5.0 out of 5 stars A fine album from Damon Albarn
Published 14 months ago by Sid Nuncius

3.0 out of 5 stars Good not Great
Good album but not great album like some reviews have said! Only my opinion though!
Published 4 months ago by john mc campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine album from Damon Albarn, 28 April 2014
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
He's good, that Damon Albarn, isn't he? I've known and liked his work for years, but I can't claim to be a real Albarn aficionado so others may have more informed insights into this album. For what it's worth, though, I think this is a very fine album. It has a rather laid-back, often jazzy feel to it, reminding me of some greats of the 70s and 80s. I was reminded of people like Robert Wyatt, Paul Weller, Pink Floyd in Grantchester Meadows mode, even the more mellow side of Lou Reed...you get the idea. It's great stuff, beautifully produced with pretty stripped-down backing but a lovely rich sound.

The songs are a varied and interesting bunch. As you'd expect from Albarn they are melodically and harmonically excellent and have enjoyable and intelligent lyrics. If there is an overall theme it is the dehumanisation of modern life and how we interact with electronics more and each other less. The album's opening line, "We are everyday robots on our phones..." and lines like, "It's hard to be your lover when the TV's on..." strike home well, I think.

I've listened to this album a lot (I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy), and am continuing to do so with great pleasure. It will be part of the soundtrack to many people's summer, I suspect, but there's real meat here and I think it will last a lot longer. I'd recommend it very warmly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow-burning modern masterpiece, 26 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
Everyday Robots is heavy. It’s an album weighed down by a kind of lovelorn resignation to modern life’s challenges. It’s there from the opening moments… shuffling out of the shadows and gently clunking, twinkling and wheezing towards the lovely conclusion of ‘Heavy Seas of Love’. Damon sings of the stuff that sits wearily on his shoulders.

There’s something of early Boards of Canada’s landmark hymns to nostalgia in the tone and feel of the album. It’s dense with sound. Things click and whirr. Voices echo in and out of time. Yet the whole thing breathes. It’s open and warm and there’s space enough to climb inside to let it all wash over you. Listened to from afar, it might drift a little. The jaunty excursion of Mr Tembo aside, this is a mono-paced mooch of an album. On occasion the songs drift in to one another, woozily lurching from idea to idea.

It’s beautiful, though. Just listen. Melancholy melodies come and go. Unexpected musical twists catch the ear. The whole thing ebbs and flows. Its hands are dug in pockets and eyes are only for the ground, but its bones and heart are full of hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars A long overdue release!, 15 Feb. 2015
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
As far as I'm concerned, Damon Albarn, the frontman of Blur and Gorillaz is a god in the world of music, and his debut album, released last year has been long overdue and much anticipated. 'Everyday Roberts' did not disappoint me, and I think it's overall strangely beautiful, not to mention catchy. I should point out straight away that the music here is nothing much like the material of his two big bands, this is almost a completely new sound, and a showcase of his abundance talents.

With honest, reflectful lyrics and a variety of instruments and production, 'Everyday Roberts' is very pleasing on the ear. My personal favourite song is the quirky 'Mr. Tempo', a jolly little track that makes me feel warm each time I hear it and the one I find myself playing on repeat until I realise that it's now the seventh consecutive time, it should have been a big hit. The title track is stunning, like a Radiohead song with a robots theme, and 'Heavy Seas of Love' and 'Lonely Press Play' are equally wonderful.

Damon Albarn is such a versatile talent and a very creative guy. If you are looking for a great album, I highly recommend that you buy your copy of 'Everyday Robots' today, and pre-order the upcoming Blur album which is out in April, music with Mr. Albarn really is something!

The deluxe edition is available here: Everyday Robots [CD+DVD], and contains a bonus DVD, featuring the official promotional video of the title track 'Everyday Robots'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album by one of the best British songwriters since Lennon/McCartney and Bowie!, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
I'm not sure what so people have against this album. Yes it is melancholy in places, but it's also incredibly beautiful. It's also incredibly catchy too - I defy anyone not to sing along to the second part of 'You and Me' which IMO is one of his best songs in years!

If you like Blur, the Gorillaz, or indeed any of the other projects Damon has put his name to in recent years, and give this album a genuine chance, you will be rewarded with one of the best albums of the year, and one of Damon's best!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Takes a couple of listen's but really love it now!
Mr Temple is my favourite so far but the other tunes are growing on me!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Musical Masterpiece., 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
I have liked everything that I have heard over the years by Damon Albarn and this solo album has proved to be no exception. Musically it a masterpiece. A combination of arrestingly tuneful, though somewhat melancholic, with cheerful and upbeat. I liked it on first hearing, and each time I play it I enjoy it more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
I love this album - it's a real grower. The first couple of times I listened to it, I thought it was okay but nothing special but having had it on repeat in the car for a couple of weeks (:-)) I absolutely love it. Have always rated Damon Albarn - hugely talented bloke - & this is a really special album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good music, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
Great solo album from Damon Albarn.

5.0 out of 5 stars An everyday listen!, 23 Jun. 2014
M. Batson (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Robots (MP3 Download)
This is an album that I enjoyed from the very first play, and it has quickly become one of my favourites. Albarn just seems so comfortable in his "skin" and you can hear that in his music, which is deceptively simple but at the same time so multi-layered. Long may he continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
I really like this. I haven't the time to spend carry out detailed musical criticism. If you like the Good, the Bad and the Quen you'll probably like this one.

Everyday Robots [VINYL]
Everyday Robots [VINYL] by Damon Albarn (Vinyl - 2014)