4.0 out of 5 stars 5 star band, 4 star album
Published on 12 April 2012 by Boone19

3.0 out of 5 stars Skints left me short changed
Having followed the Skints since the release of their first EP, I was desperately looking forward to this album, however I have funnily ended up feeling left short changed by the Skints.

Published on 15 Mar 2012 by Joveie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 star band, 4 star album, 12 April 2012
This review is from: Part & Parcel (Audio CD)
I first saw the skints supporting Reel Big Fish early last year, and I was blown away. I've always loved reggae, ska, and rocksteady, and to see a NEW band take it and give it such a relevant modern edge was amazing. I immediately bought 'Live, Breathe, Build, Believe' and wasn't disappointed: the reggae basis was there, but the rock and grime flavours infused with it made it a unique listening experience. It was full of passion and energy, with heavy political undertones. If I had one criticism to make of LBBB, I would say that it just lacked a bit of finesse and lacked the maturity of a really classic album.

So I bought Part & Parcel in high hopes, and was extremely satisfied with it. The maturity that was lacking in LBBB makes P&P, and its a sophisticated mixture thoughtful and diverse reggae tracks. It was also great to hear a more even spread between the three vocalists: Josh providing P&P with its distinctive London edge, Jamie's soulful tones mellowing a few of the more chilled tracks and Marcia's effortless voice the glue holding it all together. The rhythms a sharp and interesting, and the keyboards add more body to the the guitar's skank, and the sax brings another dimension into the mix. Musically, P&P is very difficult to fault, and is supported by excellent lyrics. Whether it's the simple but effective imagery in 'Sunny, Sunny', or the elaborate tales of East London life in 'Live East, Die Young', the lyrics, if not always extremely complex, make interesting listening anyway.

So why then only four stars? Although musically very tight, lyrically very interesting and an all-round mature and thoughtful album, the passion and raw energy of LBBB lacks slightly. Don't get me wrong, P&P is an excellent album, but the slightly aggressive edge of LBBB is not really here. For some, I realise, that will be a positive, but for me, that edge just adds that final ingredient. If this were another band, I might well have given P&P five stars: it's certainly good enough. However, I'd love to save that for the masterpiece the Skints will inevitably release in the future. The Skints are probably the most exciting band around at the moment, so I would highly recommend both albums, and say go and follow them. In the future they will be big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it..., 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: Part & Parcel (Audio CD)
If this album was a woman, it would be Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.

British. Stunningly beautiful. And nice enough to take home to meet your mum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pushing things forward, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Part & Parcel (Audio CD)
Have followed The Skints since early 2009 supporting the Aggrolites in Bristol U.K and have watched them develop and mature over three years almost like a proud but distant parent. Part And Parcel for me cements a coming of age for this talented bunch of bright young people. There have already been some detractors complaining that the sound is different and it's not what they expected and yes this ain't Live-Breathe-Build-Believe but in order for them to be pushing things forward sonically then they have to cover some new ground.

The Skints have emerged from the the Ska-Core world with a an album reeking with more real Reggae maturity than the 100mph, 2-D, pseudo-ska that is often spewed forth from the scene. L.B.B.B encapsulated the Dub/Rock leanings which were then highly different to their early turbo charged offerings. On this album the main difference you'll notice is that gone are the boombastic-heavy Punk guitar power riff-finials for a generally more uplifting emphasis on vocal harmonies between Jamie and Marcia and analogue heavy production courtesy of Prince Fatty and his studio. The more lighter offerings come in the way of some dabbling in trad Ska (Ring Ring, Lay you Down)and Dennis Brown style lovers reggae(Sunny Sunny).

Those slighly agahst at a band delving into the subjects of love should really grow up and apply the musical Clearasil these tunes offer. Jamie's soulfully unique vocal's really come to the fore here and for that's something not often said of a drummer. Sunny Sunny is dreamy on the ears like good Reggae should always achieve.

What fans of L.B.B.B should give the band credit for is that there is still plenty in the P&P that give heavy heavy workouts in Dub and Grime. Ratatat is their hardest tune to date and while I'm still taking time to decode Marcia's turbo flows, Josh comes in hard too with East-Landan lingua for a dancefloor destroying anthem.
'Rub-A-Dub (Done Know)', 'Up Against The Wall Riddim' and 'Soundboy' all serve to reminds us that The Skints are still murderously deadly, 'Soundboy' declaring ...."I won't hesistate to let a soundbwoy know I will dead him!"
Up Against The wall is slightly more stripped back than on the 7" offering but still devious and menacing.

Also what the Skints can boast is having not one, not two but three great vocalists' with Josh adding the rude but melodious flow on Live East Die Young. All three vocals come together on the chorus and the poppy and infectious hook lifts this up as one the really strong tracks of the album.

