Format: Audio CDChange

Well this brings back memories,my ist Rush gig would be 4 months later,at the Glasgow Apollo,so this recording rejuvenates the memory of that gig,its a superb release,sound quality excellent,for a recording more than 3 decades ago,its not the full gig but its faithful to the original radio broadcast(i had a cassette of many moons ago).

How can you go wrong when it has,2112/By Tor & The Snow Dog/Xanadu and disc closer La Villa Strangiata ?,throw in a excellent medley,superb drum solo and a couple of embryonic versions of 'Spirit of the Radio' and 'Natural Science' not forgetting a tight little 'Beneath,Between,Behind.

As i said sound quality is really good, marvel at Alex and Geddy's playing,revel in Neil's drumming,rolling round the kit like there's no tomorrow and smile at Geddy's helium filled yelps and screams as he tries to get all the words in..

This is a value for money release,no doubt it wont be official,but like a slew of other recent radio releases,it will be a copyright issue,its up to you if you wish to buy,hopefully Rush and all these other bands,will get there finger out and start issuing archive live releases,we know they have them.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2014
This is a very good quality live release of classic Rush from my favorite Rush era. The sound quality is very good (Top end bootleg) taken from a radio broadcast from the middle of the Permanent Waves tour. The setlist includes tracks from all their albums up to this point but it is not the whole concert and although I'm sure all the songs played that night will have been recorded those edited out must have got lost somewhere, a pity really because I'd be interested to hear a live version of Hemispheres. But let's not be negative, this is still a very good purchase, especially at this price, the performance is excellent, they were clearly on form by this point of the tour. I was lucky enough to catch them later on in the tour at Deeside Leisure Centre, ticket price, £4. This recording brings back fond memories from my teenage years, standing on an ice rink watching in awe as my heroes rocked the place. For those of you of the same vintage this is definitely worth a listen, you won't be disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2014
I've had this show in various formats; originally on a 2-disk (vinyl) album, then a bootleg CD, and now this. A couple of things I noticed as differences between the two CDs:

1) The 'Spririt of the Airwaves' CD has the date as Feb 13th, 1908, while my CD boot says February 14th. From a trusted source, they played Kiel Auditorium Feb 11th - 13th, so I suspect the SotA disc is correct.

2) The song order is different between the two CDs. My CD bootleg has:

The Spirit of Radio
Natural Science
Beneath, Between, Behind
By Tor & the Snow Dog
Working Man
[ and so forth ]

Note that TSoR, NS and BB&B follow 2112 on the boot, but BT&SD and X follow it on this CD. I wonder which is correct?

On my CD boot, 'Anthem' is not listed, but is included in the FMW track. Also, the CD boot has the 2112 suite as one song track, while the SotA breaks the pieces out into separate song tracks.

All in all, a decent disc, with not bad packaging (there's actually some liner notes with a general history of the band & albums, but nothing not already known by everyone. Get it if you're a completist ...

David A
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2014
This is a must for Rush fans,if ever we need reminded why we love this great Canadian trio this album is one off many reasons. It takes me back to why i came a Rush fan,the only down part off this recording is that its not the full concert which means the likes of Hemispheres is missing so that's why iv giving it four stars not five, but its good to here the likes of Spirit of Radio how it sounded in its first tour,this is a great cd.
on 17 April 2014
I love that warm mix you get from this recording of the band - arguably better than some official releases from the same time - more bass basically, and Rush are big on that right?
One criticism 1:19 into Working man is a glitch bit like a 'jump' that you could get on vinyl this could have been fixed and messes up this song. It isn't my pressing the same flaw is present in the Spotify recording. Perhaps some of the other reviews were right that this was knocked off one the limited run records produced for publicity at the time rather than from the master tapes.
The rest is quite brilliant buy it.
on 9 June 2015
Kind of a "Exit...Stage Left" without the overdubs, this is a truly remarkable Rush live experience, even better if listened at maximum volume. I've been waiting a decade for an official release of this recording. The original promo SPE-003 release from Anthem has the same tracklist but it's unreachable, being so rare and expensive - last time I saw it on eBay it sold for $200+. This release do not disappoint, very clean and balanced pressing, sounds even better than the remastered bootleg version. If you're a Rush fan get yours while you can.
on 4 December 2014
Rush at their peak. This show captures them at the turn of the 80's. Simply awesome - get it NOW.
on 7 November 2014
The drumming on this album makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up, by far this album makes me realise the world class of this group, I would go as far as saying that Neil Peart is the number one drummer in the world and has been for some time, and don't forget these are live recordings..
on 27 September 2014
I saw them 3 times from 1978 to 1981 as a youngster. They amazed me then and still do now. Never equalled: never surpassed. I was truly rejuvenated listening to this. Quality surprising for an unofficial item. A must for the young and old fans alike of the masters of their art ! ! !
on 24 March 2014
A must buy if you are a rush fan, I love their music have followered them for 30 years, have all their records tapes CD,s, arrived very quick , reasonable as all items off amazon