TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 April 2014
Douglas Brodie's back in what's billed as his final outing. Mourners pay their final respects at his grave. Gordon Ferris has woven together a tantalising, fast paced and edgy tale which sees Brodie's world turned upside down and fall apart. Having reached a relatively settled and secure point in his life, with a good job on the local paper, a future with his lawyer girlfriend, the tables are turned on our redoubtable hero. He finds himself arrested for a crime he didn't commit. Or did he? Arrested for murder with a watertight case against him, we go on a roller coaster ride as one by one the odds stack up against him. From his prison cell, we experience his anger, frustration and confusion as he realizes the only possible outcome. It's 1947 and the penalty for murder is death by hanging.

I was totally swept along by this story. Brodie is such a likeable protagonist. He's not perfect, but he's certainly a good man. I was transported to a post war Glasgow, bleak in parts and struggling to regenerate. Gordon Ferris creates a very strong and visual sense of location which adds to the sense of reality. I was back and forth across the Clyde with Brodie and sitting in the Court as pleas are made for his bail! And the dialogue! It's spot on with sufficient use of dialect to make the reader feel they're listening to real people speaking. There's dark humour too and for my money, Mr Ferris is in a class of his own. This book can be read as a stand alone, but over the four books in the series, he has developed as a character and it's been a rewarding journey with him. I preordered this in February and it's been worth the wait; devoured in two late night sittings. Brilliant, loved it!
on 25 April 2014
I lived in Glasgow at the time he describes, but as a relative child knew nothing of the terrors apparently lurking round most corners.
I hate violence yet find the activities of our hero totally justified, and the downfall of crooked cops and their like their just rewards.
Gordon paints in 3-dimensions, and creates a character who one would love to meet in the flesh (but avoid upsetting!)
A splendid read (like all the others)
Thank you!
on 17 August 2014
Gallowglass is exactly what you come to expect from Gordon Ferris. Story within story, plot within plot. It is easier to understand if you have read the earlier books in the series. I sincerely hope that this is not the end of Brodie. Gordon is so good in taking you back into a period of time that is not that long ago and yet it seems so alien! And yet most of the political issues are of today and still so very relevant.
on 6 May 2014
This was a cracking good thriller from Gordon Ferris. It was one of those books that you Don't want to finish.
The author writes in a nostalgic style that constantly reminds you of the era it was written in.
You can almost smell the stink of the Glasgow backcourts and middens. You can taste the flavour of the Glenmorangie.
I think Gordon Ferris is in the same league as Gerald,Seymour. He holds your attention throughout the storyline.
At the end I had a lump in my throat when Sangster and Muncie were brought to task for all their black deeds from earlier books.
I would recommend this to anyone who likes a good thriller. This was an excellent book and I hope we are in for more from Brodie in the near future and going back to the immediate post war era.
on 28 July 2014
Gallowglass is the ultimate in this series. Brodie and the other fascinating characters in the earlier books all become whole, very real, and very believable, in this book. Mr. Ferris brings the series to a very satisfactory conclusion (if this is the conclusion and we don't follow him into the 'Polis' which I would very much like to see happen). I lived in the very ugly and very scary Gorbals district of Glasgow at the time after the second World War in which this series is set and I can see it and feel it - and taste the coal smoke in the air! I have read all of the Brodie books and a few of the McCrae books plus his latest and very different book 'The Money Tree'. I wait to see what he produces next because I WILL buy it and I WILL read it.
on 31 January 2015
Gordon Ferris has a writing style that brings the story alive as you read. Hearing the Scots language takes me back to my youth. He has a wonderful gift for the storytelling with a storyline as relevant to day as it was in the 40's. The main character shows what a difficult time our men had coming back from the experinces and sights of war and trying to fit in to a "normal" life again. How can they use the skills they've learned? Brodie manages to come to terms with it but it is not easy on him or his relationships.

With so many self publishing lowering the quality of writing Ferris reminds you of what a good book should be. I will be pre-ordering the next in the series.
on 10 August 2014
I love his knowledge of Glasgow and how he uses it to drive the book. I find that from his depiction of people I build a mental picture of them. Love the pace of the book and how he ties up all the ends. Will Brodie return after his marriage and from he hint at the end his fatherhood? I hope so.
on 19 June 2014
Douglas Brodie is back! I love all of Gordon Ferris's books and the Brodie series especially. The story is compelling with many twists and turns and the descriptions of post war Glasgow superb. Unputdownable.
on 3 July 2014
This is a review for the four Douglas Brodie novels that together comprise the Glasgow Quartet. The scene for all four novels is Glasgow immediately after the Second World War, a time of hope, austerity and lots of opportunity to grease palms in an orgy of post war reconstruction. Not to mention a few hiding war criminals as well. Brodie is a former police officer and battlefield commissioned officer who is pursued by personal demons largely caused by his experiences in Belsen concentration camp in the aftermath of liberation.

The characterisation, plotting and narrative in each novel is masterful. These are not just thrillers but great novels in their own right. They reek of Glasgow and its people and are infused with a hard-yes love for both. There plots move at real pace but also take the time to build an atmosphere. And Brodie himself is a joy as are his friends and enemies. If you like the Berkin Noir trilogy with Philip Kerr's wonderful Bernie Gunther, you will love These books. Highly recommended.
on 20 February 2015
This was an excellent cleverly constructed read. It does help if you have read the earlier books in the series as it puts some of the key characters in context. Looking forward to reading the next book