5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!, 9 Mar 2014
Pavel Tsvetkov (Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)
PROS
1. Sound quality. Highs are crisp, but not too bright; mids are good; bass is punchy and tight. It is difficult to find *better* sounding headphones in this price segment.
2. Build. They are very solidly built and ergonomics are great. There is no complex suspending system, so there is nothing to break.
3. Very comfortable. These are over the ears (as opposed to on-ears) headphones, so there is no unpleasant pressure. The new ear pads are very soft, and the headband is enveloped in the same soft material.
4. Portability. Both cups rotate horizontally 180, and they fold vertically, to make the headphone's dimensions quite small and portable-friendly. The supplied pouch comes in handy.
5. Unlike their predecessors, the ATH-M50X arrive with three detachable cables: a long straight one (you can use it to connect to a source that is further away), a short straight one (very handy when connecting to a smartphone, or if your computer is located very near to where you sit), and a medium-length coiled one (for mixed purposes). The insert-and-turn locking system secures the cable to the left cup.
6. No sound leakage. These are closed-back headphones, so you can use them in a room, filled with people, or while commuting, without the need to worry that you might disturb someone.
7. With an impedance of 38 ohms you do not need a headphone amp to drive them.

CONS
1. Cable connectors are proprietary. But then again you get three cables in the box, so it is unlikely that you will be looking to buy new cables any time soon.
2. At 285 g (10 oz) plus the cable, the ATH-M50X are a little heavier than similar-sized headphones I have owned. But making them lighter would most probably affect build quality.
3. I have watched video reviews, making the argument that the ATH-M50X are not exactly audiophile quality (that is, their response is not as 'flat' and 'neutral', as it should be). This could indeed be the case, as Audio-Technica has other models (like the ATH-A900X), positioned in the higher and more expensive segment, but the latter are not meant to be carried around or enjoyed in the street. In my opinion ATH-M50X have been built to produce enjoyable (rather than analytical) sound. Consider this carefully.

CONCLUSION
When all of the above have been taken into consideration, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X might be the best value for money headphone on the market today.
1. They may not sound as neutral as AKG 702 (but the latter are not portable, there is serious sound leakage, and you cannot drive them adequately with your smartphone).
2. They are not cable-free or as light as the Bluetooth Sony MDR-1BT, but the ATH-M50X sound much better.
3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is the overall winner if you are looking for enjoyable full-bodied sound, sturdy build, detachable cables, and a no-nonsense look. You simply cannot go wrong with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for a great price, 2 Aug 2014
I was considering getting the Beats by DRE as that is the craze, but I quickly found out they are overpriced. I found these and the sound is absolutely fantastic.

I listen to Slipknot and Limp Bizkit and you can just hear extra sounds the artist intended you to hear. There is no enhanced bass and everything is perfectly balanced.

I will use these to mix some of my piano songs with my software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Phenomenal., 11 Sep 2014
Now I'm not going to go into the detail of the headphone quality, or any of that. Mainly, because I believe that I could not do the headphones justice with my efforts. There are qualified people you can research for that bit. I'm going to focus on what I believe is truly the point in reviewing it from the customer's side, which is the difference between the M50x's (these) and the M50's (the older model).

The main difference between the 2 is the ability to change the cable used, dependent on the headphone usage. The m50's do not have detachable or changeable cables, they only have one, which I believe is either coiled cable or a 3m cable. Whilst they are monitor/stereo headphones, this is still a hindrance to a large sum of people. Because of the amazing value and brilliance of the M50's (Well done to Audio Technica), these headphones have caught the eye of not only studio-working musicians, or editors/producers, but also of any of the public who enjoy great, natural and realistic sounding headphones at an affordable price (which for a mid-range market, attracts a lot of people). This however meant that using them anywhere else apart from indoors in their own set up was an ongoing war against the lump of coil or 3 metres of cable that came with it, hence either inconveniencing casual wearers for the majority of the time, or restricting them to indoor usage.

