5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera
This for me this is the camera that Olympus has finally given me all in one package at a down to earth price.
A very credible alternative from entry to mid level DSLR, tilting screen and a great viewfinder, built in flash (thank you Olympus) and image quality that now rivals most stuff below full frame camera's.
The fast prime lens selection in micro 4/3 world...
Published 12 months ago by millionsofpeaches

3.0 out of 5 stars very easy and useful
Price - Size - Quality relation is ok, as you get a very portable 4/3 sensor. Connection to smartphone, very easy and useful. Tilt screen very good as well. ON the dark side, support for raw files by adobe lightroom is nonexistant, the camera menus are far from intuitive. Temperature variations affect the camera performance a lot, moisture and heat make the screen to stop...
Published 7 months ago by Daniel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 23 Mar. 2014
millionsofpeaches (st albans, hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The fast prime lens selection in micro 4/3 world are fantastic and with the superfast autofocus make for a really enjoyable experience, the OMD range look great and resembles olde style Olympus OM camera's.
The EM10 is compact and very stylish, has very intuitive controls,inc twin control dials ,complimented with small lenses makes for a set up that begs to be used to fuel your photographic enjoyment.
I purchased the new 25mm F1.8 lens, with this on the EM10 the images are fantastic and autofocus is superfast.
Dslrs are still brilliant for a lot of people and do a great job, giving you excellent image quality and speed to capture life's moments, but if like me you love a bit of old style retro and value small discreet cameras, then the OMD EM10 could be for you

5.0 out of 5 stars Micro-four thirds cameras are like marmite, you either love them or hate them, 21 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Olympus OM-D EM10 with Power Zoom Pancake M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 EZ Lens - Silver/Silver (16.1MP, Live MOS ) 3.0 inch Tiltable LCD (Electronics)
Micro-four thirds cameras are like marmite, you either love them or hate them. I just love the size advantage you get, and there are some fantastic lenses. Although this is supposed to be the "budget" OM-D camera, it bests the original Olympus E-M5 in many areas and I actually prefer the E-M10.

An internet review site likened the E-M5 to a gazelle, which is also good simile for the E-M10. As soon as you put the camera to your eye, it automatically switches off the rear screen and enables the electronic view finder. The rear dial I have programmed to adjust exposure with the button next to it programmed for AEL. Unlike an optical view finder there is a live view of the exposure, so you immediately see if you are under/over exposing before taking the photo, and you can toggle "blinkies" to check for sensor dynamic range clipping (clipped highlights flash orange and clipped shadows flash blue). The front dial I have programmed for adjusting aperture / shutter, with one of the adjacent buttons programmed for depth of field preview. The other adjacent button is programmed to toggle the dial functions; press it and the front dial changes adjusts ISO, and the rear dial adjusts White Balance. Again, there is live view of the white balance in the view finder before taking the photo. I have the view finder programmed so that the exposure compensation is replaced by a spirit level once the shutter button is half pressed. So managing the exposure, depth of field, white balance and getting straight horizon is childs play, and no need for chimping after each photo.

The autofocus is also quick, accurate and no-nonsense. I have the four arrow buttons programmed to directly move the focus point around the 81 point grid. However, if you want to let the camera do some of the work for you, I have the OK button programmed to bring up the "super control panel" on the rear touch screen. Touch the "face" icon and spin the front dial for all the face detection options, and half press the shutter to start shooting again. Take the camera away from your eye in shooting mode, and the rear touch screen is ready for touch to shoot. The screen tilts for shooting from the hip or over heads.

The mode dial has some functions that I don't use(ART, SCN, etc.), which can be reprogrammed to custom settings (Mysets). I have reprogrammed the ART position to Myset1 for high speed action shots, which is aperture priority with F/5 (optimum sharpness for mFT lenses and plenty of DOF), with 1/120 refresh rate of the view finder (so no EVF time lag), and 8 frames a second high speed burst. I have programmed the SCN position to Myset 2 for manual focus, which aperture priority, manual focus mode, and focus peak (which highlights all the in-focus [high contrast] areas of a scene).

