4.0 out of 5 stars love the writing but not the method of delivery, 4 May 2014
Essbee (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Kraken King Part II: The Kraken King and the Abominable Worm (Kindle Edition)
I pre-ordered the first instalment and was really getting my teeth into it when it finished. I waited patiently until the second one came out and read it in one sitting. The end of the section seemed to finish even more abruptly. I like the story, I enjoy the characters, the world building is excellent and I have not noticed any anomalies between the books but I do not like this piecemeal approach. I love to become totally absorbed when I am reading and the abrupt endings are frustrating as I feel I am just getting into things and bang I have to wait another couple of weeks. I really feel the impact of the book is lost with the gap. I don't mind paying a bit more for a favourite author so it's not an issue of the extra cost that this instalment approach incurs. I have made the decision that I will wait until the book is released in its entirety or until all the different sections are published and buy the lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Need more!, 26 April 2014
This is the second part of this spin off from The Iron Seas series and brings the reader back to Zenobia Fox and her journey through the wilds of Australia. She's still trying to get her friend Helene safely to her husband but it's a struggle as smugglers and marauders inhabit the land. She's met Ariq and he is without a doubt the most tempting man Zenobia has ever met but he's not to be trusted or is he? In the harsh and forbidding landscape Zenobia will face dangers unlike any she has ever encountered but perhaps the greatest danger is posed by Ariq. He's being friendly for now but how long until he shows his true colours? They say keep your friends close and your enemies closer but which is Ariq?
I'm loving this adventure! It's a wonderful piece of writing that exemplifies all that steam punk is about. From modified humans to creatures that nightmares are made of this story has it all. An alternative reality that makes the reader wonder what if? Ms Brook is without doubt one of the most descriptive and imaginative writers around and she just sucks you into the world that Zenobia is travelling through. This serialisation is well worth reading and I can't wait to see just what's next for our plucky heroine but it's not just her story as supporting characters are quite intriguing too. It's a very talented author indeed who can tell a story whilst also fleshing out minor characters and Ms Brook truly excels at this. As a reader I'm beyond curious to know what's next but I'm also really starting to care about all those involved. Well done Ms Brook and please write faster!