When I got the M50's, I ended up using them everyday e.g. going to school, music studies, band practicing. After a few months, I found myself consciously thinking about how bulky the coil cable is. However, the coil cable has got it's uses. And for a musician, those uses were and are very real. The annoying confliction.

The M50x's come with 3 interchangeable cables. a coiled cable, a 3m cable, and a 1.2m cable.

What the M50x's have done, has basically alleviated me of every possible problem I could think of with these headphones, and you can imagine that when I head of these from a friend, I bought them nearly instantly. I am truly grateful to Audio Technica for fixing a seemingly negligible irk of mine, but has nevertheless been a minor complaint.

This is not the only thing they have changed, though. There are very subtle but existing design changes from the original M50's that have also, in my opinion, improved the headphones. The feel of the leather on the earcups, the size of the earcups vs the size of the ear space has decreased, meaning the earcups are more compact without the downside of having a smaller amount of ear space, the M50x's are also slightly lighter and more flexible.

Apart from the differences, the quality of the headphones are incomparable to those anywhere near it's price, 10/10 would recommend either the M50's or the M50x's (because I know that now the M50's are cheaper).

4.0 out of 5 stars I think I'm getting good value, 8 Sep 2014
I've had these just three days; so this is based on early impressions.

I've got a collection of cheaper headphones that have all somehow disappointed. So I decided to spend a bit more, knowing that I wanted over-ear phones and comfort being a priority - particularly so that I could manage prolonged wear without discomfort. I use phones at my desk, in other settings and on the move.

These cost 108, being a previously opened-box item from Amazon (Sept 2014). So far I'm pleased with my purchase and think I got good value.

The first impression was that they look quite 'chunky', almost industrial-looking and are not particularly light. When I put them on I find it a little irritating that I can feel the headband across the top of my head but I soon forget about it after a couple of minutes wear. I'm a fairly big bloke - 6ft 2 and I presume that my ears are in proportion to the rest of me. These cups fit over my ears well; which hasn't always been the case with over-ear phones in the past. My ears don't touch the speaker cones.

I wear glasses. The phones inevitably push the arms of my glasses in towards the sides of my head and I suspect that prevents them from being as comfortable as they would otherwise be. But they are pretty good and so far I've had no difficult wearing them for an hour or so at a time.

As other reviewers have said, the sound quality seems very good. So far I have used them for listening to music and video. I also will be using them for video editing, and occasionally plugged into my amp when playing guitar, and plugged into my electronic drum kit. I also normally use headphones on the move so I will try these - using the shorter of the three cables - though they are quite big if you're self-conscious about appearance.

I like the three supplied cables. They feel like they will last. The locking feature where the cable plugs into the phones is neat -though I can't say that I've ever had a problem with cables pulling out of phones.

I have a potential use for each of the cables. Having provided three cables the implication from Audio-Technica is that these are phones that can be used in various ways. If that proves to be the case for me I'll add the fifth star when I revisit this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Headphones, 14 May 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The ATH-M50X really ooze quality. Their sleek design, top notch build quality and performance reflects great attention to detail.

These studio headphones deliver amazing crisp sound with excellent balance from treble to bass whilst retaining loads of detail. I particularly find the bass sounds so deep and only matched by much more expensive headphones. And be it classical or rock, these drivers will handle anything you throw at them with ease, rewarding you with an immersing musical experience.

The ATH-M50X are built to last, thanks to the sturdy materials and solid build quality. The 3 supplied cables are reinforced at the extremities and fit snugly and securely to the headphones.

The other two variants have a non removable cable and are the ATH-M50 which comes with a coiled cable and the ATH-M50s, where "s" means that the cable is straight. All 3 versions produce identical high quality sound.

I simply love these headphones! And at this price, they definitely don't come any better.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium headphones at bargain price, 11 Sep 2014
L. Walker (UK) - See all my reviews
Whenever I decide to purchase electronics I always do extensive research into which product would be best for my needs and within my price budget. I review all customer reviews on Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com, blog and tech website reviews etc. and where possible, will go to stores in person to try/test things out. I always look at the negative reviews and see if I can spot common themes or problems, I go to the highly positive reviews and try and identify which are genuine. Finally, I go through all the 2, 3 and 4 star reviews as these seem to the be the most informative and have specific reasons as to why they didn't get a 1 or 5 star review.

