5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable gaming device
I was put off at first because of all the negative comments regarding the screen quality, but I went ahead and purchased it anyway and I wasn't disappointed.

Published 1 month ago by M France

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony missed the mark with this "upgrade"
Published 6 months ago by Vardant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable gaming device, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)

When you're playing games, the screen looks extremely clear. It's not 1080p HD quality but you need to keep in mind this is a light, portable console. HD quality isn't required for mobile gaming, that's not what it's about.

The build quality is very good, I like the matte black plastic on the back and the shiny front. It's light and comfortable to hold and play for longer periods of time. The mini USB charging port is a vast improvement as most people have them for cameras or phones. I'd recommend a good quality screen protector as a precaution - if you're good at applying them, then it's not noticeable and a worthwhile investment.

There is a wide selection of games available for me personally. I bought it for the ps classics as well as the more modern RPG games like Ys: Memories of Celceta and Persona 4. WipeOut 2048 is a good classic racing game. If you're at the stage of looking to buy a new vita, then you probably already know your gaming style so be sure to check out the games for yourself to avoid any disappointment.

The expensive part is a memory card as Sony introduced a unique version to stop any SD card being used (lots of issues with the original psp and the jailbreak scene made it necessary to keep attacting game developers). I went for the 16gb card with 10 game download voucher which included Little Big Planet and WipeOut as I wanted these anyway.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with my purchase and would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars On par with the original PS Vita., 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
Ok the LCD screen is not as good as the original PS Vita. However, the colour on the PS slim is more natural and not over saturated like the original PS vita. Also, having seen both Vitas the Slim is brighter and slightly sharper. The Slim has the advantage that it is lighter and more comfortable to hold for longer hours of gaming. The shoulder buttons are much better on the Slim and are not so loose and clunky as the old Vita. The advantage of the Slim having a gigabyte of internal memory isn't great and you will still have to buy a decent size memory card for game updates and downloads from PS store. One of the great plus points of the Slim is that you will not have to keep charging so much as the battery is really good and lasts approximately 5 hours compared to the old Vita which was about 3 hours, before it needed a charge. Another advantage of the Slim is that it has a micro usb input meaning you can plug it into a usb port on the PS4 to charge. Remote play is the same on old and new Vita. I wouldn't personally buy the new Slim if you already have the old Vita but if you don't have a Vita at the moment buy the Slim. It is not worth the upgrade if you have the old Vita. New purchasers should go for the Slim. If you have a PS4 then the Slim is an essential purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Improvement Overall, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
As an ex old vita owner I decided to get the new slim model for gaming on the go although I am ready to admit that the price is a bit steep given the absence of a memory card (fortunately I had an old memory card left from my old Vita days). At least Vita games tend to be on the cheap side which is a plus point.

Despite the much discussed replacement of the OLED screen with the new LCD, the new Vita still boasts great display, the resolution being unchanged, and though the colours are less poppy and there is less contrast, in somes respects it makes the Vita display less tiring for the eyes - I was playing Littlebigplanet Vita last night and though at first I was shocked by what appeared to be a washed out colour palette as I gamed on I became accustomed to it. I was disappointed at first but that disappointment ended when I considered what this model has going for it as compared to the previous one:

- this unit is lighter and more portable (let's face it the original Vita is a monster)
- the slim fits more snuggly in the hands
- the slim's edges are more curvy and, along with the finger pads, have a matte finish which is more comfortable to the touch
- the butter placement is improved, particularly the analogue sticks - this is a major step forward
- the analogue sticks have a nice texture and finish although this may have been the case with the old vita, I can't remember
- the home, start and select buttons are easier to press
- the finger pads are larger
- apparently, longer battery life
- a less fussy design (in my opinion)
- the shoulder buttons are more secure

If price is not an objection I think the main of the decision between the old and the new Vita comes down to whether or not you value portability and ergonomic comfort (not to mention battery life) over a very rich and saturated colour display.in which case I recommend the slim or the reverse, in which case buying the old Vita still makes sense.

For my two cents, however, the slimmer, lighter and relatively more comfortable qualities of this new model justify its purchase on the basis that I mostly use handhelds when I'm not at home but out commuting or staying the night elsewhere and I like the more portable-friendly nature of this device over the bulky and imposing old model.

