5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!
PROS
1. Sound quality. Highs are crisp, but not too bright; mids are good; bass is punchy and tight. It is difficult to find *better* sounding headphones in this price segment.
2. Build. They are very solidly built and ergonomics are great. There is no complex suspending system, so there is nothing to break.
3. Very comfortable. These are over the ears (as...
Published 14 months ago by Pavel Tsvetkov

3.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, depending on how you're going to use them.
The sound and all is great, but after wearing for any time longer than an hour it got uncomfortable around my ears and across the top of my head where the headset laid. Ended up returning these, but I can see them still being worth the money under different circumstances.
Published 4 months ago by William

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!, 9 Mar. 2014
Pavel Tsvetkov (Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)
PROS
3. Very comfortable. These are over the ears (as opposed to on-ears) headphones, so there is no unpleasant pressure. The new ear pads are very soft, and the headband is enveloped in the same soft material.
4. Portability. Both cups rotate horizontally 180°, and they fold vertically, to make the headphone's dimensions quite small and portable-friendly. The supplied pouch comes in handy.
5. Unlike their predecessors, the ATH-M50X arrive with three detachable cables: a long straight one (you can use it to connect to a source that is further away), a short straight one (very handy when connecting to a smartphone, or if your computer is located very near to where you sit), and a medium-length coiled one (for mixed purposes). The insert-and-turn locking system secures the cable to the left cup.
6. No sound leakage. These are closed-back headphones, so you can use them in a room, filled with people, or while commuting, without the need to worry that you might disturb someone.
7. With an impedance of 38 ohms you do not need a headphone amp to drive them.

CONS
1. Cable connectors are proprietary. But then again you get three cables in the box, so it is unlikely that you will be looking to buy new cables any time soon.
2. At 285 g (10 oz) plus the cable, the ATH-M50X are a little heavier than similar-sized headphones I have owned. But making them lighter would most probably affect build quality.
3. I have watched video reviews, making the argument that the ATH-M50X are not exactly audiophile quality (that is, their response is not as 'flat' and 'neutral', as it should be). This could indeed be the case, as Audio-Technica has other models (like the ATH-A900X), positioned in the higher and more expensive segment, but the latter are not meant to be carried around or enjoyed in the street. In my opinion ATH-M50X have been built to produce enjoyable (rather than analytical) sound. Consider this carefully.

CONCLUSION
When all of the above have been taken into consideration, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X might be the best value for money headphone on the market today.
1. They may not sound as neutral as AKG 702 (but the latter are not portable, there is serious sound leakage, and you cannot drive them adequately with your smartphone).
2. They are not cable-free or as light as the Bluetooth Sony MDR-1BT, but the ATH-M50X sound much better.
3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is the overall winner if you are looking for enjoyable full-bodied sound, sturdy build, detachable cables, and a no-nonsense look. You simply cannot go wrong with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, Crystal Clear, Punchy Base and great fun to listen to!!!, 3 Jun. 2014
I have have probably reviewed most headphones in mainstream electronic stores in the UK which include brands from Bose all the way to Beats, Sennheiser to Bang and Olufsen, AKG to Sony and can absolutely say that these are absolutely my favorite pair of headphones I have ever heard under the £350 price tag (not to say I have actually heard anything above that)!

In a nutshell, these headphones have a fantastically well balanced, detailed and powerful sound not heard all together in one single headphone. The highs are detailed, crystal clear but not to over powering, the mids are very well represented with a natural sound and the base is detailed, punchy and can be very fun if you decide to crank it up a bit!

Close your eyes and these headphones help you believe that you are their with the musician. These are seemingly a very technically advanced headphone which truly does well across all music genres I have listened to (Rock, Techno, Dance, Pop, Classical

I will however leave you with a note of caution, these headphones represent the audio very clearly, therefore if you have a poor quality audio track, then you will hear the poor quality in all more detail, however if you have a high quality audio track, boy are you be in for a treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING Value For Money! Nothing to beat them at double their price!, 22 Dec. 2014
Whilst working away on tour in the US & Canada I started thinking about treating myself to a new pair of headphones ready for returning home to a package containing my new Pono hi-res music player.

Earlier in the year I had purchased a pair on Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear headphones. I have always liked the sound, style & build quality of Sennheiser but having clocked up a lot of listening hours with the Momentums whilst away, I felt the low end on this model was somewhat too warm / fuzzy / unfocused … I hope you get the general idea I’m trying to put over ; )

Many people kept suggesting Grado models for the sound I was hoping to achieve. Now I also love the sound and style of Grados BUT their open back design is a complete non-starter for me! A closed back design with minimal sound leakage (IN & OUT) is essential for me if I am to avoid drive fellow colleagues travelling with me on tour buses crazy or when I want to listen to some jazz at home (“j-a-z-z” being the only four letter word that offends my wife). So, unfortunately, Grado = NoNo.

