5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!
PROS
1. Sound quality. Highs are crisp, but not too bright; mids are good; bass is punchy and tight. It is difficult to find *better* sounding headphones in this price segment.
2. Build. They are very solidly built and ergonomics are great. There is no complex suspending system, so there is nothing to break.
3. Very comfortable. These are over the ears (as...
Published 9 months ago by Pavel Tsvetkov

3.0 out of 5 stars great sound, very uncomfortable
Sound is great, mids are crystal clear and bass is as good as it gets for the price BUT these headphones are absolutely uncomfortable. After extensive use (3+ hours) they can get so uncomfortable to the point where you can't wear them any longer. I am really wondering why other people did not comment on it, maybe it's just me. I loved the sound, but had to return them...
Published 15 hours ago by Constantine66548

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!, 9 Mar 2014
Pavel Tsvetkov (Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)
PROS
3. Very comfortable. These are over the ears (as opposed to on-ears) headphones, so there is no unpleasant pressure. The new ear pads are very soft, and the headband is enveloped in the same soft material.
4. Portability. Both cups rotate horizontally 180°, and they fold vertically, to make the headphone's dimensions quite small and portable-friendly. The supplied pouch comes in handy.
5. Unlike their predecessors, the ATH-M50X arrive with three detachable cables: a long straight one (you can use it to connect to a source that is further away), a short straight one (very handy when connecting to a smartphone, or if your computer is located very near to where you sit), and a medium-length coiled one (for mixed purposes). The insert-and-turn locking system secures the cable to the left cup.
6. No sound leakage. These are closed-back headphones, so you can use them in a room, filled with people, or while commuting, without the need to worry that you might disturb someone.
7. With an impedance of 38 ohms you do not need a headphone amp to drive them.

CONS
1. Cable connectors are proprietary. But then again you get three cables in the box, so it is unlikely that you will be looking to buy new cables any time soon.
2. At 285 g (10 oz) plus the cable, the ATH-M50X are a little heavier than similar-sized headphones I have owned. But making them lighter would most probably affect build quality.
3. I have watched video reviews, making the argument that the ATH-M50X are not exactly audiophile quality (that is, their response is not as 'flat' and 'neutral', as it should be). This could indeed be the case, as Audio-Technica has other models (like the ATH-A900X), positioned in the higher and more expensive segment, but the latter are not meant to be carried around or enjoyed in the street. In my opinion ATH-M50X have been built to produce enjoyable (rather than analytical) sound. Consider this carefully.

CONCLUSION
When all of the above have been taken into consideration, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X might be the best value for money headphone on the market today.
1. They may not sound as neutral as AKG 702 (but the latter are not portable, there is serious sound leakage, and you cannot drive them adequately with your smartphone).
2. They are not cable-free or as light as the Bluetooth Sony MDR-1BT, but the ATH-M50X sound much better.
3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is the overall winner if you are looking for enjoyable full-bodied sound, sturdy build, detachable cables, and a no-nonsense look. You simply cannot go wrong with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars I cannot over emphasise how much I like these headphones, 1 Nov 2014
Superb headphones. They are very comfortable. Great quality sound. They are widely considered the best (closed back) headphones for this price range by many professional and hobbyist reviewers (hence why I bought them...did my research first).

Personal subjective part of the review:
I'll also add that the clamping force that some mention does not bother me at all. They are incredibly comfortable! I could wear these all day. The rounder ear cups in these (as opposed to oval shaped in other headphones) also accommodate my glasses better; other headphones that sit around the ear push the arms of my glasses into my skull and also force them to reposition on my face (inducing headaches after prolonged use) -- these headphones however do not. It feels as if my glasses sit freely underneath these headphones, and can be repositioned as I see fit, if necessary.

I cannot over emphasise how much I like these headphones. I used to not give a damn (as long as they weren't Apple in-ear buds, then they did the job). But now I have previous headphones to compare against, it has shown me what I have had to endure for years.

Do yourself a favour and invest in decent headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars My surprised experience.., 18 Dec 2014
I don't yet consider myself as an audiophile despite the fact I've been always interested in the sound quality delivered by a pair of headphones. This is the first over-ear headphones I own since in the past I preferred the in - ear headphone's ease of portability, upon receiving the M50x I was instantly disappointed and troubled ''How is it possible for so highly recommended headphones with the best reviews out there sound like this?'' There was no much bass, the loudness and sound-stage were nowhere near my expectations for 110 pounds! The following days I searched in forums and re -read positive and negative reviews looking for an explanation before I return them for a refund. (At a point I even concluded they might be a faulty pair) After two or three days of use and intensive search in forums I realized that I was looking at it from the wrong perspective! These are studio headphones destined to reproduce the sound as originally recorded, I started picking up details in songs I haven't previously acknowledged, bass and tremble and other effects do not need to be greatly enhanced. and to be honest for monitor headphones these are kind of really bassy. I decided to keep them and start paying attention to the quality of sound in my music instead of being bombarded by bass and other effects and think that's what makes music good. It does take some time to get used to them depending on what background of headphones you are descending from. Overall, I'm glad because the M50 x offered me the opportunity to distinguish poor and good quality music productions and advance me towards becoming an audiophile. Next step ....buying a portable AMP! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Headphones, 14 May 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
The ATH-M50X really ooze quality. Their sleek design, top notch build quality and performance reflects great attention to detail.