On the other hand if you plan to use this handheld at home a lot then why not go for the cheaper old model which has a richer colour display going for it? It might be bulkier and heavier but that's less of a problem when gaming in the comfort of one's own home.

I substract one star from a perfect score simply because I am still shocked at how painfully slow content manager is in transferring files and for someone who uses the Vita for music as well, this is really a downer. Also the camera is still pretty sucky.

As ever the investment pays off with use and there is about just enough content for this device to make a good return on the investment if, like me, the 3DS does not really appeal. Hopefully more quality games will come, slowly but surely.

Four stars it is then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Worry about the Screen, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
I'm going to start by reviewing this unit in comparison with the original Vita OLED model, and then I'll compare it to the PSP and give some additional details.

I bought this despite having an OLED model because it's thinner, lighter and has better battery life, and I thought I would give my original Vita to my brother as a birthday present, which I will be doing later this month.

So let's start off with the controversial screen issue. I'm not sure why so many people seem so bothered by this, but for me, it's not a big deal. Manufacturers of top smartphones use both OLED as well as IPS LCD screens, as there are advantages and disadvantages to both - it isn't at all generally accepted in the phone industry that an OLED is superior by default. It is true that black colours on the new screen aren't as deep as on the OLED which basically has perfect contrast, but they are still very deep - this is actually possible with an LCD!

Like other people have mentioned, I do also find the new screen a little sharper. When you get battle close-ups in Final Fantasy VII, the image is now so crisp it almost looks on a par with the PC version. Maybe the screen issue is partly subjective and other people notice a bigger difference in terms of the colours, but don't think you're buying a downgrade if you get this, because you're not.

And there are some areas where the new model is definitely an upgrade. It feels better in hands being lighter and slimmer, the rear touch panel is smaller so you're less likely to hit it accidentally in games where it's actually used, and I've also already noticed the improved battery life.

4mm slimmer is quite a big difference when you're talking about 18.75mm down to 14.75mm. It's just proportions. I also prefer the new matte black finishing around the outsides compared to the glossy metallic plastic the original had, although again, this may be subjective.

Right, so for people who don't own a Vita but do/did have a PSP, let's see how the Vita stacks up to the PSP.

For a start, it's a little bigger, mostly due to the slightly larger screen. Secondly, there are now two analogue sticks instead of one - invaluable for first person shooters or whatever else developers want to do with them. The screen is now a capacitive touch screen, and the rear of the console is also touch-sensitive.

The console is massively more powerful than the PSP, with graphics rivalling the Playstation 3. It also helps that screen resolution has seen a big bump.

This new model also connects to a power supply or PC/PS3/PS4 using a standard micro USB cable, which is handy as these are now widely available and are standard on basically all phones except iPhones.

So let's move onto software. The interface is clean and very user-friendly. There are some apps available to download, like Skype, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. There is also a somewhat hidden away section in the PS Store where a library of apps similar to on smartphones/tablets is building up. The web browser is much improved over the PSP's and is now quite usable.

The most important thing software-wise is games. And here, the Vita actually isn't doing badly. There are exclusive Wipeout, Uncharted, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, LittleBigPlanet and Killzone titles, and a good number of ports. Throw in the fact that you can download PSP and PS One titles, and you actually have a pretty good catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this console the screen is great you have to ..., 14 July 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
I love this console the screen is great you have to be really picky to point out the difference in screen clarity the games are every bit as good as the vitas big brothers it's fab to use it as a second screen for your playstation 4 if somebody wants the television for something else so please buy this now !

5.0 out of 5 stars PS Vita vs PS Vita Slim - the new Slim Shady?, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
As an owner of the original Vita I have found that the new Slim is a worthy successor.

Ergonomics - The Slim is remarkably thinner and lighter than the older model and is much easier to hold for extended gaming sessions. The lack of the thick silver rim around the edge of the Slim makes it feel much more comfortable and the new smaller touch pad doesn't get in the way of my fingers like it did on the older model (I have large hands). The edges have a new matte finish as well that feels much nicer and also look nicer than the old Vita. The controls remain much the same but I wish Sony would create some kind of accessory for adding extra L2 and R2 buttons on the back for PS4 remote play. Ergonomics-wise I find the Slim is significantly better than its predecessor.

