Edition: Standard|Change

on 7 May 2014
I'm going to start by reviewing this unit in comparison with the original Vita OLED model, and then I'll compare it to the PSP and give some additional details.

I bought this despite having an OLED model because it's thinner, lighter and has better battery life, and I thought I would give my original Vita to my brother as a birthday present, which I will be doing later this month.

So let's start off with the controversial screen issue. I'm not sure why so many people seem so bothered by this, but for me, it's not a big deal. Manufacturers of top smartphones use both OLED as well as IPS LCD screens, as there are advantages and disadvantages to both - it isn't at all generally accepted in the phone industry that an OLED is superior by default. It is true that black colours on the new screen aren't as deep as on the OLED which basically has perfect contrast, but they are still very deep - this is actually possible with an LCD!

Like other people have mentioned, I do also find the new screen a little sharper. When you get battle close-ups in Final Fantasy VII, the image is now so crisp it almost looks on a par with the PC version. Maybe the screen issue is partly subjective and other people notice a bigger difference in terms of the colours, but don't think you're buying a downgrade if you get this, because you're not.

And there are some areas where the new model is definitely an upgrade. It feels better in hands being lighter and slimmer, the rear touch panel is smaller so you're less likely to hit it accidentally in games where it's actually used, and I've also already noticed the improved battery life.

4mm slimmer is quite a big difference when you're talking about 18.75mm down to 14.75mm. It's just proportions. I also prefer the new matte black finishing around the outsides compared to the glossy metallic plastic the original had, although again, this may be subjective.

Right, so for people who don't own a Vita but do/did have a PSP, let's see how the Vita stacks up to the PSP.

For a start, it's a little bigger, mostly due to the slightly larger screen. Secondly, there are now two analogue sticks instead of one - invaluable for first person shooters or whatever else developers want to do with them. The screen is now a capacitive touch screen, and the rear of the console is also touch-sensitive.

The console is massively more powerful than the PSP, with graphics rivalling the Playstation 3. It also helps that screen resolution has seen a big bump.

This new model also connects to a power supply or PC/PS3/PS4 using a standard micro USB cable, which is handy as these are now widely available and are standard on basically all phones except iPhones.

So let's move onto software. The interface is clean and very user-friendly. There are some apps available to download, like Skype, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. There is also a somewhat hidden away section in the PS Store where a library of apps similar to on smartphones/tablets is building up. The web browser is much improved over the PSP's and is now quite usable.