You don't have to re-programme the dials and buttons (the default settings are sensible), but if you know what you like, you have the flexibility to tune your camera exactly to your shooting style. The custom menu system to initially set up the camera isn't always intuitive, but you only do it once.

I bought the camera without lens, and use it most of the time with the 17mm F/1.8. The combo is just the right size, balance, feel......I'm sure that someone reading will know what I'm talking about. I have some zoom lenses too, but it's those tiny prime lenses I love using.

Anyway, Olympus have got a lot of things right with this camera. It provides a very engaging and enjoyable shooting experience that will motivate you to go out and take photos more often. If you don't want the burden of a bulky DSLR, you will find it a liberating experience.

P.S. I would recommend spending 20 pounds on an extra x2 pack of batteries, and be sure to get the ones compatible with the Olympus charger.

P.P.S. If you want to know the bad bits: you'll keep loosing the EVF cover if you carry the camera in your coat Pocket, and some things in the custom menus are not very clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best camera I have ever owned, 19 July 2014
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I agonised over this purchase. How to replace my old Canon SLR with something smaller and, crucially, better? Not easy. I considered everything for months, then bought the Olympus E-M10.

I might have bought the E-M5 or stretched to the E-M1 to get that leap in quality, but I realised I didn't need to. The E-M10 doesn't really lack any professional features (well, one or two perhaps, though it has one or two unique features of its own, like a built-in flash) - it's just smaller.

Okay, so you don't get the weather sealing or the 5-axis image stabilisation the other two OM-Ds have, or the ability to shoot at 1/8000. The lack of weather sealing is fine for a fair-weather photographer like me, and in any case you have to have weather sealed lenses too, and none of the lenses I fancy are weather sealed.

The 3-axis image stabiliser gets good reviews from the pros, and works very well for me, so I can live with that too. And 1/4000 sec shutter speed is fine for my kind of photography. Get over these three hurdles and the E-M10 is the obvious choice since it's such good value.

In the hand it feels great - super dense and built like a little tank. It feels expensive. I like cameras to be as small as possible, and this is so much smaller than my SLR was. The E-M10 feels just right, with a perfect thumb grip on the back and decent finger grip on the front. If you want to use big lenses, you might want to buy the optional grip that I hear is very useful.

Image quality is clearly better than my old SLR. It had a bigger sensor, but was poor at ISO1600, its max ISO. That's how things have moved on. The E-M10 is smooth and detailed at ISO1600, fine at 3200, and just about okay at 6400 in a pinch. I wouldn't bother with the higher settings. I have two of the gorgeous Olympus f1.8 primes (didn't bother with the kit lens since the whole point of a camera like this is to wring the very best IQ from it and that means fast lenses doesn't it?) and the pics I'm getting are the best I've ever had, with very little effort. It feels like the camera is better than I am at the moment.

Everything works brilliantly. It's really fast and responsive. The electronic viewfinder is so crisp and clear and fluid that I never even think about it. I just use it. However, after a few weeks use I have noticed a problem, which is that blue-green colours are rendered completely (and I do mean completely) wrong in the viewfinder, which is disappointing. The tilting, touch sensitive LCD is as slick and classy as anything you'll see and `touch to focus' is something you'll wonder how you managed without. The twin dials suit me just fine and all the buttons and switches are positive in action and reasonably large. I love the old-fashioned power switch that you can flick on and off by feel. It's just a pleasure to use.

Even the wi-fi works brilliantly. I've only tried it once, but it connected easily to my iPhone and stayed connected when I retreated indoors to take pictures of the birds in my garden by remote control. This blows me away. I just need to think of other ways to use it.

There are so many functions that I can't describe them. The main ones are, luckily, easy to access and use, either from a typical menu with the buttons (useful when your eye is glued to the EVF) or by using the touch screen. You can go much, much deeper into things and customise every last button, dial and function. The level of customisability for an `entry level' camera is astonishing. It's also a bit bewildering. But after a few weeks I'm getting the hang of it, though remembering where a particular setting is can be tricky. The manual (on CD only) is not bad, but you really need it with you all the time if you're going to access the more obscure functions on the go. I've had many cameras over the years and the E-M10's menus are the most challenging of all. But you will get the hang of them in the end.