Display - The display has been topic of much debate and will probably be the most significant part of this review for most people. Personally I don't actually find it a downgrade. I usually play in the dark before I go to sleep and the old Vita's minimum brightness was straining my eyes, now the new Slim has a much lower brightness level at lowest setting but a higher brightness level at maximum. This is great for playing at night and in day time, the brightness also doesn't seem to affect the battery as much as the old Vita. In terms of colour it is obvious which display is more vivid (the old OLED) and which has the best contrast (OLED again), but the new slim's display looks more natural and I find that it puts far less strain on my eyes, both in daylight and in the dark. For some reason it also looks a tiny bit sharper than the OLED. One issue I had with my old Vita was that in the dark you can see the the glue under the display when the display goes black (mildly annoying but not game-changing) this is not present on the LCD. Viewing angles arent much of a concern on a handheld but both displays more than satisfy for most angles without much colour distortion (OLED better of the two). The OLED definitely has deeper blacks and more vivid colour but despite all this I still prefer the Slim's new LCD panel because it puts less strain on my eyes and I prefer the more natural look. I can play for far longer on the slim without my eyes feeling tired at all.

Battery Life - I have used the Slim for around a month now but can confirm that the battery life is yet another significant improvement over the old model. I used to get between 4 and 5 hours on the old model playing Soul Sacrifice and MHFU mostly. With the Slim I get around 7-8 hours playing roughly 1-2 hours stints at a time playing the same games.

Games - There are so many games available now that the lack of huge AAA titles is mostly made up for. The AAA titles that do make it onto the Vita such as Gravity Rush and Soul Sacrifice are real gems. The system could do with a current Monster Hunter title to help it sales but I'm okay with playing Freedom Unite for now. The backlog of PSOne and PSP titles also is humongous. In terms of actual Vita games there most be over a hundred or so full games and loads of Indie titles such as Spelunky and Terraria to play. You can no longer claim that there are no games on Vita. The price of the majority of Vita games are also very reasonable, usually around 10-30 for big games. Upcoming games such as Freedom Wars and God Eater 2 also look very promising. Remote play is also worth mentioning for any PS4 owners (just please use direct connection as opposed to Wi-Fi - much better and disregards Wi-Fi speed).

Overall - Thanks to the much lighter and thinner design and better battery life I much prefer to use my Vita Slim over my Vita. The screen 'disadvantage' that some people have mentioned in other reviews really isn't a disadvantage in any sense. If you haven't owned an older model then you won't miss out on the OLED and the ergonomics and longer battery life of the Slim make it a more worthwhile purchase. Even if you do own a previous model the display may take a while to get used to but it isn't bad by any means and again the advantages of the new design fully outweigh this slight issue (not an issue for me) that I believe most reviewers have exaggerated.

Bottom Line - If you are looking to buy a Vita then definitely get the Slim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handheld gaming at its finest, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
Had it for a month so far and loving it so far. Having PS Plus is awesome too as I had AAA games like Uncharted Golden Abyss & Guacamelee ready to play as soon as I got it. Screen is amazing quality and the user interface is slick as is the actual design of the console. It's very light and fits perfectly in my hands. The only thing is that there seems to be a lack of games being brought out on the console but as there are a ton of games I have yet to play it isn't a problem for me at this moment in time. Overall, I highly recommend this to any gamer looking for a handheld device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement, 27 Jun 2014
Adam "Adam" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
Great improvement over the original Vita, whilst not much has really changed the trigger buttons and PS / Start / Select buttons seem to be better placed and easier to trigger, the weight of the device is much lighter and the battery life seems to be massively improved. My Vita sits on my desk at work and I play it whenever I'm waiting around (or on a call ...), with the original Vita I had to charge it towards the afternoon and then usually charge it again in the evening whilst I sleep, the new one however has let me play all day.

The screen seems to be what most people judge the Slim on, but after opening the same games and sitting the original and the slim Vita side by side, the colour on the original Vita looks over saturated in some games (Borderlands 2, Tearaway) and the graphics don't appear to be quite as crisp as they do on the slim. However LittleBigPlanet seems to suit the original Vita better and on the Slim the colours do seem a bit washed out in-comparison. The reduced colour or change in screen type in the slim, does seem to make the Vita more pleasing on the eyes when your spending a while on it.

The back touch panel on the slim is also smaller and seems more accurate to the touch than the original, especially in Tearaway. The reduced size also prevents me accidentally hitting it, which was always a pain for me in the original.