The most important thing software-wise is games. And here, the Vita actually isn't doing badly. There are exclusive Wipeout, Uncharted, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, LittleBigPlanet and Killzone titles, and a good number of ports. There are also some exclusives like Gravity Rush. Throw in the fact that you can download PSP and PS One titles, and you actually have a pretty good catalogue.
on 8 November 2015
This is a great portable gaming system with not much bad to say about it really other than saying that the 2012 model looks a bit better but that's nothing and that the joysticks don't feel very strong like they'd staple off with certain games but other than that it's a very decent piece of gaming equipment and recommend any fan of PlayStation products to buy this.
on 1 July 2015
I've recently migrated from the Nintendo ecosystem, so this is where the review is coming from. I've been a Nintendo fan for years, and I still am, since my first handheld was a DS.
I recently went for the new 3DS a couple of months ago, and while I was really happy, since I had upgraded from the DS, I found the retail games to be prohibitively expensive. There was no way I could play a new game without trading an old one in. I managed to play Majora's Mask and Bravely Default, along with Monster Hunter 4 with my time on the new 3DS, which were great, but I still was not completely satisfied, even with my back library of DS games. It's a great console, but I quickly grew tired of the limited selection of games I could go for on my budget.
One of my first concerns with the PSVita, was that everyone was slamming it due to it's lack of games. While this is true in some respects, since there are fewer retail games, the statement is honestly far from the truth. For my first game on the system I picked up the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. It's really such incredible value for money, and I'm a big Metal Gear fan, so it was an instant plus for me. I also picked up Minecraft and Killzone and both are absolutely fantastic. So then I went on the PS Store, and I was blown away. I picked up Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker and Final Fantasy Tactics, all priced very economically, and now I'm pretty much set for a few months. I'm looking forward to getting Persona 4 Gold next and Axiom Verge. I hope the Vita gets a Monster Hunter game soon though, Monster Hunter X would be great, but I honestly have no issues whatsoever with the library otherwise. So yeah, if anyone says there are no games for the Vita, it's untrue, just point them to the immense library of PSP games on PSN. I don't have a PS4 or a PS3, but I'm still really enjoying the system without streaming games or anything.
About the only gripe I have is the UI. I much preferred the XMB menu style on the old PSP and PS3, the Bubble UI just seems a bit too cluttered, but I just stuffed all the unnecessary apps into two (!) folders, and it just looks much tidier now.
As for the console itself? It's a technical masterpiece. I'm really enjoying it, and the screen is just fantastic. The games run really smoothly, and there's no discernible lag whatsoever. This is a great system, just often misunderstood.
on 23 June 2014
I used to own the original Vita and got used to the wonderful OLED screen but unfortunately my console was stolen and I had the opportunity to upgrade to the new Slim version. Upon getting it out of the box the first thing that struck me is the size and weight reduction; the new Vita seems ridiculously light and is much easier to fit in a pocket or bag. The new screen is the biggest change, to an LCD panel instead of the OLED, but isn't really a downgrade at all. It isn't quite as bright, especially if you play in natural light, but it makes the colours look a bit more natural compared to the over saturated look from OLED displays. The battery life increase from decreased power consumption is considerable, as I usually get at least 6 or 7 hours now compared to the 4 or 5 hours I used to get.

Pros:
+New screen gives more natural colours
+Massive battery life increase
+Feels very lightweight but still solid
+Built in memory (1GB) to store saves and updates etc
+Still a great console with its own library of brilliant games (Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway, for example) and remote play with the PS4
+Changed to a micro-usb connector for charging compared the old proprietary connector

Cons:
-Not as good in bright sunlight as the old model
-The smaller size can make it even more uncomfortable to hold if you have big hands but I get by now I've got used to holding it
-Slightly less premium feel than the original and seems to attract fingerprints more easily
-Still not enough built in memory; it should really have at least 8-16GB built in so you don't have to waste so much money on expensive memory cards

Despite the few niggles I have, this is the best portable console I have ever owned, and I can totally recommend it if you don't already have a Vita. However, if you still have the original this is really just an incremental upgrade rather than a massive leave forward so I wouldn't recommend trading up unless you really need the extra battery life.
on 9 January 2016
Great piece of kit...great screen.nice and sharp and clear.easy to use.lots of games you can download.sadly not a great choice of cartridge games from third party developers probably due to not enough demand as Sony didn't sell as many as predicted...ive had mine since launch and love it loads.
on 29 March 2016
Fast delivery and works fine as expected of a brand new product.

I love my vita I take it on the trains or play it while watching TV in bed. I would advise you to get the 64gb memory card if you download from the PS store. Even though it's expensive I couldn't do without it.
on 8 October 2015
This is the first time I have owned a ps vita and I am playing persona 4 golden. The screen is crisp the menu system is easy to navigate the battery life is reasonable at over 4 hours plus. All in all an excellent little handheld console and I look forward to buying more titles for it.
on 6 September 2015
By far the best hand held on the market and with the free monthly games from PS Plus (for £40.00 per year) there is even more value for money. I currently own over 70 digital titles so wont have to buy new games for quite some time. Great device.
on 12 September 2014
Great solid product from Sony. Pitty its going out of fashion. Still, great games available for it and will become sought after in time. Glad I bought it, especially for Borderlands 2, Tomb Raider, Ridge Racer 4 & Resident Evil.
on 5 December 2015
Brilliant
Has loads of features and has tons of games on the playstation store such as gta vice city and gran turismo. Really good for searching the web and watching utune vids

Yes m8 :D