5.0 out of 5 stars A fine album from Damon Albarn
Published 4 months ago by Sid Nuncius

3.0 out of 5 stars Chilled
Very chilled, nice background music.
Published 1 month ago by Jen

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine album from Damon Albarn, 28 April 2014
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Everyday Robots [CD+DVD] (Audio CD)
He's good, that Damon Albarn, isn't he? I've known and liked his work for years, but I can't claim to be a real Albarn aficionado so others may have more informed insights into this album. For what it's worth, though, I think this is a very fine album. It has a rather laid-back, often jazzy feel to it, reminding me of some greats of the 70s and 80s. I was reminded of people like Robert Wyatt, Paul Weller, Pink Floyd in Grantchester Meadows mode, even the more mellow side of Lou Reed...you get the idea. It's great stuff, beautifully produced with pretty stripped-down backing but a lovely rich sound.

The songs are a varied and interesting bunch. As you'd expect from Albarn they are melodically and harmonically excellent and have enjoyable and intelligent lyrics. If there is an overall theme it is the dehumanisation of modern life and how we interact with electronics more and each other less. The album's opening line, "We are everyday robots on our phones..." and lines like, "It's hard to be your lover when the TV's on..." strike home well, I think.

I've listened to this album a lot (I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy), and am continuing to do so with great pleasure. It will be part of the soundtrack to many people's summer, I suspect, but there's real meat here and I think it will last a lot longer. I'd recommend it very warmly.

4.0 out of 5 stars ah! the music industry, 27 Jun 2014
Alberto Argento (La Pampa, Argentina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Robots [VINYL] (Vinyl)
By the time I decided to purchase this record (ON VYNIL!) I already knew, through listening to the songs in Spotify, that this was an instant classic. To my ears, it is already the record of the year, and I am sure I will continue to listen to it in the future. No surprise there. Well done, Damon, you're one of the big guys.
I would give this ítem 5 stars, but the stupid music industry did it again, showing new signs of its dinosauric tendency to suicide.
Why split the songs in two LPs, when in the old days a record this long fitted well in a single disc? It's a drag having to flip sides every three songs!
But the most annoying fact came when I tried to claim the MP3 files from the record company's website: the answer was that my code was no longer valid -though the card that came with the record claimed otherwise. And I tried several times. What a waste of time, and of consumer's trust.
Believe me, this is not a cheap thing to buy from Argentina.
If you act as efficiently as the Spanish Empire, don't complain about the pirates.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mature, downbeat and compelling..., 13 Aug 2014
War Baby (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
I never liked Blur or Gorillaz, in fact I didn't think I liked Damon Albarn. Then I saw the Dr Dee performance at the Manchester International Festival and decided that I liked him quite a lot! The soundtrack to that production really appealed to me, and so I decided to give this a go as well. I'm glad I did.
There is no doubt that Albarn has a real talent for writing low-key, melancholic anthems - and this record is full of them. I love the way he allows the melodies and hooks to build gently and seep into your conscience. It's very clever, very mature, and, when done right, very moving.
There isn't a weak song on this record, and the sound-bed is beautiful; lots of clever electronica and idiosyncratic noises that add mood and substance without filling out the space too much - and there is loads of space in these songs. It's all very downbeat and quietly compelling. Well done Mr Albarn. You'll never change my mind about Britpop, though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this album, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
I'm not a big Blur fan but I appreciate good music and it takes a little persuasion for me to purchase albums these days.
I found this a great honest album and I like the stripped back aspect of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album by one of the best British songwriters since Lennon/McCartney and Bowie!, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
I'm not sure what so people have against this album. Yes it is melancholy in places, but it's also incredibly beautiful. It's also incredibly catchy too - I defy anyone not to sing along to the second part of 'You and Me' which IMO is one of his best songs in years!

If you like Blur, the Gorillaz, or indeed any of the other projects Damon has put his name to in recent years, and give this album a genuine chance, you will be rewarded with one of the best albums of the year, and one of Damon's best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good music, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
Great solo album from Damon Albarn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
You know what your getting when you buy anything which Damon Albarn is involved in. A timeless classic! If you're a fan of blur or/and gorillaz you will love this album.
Like all his music, in my opinion it should be in a genre all on its own. Genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Takes a couple of listen's but really love it now!
Mr Temple is my favourite so far but the other tunes are growing on me!!

4.0 out of 5 stars vinyl is good value, mp3 copy included free, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Bit melancholy in terms of tunes, lyrics quite upbeat though. Lot of diverse instruments and production. Not at all like blur or gorillaz which is the whole point. Vinyl is a double album and looks super.

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow-burning modern masterpiece, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots (Audio CD)
Everyday Robots is heavy. It’s an album weighed down by a kind of lovelorn resignation to modern life’s challenges. It’s there from the opening moments… shuffling out of the shadows and gently clunking, twinkling and wheezing towards the lovely conclusion of ‘Heavy Seas of Love’. Damon sings of the stuff that sits wearily on his shoulders.

There’s something of early Boards of Canada’s landmark hymns to nostalgia in the tone and feel of the album. It’s dense with sound. Things click and whirr. Voices echo in and out of time. Yet the whole thing breathes. It’s open and warm and there’s space enough to climb inside to let it all wash over you. Listened to from afar, it might drift a little. The jaunty excursion of Mr Tembo aside, this is a mono-paced mooch of an album. On occasion the songs drift in to one another, woozily lurching from idea to idea.

It’s beautiful, though. Just listen. Melancholy melodies come and go. Unexpected musical twists catch the ear. The whole thing ebbs and flows. Its hands are dug in pockets and eyes are only for the ground, but its bones and heart are full of hope.

Everyday Robots [CD+DVD]
Everyday Robots [CD+DVD] by Damon Albarn (Audio CD - 2014)