5.0 out of 5 stars The musical journey continues, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Four (MP3 Download)
More of Charlotte (and the excellent musicians assembled - go see her perform live if you want more proof ) making the music she wants to make on her terms. Intelligent music from an intelligent person. I know she has said there will be 5 eps but I hope there is more

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tunes, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Four (MP3 Download)
As with all the EP's this one does not disappoint, a mix of styles coming together to keep the listener interested. Admittedly I am not normally a charlotte Church fan but since Glitterbomb there is a definite edge to her music and it is very interesting to listen to, I am hooked and would recommend listening to all the EP's One through Four.

My personal favourite on ths disc and most interesting arrangement musically and vocally track 2 - Love alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good But..., 19 April 2014
This review is from: Four (MP3 Download)
This is the first Charlotte Church record I've heard and so of course my opinion will be lacking some credibility. I have heard of Charlotte's music before, mostly from what I've read in music magazines and online but have hardly heard any of her previous material so I was coming at this with fresh ears.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and overall thought it was a very good EP and will be checking out her other's in the series. Charlotte has an amazing voice as most people will already be aware and I know her transition from her previous music style into the pop arena has been questioned and dismissed by some critics (snobs?) but this is a genuinely good record and shows that she does have a place making this type of music.

This EP is very electronic and soundscape-influenced and I immediately thought of people like Bjork when I heard it (as I suspect both Charlotte and her band/production team did when making it). This is a good thing but brings me onto my main criticism of this EP and that's that it has far too much production on it and the music in general is very busy and has too much going on which I think detracts somewhat from Charlotte's singing.

I think perhaps they concentrated on making the music and sounds/feel first and then remembered that they had to make a song out of it and so tacked on some vague song elements. I know they were probably going for a more alternative and electronic feel with different structures but for me they kind of lost the plot a bit and this experimentation needed reigning in.

Indeed there is one song (Little Movements) which has auto-tuned Charlotte's voice and this for me was about 10 years out of date and sounded tacky.

Having said all that, I really enjoyed the record and it's good to hear Charlotte going in a different direction. I hope to hear more like this in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Aug 2014