These studio headphones deliver amazing crisp sound with excellent balance from treble to bass whilst retaining loads of detail. I particularly find the bass sounds so deep and only matched by much more expensive headphones. And be it classical or rock, these drivers will handle anything you throw at them with ease, rewarding you with an immersing musical experience.

The ATH-M50X are built to last, thanks to the sturdy materials and solid build quality. The 3 supplied cables are reinforced at the extremities and fit snugly and securely to the headphones.

The other two variants have a non removable cable and are the ATH-M50 which comes with a coiled cable and the ATH-M50s, where "s" means that the cable is straight. All 3 versions produce identical high quality sound.

I simply love these headphones! And at this price, they definitely don't come any better.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to the expectations!, 13 Dec 2014
I expected great things from these headphones looking at the many 5 star ratings and I was mostly not disappointed. The sound quality is amazing for headphones at this price. Highs are crisp, mids are full, and bass is tight and not overpowering. As others have mentioned, these headphones have a flat sound signature. If you're looking for bass heavy headphones, I suggest you look elsewhere.

One minor issue is that they are not as comfortable compared with other headphones but I quickly got used to it. This is in comparison with Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones which are probably one of the most comfortable headphones out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones ever., 21 Dec 2014
Best headphones i've ever had, I've only really had gaming headsets, and having testing headsets like the siberia v2, and the razer kraken, these come out on top.

Pros -
Full sound, feels like its complete surround
Contrary to people saying it has narrow soundstage, I can hear every footstep in FPS games.
Definitely a monitor based feel to the headphones, with that extra boost in bass that doesn't affect the quality or make the bass over the top.
Very high quality sound of course, with lovely sized drivers.
The extra cables and pouch make it great for on the go and having other nice cables to use if ones break.
Very comfortable for up to 5-6 hours of use, may need to have a break, but its humane to do so anyway.
Works great with onboard, mine sounds awesome, I don't know how it could sound any better than what it is now.

Cons -
There really isn't any, I apologise if this review comes out biased, but after having these for about 3-4 months, I really see no bad things about them, other then having to take a break every so often, but like I said, it really isn't a major factor.

Overall for the money, best headphones out there, obviously you would get SLIGHT improvements if you used a extremely expensive pair of headphones and a audio setup, but it really isn't worth it for the slight upgrade, unless you are freakishly into spending £1000+ into an audio setup that could get you a cheap car or a new gaming setup!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great product. Excellent audio as claimed by other reviewers, 5 Oct 2014
Mr. R. J. Parrington "video sear" (Faversham, Kent) - See all my reviews
What a great product. Excellent audio as claimed by other reviewers. Ive been using some old Sony cans for too long, and have been trying to monitor audio from my pre mix d to my GH4. I thought it sounded ok, till I tried these AT headphones. Blimey O Reilly, what a silly billy have I been, neglecting the last link in the chain. I now understand the importance of good headphones, and believe me guys, these are good. Ive always been a slow learner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best over the ear headphones under £150, 7 Oct 2014
The best over the ear headphones under £150! Went down to west end in London to try so many different over the ear headphones, and it was a battle between the Sony MDR-1 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50X.

I was going to buy headphones for desk use not for outdoors, so style didn't matter for me, if you are style conscious then I'll go for the MDR-1, if you're not then go for the ATH-M50X for the best audio quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it., 10 May 2014
Mr. E. Vrondakis "vrondakis" (Rotherham) - See all my reviews
I've had these for about a month now and I'm very happy with them.
The build quality is very good. They're flexible and can take a beating (dropping ect).
The sound quality is AMAZING, they're very storage friendly, comfortable, stay on and don't leak noise. I take them with me everywhere I go and prefer them to any other headphones I've ever tried.

What are you waiting for?
Definitely worth a buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite pair of headphones, 10 Dec 2014
Nice product. I bought it for home use and haven't been disappointed.

Pros:
1. Folds nicely and is easy to store.
2. Various cable lengths for versatility.
3. Comfortable to wear.
4. Immersive, detailed sound. I always feel closer to the music (as if I'm at a real listening session).

Cons:
None.

These are my favourite headphones so far.