybe it improves dramatically with the purchase of that wireless sub advertised on the box)
👎 What's missing, at the time of writing, is the ability to watch 4OD (over the internet).
📀 When watching BluRay discs, the picture is good (as long as you're sitting across the other side of the room)

-----------

You can stop reading now unless you really want to read the boring minutiae.

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

The stuff below is optional reading. :)

MISC COMMENTS / OBSERVATIONS
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

- When using the SkyNews app [over WiFi], the resolution was crap. Massive "pixels" - very blocky. Disappointing. (this is when I'm sitting close to the TV.. from across the room, it actually looks fine)

- When using iPlayer, the picture was acceptable. I was able to go into settings and select HiDef [🎥see video].

- The Netflix app/interface is nice. I was able to sign up for a 1 month free trial. (It's £6 / month after that). [Alas, you do have to give it your credit card info]

- The power brick is pretty huge [🎥see video] - almost the size of the remote control itself [not that it matters, I suppose, as it will be tucked away out of sight]

- Whilst iPlayer worked well on day 1, on day 2 I kept getting error messages; nothing would play. Not sure if this is due to my ISP or the BBC or Sony. [I'll keep trying to get it sorted and update here, accordingly]

📡 This TV is good for "cord cutters". That is, people (usually nerds) who no longer want to pay for SkyTV or cable. You can get so much content over the internet now. If I was Mr Murdoch, I might feel a bit scared. (Not everyone is tech savvy; for people who want to use this like an old school TV, it works very well for that too. It's just a good all round TV.)

⌛️ There is a (slight) lag when opening apps. The apps themselves vary in quality. (I guess they are being continually iterated so could improve.) Some are good, some are shockingly crap - they don't even launch! Presumably, due to buggy code.

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this tv after a great deal of research, 11 Sep 2014
I purchased this tv after a great deal of research. A great choice, well worth the price. Would have liked a more detailed printed manual.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish TV & great picture quality, but media compatibility & interface could be improved, 7 May 2014
KMW (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
--[ Design & connectivity ]--

This is without doubt one of the most stylish looking TV's I've ever owned. It's thinness and slim brushed steel bezel makes it look extremely sleek and classy. There's also a nice metal stand which can function both as a table stand and as a wall mount, which is cool.

This TV has excellent connectivity and is equipped with 4 x HDMI, 2 x USB, Ethernet, component, composite, Scart, RF in, Analog audio input, Optical digital output, Audio output and Headphone output. There's also built in Wifi, which works fine.

--[ Picture Quality ]--

HD Picture quality is truly stunning - Colours are vibrant and accurate, with the best black levels I've seen on an LED television. SD upscaled quality is also good and there's a variety of picture options for fine tuning picture quality. Backlight uniformity is very good with no noticeable light bleeding or clouding. There is some slight DSE (Dirty Screen Effect) noticeable when watching football, which all LED TV's suffer from, but It's not overly problematic on this set and generally doesn't spoil viewing experience. Viewing angles are average and don't seem quite as good as my LG 42LN575V Smart TV, with contrast and colour suffering at 45 degrees and beyond. A slight blue hue is also noticeable which is somewhat annoying. Response time is good, keeping motion blur to a minimum and easily good enough to watch fast paced sports and performs fine for the footy. Sony included "LED Motion Mode", which is available in the settings, but you lose so much brightness it's essentially pointless unless you're viewing in a totally darkened room.

Gamers should be impressed with the TV's impressive low input lag (14ms) and additional game modes that offer a more accurate colour palette. PS4 games look incredible.

Sound quality is average, but generally it's no different to most other slim TV's. I find it adequate and slightly better than the LG.

--[ Smart TV Features ]--

This is the second smart TV I own, with LG 42LN575V being my first Smart TV experience, which I was impressed with.

Here, you are greeted with an interestingly simple UI flavor, offering a stylish yet clean interface. Navigation is generally straightforward using the supplied standard remote. Sony also includes the One Touch Pad Smart Remote, which is OK, but unlike the LG smart remote, there's no cursor navigation, so you have to scroll through the menus using the touchpad, which can sometimes be slow and frustrating. LG smart TV's offer cursor navigation when using the LG smart remote or smartphone apps, allowing for much quicker, accurate and easier navigation between menus. I also prefer the actual interface of the LG, although Samsung offers the best designed interface overall.

Sony have a fully loaded and very nicely designed smartphone app called TV SideView available on Android (which I'm using) & iPhone, where you can browse TV (TV guide), Recordings, Home Network Content, Social News feeds and use it as a remote to control the TV. The remote control is designed well, offering a standard remote layout, scroll touchpad, cursor touchpad, app list and web URL address bar. The cursor touchpad is used within the browser, but it would be great if sony could expand this function to control all of the TV's menus. Based on UI design, Sony's app trounces LG's much less refined offering, but because LG uses a cursor touchpad for menu navigation, it's more of a pleasure to use.

