4.0 out of 5 stars On par with the original PS Vita.
Published 4 months ago by Groats

2.0 out of 5 stars get the old vita much much better
just get the other vita its pretty much better in every way except for the mini USB functionality
Published 6 days ago by Greg Webster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars On par with the original PS Vita., 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
Ok the LCD screen is not as good as the original PS Vita. However, the colour on the PS slim is more natural and not over saturated like the original PS vita. Also, having seen both Vitas the Slim is brighter and slightly sharper. The Slim has the advantage that it is lighter and more comfortable to hold for longer hours of gaming. The shoulder buttons are much better on the Slim and are not so loose and clunky as the old Vita. The advantage of the Slim having a gigabyte of internal memory isn't great and you will still have to buy a decent size memory card for game updates and downloads from PS store. One of the great plus points of the Slim is that you will not have to keep charging so much as the battery is really good and lasts approximately 5 hours compared to the old Vita which was about 3 hours, before it needed a charge. Another advantage of the Slim is that it has a micro usb input meaning you can plug it into a usb port on the PS4 to charge. Remote play is the same on old and new Vita. I wouldn't personally buy the new Slim if you already have the old Vita but if you don't have a Vita at the moment buy the Slim. It is not worth the upgrade if you have the old Vita. New purchasers should go for the Slim. If you have a PS4 then the Slim is an essential purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Worry about the Screen, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
I'm going to start by reviewing this unit in comparison with the original Vita OLED model, and then I'll compare it to the PSP and give some additional details.

I bought this despite having an OLED model because it's thinner, lighter and has better battery life, and I thought I would give my original Vita to my brother as a birthday present, which I will be doing later this month.

So let's start off with the controversial screen issue. I'm not sure why so many people seem so bothered by this, but for me, it's not a big deal. Manufacturers of top smartphones use both OLED as well as IPS LCD screens, as there are advantages and disadvantages to both - it isn't at all generally accepted in the phone industry that an OLED is superior by default. It is true that black colours on the new screen aren't as deep as on the OLED which basically has perfect contrast, but they are still very deep - this is actually possible with an LCD!

Like other people have mentioned, I do also find the new screen a little sharper. When you get battle close-ups in Final Fantasy VII, the image is now so crisp it almost looks on a par with the PC version. Maybe the screen issue is partly subjective and other people notice a bigger difference in terms of the colours, but don't think you're buying a downgrade if you get this, because you're not.

And there are some areas where the new model is definitely an upgrade. It feels better in hands being lighter and slimmer, the rear touch panel is smaller so you're less likely to hit it accidentally in games where it's actually used, and I've also already noticed the improved battery life.

4mm slimmer is quite a big difference when you're talking about 18.75mm down to 14.75mm. It's just proportions. I also prefer the new matte black finishing around the outsides compared to the glossy metallic plastic the original had, although again, this may be subjective.

Right, so for people who don't own a Vita but do/did have a PSP, let's see how the Vita stacks up to the PSP.

For a start, it's a little bigger, mostly due to the slightly larger screen. Secondly, there are now two analogue sticks instead of one - invaluable for first person shooters or whatever else developers want to do with them. The screen is now a capacitive touch screen, and the rear of the console is also touch-sensitive.

The console is massively more powerful than the PSP, with graphics rivalling the Playstation 3. It also helps that screen resolution has seen a big bump.

This new model also connects to a power supply or PC/PS3/PS4 using a standard micro USB cable, which is handy as these are now widely available and are standard on basically all phones except iPhones.

So let's move onto software. The interface is clean and very user-friendly. There are some apps available to download, like Skype, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. There is also a somewhat hidden away section in the PS Store where a library of apps similar to on smartphones/tablets is building up. The web browser is much improved over the PSP's and is now quite usable.

The most important thing software-wise is games. And here, the Vita actually isn't doing badly. There are exclusive Wipeout, Uncharted, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, LittleBigPlanet and Killzone titles, and a good number of ports. Throw in the fact that you can download PSP and PS One titles, and you actually have a pretty good catalogue.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Improvement Overall, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
As an ex old vita owner I decided to get the new slim model for gaming on the go although I am ready to admit that the price is a bit steep given the absence of a memory card (fortunately I had an old memory card left from my old Vita days). At least Vita games tend to be on the cheap side which is a plus point.

