5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!, 9 Mar 2014
Pavel Tsvetkov (Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)
PROS
1. Sound quality. Highs are crisp, but not too bright; mids are good; bass is punchy and tight. It is difficult to find *better* sounding headphones in this price segment.
2. Build. They are very solidly built and ergonomics are great. There is no complex suspending system, so there is nothing to break.
3. Very comfortable. These are over the ears (as opposed to on-ears) headphones, so there is no unpleasant pressure. The new ear pads are very soft, and the headband is enveloped in the same soft material.
4. Portability. Both cups rotate horizontally 180°, and they fold vertically, to make the headphone's dimensions quite small and portable-friendly. The supplied pouch comes in handy.
5. Unlike their predecessors, the ATH-M50X arrive with three detachable cables: a long straight one (you can use it to connect to a source that is further away), a short straight one (very handy when connecting to a smartphone, or if your computer is located very near to where you sit), and a medium-length coiled one (for mixed purposes). The insert-and-turn locking system secures the cable to the left cup.
6. No sound leakage. These are closed-back headphones, so you can use them in a room, filled with people, or while commuting, without the need to worry that you might disturb someone.
7. With an impedance of 38 ohms you do not need a headphone amp to drive them.

CONS
1. Cable connectors are proprietary. But then again you get three cables in the box, so it is unlikely that you will be looking to buy new cables any time soon.
2. At 285 g (10 oz) plus the cable, the ATH-M50X are a little heavier than similar-sized headphones I have owned. But making them lighter would most probably affect build quality.
3. I have watched video reviews, making the argument that the ATH-M50X are not exactly audiophile quality (that is, their response is not as 'flat' and 'neutral', as it should be). This could indeed be the case, as Audio-Technica has other models (like the ATH-A900X), positioned in the higher and more expensive segment, but the latter are not meant to be carried around or enjoyed in the street. In my opinion ATH-M50X have been built to produce enjoyable (rather than analytical) sound. Consider this carefully.

CONCLUSION
When all of the above have been taken into consideration, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X might be the best value for money headphone on the market today.
1. They may not sound as neutral as AKG 702 (but the latter are not portable, there is serious sound leakage, and you cannot drive them adequately with your smartphone).
2. They are not cable-free or as light as the Bluetooth Sony MDR-1BT, but the ATH-M50X sound much better.
3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is the overall winner if you are looking for enjoyable full-bodied sound, sturdy build, detachable cables, and a no-nonsense look. You simply cannot go wrong with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Snot, 14 Aug 2014
I needed these for monitoring audio in the studio and these perform very well.
crisp highs, perfect mids and tight lows.
These are defiantly the best headphone i have ever owned.
I am hearing stuff in songs i would never have heard on a normal pair of headphones.
These sound just fine without a headphone amp, but a headphone amp will defiantly give you way better audio quality.
I used these in my macbook pro and the headphone amp built in works just fine, When listening to music i would advise getting BOOM eq for mac.
Because these are flat response you kinda have to set the levels yourself.
I have yet to use them in the studio for live recording but i can already tell they are going to handle it just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Headphones, 14 May 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
The ATH-M50X really ooze quality. Their sleek design, top notch build quality and performance reflects great attention to detail.

These studio headphones deliver amazing crisp sound with excellent balance from treble to bass whilst retaining loads of detail. I particularly find the bass sounds so deep and only matched by much more expensive headphones. And be it classical or rock, these drivers will handle anything you throw at them with ease, rewarding you with an immersing musical experience.

The ATH-M50X are built to last, thanks to the sturdy materials and solid build quality. The 3 supplied cables are reinforced at the extremities and fit snugly and securely to the headphones.

The other two variants have a non removable cable and are the ATH-M50 which comes with a coiled cable and the ATH-M50s, where "s" means that the cable is straight. All 3 versions produce identical high quality sound.

I simply love these headphones! And at this price, they definitely don't come any better.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 1 Jun 2014
Amazing headphones with great sound quality and good build quality, keeping the price in mind. Some thing to keep in mind is that this is a balanced headphone, bass heads might not approve of it, but i love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! High Hopes Exceeded., 25 July 2014
J. Saunders "Supplanter357" (East Anglia) - See all my reviews
I had to write up about these, like everyone else! I was really expecting something from these and I had mega hopes. I ordered the original model first and then cancelled for these. I plugged in to my Mac, opened Spotify (I stream in extreme) and then played a random track.. I was utterly like WTF! I was not expecting this. The sound is incredible to me. So clear and crisp, I don't know why people moan about the bass! These are finally something that make the bass sound part of the music and not boom boom over everything else. There is so much more detail in music now its unreal. I then plugged in a DacMagic XS which I got at the same time and I can't even put it in to words. I have always been really in to my music and had no idea how much I was missing out on. Best money I have ever spent! I am now going to carry on getting merry... Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect headphones, 30 Sep 2014
So I originally had Beats pro's... After about 2 days of use and 2 hours max each time I knew instantly I couldn't handle these.... I did extensive research on YouTube, review sites and also reviews on here and came to fine the m50x. My God am I please I brought them!

First of all it came well packaged and protected which was a good start. As I went through to fine the headphones the first thing I'm sure everyone does is feel the padding on the ear cups and headband. It felt like I was touching a could. So soft! Now to listen to the audio...

I currently have the LG G3 and the pre installed music app doesn't sound great through head phones but after owning these my views completely changed. I thought to myself wow if this is good I wonder what power amp is. It totally brought my headphones to life and they haven't even been burned in yet. I'm already thinking this is £120 well spent!

The next day after receiving the headphones I had a 4 hour car journey. Now thinking how comfy these headphones are it should be a breeze. It was! After about the first half our when I could the headphones adjusted to my head I hardly knew they were even there! The ear pads just seem to hover over your ears. I can't put in to words how good these headphones are!

If you're looking for a reasonable price headphones then definitely go for these. I swear down you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it., 10 May 2014
Mr. E. Vrondakis "vrondakis" (Rotherham) - See all my reviews
I've had these for about a month now and I'm very happy with them.
The build quality is very good. They're flexible and can take a beating (dropping ect).
The sound quality is AMAZING, they're very storage friendly, comfortable, stay on and don't leak noise. I take them with me everywhere I go and prefer them to any other headphones I've ever tried.

What are you waiting for?
Definitely worth a buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully crisp and vibrant sound. Highly recommend, 9 Oct 2014
mike (england united kingdom) - See all my reviews
Best headphones I have ever used. Their overall construction quality is something that you should take note on as these headphone are extremely well built, they wont break easy that's for sure. The customizability with the wires is amazing coming with three different types retro house phone cord type wire (3m) a extended wire which is normal with a 4.5mm adapter for amps and the like (3m). And a shorter wire which I normally use for plugging into a pc which is close to me or my phone when I am riding. There is no sound leaking at all that I've noticed. You can't hear anything on the outside the sound takes over from everything, it true is something I have never experienced with headphones before.

Truly outstanding product and I would buy them again without a shadow of a doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones., 4 July 2014
William A. Sarginson "gojira1975" (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
These are awesome. I'm no audiophile, but these are a world apart from my old headphones and the difference was phenomenal. For the price, these are absolutely awesome. No complaints here whatsoever.

5.0 out of 5 stars big up, 22 Jun 2014
bangin headphones for producing + very strong, removable cable is even more useful than I thought it would be, straight up really good buy and will keep these for a long time