4.0 out of 5 stars Story of the modern day Royal Family
Interesting and informative book on the past and present of the modern-day Royal Family, up to the time of Charles & Camilla's engagement. While Penny Junor pulls no punches, I appreciate that she's not bashing the Royal Family just for the sake of it. Her writing is crisp and the book seems very well researched. I recommend it.
Published on 10 Jan 2006 by SusieQ

2.0 out of 5 stars Diana-bashing anyone?
Published on 29 Aug 2006 by O. Doyle

2.0 out of 5 stars Diana-bashing anyone?, 29 Aug 2006
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is the first book I've read by Penny Junor and I'm pretty sure it'll be the last as my hope of an unbiased book about the Royal Family was definitely not fulfilled. It wasn't hard to see where this book was going from the get-go as for the first 120 or so pages this book centered on what I can only call Diana-bashing. Obviously not a fan of Diana's Penny Junor's book had more of a `We Love Charles' theme to it than anything else. Throughout Diana is cast as unstable, paranoid, selfish, jealous and vindictive and Prince Charles is portrayed as the over-worked, under-appreciated Heir to the Throne who can do no wrong. On the subject of Charles and Camilla this book has a theme also. While Diana is cast with the die of adulteress for her affairs, Ms Junor sees no wrong in the Heir to the Throne having an affair spanning most of his marriage to Diana. Personally I think more could have been done to integrate Diana into the family but Penny Junor is of the opinion she should have just gotten on with it.

Ms Junor was also quick to assassinate the character of the ex-employee involved in the `rape tape' investigation that gripped the Prince of Wales household not too long ago. She seems to have a knack of assassinating all the characters disloyal to Prince Charles. Interesting that! Ms Junor has also met Camilla and thinks she's the bees-knees so its obvious which side of the fence she's on, therefore killing off any chance of an unbiased book.

In the chapter about Paul Burrell the butler was slated for his betrayal of the Royal Family and in particular Princes William and Harry by the publication of his book `A Royal Duty'. I can't see the Princes being too enamored with Ms Junor calling their late mother unstable over and over again. And I mean over and over again. But she's cast Prince Charles as Mr Wonderful so I'm sure that'll help smooth things over next time she wants an interview.

What I did enjoy about this book is learning about the intricacies of how the inner workings of the palace has evolved over the years and what little could be learned about the rest of the Royal Family. But all in all I didn't read much that I didn't already know. All in all this was a disappointing and very biased book. I'm not Anti-Charles anymore than I'm Pro-Charles but going into this book I was hoping for two sides to every story.....all I got was the Pro-Charles side.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Really New, 4 July 2005
Alas, another book from Junor trying to promote a white-washed image of Charles and Camilla. There is nothing really new in this book, just the same old story, second verse, could get better, but it only gets worse. Junor, ironically, is the first author to do a biography of Princess Diana in 1982; however, through the years, especially after Diana's death, she has increasingly put her feet in Charles' camp. In this book, she tries to justify Charles' infidelities with Camilla by saying that at least he had only 1 lover, as compared to the numerous lovers Diana had; so the failure of the marriage is more Diana's fault. Apparently Junor has never comprehended that one big leak can sink a ship a lot more quickly than a few small ones. Diphiles, read this book if you need a good emetic to spew.

4.0 out of 5 stars Story of the modern day Royal Family, 10 Jan 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 8 Mar 2014
Penny Junor can be relied upon to write interestingly and truthfully. There are not so many books nowadays about the Royal family which seem to say that everyone has settled in the water for now and the future.

ARRAY(0x11699fcc)