Despite the much discussed replacement of the OLED screen with the new LCD, the new Vita still boasts great display, the resolution being unchanged, and though the colours are less poppy and there is less contrast, in somes respects it makes the Vita display less tiring for the eyes - I was playing Littlebigplanet Vita last night and though at first I was shocked by what appeared to be a washed out colour palette as I gamed on I became accustomed to it. I was disappointed at first but that disappointment ended when I considered what this model has going for it as compared to the previous one:

- this unit is lighter and more portable (let's face it the original Vita is a monster)
- the slim fits more snuggly in the hands
- the slim's edges are more curvy and, along with the finger pads, have a matte finish which is more comfortable to the touch
- the butter placement is improved, particularly the analogue sticks - this is a major step forward
- the analogue sticks have a nice texture and finish although this may have been the case with the old vita, I can't remember
- the home, start and select buttons are easier to press
- the finger pads are larger
- apparently, longer battery life
- a less fussy design (in my opinion)
- the shoulder buttons are more secure

If price is not an objection I think the main of the decision between the old and the new Vita comes down to whether or not you value portability and ergonomic comfort (not to mention battery life) over a very rich and saturated colour display.in which case I recommend the slim or the reverse, in which case buying the old Vita still makes sense.

For my two cents, however, the slimmer, lighter and relatively more comfortable qualities of this new model justify its purchase on the basis that I mostly use handhelds when I'm not at home but out commuting or staying the night elsewhere and I like the more portable-friendly nature of this device over the bulky and imposing old model.

On the other hand if you plan to use this handheld at home a lot then why not go for the cheaper old model which has a richer colour display going for it? It might be bulkier and heavier but that's less of a problem when gaming in the comfort of one's own home.

I substract one star from a perfect score simply because I am still shocked at how painfully slow content manager is in transferring files and for someone who uses the Vita for music as well, this is really a downer. Also the camera is still pretty sucky.

As ever the investment pays off with use and there is about just enough content for this device to make a good return on the investment if, like me, the 3DS does not really appeal. Hopefully more quality games will come, slowly but surely.

Four stars it is then.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS Vita vs PS Vita Slim - the new Slim Shady?, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
As an owner of the original Vita I have found that the new Slim is a worthy successor.

Ergonomics - The Slim is remarkably thinner and lighter than the older model and is much easier to hold for extended gaming sessions. The lack of the thick silver rim around the edge of the Slim makes it feel much more comfortable and the new smaller touch pad doesn't get in the way of my fingers like it did on the older model (I have large hands). The edges have a new matte finish as well that feels much nicer and also look nicer than the old Vita. The controls remain much the same but I wish Sony would create some kind of accessory for adding extra L2 and R2 buttons on the back for PS4 remote play. Ergonomics-wise I find the Slim is significantly better than its predecessor.

Display - The display has been topic of much debate and will probably be the most significant part of this review for most people. Personally I don't actually find it a downgrade. I usually play in the dark before I go to sleep and the old Vita's minimum brightness was straining my eyes, now the new Slim has a much lower brightness level at lowest setting but a higher brightness level at maximum. This is great for playing at night and in day time, the brightness also doesn't seem to affect the battery as much as the old Vita. In terms of colour it is obvious which display is more vivid (the old OLED) and which has the best contrast (OLED again), but the new slim's display looks more natural and I find that it puts far less strain on my eyes, both in daylight and in the dark. For some reason it also looks a tiny bit sharper than the OLED. One issue I had with my old Vita was that in the dark you can see the the glue under the display when the display goes black (mildly annoying but not game-changing) this is not present on the LCD. Viewing angles arent much of a concern on a handheld but both displays more than satisfy for most angles without much colour distortion (OLED better of the two). The OLED definitely has deeper blacks and more vivid colour but despite all this I still prefer the Slim's new LCD panel because it puts less strain on my eyes and I prefer the more natural look. I can play for far longer on the slim without my eyes feeling tired at all.

Battery Life - I have used the Slim for around a month now but can confirm that the battery life is yet another significant improvement over the old model. I used to get between 4 and 5 hours on the old model playing Soul Sacrifice and MHFU mostly. With the Slim I get around 7-8 hours playing roughly 1-2 hours stints at a time playing the same games.

