Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£25.21+ £1.26 shipping

on 8 August 2015
IL Sorpasso is a cinema and italian movie classic, and it's been appreciated a lot also abroad, even if 70% of its values gets lost if you are not italian (or even roman), since the depiction of Gassman character relies a lot on italian and roman archetypes and cliches, on slang and accent, on dialects, but not just in a picturesque way. Anyway you can easily get the contraddiction of this man and the strange attraction to his opposite, a young and magical Trintignant. Il Sorpasso is a manifest of Italian classic comedy, a perfect description of Italy and a dramatic and bitter tale of life and youth illusion. A masterpiece, very well remastered on hd
on 18 August 2014
Il Sorpasso is a term that I've heard since childhood. Ever since I became interested in film at the age of thirteen, this title has constantly been mentioned by my father as a must see film. Endlessly he has heaped praise on a film that he had seen nearly 40 years previously.

After spending more than a decade trying to track down this film, after viewing a terrible French DVD edition (WITHOUT English Soutires) I simply decided to give up. Then finally after 52 years the great Criterion company announced that this title will be released, I was simply jumping for joy. Now after 17 years of listening to my dad's praise for this film, I finally decided to watch this with clear English subtitles on a clear and pristine print.

To cut a long story short; the film is sensational.

Bruno a middle aged fun and easy going wheeler and dealer meets the young and shy Roberto, an Italian law student. Before he knows it, Bruno has wheeled his way into Roberto's appartment and he takes the young man on a road journey. Teaching the young lad on life, love and opening his eyes to the real world.

Road movies are a staplemark of 60s and 70s cinema, everything from Easy Rider to Wim Wenders' Kings of the Road, have dealt with themes and subjects out in the spacious open road. Some have been revolutionary, whilst some have been a portrait of a slice of life. Il Sorpasso is very much the latter. A typical relatable story set in a beautiful bygone era during the Italian boom of the early 60s, on the surface we have a film that is fun and shows the guilty pleasures of life. However it also deals with Italian society being swept up by the boom and abandoning their traditional family orientated mentality for a shallow and individualistic mind set.

Yet again Criterion have excelled themselves. Seriously the only reason I decided to upgrade to a multi region blu-ray player was due to the Criterion catalogue. The blu ray offers a digitally remastered print that is pristine and very watchable. The mono audio has also been cleaned up and offers clarity, whilst the set of extras on hand are informative and intriguing.

Il Sorpasso is a must see for Italian film lovers; a brilliantly paced, hillarious gem backed up by brilliant performances from both Gassman and Trintignant.
on 15 March 2015
I enjoyed most of this film but the ending what somehow misplaced in my opinion.

I worried before seen Il Sorpasso , if the film would look outdated or even unfunny.

It is funny and while it looks outdated in some scenes, my overall impression was extremely positive.
I visited Italy a few times and because I've been in some of the places the film takes place on I enjoyed it even more.
A comedy with depth that describes the everyday life in the 60's in great detail.

A classic!
on 29 September 2011
this is a masterpiece of Italian cinema , and also one of the few films where you can see the beautiful smile of an astonishing actor like J.L. Trintignant. Gassman is superb as an actor, coming from the old school of theatre, one of the few great that a small amount of people know outside Italy , but a legend for the few, just like Anna Magnani, Toto, De Filippo and many more. This dvd is essential for the serious collector, and also for the people who study the art of cinema .
on 21 August 2014
Very entertaining. Trintignant and Gassman are a great team. Takes you back to the booming Italy of the sixties.
on 14 January 2015
Classic italian comedy with serious undertones.
on 20 March 2013
There were no English subtitles with the DVD.
Since I don't speak Italian, my husband and I could not view it.
55 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2014
Saw the film over 40 years ago, and loved it! Very funny, but poignant. A tour-de-force by Vittorio Gassman, and a marvelously studied, developing role by Jean Louis Trintignant. Some day I'll find "Il Sorpasso" (or "the Easy Life") with English subtitles! Or, I could learn Italian just for the sheer joy of that language!