Other downsides are minor. The battery takes a full three hours to charge, and then lasts a fairly average length of time. So it's a shame there's no percentage for the battery level like on a phone. When you're down to two segments, what it really means is that it's about to die. Get a spare battery or two. At least you get a proper charger with two leads - one for the UK and one for everywhere else. It would have been nice to have some more video frame rates. Video looks pretty good, but you're stuck with 30fps or nothing. I also find the eye detector a bit sensitive so when you're using the touch screen playback you have to be really careful or your finger is detected and puts you back into record mode. The diopter control is essential but super fiddly, so pray you will only have to set it once.

But the downsides are minor niggles. This is a great camera. Fast, beautifully built, outstanding image quality, packed with useful and versatile features, small and stylish, the list goes on. It is, without a doubt, the best camera I have ever owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, what a camera!, 10 April 2014
I have moved from my nice, small, neat Olympus E-510 DSLR which was about 6 or 7 years old.
I bought this and immediately thought: Oh, that can only be a toy.
Then I took a picture with it: easy to use, immediate, clear viewfinder with LOTS of information. Perfect picture quality. Ideal as a camera.
Then I put it in my coat pocket: Wow it is small and neat and tidy - and still delivers outstanding results.

Yes, the menus need "thinking about". But I set the options I wanted: small focus point in the middle, aperture priority, aperture control on the front dial and exposure compensation on the back, information on the screen and viewfinder etc. Saved these as a MySet and allocated them to the A on the dial.
Now, whenever I switch to A, I get my best setup - IDEAL. I can still use all the other settings and see what they do, and quickly return to my settings whenever I wish.

Advice: don't think, buy it!
You cant take any pictures until it is in your hands. And once it is there, you will be delighted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing camera, 8 Jan. 2015
Andy (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Just received this today. Upgrading from an EPL1. I know it's an obvious big jump, but wow... what a camera!

It's so fast, and the touch screen to focus and expose is great - will be brilliant to get other people to take pictures.

The major winner for me is the low light performance. Managed to take a 0.6 second exposure with no problem, and it looked great. The 3 axis stabilisation is amazing. This for me is worth the money alone, but there's so many great features (wifi etc). I haven't had a chance to set it all up properly, but first and second opinions are great.

Only downside I've found is that Raw files won't even open on my Lightroom 4, so looks like I need to upgrade. But that's my problem, not the camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Camera., 3 Sept. 2014
I have been using this camera for a few weeks now and find it fantastic! It was originally intended to be an accompanying camera for my main kit, however i now tend to take this on its own in place of my other kit.

live bulb mode is amazing to use! -just thought id get that in there.

it is small but not that small in comparison to my old om-1n. In my opinion most DSLR's are to big (for what they offer they are, colossal)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 5 Nov. 2014
I bought my first OM1 forty years ago and owned a succession of OM models. After the unappealing bulk of the E digitals, the OM-D series return to the delights of a camera that fits the hand and is instinctive to use. With a converter my old OM prime lenses are back in use, manual focus and all. Yet for speedy use my PEN lenses are to hand. A camera with a beautiful feel and a good lineage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality in your pocket. Amazing camera., 21 July 2014
Mr. R. D. Turner (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been a longtime user of Digital SLR cameras and compact mirrorless micro 4/3rds cameras as well. The image quality gap between them has shrunk to almost nothing and it comes down to a question of ergonomics. Mirrorless compact cameras like this Olympus are pocket-able in a coat or cargo trouser pocket and do great video. SLR's have a real viewfinder and are more comfortable to hold for a period of time and you can rent super expensive lenses if you photograph birds or planes.

The best advice for anyone buying a new camera is go take a look at them in person. What you find comfortable to use is not necessary the same as me.

