5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
I bought this movie on the basis of comments I have seen about it on various anime forums, which all seemed favourable. Well, it is safe to say I was not disappointed!

Published 21 months ago by bozeman1941

3.0 out of 5 stars Too little
I do not mind it so much that this animé is short. The story itself, especially the main character, shows too little growth. I did like the representation of the park, even when it seems a bit like a film in drawings. Only parts are really uplifting.
Still, I do like the unusualness of Japanese Animé! Also the subject is a bit surprising, but not as...
Published 11 months ago by @Caseiokey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 27 Aug. 2013

The first thing you notice is the stunning detail in the animation; it is super-lifelike, and looks gorgeous. At times it is hard to distinguish it from real 'live' footage, and things like the rain, and daily life scenes like the trains and the station, are breathtakingly realistic. In fact, only the characters themselves look like 'cartoons', and even they are beautifully drawn, with realistic shading, colouring and lighting effects; awesome - a visual feast!

Coming to the story itself, the only down-side is that it is short, at about 45 minutes; I wish it had been full-length, say 90 minutes or more. It was touching, heartfelt, emotional, and made you feel for the characters. I loved every minute of it! The English dub is excellent, with many of the 'usual suspects', including Patrick Poole as male lead Takao, Maggie Flecknoe as Yukari Yukino, the female lead, plus Shelley Calene-Black, Brittney Karbowski, Hilary Haag, David Matranga, and Blake Shepard all putting in appearances. I won't summarise the story here, as the product description covers that; but it was totally excellent, and very moving.

I strongly recommend this movie - it is a definite keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must watch for the animation aspect., 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The first time I saw this trailer I was eager to watch it. When the time came, I had no idea what I was going in to as I did not read the synopsis. I only knew it was going to be a short movie.

From the first seconds of the movie the animation is top quality. Probably the best animation you have ever seen as in how much effort and time took to make a scene. The buildings, trees, look so realistic. I can understand if people don't really care much about the characters as you don't have much time to see them develop. But I was fine with the two main characters and even so I didn't care much about them but from when I met them I was eager to see how this film will involve with them. I can't say much because it will go to Spoiler territory. But if you have 46min to spare I highly recommend giving this a watch. Makoto Shinkai did a wonderful job on this movie. I have not seen all of his work but wouldnt mind now after seeing this and Children who chase lost voices.

If you feel my written review didn't give much justice, please check out my video: ([...])

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Art..., 3 Sept. 2013
R Ferguson (Stevenston, Ayrshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
Press Pause, Print & Frame...
Almost anytime, honest it's that good.
Nice film and the storyline was interesting, Enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Muted, 26 Feb. 2014
Mr. Roy Williams "mid point" (Croydon,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It may just be a mediocre translation for the tile but there isn't THAT much dialogue...,ahem...,to speak of.
However....,the whole animation is based around rainy days and sitting in the park shelter and just enjoying the weather.
It concerens two strangers taking time off from what they're supposed to be doing.
'Irresponsible', I hear you say.Well.you'd be right.....,sort of.
Stick around to hear their reasons.That's what the film is about.It's like eavesdropping.
One thing I did notice was the repeated use of the same piece of animation,particularly the tree dipping into the water at the gardens.It's a short film too,and I wanted more,of course.
That's a mean critisism really,I just wanted to see more of the fantastic scenes that we know Makoto can create.
If that's why YOU are interested,then it doesn't disappoint.There are some brilliant sunsets,showers and medative moments.
One of my favourites is near the end of the film,when the relationship we see on the DVD cover,comes to....,well....,fruition,I 'spose.
It has a painfull twist in the tail/tale though,so be warned !
The extras on the DVD explain more and are definitely worth watching.
Is it one to add to your collection ? It sure is ! No doubt about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fan favourite, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
As a fan of the works of Makoto Shinkai, I came to this short movie with open eyes. the movie itself is just under 50 minutes, but its amazingly complex story and beautiful animation and soundtrack do the length just adding belief to the adage - its not quantity its quality. Lovely through and through and once again the director captures audiences with his love stories with a twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this film, 28 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I watched this movie online and fell in love with it, the art is stunning; the story is simple yet sweet, the soundtrack compliments what's happening so well that you can't help but simply enjoy watching it. Despite watching it online I found it was one of those movies which I just had to own so I bought and watched it in both Japanese and English. Usually I am not a fan of English dubs but the dub for this is just as good as the Japanese (well Japanese is slightly better but nevermind that lol) and as a result I can't really find any fault with the movie. As you can probably tell I just love this film even though it is short: short but sweet.
Anyways hope you enjoyed reading my review.

On another note the manga is just as good :P

4.0 out of 5 stars Garden of Words, 22 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Garden of Words [DVD] (DVD)
The first thing to say is that this movie is gorgeous the animation is first class and really draws you into the world. The story is very nice and is a sweet, short slice of life that revolves around a boy who always skips school on rainy days and finds himself learning about the life of a girl who also skips work on rainy days as well. Its a heartwarming story and its very enjoyable to watch, however I found that it ended quite abruptly which was a little sad. A similar film is 5 Centimeters per Second and that is just as stunning and if not better, if you like that you'll appreciate this piece of art and vice versa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational!, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Together with '5 centimeters per second' are the most beautiful anime films at this moment. In blu ray format the sceneries are stunning!

4.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive subject well executed, 25 April 2015
This review is from: The Garden of Words (DVD)
Stunning graphic but too short to properly deal with such a sensitive issue.
The boy, Takao, 15, is too young to have such emotional feelings toward Yukino, 27. Were the movie longer Makoto Shinkai would have had time to build each character.
- Takao relationship with his brother and mother, His brother doesn't believe in Takao's talent in potentially being an artist and not just a good craftsman.
- Yukino' background is only superficially covered and could have done with as first person explanation instead learning about it via other characters gossiping.

The relationship between a 15 years kid and a 27 years old woman one is a sensitive subject and is carefully dealt by Makoto but, at the first time of watching, I felt uncomfortable.
Looking back at it is well done but it could have done with 30 more minutes to build characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful to watch, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Garden of Words [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Really visually stunning film, would recommend to any anime fan who likes something sweet and short.
Story leaves a lot open and would of liked to find it more what happened.
Also the film itself is only 45 minutes long - I paid £20 for the item so would recommend waiting for it to drop down a bit!
But all over really beautiful and sweet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Garden of Words [Blu-ray]
Garden of Words [Blu-ray] by Makoto Shinkai (Blu-ray - 2014)