5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!
PROS
1. Sound quality. Highs are crisp, but not too bright; mids are good; bass is punchy and tight. It is difficult to find *better* sounding headphones in this price segment.
2. Build. They are very solidly built and ergonomics are great. There is no complex suspending system, so there is nothing to break.
3. Very comfortable. These are over the ears (as...
Published 8 months ago by Pavel Tsvetkov

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me!
Unfortunately cannot rate them on sound quality as did not even get to try them with music! I took them out of the box, tried them on and put them straight back in the box and returned them,as they were too uncomfortable to wear, due to excessive pressure on the ears (but this could just be my ears and the majority of users could find them perfectly comfortable). Have...
Published 20 days ago by Stephen W

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!, 9 Mar 2014
Pavel Tsvetkov (Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)
PROS
3. Very comfortable. These are over the ears (as opposed to on-ears) headphones, so there is no unpleasant pressure. The new ear pads are very soft, and the headband is enveloped in the same soft material.
4. Portability. Both cups rotate horizontally 180°, and they fold vertically, to make the headphone's dimensions quite small and portable-friendly. The supplied pouch comes in handy.
5. Unlike their predecessors, the ATH-M50X arrive with three detachable cables: a long straight one (you can use it to connect to a source that is further away), a short straight one (very handy when connecting to a smartphone, or if your computer is located very near to where you sit), and a medium-length coiled one (for mixed purposes). The insert-and-turn locking system secures the cable to the left cup.
6. No sound leakage. These are closed-back headphones, so you can use them in a room, filled with people, or while commuting, without the need to worry that you might disturb someone.
7. With an impedance of 38 ohms you do not need a headphone amp to drive them.

CONS
1. Cable connectors are proprietary. But then again you get three cables in the box, so it is unlikely that you will be looking to buy new cables any time soon.
2. At 285 g (10 oz) plus the cable, the ATH-M50X are a little heavier than similar-sized headphones I have owned. But making them lighter would most probably affect build quality.
3. I have watched video reviews, making the argument that the ATH-M50X are not exactly audiophile quality (that is, their response is not as 'flat' and 'neutral', as it should be). This could indeed be the case, as Audio-Technica has other models (like the ATH-A900X), positioned in the higher and more expensive segment, but the latter are not meant to be carried around or enjoyed in the street. In my opinion ATH-M50X have been built to produce enjoyable (rather than analytical) sound. Consider this carefully.

CONCLUSION
When all of the above have been taken into consideration, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X might be the best value for money headphone on the market today.
1. They may not sound as neutral as AKG 702 (but the latter are not portable, there is serious sound leakage, and you cannot drive them adequately with your smartphone).
2. They are not cable-free or as light as the Bluetooth Sony MDR-1BT, but the ATH-M50X sound much better.
3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is the overall winner if you are looking for enjoyable full-bodied sound, sturdy build, detachable cables, and a no-nonsense look. You simply cannot go wrong with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars I cannot over emphasise how much I like these headphones, 1 Nov 2014
Superb headphones. They are very comfortable. Great quality sound. They are widely considered the best (closed back) headphones for this price range by many professional and hobbyist reviewers (hence why I bought them...did my research first).

Personal subjective part of the review:
I'll also add that the clamping force that some mention does not bother me at all. They are incredibly comfortable! I could wear these all day. The rounder ear cups in these (as opposed to oval shaped in other headphones) also accommodate my glasses better; other headphones that sit around the ear push the arms of my glasses into my skull and also force them to reposition on my face (inducing headaches after prolonged use) -- these headphones however do not. It feels as if my glasses sit freely underneath these headphones, and can be repositioned as I see fit, if necessary.

I cannot over emphasise how much I like these headphones. I used to not give a damn (as long as they weren't Apple in-ear buds, then they did the job). But now I have previous headphones to compare against, it has shown me what I have had to endure for years.

Do yourself a favour and invest in decent headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Headphones, 14 May 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
The ATH-M50X really ooze quality. Their sleek design, top notch build quality and performance reflects great attention to detail.

These studio headphones deliver amazing crisp sound with excellent balance from treble to bass whilst retaining loads of detail. I particularly find the bass sounds so deep and only matched by much more expensive headphones. And be it classical or rock, these drivers will handle anything you throw at them with ease, rewarding you with an immersing musical experience.

The ATH-M50X are built to last, thanks to the sturdy materials and solid build quality. The 3 supplied cables are reinforced at the extremities and fit snugly and securely to the headphones.

The other two variants have a non removable cable and are the ATH-M50 which comes with a coiled cable and the ATH-M50s, where "s" means that the cable is straight. All 3 versions produce identical high quality sound.

I simply love these headphones! And at this price, they definitely don't come any better.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars I think I'm getting good value, 8 Sep 2014
I've had these just three days; so this is based on early impressions.

I've got a collection of cheaper headphones that have all somehow disappointed. So I decided to spend a bit more, knowing that I wanted over-ear phones and comfort being a priority - particularly so that I could manage prolonged wear without discomfort. I use phones at my desk, in other settings and on the move.