My budget for some over-ear headphones was about 250. I wanted something with a good, reliable build quality and also decent sound. I'm no audio expert but I know what sounds good and what doesn't (they are my ears afterall!). I looked at the B&W headphones (fantastic styling/quality - but overpriced for what you get), Beats (again, you're paying for a name...) and various other 'top end' headphones within or around the 250 mark.

As stated earlier, after extensive research I settled for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and wow I'm so glad I did. I paid 124 for them and I thought that because of the low price I'd be settling for lower sound quality than some of the higher priced headphones. But I was wrong. And all the positive reviews praising the sound quality were correct and justifiable.

Although built with plastic (I'd have maybe preferred them to feel a little more durable - but it means they are light and good to travel with), they feel good to hold, they are comfortable and can be worn for long periods of time.

The packaging was professional and to a high standard, very nicely packaged internally also.

The three cables supplied with the headphones are extremely useful. They can be swapped depending on what you need. The box does indeed come with the following:

Carry bag
1.2m-3m coiled cable
3m straight cable
1.2m short straight cable
Gold plated 6.3mm adapter

I can sit in my lounge 3 metres away from my TV and watch films with high sound quality without waking up my other half (which was one reason I wanted them!).

The PS3 Blu-ray sound on my TV is pretty bad, it's often very difficult to hear dialogue. When your other half is in bed and you turn the volume up to hear people talk, it's not great when something explodes and wakes everybody in the house up! With these headphones the sound is perfectly balanced when using it with the PS3. No mow volume adjustments needed constantly.

I've played all sorts of music through them and the sound is crisp and clear. Great bass also. I've been able to hear fine details in some songs that I've not been able to notice in other in-ear headphones.

I've also taken them outside with me and travelled around the underground in London etc. and they do a good job of blocking out background noise (without isolating you completely).

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the headphones and if you're looking for a decent pair like I was (for any type of use) then these are an absolute bargain. Sometimes it pays to shop around and not settle for what everybody else seems to go for (Beats for example!), and in this case, shopping around has paid off.

P.S. I'm writing this review several months after owning them for several months with at least 12 hours usage a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! High Hopes Exceeded., 25 July 2014
J. Saunders "Supplanter357" (East Anglia) - See all my reviews
I had to write up about these, like everyone else! I was really expecting something from these and I had mega hopes. I ordered the original model first and then cancelled for these. I plugged in to my Mac, opened Spotify (I stream in extreme) and then played a random track.. I was utterly like WTF! I was not expecting this. The sound is incredible to me. So clear and crisp, I don't know why people moan about the bass! These are finally something that make the bass sound part of the music and not boom boom over everything else. There is so much more detail in music now its unreal. I then plugged in a DacMagic XS which I got at the same time and I can't even put it in to words. I have always been really in to my music and had no idea how much I was missing out on. Best money I have ever spent! I am now going to carry on getting merry... Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Snot, 14 Aug 2014
I needed these for monitoring audio in the studio and these perform very well.
crisp highs, perfect mids and tight lows.
These are defiantly the best headphone i have ever owned.
I am hearing stuff in songs i would never have heard on a normal pair of headphones.
These sound just fine without a headphone amp, but a headphone amp will defiantly give you way better audio quality.
I used these in my macbook pro and the headphone amp built in works just fine, When listening to music i would advise getting BOOM eq for mac.
Because these are flat response you kinda have to set the levels yourself.
I have yet to use them in the studio for live recording but i can already tell they are going to handle it just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 1 Jun 2014
Amazing headphones with great sound quality and good build quality, keeping the price in mind. Some thing to keep in mind is that this is a balanced headphone, bass heads might not approve of it, but i love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones., 4 July 2014
William A. Sarginson "gojira1975" (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
These are awesome. I'm no audiophile, but these are a world apart from my old headphones and the difference was phenomenal. For the price, these are absolutely awesome. No complaints here whatsoever.