A few mainstream catch up services are available, Like iPlayer and 5OD, but you won't yet find 4OD or ITV player here, as those are exclusive to Samsung TV's. The usual video-on-demand apps are available, like lovefilm and Netflix. Amazon instant video is there, but not yet working (as of may 2014). Other popular media and social apps are available, like youtube, facebook and twitter etc. There's also a decent selection of other apps which can be downloaded from the Sony app store.

The web browser (which took me a while to find in the app list) is based on Opera, but it is very basic and limited. The current version does not include any flash lite plugins or HTML5, so don't expect to do much here. Both LG and Samsung include browsers based on Chrome that offer flash lite and HTML5 support. It seems the browser here was not important to Sony, which is disappointing.

Home Network DLNA media streaming is OK, but not great. All of my NAS shares (via Twonkymedia) are detected and all of my MKV movies are nicely listed in a thumbnail viewer on the TV, which looks great, but it seems to be a lottery whether one will work. Even with those that play fine, there's an unsupported content message constantly displayed at the bottom. I think this TV can't cope with higher bitrate 1080p MKV's, which is frustrating, considering the same movies play fine on my LG.

--[ Conclusion]--

Overall, It's a stylish TV with fantastic picture quality and great for gaming. If Sony work to improve it's Smart TV functionality, media compatibility, and overall usability, we'll have the ultimate TV. At the moment though, I'd recommend this for those looking for the best picture quality and gaming TV, but the LG for those requiring better DLNA media compatibility, web browser implementation and viewing angles. I have yet to fully test Samsung's Smart TV features, but reviews are very favourable and so they're probably worth checking out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 29 Jun 2014
Mark (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This TV is the nuts. Very stylish, the picture is great it is easy to use. The only downer (and I'm nitpicking here) is that it is a little on the slow side with the apps. Not so that it will ruin your day, but just enough to notice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb H.D. Picture for a L.C.D./L.E.D. TV., 17 Jun 2014
This was purchased from Amazon, but not by me.

'Don't get him started about flat panel televisions' is a commonly heard phrase in my house. As someone lucky enough to have seen the stunning picture on Sony's Trinitron H.D. C.R.T. TV (which, fair enough, weighed, er, let's just say a lot) this means that my opinion of flat panel televisions is not high. A collection of unhappy compromises, is probably the fairest I can be.

Sadly, the day had to come when my dear old Sony Trinitron began to fade. Ah, many's the time when my flat-paneled friends would come round to watch the football because the motion blur on their swanky (I added the s) new televisions did their heads in. Anyway, the review:

I'm a Sony kinda guy, and have been for decades, so when the day came to get a new television they were always going to be my first choice. I didn't want a massive screen, but I did want a television with the best H.D. picture that I could get from a 32 inch screen; the Sony KDL-32W705B is it.

Out of the box, the H.D. picture was good and the S.D. picture was terrible, but having seen and helped friends set up their new TVs, this was not unexpected, and as I would be calibrating it anyway, didn't worry me. After calibration the H.D. picture was excellent and the S.D. picture was more than acceptable. For technical reasons, it's impossible to get a very good S.D. broadcast picture on a full H.D. television.

The screen handles the H.D. signal from a Blu-ray player extremely well, displaying a crisp, clear, and detail rich picture, with only the tiniest amount of motion blur in fast action scenes. Watching the World Cup on the Freeview H.D. channels again produced an excellent picture, with only very small amounts of motion blur coming from the ball when it was traveling at high speed.

Sound quality is exactly what you would expect from a flat panel television, so you will need to buy a sound bar, or sound base.

Design and build quality is, as you would expect from Sony, very high. A top quality plastic case and a perfectly smooth screen with a very neat bezel. The inputs and outputs are nicely laid out, and the set is very well balanced on the metal stand supplied. The remote is a little bit too small and lightweight for my liking, but it is neatly laid out and works well.

I would recommend going to Sony's website for the full specification and list of web content and Apps.

If you're thinking about moving from a C.R.T. TV to flat panel television, I can recommend this model. It won't be be able to produce the high quality S.D. broadcast picture that you are used to, but the H.D. picture is terrific. I would strongly recommend calibrating it using a calibration disc, as this will make a huge difference. Trying to adjust it by eye and guesswork will only produce an acceptable picture at best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Incredible !, 24 May 2014
The picture , sound and overall design is of the highest quality
after looking for a tv for a few months i finally decided on this one
and i'm extremely glad i did , for Gaming & Movies it's simply the overall
best picture quality iv'e seen on any Flat screen and the includes the sound too
the sound itself has a depth and overall clarity about it , i'm unsure why a few
people have complained about the sound and i've personally used various
sound systems throughout the years , for a flat screen it's brilliant
i was genuinely surprised with the sound

It took me around 30 mins to fully set up including apps , they all work well
loading times are instant and navigation is simple
i couldn't really fault the tv for the whole deal price picture , sound and the
extremely low lag input for gaming

All in all if your a person who highly enjoys Gaming & Movies then this tv is for you
if your just using it for regular HD tv then i'd go with a lower priced tv , Sony's quality
is always top of the range on all their products , if money is nothing to be worried about
then do yourself a favor and buy this now !

10/10 !