Games - There are so many games available now that the lack of huge AAA titles is mostly made up for. The AAA titles that do make it onto the Vita such as Gravity Rush and Soul Sacrifice are real gems. The system could do with a current Monster Hunter title to help it sales but I'm okay with playing Freedom Unite for now. The backlog of PSOne and PSP titles also is humongous. In terms of actual Vita games there most be over a hundred or so full games and loads of Indie titles such as Spelunky and Terraria to play. You can no longer claim that there are no games on Vita. The price of the majority of Vita games are also very reasonable, usually around 10-30 for big games. Upcoming games such as Freedom Wars and God Eater 2 also look very promising. Remote play is also worth mentioning for any PS4 owners (just please use direct connection as opposed to Wi-Fi - much better and disregards Wi-Fi speed).

Overall - Thanks to the much lighter and thinner design and better battery life I much prefer to use my Vita Slim over my Vita. The screen 'disadvantage' that some people have mentioned in other reviews really isn't a disadvantage in any sense. If you haven't owned an older model then you won't miss out on the OLED and the ergonomics and longer battery life of the Slim make it a more worthwhile purchase. Even if you do own a previous model the display may take a while to get used to but it isn't bad by any means and again the advantages of the new design fully outweigh this slight issue (not an issue for me) that I believe most reviewers have exaggerated.

Bottom Line - If you are looking to buy a Vita then definitely get the Slim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Device!, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
First I was a bit worried about buying the new Vita, because everyone said, the display would be bad in comparison to the 'old' vita.
But I must say the screen is beautiful! I absolutely love it. If you're not upgrading from the previous version of the vita, you will do so too.
I am really happy with my little Playstation, it's a great device. It really is.
If you're not sure, what to buy. Get the new Vita. If you don't like it, return it. But you'll probably keep it, because it is so nice.
So go on, buy it allready ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars get the old vita much much better, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this console the screen is great you have to ..., 14 July 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
I love this console the screen is great you have to be really picky to point out the difference in screen clarity the games are every bit as good as the vitas big brothers it's fab to use it as a second screen for your playstation 4 if somebody wants the television for something else so please buy this now !

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
Don (Manipal, India) - See all my reviews
Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Handheld gaming at its finest, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
Had it for a month so far and loving it so far. Having PS Plus is awesome too as I had AAA games like Uncharted Golden Abyss & Guacamelee ready to play as soon as I got it. Screen is amazing quality and the user interface is slick as is the actual design of the console. It's very light and fits perfectly in my hands. The only thing is that there seems to be a lack of games being brought out on the console but as there are a ton of games I have yet to play it isn't a problem for me at this moment in time. Overall, I highly recommend this to any gamer looking for a handheld device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement, 27 Jun 2014
Adam "Adam" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita [New Slim 2014 version] (Console)
Great improvement over the original Vita, whilst not much has really changed the trigger buttons and PS / Start / Select buttons seem to be better placed and easier to trigger, the weight of the device is much lighter and the battery life seems to be massively improved. My Vita sits on my desk at work and I play it whenever I'm waiting around (or on a call ...), with the original Vita I had to charge it towards the afternoon and then usually charge it again in the evening whilst I sleep, the new one however has let me play all day.

The screen seems to be what most people judge the Slim on, but after opening the same games and sitting the original and the slim Vita side by side, the colour on the original Vita looks over saturated in some games (Borderlands 2, Tearaway) and the graphics don't appear to be quite as crisp as they do on the slim. However LittleBigPlanet seems to suit the original Vita better and on the Slim the colours do seem a bit washed out in-comparison. The reduced colour or change in screen type in the slim, does seem to make the Vita more pleasing on the eyes when your spending a while on it.

The back touch panel on the slim is also smaller and seems more accurate to the touch than the original, especially in Tearaway. The reduced size also prevents me accidentally hitting it, which was always a pain for me in the original.

The 1GB built-in memory is useless, as the space seems to disappear when you insert a memory card. Would of been nice to be able to use that for some apps like YouTube or Skype, whilst keeping games on the memory card.

The other bad point is that the Vita Slim seems to introduce a new "feature" where AVLS (limits maximum volume) cannot be disabled permanently and turns itself back on after a period of time, meaning you have to go into the settings to disable it again. The AVLS setting also affects the volume of the device itself as well as when headphones are connected.

Overall though if your after a Vita, this is the one to get. Along with the 64GB memory card, it makes for an awesome portable console.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›