Format: Audio CDChange

on 5 January 2015
Haven't stopped playing the album, the tracks are just achingly beautiful. Once in a while an artist/group (not many in the past forty years) come along and the tracks strike at you heart. Blissful they are not, more like love lost, they tug at you! Brilliant, maybe my album of the decade.
on 9 May 2014
Having been a follower of their music for a number of years and feeling as though they were not receiving the critical acclaim the band are deserving of, the performance on Letterman, and this new album has seen to that.

Think 80s synth music, with one of the most raw voices, full of emotion out there presently, and great writing, and you will hopefully find yourself a little intrigued. Then give them a listen and find a catalogue of catchy brilliant music that can become the soundtrack to many moments of your life.

Luckily, I have now seen the band live on the back of the 'Singles' tour and left the show feeling shell-shocked at how brilliant they were, how perfect their sound carried to a live performance and of course Samuel T. Herring's ability to enrapture an audience and have them in his theatrical grip.

Watch the ever captivating Letterman performance of 'Seasons' to get an idea.

Great album, well worth a purchase.
on 24 October 2014
Shades of Talking Heads, Talk Talk, early Depeche Mode, New Order, Yazoo and Avalon-era Roxy Music - but they have a sound all of their own and it sounds like now if that's not a complete contradiction? There is something lyrical and really affecting about his voice and delivery. This is a really special album I think. I don't love every track but I really really love almost every track. This album is a complete joy.
on 13 December 2014
Wonderful album. I love how the husky voice melts with the electronic music; the lyrics are very personal and they make this record special. One of those records you'll find as a "cult album" in few years One of the best CD I lestened in 2014.
on 5 March 2015
Not by any means my normal taste in music; I saw them on Joools and my curiosity was piqued by the antics of the singer as well as this blissfully sounding music. I ordered the CD the same night; again not something I would normally do, and it turns out to be one of my picks for "Album Of The Year".

Every song is at least great and those that aren't are brilliant. Highly recommended.
on 17 October 2014
Saw these on Jools Holland and just had to buy the album and I wasn't disappointed.
I agree with the chorus of praise for this album here. Like several others, I hadn't heard Future Islands before seeing them on the Jools Holland programme. I thought they were excellent and risked the album; I wasn't disappointed.

The music is great - it took me back to the early 80s with strong echoes of Vince Clarke, Steve Strange, New Order and any number of other bands in the arrangements in various places (I thought there were hints of The National, too). What really makes this special, though, is their excellently named frontman Samuel T. Herring. He manages to look like a slightly overweight nerd from the accounts department while also delivering fantastically emotional, powerful vocals and producing his own unique dance moves. It's a great combination and this is a first-rate album in my view.

My advice is to listen to a few samples. If you like them don't hesitate - this is an album of real quality from start to finish.
on 4 October 2014
Well, having seen them on Later with Jools, and listening to them online, I have to say this CD will have to become part of my collection. A passionate and somewhat different delivery from the front man (nice moves!), and great sounding tracks overall, it's a no brainer, to coin a phrase. They seem to be one of those bands that come along from time to time and offer something a little different, that just elevates them from the pack. Great stuff!
on 21 April 2014
I am relatively new to Future Islands having been introduced to them through a friend a few months back. Signed to 4AD these guys are now one of the new spearheading acts of a highly respected record label (Twin Shadow, Deerhunter, Pixies, Scott Walker etc...). What strikes me from watching their live performances is the charisma and downright strangeness of their lead singer, albeit this strangeness is good! For the first time in a long time we seem to have an individual who has a unique style of delivery and dance moves. I can't help but find this very cool. As for the music there is a pop sensibility to the writing, catchy choruses and synth laden hooks to get your teeth into. With a title such as 'singles' I think they are pointing to the fact that every song on the album is suitable for radio play. Comparisons will be made with many 80s acts but I believe that is lazy journalism. Can we face that synths are used as much in the 2010's as was back then! I would compare them to their contemporary label mates in terms of sound. The clinical synths and driving bass work perfectly with Samuel T Herring's soulful voice. The tracks don't outstay there welcome, all being around the 3-4 minute mark making this a very concise effort that cuts off all unnecessary fat. Great effort guys and keep up the work!
on 16 May 2014
Catch these lads on the Lettermen show on You Tube. They blew the roof off the show. Now on with the CD. It's good, very good. Lashings of mid-period Bowie synth sounds with a heart rending soul voice on top. Nothing quite like it which makes it new and refreshing. You will want to listen to it a lot.