5.0 out of 5 stars A book of dreams and delights.
I hope you have already experienced this book yourself, but if you haven't I can only begin to tell you how wonderful it is, the rest you will have to discover for yourself.

I grew up reading it, loving the fact that year after year I could watch Anne growing up, just like I was. I always wanted to be just like her and, to tell the truth, I still do! She is the...
Published on 14 Jun 2007 by Eva E.

3.0 out of 5 stars Anne of green gables
Good book if you are are looking for a good classic ,you can trust it will be a good book for you
Published 6 months ago by Spstephenson

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 12 May 2008
Humpty Dumpty (Wall St, Upton Snodsbury) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (Paperback)
Yes, I agree with just about everyone else reviewing this. A very special book, even a great book in a very special series - funny, warm, sad, it has everything and is as fresh as the day it was written.

My daughter just loved this to bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book of all time, 14 Sep 2003
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (Paperback)
This is a book which no girl over the age of 15 should be able to say "I haven't read that." It is one of the best books ever written.
A beautifully written story of the pitiful little orphan called Anne. Ever hopeful and optimistic Anne is taken in by the Cuthberts, after almost being rejected for not being a boy. The story follows Anne growing up, making lots of mistakes but learning all the time. We read about her cringeworthy and laughable adventures, where she rages at he formidable Mrs Rachel Lynde, breaks a slate over her arch enemy's head; gets her busom friend drunk; saves a babys life and dyes her hair green!!
It is totally impossible not to fall in love with the affectionate Anne, to experience and rejoice in her joys with her. Feel her sorrow when she's in the "depths of dispair", then imagine those sorrows away. Sorrows like having red hair, not having dimples in her elbows and not having puffed sleeves!
This is the first book which ever made me cry. But cry I did along with Anne, at the death of a kindred spirit and a wonderful character, but I wont give it away who, although most of you will already know.
I recommend this to any girl of any age, and quite a few of the boys too! It will soon have a much beloved place on your book shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Anne!, 7 Aug 2004
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (Paperback)
It is rare that one book makes me smile on the Tube many times, and gives me lumps in my throat many times. Anne of Green Gables is such book. I have just finished reading this book and feel positive about my life already.
The story is so wonderfully written, you will want to go back in time and visit Avonlea some 100 years ago - what does the Lake of Shining Waters look like? What does Prince Edward Island look like now??
Through the eyes of an orphan girl Anne, you will soon discover what wonderful things you have been missing - you will start to really appreciate the world around you, even when you may feel a little low, even when you feel the world's not fair, you just had to open your eyes a little wider.
The pure spirit that Anne shows throughout the book makes you love this red-haired girl dearly, and you will want to carry on reading the rest of the series. And the shy, motherly and fatherly love of Marilla and Matthew to Anne is so beautifully delivered throughout the book. Read it for yourself now, or give it to your children of any age....

5.0 out of 5 stars re-discover this superb classic, 2 Feb 2010
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (Paperback)
How I wish I'd discovered Anne years ago! You may think this is just for children, but I enjoy it just as much as my daughter(10). If you become as gripped as we were, we heartely recommend the rest of the set - 10 books in all. They take you right through her life and the lives of her children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and amusing, 29 Oct 2002
I love the Anne Shirley books starting with Anne of Green Gables and finishing with Anne of Ingleside, and this book, Anne of Green Gables, just starts off the story. The escapades that Anne has are so funny and just make me chuckle under my breath every time I pick up this book. It is definitely a book that I like to read over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a children's story, 10 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This book is the start of the best serie of books I have ever read. From the first page I'm hooked, you dont have to read a whole chapter to get into the book properly. It is so easy to get to know the characters, especially Anne and you really feel for her in the beginning when she arrives at Green Gables and finds out that they had asked for a boy. Of course the Cuthberts decide to keep Anne anyway, even though she talks too much. All in all, I love the book, it makes me smile, some of the things Anne comes up with and the trouble she gets into has had me in stitches every time I have read the book. I would recommend anyone, young or old, to read this and also the rest of the books in the serie as they are all wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars If only all books were this good!, 19 Aug 2005
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (Paperback)
I read this book three years ago now, but I could still read it over and over again, because every sentence is so original, the characters are so fresh. I read this book when I was ten, and although I found the first paragraph hard to get into, I was soon drawn in to the imaginary world of Anne Shirley's mind. Anne Shirley is an elleven year old orphan, with vivid red hair, a pale complexion and a tall thin figure. She is unwillingly adopted into the home and heartsof Green Gables and its occupants, Marrila Cuthbert and her shy brother, Matthew Cuthbert. They had originally intened to adopt a boy, for help on their farm, but what they receive comes as, for many, a pleasant surpirse. Anne Shirley instantly wins the hearts of Matthew, and her 'bosom friend' Diana, with her captivating tales and her imaginative names for objects and places, such as 'The Lake of Sining Waters' and 'Bonny' the plant. Anne is a child with a colourful, broad mind, who finds it hard not to imagine something plain as something extraordinary. For Anne, any time not spent dreaming, or colourfully describing her life or her imagianings is dull. And it is in fact dull for anyone in her company, when Anne is not happily talking. Anne is a caring, thoughtful, but odd child, who never fails to be passionate about whatever it is she is doing. Marilla Cuthbert, a stern, serious woman is less taken to Anne at first. She finds her chatter weary and if anything, irritating. But soon enough, Anne wins her affection by completing her chores to, most of the time, utter perfection, and humourous talk. Marilla soon finds the house would seem quite empty without her. Anne is widely accepted into the school, but with petty arguments between her and a certain Gilbert Blythe, and Josie Pye. The pure, fresh story of Anne will steal your heart forever, and it is unlikely that any story will be quite as memorable as this. This will stay readable for years to come, and will always stay a firm number 1 childrens classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne of Green Gables, 25 Aug 2013
The nine-year-old was absolutely delighted with this - so was her Mum!
Would recommed for any little girl who likes a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transcends its genre, 4 April 2013
Eolake "eolake (.com)" (Lancashire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (Paperback)
It's a mistake to think that the Anne Shirley books are just for young girls, or even "for children and women". LM Montgomery's books *far* transcends their genre. Sure, they are sweet and romantic, but they have much more than that. Montgomery was a divinely blessed writer, in my opinion. Her characters are fabulous, always memorable but never caricatured. The stories are gripping.

Her writing is deceptively simple, meaning more complex than they seem. She writes to her audience without writing down to them. And I have no doubt whatsoever that she, had she wanted, could have written as complex and "literary" books as *any* writer. Her intelligence and education is never put in the foreground, but if you care, you can sense it in the background, a looming big machine which drives everything under these "innocent little" stories.

And the same is true of her humor. She never writes comedy as such, and yet the humor is everywhere, and the books (all of them) are often wonderfully funny.

I am male, and fifty, and like Mark Twain did, I warmly recommend these books. (The same goes for her Emily series, though they are a notch darker than the Anne books.)

5.0 out of 5 stars All 8-14yr olds MUST read it!, 22 Nov 2012
Unlike most children's stories, this one has ''real life'' situations. Poor Anne, after her parents both die she moves from one home to another and eventually ends up in an orphanage, the place she dreaded the most! Despite all of that, she remains so humble and polite always dealing with one situation at a time. Like most stories, it's good to see that there is a very happy ending for her too on her beloved island of Prince Edward!

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

Anne of Green Gables (Illustrated)
Anne of Green Gables (Illustrated) by Lucy Maud Montgomery