Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 March 2014
I bought this CD a few days before seeing them live at the start of the Paradise Filter tour. That proved to be a good move as the show features several songs from the album.

The lineup includes Mark Walker on drums who has taken over the stool from the late and very great Richard Coughland. To his credit he does a great job as do all the band. The loss of Doug Boyle's guitar actually allows the band to return to a more traditional Caravan sound. While 'The Unaurtorised Breakfast Item' was certainly a very compitant album I felt it lacked something. That 'something' has been re-discovered.

Pye Hastings song writing has remain wornderful throughout the last 45 years and the new songs on the CD don't disappoint. His voice is still as mellow as it alway's been but it's one I don't think I'll ever tire of listening to. He writes and sings all bar one of the songs on the CD. The exception being the title track. This was written by Geoff Richardson and Jan Schelhaas in '"the Caravan style". This one would drop straight into 'Girls who grow plump..' very easily.
'Fingers in the till' tells a story of corruption and frustration and has a increadibly catchy chorus. There is some sentimentallity evident in some other songs, something which Pye has always done well. This is particually evident in 'Farewell my old friend' which, after the loss of Richard Coughland and paired with 'For Richard' in the live set, takes on a whole new meaning. I have to say that having suffered a loss of my own recently I find it an uncomfortable but satisfying listen.
All in all Caravan are back on form with a sound that I'm sure will swell their legions of fans over the coming years and earn them the wider recognition they deseve.
on 21 April 2014
There must be something in the waters of Canterbury, as two of the best rock groups from the 60s and 70s continue to put out outstanding work decades later. CARAVAN and CAMEL are legends that continue to amaze.

This outing ranks right up there with several other great CARAVAN albums. It reminds me a bit of their album Blind Dog at St. Dunstans.

I'm so glad to have this music in my collection. It shines brightly!
on 7 June 2014
Caravan fans will not be disappointed with Paradise Lost. It's the first in ages and while there are no long typical 'For Richard' type tracks there is a lot here to like. The album starts off with a real rocker All this could be yours and every track has a hook and if you think they are just ok at first they all really grow. There is a Pink Floydish track called This is What we Are, which includes all the fans who paid for a share in this album to finance it. Great idea and they pull it off. Things settle on the album with a slow touching number Farewell Old Friend , although it looks like a homage to Richard Coughlan according to Pye Hastings it's also a song about the many funerals he has attended over the past few years living in Scotland. I love Trust Me I'm Doctor and I'll Be There For You which is an absolute classic. Strangely to me the title track seems a bit at odds with the rest of the album which it is because it's written by Geoffrey Richardson and JAN Schellas still a good song though but different, and of course the name of the album. Great to see the band back and in such good form -highly recommended.
on 26 February 2014
This is an interesting follow up to Unauthorised Breakfast Item originally underwritten through the Pledge Music organisation. Of course things have changed with the line up from the previous album; firstly with the sad passing of the irreplaceable Richard Coughlan, drummer extraordinaire, but secondly, the departure of the equally irreplaceable Doug Boyle. For me the concern was that the end of an era might bring about the demise of the band I have followed for close on 45 years. But I should not have worried - there have been previous successful metamorphoses and this one is no different.
A band which adapts and refreshes retains its loyal following - here we have something for everyone. We have two great rock n' roll opening tracks, a bit of jazz, some sentimentality and even some MOTR - the inevitable Caravan humour but no longer songs. This is a well produced album which does take a little while to grow. But it is up there with their better albums not least because it has, to some extent, chosen to move on. Don't worry people there's no rap or electronic swing here but it's a great listen in the car.
on 6 April 2015
This album manages to capture the essence of Caravan yet brings their sound right up to date. Not an entirely consistent album there are nonetheless some exceptional tracks - the title track with it's superb "Girls who Grow Plump-esque keyboard solo, "Pain in the Arse" and "Trust Me I'm a Doctor" are the outstanding tracks. As always there are one or two inconsistent offerings - "I'm on my way" (Jim Leverton - great bass player but please no backing vocals) and "fingers in the till" are mediocre in comparison. I would like to hear the band push themselves musically a little more - longer instrumental tracks more complex time signatures etc.

Having produced some of the finest albums in existence "Grey & Pink, Girls Who Grow Plump", "Blind Dog", "New Symphonia" this is another excellent offering and certainly not out of place in the collection.
Hoping there is more to come!
on 18 March 2014
This is Caravans first album in a decade and the first without Richard Coughlan (RIP) on drums, but in Mark Walker they have found a more than suitable replacement. Also missing is Lead Guitarist Doug Boyle and whilst his excellent guitar solos are missing this is still Caravan at their very best. With Pye Hastings sharing vocal harmony with Geoffrey Richardson there is a stronger vocal element to this album and Marks drumming brings a harder edge to the sound. Perhaps not so varied as their previous brilliant Unauthorised Breakfast Item this is still a great album and worthy of five stars.
on 19 May 2014
Caravan will never reach the dizzy heights of their early albums in my opinion but as time goes by they still produce some great stuff. This album is full of clever songs with the usual brilliant musicianship of all band members. Well worth a purchase.
on 25 February 2014
Purchased this direct from Caravan's own website. As someone who always has CD's on in the car when driving, I frequently listen to Caravan (Grey & Pink, Girls who grow plump & Fairfield Hall my favourites) and since owning this CD I'm now listening to this a lot. I saw them live in Whitstable just before Christmas and would recommend anyone who likes them to check out the band on their tour in 2014 (starting March). Whilst I won't give an in depth review of each track I would just say if you've liked Caravan in the past then get this CD as in my opinion it's very good.
on 12 April 2016
Superb CD. Absolutely loved it!
on 30 August 2015
I liked Caravan since listening to Land of Grey and Pink when in the VIth form during the early '70's. A good album and very up-to date Caravan.