The opening track Rise Up is most noted for is solidly dope tempo laid out by Jamie, the snares sharp and piercing. "Ruffneck Sound" intones guest deejay Parly B. 'Can't Take No More' bubbles along nicely riding a beastly bass-line, Jamie taking lead vocal and Marcia purring lower in the mix. 'You Better' rounds the album off nicely but is probably the weaker of all the tracks in all fairness.

My only real criticism of the album is that there could have been one or two more anthems, worthy of serious ear-worm, such as Murderer but all in all this is some of the old, some of the new and pushing boundaries all the while. I have it on constant repeat and gets better with each listen. It's been well worth the wait and the Skints are currently riding up the Indie and mainstream charts simultaneously as I write this. One things for sure this is the album that will bring the world to The Skints not the other way around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underground going overground. Ska for all ages, 13 Mar 2012
This review is from: Part & Parcel (Audio CD)
I first heard the Skints at a Gogol Bordello concert where they went down a storm with the mix of world music / punk and Uni audience. Saw them again at a Gym Class heros gig where they again got the room moving. Reggae and Ska just keeps going and reinventing itself and this album is as much of a blast and as fresh as the first time I put "Specials" on my record deck, gets to me like Tribute to the Martyrs by Steel Pulse and makes you smile like Desmond Dekker.
But if you have heard none of that old stuff but like your music to get you moving while it moves you, like music made by musicians not studio machines and want to make the best £8.99 investment of the year - you have found it. Touring in the Autumn of 2012 in the UK - Highly recommended maximum fun for your £££s

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album, 12 Mar 2012
This review is from: Part & Parcel (Audio CD)
Had a copy of this for about 10 days now, and feel I should apologise to all my other albums, cos they haven't had a look in since I got it! Was expecting big things from The Skints with this album and they haven't disappointed. A seriously awesome album! A modern East London take on traditional reggae, and every track pure quality. The Skints deserve huge success - get on the bandwagon while there's still room!

3.0 out of 5 stars Skints left me short changed, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: Part & Parcel (Audio CD)

I accept that the second album is a very difficult panda to produce, fan's have an expectation of what they should be delivered and bands generally start moving in a new direction, which is what has happened here. So whilst always being a ska/reggae band, they have retained their reggae style, but cut the punk guitars that gave them a fantastic edge. I could live with this if the whole album had the pace and slick styles of the first couple of tracks, but the album tails off in the middle with almost soppy love tracks, which reminds me of how the King Blues went off the rails from raw to wet (and rubbish).

However, the Skints are still far from rubbish. The album's production is first class, the word play is more advanced (Josh and Marcia are excellent) yet Jamie seems to have lost his edge which made the first album so intense.

Partly what has led me to feel that I have been mis-sold the concept was the release of 'Up Against the Wall' prior to the album. This was a brilliant track with, that word I keep coming back to, an edge, that got me very excited about the next album. But to explain the difference between expectation and reality, I would ask you to listen to that, then the new album version. It is a solid example of the change in styles.

I admire the Skints for producing their album through pledge and everything they have always done. This is a good album. But, in my opinion, whilst it is well made, produced and delivered, it lacks a little bit of what made the Skints so great...

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't have expected anything better!, 13 Mar 2012
This review is from: Part & Parcel (Audio CD)
I discovered the Skints when they supported the Slackers two years ago and pretty much instantly got myself a copy of their debut full length effort, Live Breathe Build Believe. What I particularly like about them is the variety that the range of vocal styles bring to it- that's their "USP", as the Apprentice spicks would say. Also they have a talent for writing catchy choruses, and the periodic use of heavier guitar sections gave the album a really dynamic feel.

Fast forward a year and I was moved to contribute to their project to get this latest effort up and running using Pledgemusic.com. The band wanted to create an album without the artistic interference of a record label. It has paid off. Gone, sadly, are the punky guitar sections, but as a huge ska fan I can live without that in light of the quality. Throughout the album they use the vocals of all three singers to produce a varied album with no skippable track to speak of.

As an honourary native of Leyton I feel a certain sense of patriotic pride in supporting a band like the Skints, representing and definitely on the uppers. Buy this and say that you were there at the start of something big!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album from a Great Band, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Part & Parcel (Audio CD)
This is one of the best bands I've seen live after a friend introduced me to them. They have a great sound with three singers that create a really diverse sound between them. The album opens up well with the song "Rise Up" which starts with a great intro from the melodica, this intro sets the tone for the album. It is quite poppy but still maintains a very alternative feel.

All the songs are really well written and most are easy listening making the album perfect for barbeques in the sun. There are a lot of elements that make up the skints, it can be quite gritty but overall it has a very pleasant sound. I don't see why anyone would give it less than 4-5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 6 Feb 2014
reminds me of the time i first heard the specials back in the day , such energy !

even better live...

4.0 out of 5 stars so nice, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Part & Parcel (Audio CD)
it is good and i like his vibration ...more reggae vibes it would be wonderful ... i like their voice

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›