on 2 March 2015
I love Lucy's website Soberistas but I have to be honest and say this book left me empty. I gave up reading it less that halfway through as I just found it very moany in a 'how can I love without booze' sort of way. I hope there was a positive outcome towards the end of the book and that Lucy isn't still lusting after alcohol at every opportunity and reminiscing over and over again about her pissed-up days. As someone who is dealing with quitting he drink but trying to maintain a positive outlook as per the brilliant Jason Vale book... This was just unnecessarily depressing. An interesting memoir but in terms of helping to kick the booze... Nope, I don't get it.
on 3 April 2014
Written in diary form, with little development or analysis. By the time you’re 25% of the way through you are thoroughly aware that the author is on her second marriage, to her ‘soul-mate’, what else; has been sober for two years or thereabouts, after a drinking career spanning two decades; has an older teenage daughter and has recently had a second baby. These facts are then endlessly reiterated as she compares her pre-recovery existence to sobriety. I must say, I did find the clichéd references to ‘self-esteem’ and ‘empowerment’ a bit wince-making, especially when they were invariably mentioned in the context of girly concerns like losing 10 pound or improving one’s personal best in the Sheffield Ladies 10K.

The book may prove more digestible if approached little and often and if you find the mundane details of someone else’s life interesting, but wasn’t to my taste: too repetitive, irritatingly self-congratulatory and just downright prosaic. If you want good recovery literature, I recommend Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety by Sacha Z Scoblic.
on 7 February 2014
This is a great follow up book to The Sober Revolution. The blogs are sequential and the reader gains clear insight into the struggle that an alcohol dependent single mother goes through to reach a better place. The benefits of sobriety are described in detail and the book leaves us in no doubt that the author has reached a better place.
on 12 February 2014
Wow what a read, i managed it in one sitting. Having read lots on the subject of sobriety and/or alcoholism, this book spoke to me in ways none of the others have. perhaps that because i have lots in common with lucy, same age (around) but the similarities not just with the while cultural thing, but the emotions that couple chronic binge drinking, yes i could relate. what i most loved about this book was that it really convinces you that life is better sober. the author even uses graphic imagery and descriptive examples of a scenario drunk or sober to really impact this message. Well done Lucy, a fabulous inspiring read for anyone who wants to stay sober but is 'dithering'.
on 2 April 2015
The last time I read this book I was probably at the worst stage of my alcoholism. I remember taking my iPad to the pub and quaffing white wine while wishing I was able to do what Lucy had done. Finally I took the leap into sobriety. All the positives Lucy lists have come true; and what resonates with me after re-reading while not befuddled by a hangover or being under the influence is what she shares about self esteem. Like Lucy; my self esteem has improved tenfold and I think I deserve to be treated well - mentally, physically and spiritually; both by myself and others. I recommend this book to anyone (particularly female) who would like to glimpse what their lives would be like without alcohol; and who would like some motivation to take the plunge.
on 24 February 2015
Finally someone and something I can relate to! Honest, sincere, funny and thought provoking.. Utterly brilliant! Lucy is one strong inspirational lady. Thank you so much for sharing your story!
on 5 November 2014
Very honest funny and inspiring
on 20 August 2014
Excellent book, thanks
on 26 May 2015
I enjoy this introduction to becoming alcohol free. Parts were a bit repetitive but on the whole a good read to learn about Lucy's experience with alcohol.
on 27 March 2014
Was very pleased that I purchased this book and it made me realise that I am not alone when drinking too much