4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Consideration
Published 14 months ago by Robin

Good points: This saves having to open the waterproof seal on the mini USB power charger slot on the phone. Now just sits on my desk and I just drop the phone into it when I'm there. Very convenient.

Published 6 months ago by Nigel

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Consideration, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Sony DK36 Magnetic Charging Dock for Sony Xperia Z2 (Accessory)
At first glance a lot of money for a matchbox (remember them) sized piece of plastic but it works so well - especially when used in conjunction with the Smart Connect app to alter the phone settings whilst docked. A good solid clunk when the dock is engaged, holding the unit at the perfect viewing angle and an anti-slip treatment on the base that stop it skating around the desk complete the setup. Free postage and packing, and the fact that this is about £8 cheaper from Total Digital, made this accessory an obvious choice. Please be aware this ships with no cable so you will need your own micro-USB to plug into the rear of the unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 11 Sept. 2013
The dock looks smart, holds the phone well, and has a quality feel about it. However, it's way too expensive for what it is essentially a bit of black plastic - especially as there's no charger or cable included. When you connect the dock to power and drop your phone in, the home screen rotates to landscape... as long as there's power to it. Disconnect the power and the home screen flips back to portrait. More frustratingly it won't charge from my laptop USB socket - it must be a mains charger. I bought this to sit my phone neatly next to my laptop without having to connect it to the mains power - so it fails on that score.

UPDATE: One month on... I now keep this by the bed to charge the phone during the night and for that it is perfect. When docked, I have the XperiaZ 'Smart Connect' set up to automatically turn off wifi, data and sound etc. and initiate the alarm clock (which over-rides the silent mode!). A slightly different use to what I initially wanted it for, but I've adapted my expectations! It's actually ideal by the bed and saves me constantly opening/closing the USB flap for charging. All in all, I'm now happy with this purchase, so I'm upgrading my rating of 3 stars to 4 stars. Still reckon it's over-priced, though!

UPDATE August 2014: Still using this by the bed, and still find it really useful. However, after a software update my XperiaZ1 wouldn't 'stay awake' in the dock - after a couple of minutes the screen turned off, and I was left with no clock to look at during the night. I got round this with a simple app called 'caffeine' which is free in the Play Store. Works a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good genuine Sony product., 5 Jan. 2015
I've had my Sony Experia Z2 for some time, and although there has not been any issue at all with the charging socket cover, I'm conscious of the possibility that it may eventually work loose. I have been removing the cover daily for charging and as it is a waterproof cover any slack in the fitting would not be desirable. I therefore purchased the charging dock to enable ease of charging. I was slightly concerned with some of the negative coments with regards to fitting and durability. I soon discovered that there was no need. The dock comes with 2 inserts that in total offers 3 different fitting widths. I have a Snakehive leather flip case, also bought through Amazon, and with this case on it slips into the dock very easily. The magnets quickly locate and the phone just snaps into place. As it only takes a second to remove this case, I have recently started charging out of the case as it just looks nicer. There are various options on the phone for what is displayed during charging, and the audible tone when charging is complete. There seems to have been some concerns about how light the dock is and that it would move about to easily. There is some foundation in this while the dock is empty, but the weight of the phone overcomes this. Because I only ever use mine in exactly the same place on my computer desk, I have use double sided tape to secure it, which makes it very stable. Again this is not a permanent fix and is easily removed if needed. All in all a good genuine Sony product. I'm not sure how third party compatibles would fair.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 3 Oct. 2013
I ordered this yesterday as my charging port broke and would not charge i could not be without a phone. It fits perfectly and that price is certainly alot cheaper than what I would have to pay to get my phone fixed

4.0 out of 5 stars It's expensive, but it works... sort of., 31 Oct. 2014
So, what should we expect from a Sony magnetic charging dock?

1. It's Sony, so it should be well built - it is (hooray).
2. It's Sony, so it should be well designed - it is... well almost (well, almost hooray then).
3. It's Sony, so it should be twice the price of the competition - it is (damn it).

