Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 March 2014
This is a strong album by Panic Room (their 4th i believe). Panic Room if you are not aware is a progressive band with some great songs with some good melodies and Anne Marie's singing talent.

I have never heard their first album though really love 'Satellite' specially the first 5 songs all different and quite apart from each other.

On to Incarnate and first impressions: the opener 'velocity' is a wonderfully catchy song with a great riff, Anne Marie's vocals are exquisite on the number (it can be a rock song for some, progressive for others and even a pop song for some ...it has something for everyone) probably their most catchy tune till date. 'Start the sound' and 'Incarnate' are also great numbers and will grow on me i'm sure.

The album otherwise is mellower than the first number, all songs are melodious with the vocals and tune standing out. other instruments complement these two key elements of the songs.

The sound is very crisp and clear where every note is crystal clear (a pleasure to listen to on headphones). I feel its better than the last album Skin which for me was a bit of a let down after satellite.
on 22 March 2014
The Musicians in this band are of the highest quality and it is exemplified here in this Album. Not as proggy as Skin I feel this album though has many good quality songs which are extremely listenable A worthwhile buy if you appreciate good musicianship
on 15 March 2014
First of all, Panic Room are not a prog rock band, though they will probably appeal to prog fans (me, for example). I don't think Panic Room would describe themselves as prog, either. That said, their songs tend to be a bit longer than your average chart ditty.

There isn't a weak song on Incarnate, and melody is very much to the fore. Anne Marie Helder's voice sits perfectly with the band's music. As a band, they realise where her vocal strengths lie and compose accordingly. Other similarly set up bands could learn from that. The musicianship is excellent and the album, overall, very well produced. I've listened to it a fair bit since getting it just over a week ago and have to say that it's got better with each listen.

So if you're reading this and the other reviews, and you see the word 'prog', don't be put off by it (if you're the sort of person that runs a mile at the mention of it). Panic Room are a solid band who are growing in their craft - songs strong on melody and structure without the tricky time signatures. They deserve to grow and have more success.
on 31 March 2014
Fortunate enough to see Panic Room, together with a select few in Wakefield at the end of March 2014. Brilliant concert
and great musicianship as always. A good album and the more I listen the more I like.
If you get the chance to see them in their current tour, make it a date. Plus special thanks to Anne-Marie, for her splendid
singing (and the Feather Boa at the end of the gig) :-)
on 12 March 2014
This is a quite excellent album. In my opinion all the songs are instantly approachable and the arrangements are a joy to the ears. I first came across Anne-Marie Helder as part of Mostly Autumn and was very impressed by her singing and general musicality. I explored a little more and discovered her work with Panic Room - Visionary Position and Skin duly purchased and much enjoyed. More recently the Luna Rossa offshoot from Panic Room - Sleeping Pills and Lullabies - with Jonathan Edwards generated another wonderful but different type of listen. Having also seen Panic Room live last summer at The Garage, I have been waiting since then with patience and much anticipation for Incarnate to arrive. All I need say further is my patience has been well rewarded. Go buy and enjoy!
on 26 March 2016
The forth album from Welsh band Panic Room , fronted by Ann-Marie Helder. She is also a member of Mostly Autumn at times, playing flute, keyboards and backing vocals. The band are often labelled as a progressive rock band, however I feel that they are more of rock band, with well crafted songs. Would appeal to fans of prog music like myself. There are some mellow moments as well as more rockier songs. Previous albums, such as Skin contained passages making use of violin parts, as well as use of other instruments , there isn't any of that here, in my opinion. There is the use of keyboard passages . What makes the album is Ann-Marie's gorgeous vocals. Standout tracks for me include start the sound and waterfall
on 5 October 2015
Sorry, it's time to do that really unfair comparison thing! My feeling is that I'd buy this album again, but... I got a bit stuck trying to get over the whole "Paul Davies has left" thing. Does it suffer so much from that, from just being different, or from following Skin, which was beyond excellent? After getting stuck in traffic a lot (and therefore listening to it a lot), I reckon that different probably sums it up. It's more an indication of what you can expect from Panic Room that they can produce an album like this and have anyone go; "Hmmm... they've done better". Favourite song: Waterfall. I just can't help singing along.
on 21 June 2014
I discovered Panic Room after their last album, Skin, which I really enjoyed. As others state, its not easy to categorise Panic Room, but the prog label does them a disservice. When I head the trailer for this album I was worried it might be bland, but no fear: this is an album full of strong songs with great tunes. (Maybe I am old fashioned, but melody seems optional these days). The final track alone, Dust, will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up (Marillion fans, think of A few Words for the Dead). In fact, for Hogarth-era Marillion fans I think you will find this album, and its predecessor, must-buys. Highly recommended.
on 13 April 2014
Panic Room are one of the best kept secrets from Wales. A rock band? Well yes! Heavy? Sometimes! Prog? Sometimes! AOR? Sometimes! Classically influenced? Sometimes! ...And therein lies part of the problem. You just can't pin down this band to a neat musical type. Headed by the excellent vocals of Anne-Marie Helder who is the closest thing you'll hear to a modern day Anne Wilson (of Heart) in her range and tonal purity, this band seem to go from strength to strength with each new release. This album (their 4th) is lighter in tone than some of their previous efforts no doubt due to the departure of guitarist and founding member Paul Davies and the recruitment of promising young guitarist Adam O'Sullivan. The album starts with the rocky 'Velocity' then proceeds into 'Start the Sound' which sounds reminiscent of some of the stuff Mike Oldfield used to do with vocalist Maggie Reilly (remember 'Moonlight Shadow')? From there we have the rocky title track and the sultry 'Into Temptation' which is sure to be used by some as background music on hot, steamy nights (wink, wink!). Perhaps though it is with the three tracks 'Waterfall', 'All That We Are' and 'Dust' that this album will be most remembered. Firstly the 'poppy' 'Waterfall' is more than just the kind of throw-away stuff that you'll hear from One Direction et al. It has true 'depth' whilst still being of a 'pop' sensibility. Think Fleetwood Mac or Supertramp and you're on the right track. Second the track 'All That We Are' could almost be termed 'soul' and features possibly Anne-Marie's finest vocal performance to date. And finally, in 'Dust' we have the album's dramatic closer, a song which conjures up such images that make you think 'Game of Thrones' should have it in their closing credits - a blockbuster. Album of the year so far - 90%.
on 29 May 2014
Excellent album with more mellow bias compared with harder edged previous album Skin, also excellent. Great to chill out with a cold beer.