Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.54

on 20 July 2014
I found this one hard to rate.

The problem is that the book really contains two stories. The main one is good enough. Interesting characters with unusual enough powers to hold the attention. Their only flaw is a tendency to sit around recapping everything that you've just read. Aside from that, the action is okay and the plot moves on smartly.

Perhaps a little too smartly because after the story reaches its conclusion, a completely different one starts up. New enemies appear, a new problem is posed and an entirely different adventure begins. This one is shorter and, to me, really hard not to get annoyed at because of all the twee fake Irish people. They don't actually say 'begorrah' but it's a close call. (I should add that I'm Irish so I may be a little biased.)

My overwhelming impression at the end was: the author wrote a decent book then someone decided that it wasn't long enough so he tacked a half hearted second story onto the end. I'd give the first part of the book 3.5 stars and the second part 1 star. Settled on 2.

Also, for the love of the gods, would someone teach the author the difference between 'then' and 'than'? Thanks.
on 22 July 2016
Shifting what was an adult series into something much more YA made for a strange development so far into a series, but it more or less worked. I will continue but I admit I'm a trifle uncertain about how this will now develop further. The series has been so good till now I'd hate to see it decline.
on 17 March 2016
I thought I was reading the wrong book were was Chris ,Tanya,SOS but this is about two other people we meet in the previous book . I was not sure if I was even going to read it but I stuck with and by the end I had enjoyed reading it . it is different to the other books so I expect these two characters to appear more in the series
on 12 June 2014
John Conroe - an author I follow avidly, and as a result of my addiction to his previous works, found myself reading and rereading them as each new instalment was released. I was thrilled when I saw that Executable was due for release and waited patiently for its arrival.

So it was with mixed emotions I realised that this instalment didn't continue Chris and Tanya's tale, disappointment warring with anticipation at the opportunity to learn more about the magical world outside of theirs. Conroe knows how to world build, create tension and anticipation with his readers and this book was no exception.

I found the story a bit slow to start, and it felt that the book was aimed more at YA when compared to his other books, but Conroe's writing style won through and I was eventually pulled into Declan and Caeco's world, and must say, thoroughly enjoyed this book - but more as a standalone than any continuation or off-shoot to the original series. As it was a retelling of the same tale but from Declan's perspective, perhaps those who haven't read all the Gordon novels would enjoy it a lot more - after all, I knew where and what the outcome would be. Declan is still at school, a 17 year old male warlock who has hidden his abilities from others, protected by his aunt all his life, and Caeco is a magical being on the run from a research lab - a "unique" person with little experience of the outside world.

On the plus side, I feel that Conroe is perhaps "shaping" a new Gordon - Declan, a young warlock who is already breaking the mould by being immensely more powerful when compared to other warlocks, is yet untrained and would benefit from independent guidance without the stigmatism applied to warlocks, their primary use is being married off to a strong witch to improve their bloodline.

Caeco reminds me a little of Tanya - unassuming, powerful and meant to be with Declan. I am looking forward to reading more about them in forthcoming books, perhaps when theirs and Gordon's two worlds intertwine more intensely.

As always, excellent writing, excellent story-telling, but for me the plot just didn't work right. When you have been spoiled by Chris and Tanya's might, it takes a mental shift to step backwards and sideways - something I found a little difficult to do.
on 6 August 2015
Not about the same characters as the previous books. Written to an equal standard, but it feels like this story should have been interwoven with one of the previous books and finally the link between the characters revealed.
on 2 February 2014
I'm generally not a fan of books that deviate from the main storyline, but I found this one to be an exception. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Executable and found that it explored a lot of the things hinted at in the other books.
on 9 February 2014
I started to read the first book by accident, less than one week later I have finished all the accord books I just couldn't put them down and had to find out what happened to Chris and Tanya plus all the other characters in these books.Get a move on John I'm waiting
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 May 2015
I expected to really dislike this book. All I could see was that it was a break from the normal characters that we had just spent 5 books getting attached to, a break from the main storyline that I wanted to keep reading about and also a step down to the YA market which can often feel a bit patronising to older readers.

However, what I actually found was another fun book with a new, strong, 1st person lead. Declan is a witch and what is rare for a witch is that he is a powerful male witch when normally male witches are weaker. More than this, he might actually be one of the most powerful witches alive. He has been successfully hiding with his aunt in Vermont and has been able to keep a relatively low profile and lead a relatively normal life until a new girl shows up in his town who brings with her a lot of trouble both for herself and Declan in turn.

What follows is a lot of fun, a lot of action and another good step for this series. Whilst no longer the first person character, Chris does make a few appearances and it is quite nice seeing him from an outsider's perspective rather than his own humble one.

Basically what I am saying is that if, like me, you wanted to give this book a miss and go straight to the next book in the series, maybe you might just want to give it a try. It turns out that it is a very good book.
on 24 July 2014
Writing is terrible, needs a good editor. Stuck with the series with ever dwindling hopes of seeing an improvement. Great concept in book one, but series fails to live up to expectations. Not sure how this series justifies the 5 stars getting awarded.
on 18 February 2014
The author writes great stories with great pace. This one features a small cast of new characters that open up this alternative reality to a whole host of new shenanigans, mixing magic with technology. Thoroughly enjoyed this and looking forward to Forced Ascent!