To be honest, I expected the first and the last points to be true. Sony always make sturdy tech that does what you'd expect for twice the price you'd actually like to pay. Unfortunately, it's let down by point number 2 and it's here that it loses a star.

First the good stuff: it's a magnetic charger, so you drop your phone into the surprisingly neat little cradle, then slide it along until it clicks into place and starts charging. It's so easy, you can do it in the dark with one hand (no mean feat with a phone this big). Okay, it doesn't come with a USB lead or a plug, but the phone did and presumably you used these to charge it before, so there's no real problem there. All good so far.

Now, here's the rub: it's advertised as having a clever removable insert that you can swap for a bigger one that accommodates your phone when it's in a case. The only problem is that very few cases are actually thin enough to work with it. In fact, as far as I know only 3 on the market work (Sony's own "Style" Case, CaseMate's "Barely There" and some German case that costs almost as much as the phone did). If you're going to sell a dock that works with cases on (and please do continue to do so), why not offer a little more flexibility? Don't ask me how. You're Sony, figure it out for yourselves - that's why we pay you twice as much as the competition.

All in all, it works. It might just be worth checking out a cheaper alternative next time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent magnetic charging dock., 18 Jun. 2014
Simple to use. Highly recommend it as it saves the hassle of opening your port of your phone each time you want to charge. Its also great as a stand for your phone on your desk. The only thing I would say is that it is pretty expensive for what it is, £15 would be a more idea price. But if you want to protect your phone, then it gives you a peace of mind that dust isn't going to pour in while you have that lid open during the charge or the worry of liquid spilling from any accidents. Pretty good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars good but expensive for what it is., 25 May 2015
mr chumley (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This is overpriced for what it is but then what do you expect from Sony. It's a very small, very light plastic box with some charging electronics in. But it does look good and it does what it's supposed to. My main gripes are that it has a fixed angle unlike the tablet z dock which was a slide in type and had a widely adjustable stand. It's also too light and comes up with the unit if you pick the tablet vertically up. The trick is to tip the tablet forward to break the magnetic "seal" and it then comes away fine. It also won't accommodate the majority of cases out there so you have to remove the tablet to charge. This is mainly due to the distance from the tablet edge to the case edge, the lack of access to the charging port when case closed, or the thickness of the case.
Pros - looks stylish, easy to insert and remove tablet
Cons - expensive, doesn't adjust angle (unlike Tablet Z dock), too light. Charging with a case on is not widely supported by the case manufacturers

3.0 out of 5 stars Provides a very convenient method of charging your phone, but some issues, 19 Dec. 2014

Bad points: If you have a case on the phone, then it's likely that the phone + case won't fit into the dock without some modification. The dock comes with a couple of holders, but the one designed for use with a case is no good. I have a couple of cases for the phone and both made it too big for the dock, even though they are very thin cases. I have no idea which cases would actually fit. However by enlarging the hole on the case I do prefer to use allows in to fit into the dock without any of the inserts than come with he case. To enlarge the hole in the case was a 2-3 min job with a Dremmel tool.

I also think it's expensive for what it is as it doesn't come with the charger, but the convenience of being able to just drop the phone into the dock is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 9 Mar. 2014
Mr. B. N. THORNTON "Bazman" (Wragby) - See all my reviews
Excellent product which does what it says and charges the xperia z well. Would recommend for all xperia z owners.

2.0 out of 5 stars Batteries not included, nor plugs, nor cables., 25 Feb. 2015
I agree entirely with a lot of the negative reviews, it doesn't come with an adapter and doesn't connect with your computer.
It has 2 stars because I don't hate it, I really want to use it, but using an extra power point in my already saturated office space just doesn't work for me. Sony missed out here.

When it is plugged in, it's good. Your phone will enter a dashboard mode that looks lovely. Replying to texts is a little impractical while docked, but it doesn't take much to slip the phone in and take out of the docking station.

I had almost rationalised buying the device with those positives just mentioned, when I remembered the price, the over inflated, pay-for-the-brand-name, expensive price.

So if your were curious, like me, and think "you know what, I'll do it anyway, my PC is different it will be able to charge it and I'll show them!", you, like me, will be wrong. Save your money.