Towards the end of my trip I headed to The Headphone Bar in Vancouver ready & willing to spend up to around $500 to $600 (£300 to £400), maybe more, for something that offered the WOW! factor.

Being a specialist headphone emporium rather than one covering all aspects of hi-fi, The Headphone Bar have a very impressive array of products; Grado, Beyer Dynamic, Sennheiser, AKG, B&O, etc.

Having read lots of reviews and articles prior to my visit (I know that one should always treat reviews with a certain amount of scepticism but they can be very useful in pointing one in the right direction in a market with so many possibilities), I thought that one of the models in the Beyerdynamic range may well be THE ones … possibly the T70P.

However, having listened to several Beyer models (T51i, T70P, T90) it was clear that they were not to my taste. These all featured Beyer’s Tesla technology and to my ears all sounded harsh, tinny & thin with no low end “Ooompf” whatsoever. I’m no drum & bass fan, but I do like a solid bass line and good attack on drums. (I know the Tesla models need to be run-in but these were all display models that had had plenty of run-in time).

I also tried the Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ears which whilst representing a step-up from my existing On-Ears shared much of the Momentum sound characteristics.

The B&O H6 sounded quite nice but for me did not warrant their price tag.

Next were some models from V-Moda that I had not heard before. Their M100 model was far more the sound I had been looking for although I wasn’t particularly taken by their design & looks … but a possible nevertheless. Added to the shortlist.

I then happened to pick up the Audio Technica ATH-M50x phones which I hadn’t previously tried as they were in very much the same price bracket as my existing Sennheisers.

The immediate WOW! factor was there from the first few bars of Foo Fighter’s Congregation; solid, rich low end (without being overblown), crystal clear high-end (without being harsh), a great soundstage and a wonderful sense of space around all the instruments.

I’m a drummer, so I tend to always notice how drums sound on recordings. With the ATH-M50x phones kick drums had far more attack and depth than on my Sennheiser Momentums and snare drums and cymbals had great resonance and space around them. Some test tracks featuring Messrs Peart, Hawkins & Collins all sounded fantastic.

I have a very broad taste in music and so tried out the ATH-M50x’s with some Foo Fighters, Nick Drake, Rush, Bob Marley, Genesis, Gregory Porter & Debussy … everything sounded amazing!

SOLD!

The comfort factor was also there; even for a glasses wearer. Over the last few days of my travels I listened to LOTS of music on my MacBook Pro and iPhone and didn’t experience either ’tired’ ears or any discomfort from prolonged wearing of these phones. With an iPhone some people might want them to go a little bit louder if you are into metal or dance music, but a Pono player only needs the volume at around 50% for PLENTY of volume.

There is no in-built mic/remote on any of the supplied cables but that’s not a big issue for me as I usually also carry a set on Klipsch in-ears with me as well.

… and the WOW! factor was taken to another level when I got home and plugged the ATH-M50x’s into my Pono!

Audio Technica market this model as professional studio monitor headphone rather than for domestic use (on their website it shows under the MONITOR category rather than the Hi-Fi category), so you may need to do a little hunting to find them, but it is definitely worth it.

Anyone in the market for closed back headphones up to $600 / £400 should definitely audition this product!

For me, this model represents AMAZING value for money … I was willing to spend more than double the price of the ATH-M50x’s but couldn’t find anything that (to my ears) bettered this model.

Official Website:

Example Prices:

Sennheiser Momentum On-ear £170 rrp but typically around £130

Audio Technica ATH-M50x £180 rrp but typically around £130

Beyer Dynamic T70p £456 but typically around £385

V-Moda M100 £250 rep but typically around £220

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to throw all my other headphones in the bin..., 23 April 2015
I bought these headphones based on reviews when I was on the lookout for a good pair of headphones. Money wasn't really a factor and would have been willing to go upto £300 for something decent. I'm not an audiophile and can't tell you anything about crispy highs and lows or anything in between for that matter.

What I can tell you is that I am a spectacle wearer and always find comfort an issue with headphones, however, with the M50x this isn't a problem at all and I can wear them for 3 hours plus with no problems. The over ear style is very easy to wear. Like putting your slippers on.