These cost £108, being a previously opened-box item from Amazon (Sept 2014). So far I'm pleased with my purchase and think I got good value.

The first impression was that they look quite 'chunky', almost industrial-looking and are not particularly light. When I put them on I find it a little irritating that I can feel the headband across the top of my head but I soon forget about it after a couple of minutes wear. I'm a fairly big bloke - 6ft 2 and I presume that my ears are in proportion to the rest of me. These cups fit over my ears well; which hasn't always been the case with over-ear phones in the past. My ears don't touch the speaker cones.

I wear glasses. The phones inevitably push the arms of my glasses in towards the sides of my head and I suspect that prevents them from being as comfortable as they would otherwise be. But they are pretty good and so far I've had no difficult wearing them for an hour or so at a time.

As other reviewers have said, the sound quality seems very good. So far I have used them for listening to music and video. I also will be using them for video editing, and occasionally plugged into my amp when playing guitar, and plugged into my electronic drum kit. I also normally use headphones on the move so I will try these - using the shorter of the three cables - though they are quite big if you're self-conscious about appearance.

I like the three supplied cables. They feel like they will last. The locking feature where the cable plugs into the phones is neat -though I can't say that I've ever had a problem with cables pulling out of phones.

I have a potential use for each of the cables. Having provided three cables the implication from Audio-Technica is that these are phones that can be used in various ways. If that proves to be the case for me I'll add the fifth star when I revisit this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect headphones, 30 Sep 2014
So I originally had Beats pro's... After about 2 days of use and 2 hours max each time I knew instantly I couldn't handle these.... I did extensive research on YouTube, review sites and also reviews on here and came to fine the m50x. My God am I please I brought them!

First of all it came well packaged and protected which was a good start. As I went through to fine the headphones the first thing I'm sure everyone does is feel the padding on the ear cups and headband. It felt like I was touching a could. So soft! Now to listen to the audio...

I currently have the LG G3 and the pre installed music app doesn't sound great through head phones but after owning these my views completely changed. I thought to myself wow if this is good I wonder what power amp is. It totally brought my headphones to life and they haven't even been burned in yet. I'm already thinking this is £120 well spent!

The next day after receiving the headphones I had a 4 hour car journey. Now thinking how comfy these headphones are it should be a breeze. It was! After about the first half our when I could the headphones adjusted to my head I hardly knew they were even there! The ear pads just seem to hover over your ears. I can't put in to words how good these headphones are!

If you're looking for a reasonable price headphones then definitely go for these. I swear down you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best over the ear headphones under £150, 7 Oct 2014
The best over the ear headphones under £150! Went down to west end in London to try so many different over the ear headphones, and it was a battle between the Sony MDR-1 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50X.

I was going to buy headphones for desk use not for outdoors, so style didn't matter for me, if you are style conscious then I'll go for the MDR-1, if you're not then go for the ATH-M50X for the best audio quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it., 10 May 2014
Mr. E. Vrondakis "vrondakis" (Rotherham) - See all my reviews
I've had these for about a month now and I'm very happy with them.
The build quality is very good. They're flexible and can take a beating (dropping ect).
The sound quality is AMAZING, they're very storage friendly, comfortable, stay on and don't leak noise. I take them with me everywhere I go and prefer them to any other headphones I've ever tried.

What are you waiting for?
Definitely worth a buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Snot, 14 Aug 2014
I needed these for monitoring audio in the studio and these perform very well.
crisp highs, perfect mids and tight lows.
These are defiantly the best headphone i have ever owned.
I am hearing stuff in songs i would never have heard on a normal pair of headphones.
These sound just fine without a headphone amp, but a headphone amp will defiantly give you way better audio quality.
I used these in my macbook pro and the headphone amp built in works just fine, When listening to music i would advise getting BOOM eq for mac.
Because these are flat response you kinda have to set the levels yourself.
I have yet to use them in the studio for live recording but i can already tell they are going to handle it just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very capable with great aesthetics, 21 Nov 2014
When I first wore these headphones, I was quite concerned that I had made the wrong decision. They are a heavy pair of cans (which is in no way a negative - it's a sign of good build quality) but I found the headband to be quite uncomfortable on the top of my head. I also found them to be quite restricted in terms of sound, especially at the lower end of the spectrum.

However, after a week of breaking in, I found that the headband issue disappeared and I now find these extremely comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, especially with the wonderfully soft ear padding. Also, they really opened up after a week of use and began to sound far more like an open headphone than a closed back headphone.

The sound reproduction is superb, the bass is tight and both mids and treble really shine. They do leak a bit of noise but you'd likely only this notice in places where it is incredibly quiet. (I probably wouldn't wear them in the library, for example)

They feel very well built and the aesthetic is spot-on. Overall, a very capable and stylish product.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... me and won't have as much bass i would like, but then I tested them without equaliser, 25 Oct 2014
At first i was concerned that these headphones will be to flat for me and won't have as much bass i would like, but then I tested them without equaliser.
I don't know what's wrong with them who thinks that these headphones don't have enough bass, there's just right amount off bass. Trust me! Awesome sound!