The 1GB built-in memory is useless, as the space seems to disappear when you insert a memory card. Would of been nice to be able to use that for some apps like YouTube or Skype, whilst keeping games on the memory card.

The other bad point is that the Vita Slim seems to introduce a new "feature" where AVLS (limits maximum volume) cannot be disabled permanently and turns itself back on after a period of time, meaning you have to go into the settings to disable it again. The AVLS setting also affects the volume of the device itself as well as when headphones are connected.

Overall though if your after a Vita, this is the one to get. Along with the 64GB memory card, it makes for an awesome portable console.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Fatboy Slimming Here - Let's Just Talk Vita Slim, 28 May 2014
Becca (Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
I hadn't owned a Playstation Vita before, and when researching the best model to get (as well as best games, etc.) most of the articles, videos and reviews I found were just comparisons with the first generation OLED Vita - with very few reviews focusing on the Slim as a standalone unit. Eventually I decided on the Slim due to the benefit of the better battery life, which is one of my chief concerns with any portable electronics unit. Whilst the Slim does not offer a lot more or less than the first generation Vita, the review below will be of the Playstation Vita Slim as its own device with most comparisons being made between the Vita and Nintendo's 3DS (mainly because the 3DS is the Vita's main competition in the handheld market if you discount mobile gaming).

THE CONSOLE = 9/10
The unit is lightweight but by no means flimsy. It's certainly a bit lighter than my tank of a 3DS XL, with the weight nicely balanced between both sides of the console, but appears far better made with its shiny black exterior and huge screen. The back grips are the perfect size for holding on to the console without accidentally triggering the back touchpad (which I have yet to utilise for gaming, but more on that later) and the console itself is thick enough to hold without your fingers becoming cramped or tired. A few other reviews have talked about 'squeaky' sounds when pressing buttons or triggers, but fortunately my unit is quite silent on the matter. The buttons themselves are a good size, and the top triggers are reachable during gaming (this is one of my small gripes with the 3DS XL - I have shorter fingers!). The twin joypads nubs are a pleasure to use on games like Super Stardust, very responsive and rubbery without being sticky, whilst the directional pad is clicky but without being annoying. The Start and Select buttons are...well...buttons, as is the homescreen button. Nothing shocking there. Having the volume control on top of the console was initially annoying but now I am used to it it's actually quite nice. I do wish the power indicator light was on the front of the console somewhere, or even behind the home button because as the battery is running down I do keep checking the top of the console, but on the other hand you can just tap the home button to take a quick gander at the battery meter.

The touchscreen is responsive and a pleasure to use for navigating the homescreen, shop and settings, but like the back touchpad I've not used it in gaming yet. If used minimally I imagine it should cause no problems, but I'm not certain I'd like to play a wholly touch-dependent game on the Vita.

The Vita boots up quickly from sleep mode and I've yet to experience any performance issues, although a couple of games do take a while to load (through all the manufacturer's logos and health & safety guides).

The console comes with 1GB memory built in for game saves, but if you are going to be downloading any amount of digital editions of Vita, PSOne, PSP or Mini games, you will need to buy a separate 16GB memory card which is about 25. This is the only let down of the console and the reason I have dinged a mark off this category: essential peripherals should be in the box.

Speaking of downloading, the Wi-Fi is quick but I do lose signal quite quickly when upstairs away from the internet router - download speed does not seem to be affected, however.

TL;DR It's a comfortable unit to hold for an extended period of time and everything works as it should.

PERFORMANCE = 9/10
First of all, the elephant in the room - the screen. The first generation of Vita consoles were made with an Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) screen, which many Vita fans see as being superior to the Slim's standard LCD screen. I haven't seen the OLED screen, and to be perfectly honest, I don't particularly care if it is clearer or more colourful. That's because the Slim's screen is absolutely gorgeous. If comparison reviews are to be believed, the LCD screen is a horrid, faded, slightly green affair - and this is simply not the case. Colours pop, the graphics are sharp, and the brightness meter at about halfway suits me just fine in a well-lit or dimly-lit room.

The trade off of having an LCD screen instead of an OLED is the battery life, and the Slim also performs well here. On the first day I had it, I charged it up fully and then set about testing its limits. I downloaded seven games (three PSOne titles, one PSP title and several Vita demos) and then spent what was almost a solid six hours gaming with the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on and the brightness up almost to the max before the battery needed charging again. On the second day, with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off, and the brightness at about halfway, I got about eight hours on-and-off. Reviews around the internet all give different time limits so I think it's down to individual gaming habits, but I personally am pleased that I can get a good gaming run out of such a powerful console.

