5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
I bought this movie on the basis of comments I have seen about it on various anime forums, which all seemed favourable. Well, it is safe to say I was not disappointed!

Published 10 months ago by bozeman1941

3.0 out of 5 stars Too little
I do not mind it so much that this animé is short. The story itself, especially the main character, shows too little growth. I did like the representation of the park, even when it seems a bit like a film in drawings. Only parts are really uplifting.
Published 1 month ago by @Caseiokey

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 27 Aug 2013

The first thing you notice is the stunning detail in the animation; it is super-lifelike, and looks gorgeous. At times it is hard to distinguish it from real 'live' footage, and things like the rain, and daily life scenes like the trains and the station, are breathtakingly realistic. In fact, only the characters themselves look like 'cartoons', and even they are beautifully drawn, with realistic shading, colouring and lighting effects; awesome - a visual feast!

Coming to the story itself, the only down-side is that it is short, at about 45 minutes; I wish it had been full-length, say 90 minutes or more. It was touching, heartfelt, emotional, and made you feel for the characters. I loved every minute of it! The English dub is excellent, with many of the 'usual suspects', including Patrick Poole as male lead Takao, Maggie Flecknoe as Yukari Yukino, the female lead, plus Shelley Calene-Black, Brittney Karbowski, Hilary Haag, David Matranga, and Blake Shepard all putting in appearances. I won't summarise the story here, as the product description covers that; but it was totally excellent, and very moving.

I strongly recommend this movie - it is a definite keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Art..., 3 Sep 2013
R Ferguson (Stevenston, Ayrshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
Press Pause, Print & Frame...
Almost anytime, honest it's that good.
Nice film and the storyline was interesting, Enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must watch for the animation aspect., 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The first time I saw this trailer I was eager to watch it. When the time came, I had no idea what I was going in to as I did not read the synopsis. I only knew it was going to be a short movie.

From the first seconds of the movie the animation is top quality. Probably the best animation you have ever seen as in how much effort and time took to make a scene. The buildings, trees, look so realistic. I can understand if people don't really care much about the characters as you don't have much time to see them develop. But I was fine with the two main characters and even so I didn't care much about them but from when I met them I was eager to see how this film will involve with them. I can't say much because it will go to Spoiler territory. But if you have 46min to spare I highly recommend giving this a watch. Makoto Shinkai did a wonderful job on this movie. I have not seen all of his work but wouldnt mind now after seeing this and Children who chase lost voices.

If you feel my written review didn't give much justice, please check out my video: ([...])

5.0 out of 5 stars Muted, 26 Feb 2014
Mr. Roy Williams "mid point" (Croydon,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It may just be a mediocre translation for the tile but there isn't THAT much dialogue...,ahem...,to speak of.
However....,the whole animation is based around rainy days and sitting in the park shelter and just enjoying the weather.
It concerens two strangers taking time off from what they're supposed to be doing.
'Irresponsible', I hear you say.Well.you'd be right.....,sort of.
Stick around to hear their reasons.That's what the film is about.It's like eavesdropping.
One thing I did notice was the repeated use of the same piece of animation,particularly the tree dipping into the water at the gardens.It's a short film too,and I wanted more,of course.
That's a mean critisism really,I just wanted to see more of the fantastic scenes that we know Makoto can create.
If that's why YOU are interested,then it doesn't disappoint.There are some brilliant sunsets,showers and medative moments.
One of my favourites is near the end of the film,when the relationship we see on the DVD cover,comes to....,well....,fruition,I 'spose.
It has a painfull twist in the tail/tale though,so be warned !
The extras on the DVD explain more and are definitely worth watching.
Is it one to add to your collection ? It sure is ! No doubt about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fan favourite, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
As a fan of the works of Makoto Shinkai, I came to this short movie with open eyes. the movie itself is just under 50 minutes, but its amazingly complex story and beautiful animation and soundtrack do the length just adding belief to the adage - its not quantity its quality. Lovely through and through and once again the director captures audiences with his love stories with a twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [DVD] (DVD)
The story started a little strange but turned out to be thought-provoking. The best part of the story is the graphic imaging. The images and background are so beautifully done with magnificent precision and colour blending that it seems that nature has been given a boost, as ifthat is the way it should be but isn't in our time. I was mesmerised and enjoyed it so much that it worked as a relaxation therapy..

5.0 out of 5 stars Shinkai at his best, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This piece by Makoto Shinkai is stunning to watch, what is now his trademark style of gorgeous visuals and detail, mixed with a wonderful story he is on his way to being the next big name is Japanese animation. The only way I can describe this film even though it is only 45 minutes long is like moving artwork. You can take any frame from this film and use it as a stand alone piece of artwork, it is stunning to watch. Do not think about whether to buy this or not, just add it to your basket!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too little, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Still, I do like the unusualness of Japanese Animé! Also the subject is a bit surprising, but not as scandalous as some thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely animation movie, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is the best in terms of quality, really enjoyed watching movies, great story. Must watch this anime. like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful masterpiece, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The art is unlike any other animation. The vivid scenes can only be justified on blu ray and is a crime to watch it in anything but HD.

Garden of Words [Blu-ray]
Garden of Words [Blu-ray] by Makoto Shinkai (Blu-ray - 2014)
12.75