Micro.four thirds system cameras have been around for a while. I loved my Olympus Pen E-PM1 Compact System Camera Double Zoom Kit - Black (includes M.ZUIKO Digital 14 -42mm II R and M.ZUIKO Digital 40 -150mm Lenses) complete with Panasonic 20mm Compact and Lightweight Digital Interchangeable Lens for Lumix G - Black and Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Lens - Black lenses but in the end sold it because the plug in viewfinder was a pain and composing pictures with the LCD screen is not always great in bright light.

This new breed of Olympus OM-D's use the same image technology and lens mount but add a huge dollop of quality and usability. It is aimed at the experienced camera user who wants quality and control over their camera and will pay for it. This E-M10 has a metal body, lots of buttons and a large viewfinder with a resolution of about 800x600 pixels. Up close that is not as good as an optical viewfinder but leaps and bounds better than electronic viewfinders of old. It's two metal raised jog wheels can be next and zoom or shutter and aperture, function buttons, a button for the highlight and shadow and a programmable function button. The touchscreen allows quick change of most other functions. The body is made of metal and the tilt LCD screen although it doesn't flip over to save scratches does allow for out of window photos or waist level shooting. The jog wheels are large enough to use while wearing gloves. This is a proper camera..

In use the camera is fast - super fast. SLR users will be surprised to learn that grab focus on this camera usually exceeds the focus speed on their SLR. I compared it to my Canon EOS 100D DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm III Lens - Black (18MP, CMOS Sensor) 3 inch Touch Screen LCD and the Olympus was quicker indoors and out. The touchscreen allows focus anywhere in the frame and can also be used to take the shot. For getting people to take pictures of you this is brilliant because they just touch your face onscreen and the photo is taken - instantly!

The image quality depends on the lenses used but I think potential purchasers of this camera know that lenses are a requirement. The bundled lens is a super compact 14-42mm affair with an odd electronic zoom. This annoyed me the first few times I used it but I understand that for video shooting it really makes a difference. It is silent and smooth and the image stabilisation works well with it. One of the settings hidden away allows a faster zoom speed and this is much better. As a walk around lens it is pretty good and very versatile and makes the camera pocket-able. Compact lens options also include the Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:1.8 Lens - Black and the older Panasonic 20mm Compact and Lightweight Digital Interchangeable Lens for Lumix G - Black which is not good for video but is super sharp and small. New lenses use silent motors, internal focusing and work better with the newer bodies.

[Edit after using on a beach holiday]

Having taken another 500 pictures on a beach holiday I can report that the camera just keeps on giving. It is heavy but pocket able and has been utterly reliable in sandy conditions. The touchscreen has been great for others to take photos with and for reviewing photos indoors and anything other than direct sunlight very usable. Polarized sunglasses will make it go very dark though. The viewfinder has been just superb.

Settings I have found useful

- Custom self timer. I have mine set for 5 seconds with 3 shots 0.5 second after another
- Wifi reviewing on my iPad. Download the Olympus app and you can upload/review photos from the camera once paired. It creates a wireless hotspot that you connect to. Brilliant for showing family.
- Burst mode - 8frames per second!
- Bundled lens - actually very good in decent light with sharp edges and little distortion. Very useful range as well.

In summary, This is the best travel camera I have ever used.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than I paid for, 18 Feb. 2015
imppact (Planet Earth, most of the time!) - See all my reviews
The menus are a little complex but make no mistake, this is a high quality metal bodied camera (Magnesium Alloy I think) which produces superb images. For me, the handling was greatly improved by the addition of the Olympus ECG-1 dedicated grip. Being able to control the camera from my iPhone was an unexpected bonus...A truly excellent buy!

UPDATE: Having fairly large hands, I found operating the diminutive 14-42mm Pancake lens more than a little awkward. I therefore decided to replace the supplied lens with the Olympus 12-50mm lens from the EM5. My EM10 is now even easier and quicker to use and with a bigger lens attached, I quickly realised the camera is much more comfortable to hold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the future..., 28 Dec. 2014
F ARMAND PAULET (BURNHAM-ON-SEA, SOMERSET United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I owned an original OM film camera... last century! and now it's back to the future in a smaller and smarter digital outfit. A real treat and a marvellous little piece of timeless design and uncompromising technology. The perfect companion if you don't want a full size DSLR. My best friend already.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›