The speakers are also very impressive, belting out sound without making it too tinny. The music in Rainbow Moon and Lumines in particular both sound lovely.

TL;DR The screen looks beautiful and the battery life is better than expected.

THE GAMES = 7/10
If you like to have an absolutely massive games library of current generation titles, the Vita might not be for you. I missed my old PSP (sold when I was last made redundant, ho hum) and never owned a PSOne (but always wanted to) so the ability to download games from both consoles at reasonable prices is great. PSOne titles can be fitted to the Vita screen in their native aspect ratio or stretched to utilise the entire screen, and PSP games still look great on the slightly larger screen. However, the Vita itself only sees a release of a 'mainstream' title every three months or so if you're lucky, and the back catalogue isn't that massive. There are some brilliant titles on there, though.

I am a huge fan of Role Playing Games, little time-wasting puzzle games and the occasional beat 'em up, and I think here is where the Vita benefits my style of gaming. It has a large library of RPGs, from the critically acclaimed Persona 4 (not had a chance to play it yet!) to smaller titles like Rainbow Moon. I have to be frank and say I have mostly been playing Final Fantasy VIII (a PSOne title), Space Invaders Extreme (a PSP title) and Rainbow Moon (a Vita download only title), but all three play absolutely perfectly and look great. The graphics on Rainbow Moon are truly gorgeous, and I had a quick play on Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and was really impressed with how smoothly characters moved and how detailed everything was. As said above with comments on the screen, the Vita's graphical abilities are amazing and really do look great on the LCD.

Vita titles are released both on physical cartridges and as digital downloads on the inbuilt store. The downloads do tend to be more expensive (34 for a game that is 20 on cartridge, for example) and really most cases for the Vita include cartridge slots so there's no real advantage to buying them digitally unless they are cheaper. Even the cases the games come in are tiny and could easily fit in a backpack or overnight bag if you're on the go.

TL:DR Games look and play great, but have a look at the library available if you're into different genres.

MISCELLANEOUS = Ehhhhhhhh/10.
The Vita also has a few 'apps', smartphone style, but I don't really see a use for them. I had a quick go on the Youtube app and it plays the videos well, whilst the Facebook app is a horrendous mess. Personally I prefer to use both on my smartphone so they're not for me, but it's nice for others to have the option. For parents wondering, yes, there are parental controls that can restrict access. There is also a serviceable web browser which can be launched whilst playing a game if you get stuck and need to check something, although I mainly use it for downloading wallpapers.

The Vita has cameras...I...really don't care. Apparently they can be used in Augmented Reality games such as Tearaway but I'm not a fan of that sort of thing. It's nice, I guess, but they don't really add anything to the console.

The homescreen can be customised with background wallpapers, and you can also arrange icons into folders on a grid. You can also create new screens to swipe to if you run out of room, which is nice as I've shoved all of the boring bumph onto one of these so it doesn't clog up my homescreen any more. ;-) It's nothing major but it is nice to have a customisable experience.

CONCLUSION
The Vita Slim is a great little thing and has rapidly become my favourite handheld. It's comfortable to hold for extended periods of time, with excellent graphics and sound quality, and a solid library of RPG, PSOne and PSP titles. The LCD screen is, in short, fantastic. The touchscreen interface is good to use in menus but note again that I haven't used it in gameplay - yet. Ditto for the back touchscreen.

If you are considering buying a Vita and are using reviews to help you out, I would urge that the only main considerations that need to be made are whether you prefer battery life to gaming aesthetic (Vita Slim with an LCD or Vita with an OLED) and which games are available on the console. In every other respect the Vita excels, and would make a fine addition to a gaming enthusiast's library. (Just remember to buy a memory card with it!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony missed the mark with this "upgrade", 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
The downgrade of the screen from OLED to a cheaper LCD is significant. The OLED screen in the original Vita was an absolute gem. Colours were much more vibrant. The cost of the new slim at 180 is rediculous when I managed to get the 10 game mega pack, the original Vita with the OLED screen from John Lewis with a 16GB card for the same price. You don't get a single game or a memory card with the slim. The slim needs to reduce in price to 150 at least to be considered to be reasonable.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›