In terms of audio performance, all I can say is that I cannot use any other pair of in ear or over ear phones now because everything sounds so terrible. I heard new things in music I've had for years. Its frustrating to use anything else because I know how good the music can be.

The only thing that would make these any better would be the inclusion of some type of hard case, but that is rectifiable cheaply elsewhere.

Overall, they've reignited my love for music, I feel like I got good value for money, and I will never wear a cheap pair of headphones again.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL, PRACTICAL, HEADPHONES DELIVERING TRUE HIGH FIDELITY, 6 May 2015
These headphones are quite outstanding in their ability to deliver true Hi-Fi provided of course you feed them with sufficiently good source material. You will hear all kinds of sounds and instruments which previously you never noticed. And despite however much bass or sharp treble is fed into them they simply seem to refuse to deliver anything other than firm, true bass and smooth treble. The overall experience is wonderful. They are also sensitive enough (99dB into 38 ohms impedance) to be easily driven by even small portable audio players and I have recently used my ATH-M50X's with a new Sony Walkman NWZA-15A "High Res" player with excellent results and plenty of volume (see my Review on the ATH-M50X elsewhere on Amazon). In addition, these headphones will fold up into a compact space - enabling them to be used with a portable player - and the "M50X" variety comes with three different types of detachable connecting cords to cover all possibilities (long, short, springy, etc!). The (very comfortable) ear pads can get a little hot after extended listening but that's what over-ear headphones do whatever their make and it's well worth it for the sound you can experience through them. On-ear or in-ear alternatives would be cooler (for use with the Sony Walkman for example, with which I'm sure they would work fine) but I doubt if the sound experience could be quite this good. You can buy replacement ear pads from Audio Technica if you think this could be a problem for you.
Build quality is very good and, all in all, these ATH-M50X headphones are well recommended and difficult to beat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, depending on how you're going to use them., 12 Jan. 2015

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality and no leaking of sound, 24 Jan. 2015
Excellent sound quality and no leaking of sound.Sits comfortably on your head and ears.Only inconvenience is that you have to twist and turn the ear pieces to align correctly before you wear them.But the quality outweighs this inconvenience.I am very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sound that both the drum kit and the headphones produce is fantastic. It sounds just like a real drum kit, 3 April 2015
I bought these headphones for my Roland Electric drum kit. The sound that both the drum kit and the headphones produce is fantastic. It sounds just like a real drum kit. I was so impressed with the headphones that I now use them to listen to my music. The range is quite brilliant. The sound is crystal clear. The one thing I would say is that these are not bassey headphones. The bass is well balanced with everything else and they are perfect for me so if you like a bit more bass with your headphones then these aren't for you.
These headphones are the comfiest headphones I've ever had. I can use them for hours on end without any discomfort. Another thing is that they do leak sound. My girlfriend has complained a few times that she can hear them. I do listen to music at full blast and I know that these headphones weren't made to cancel sound out.
I also believe in 'breaking in headphones'. The more I've used them the better they sound and also the louder they are the better they sound. They really do pack a punch!
The seller was brilliant as well. They came next day and there was no problems what so ever.
So overall very pleased with my purchase and don't hesitate getting these, just buy them!!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... about three months now and they just keep getting better!!, 19 May 2015
I have had them for about three months now and they just keep getting better !!!
If you are looking at these and reading these reviews your are on the right track and have clearly done your research as did I and believe me you will not be dissapointed.
If you want Bass heavy headphones go with beats and have fun but if you are grown up and want all the detail as well as real bass not over emphasized unrealistic bass then these are for you.
Also burn-in is real and does play a role in getting the most out of your new headphones, I would start off with pink noise 5min on 30sec off looped at low volume for 24 hours, same again on medium volume for 24 hours then repeat again on slightly above normal volume again for 24 hours.
Then introduce brown noise at normal volume for 24-72 hours after which just play your normal music or even better a white,pink and brown noise loop with other synths and freqs.
Had bought for a friend who said they were too tight which they are at first but they will mould to your head after a while, he didnt listen to me and wanted them returned but he has missed out big time ! just dont be put off if they dont fit right straight away !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality headphones, fantastic clear sound, bit on the bulky side., 9 Feb. 2015
Neil Clarkson - See all my reviews
Very crisp and clear sound, with good bass. I use them for music and watching noisy films, and the sound quality for both is outstanding. Good volume when connected to iPad and iPhone devices. Nice, sturdy quality feel to them. The headphones come with three cords: 1.2 metre straight, 3 metre straight, and a 3 metre coiled with a larger jack connector. Lead jacks lock into the headphones to stop them being pulled out. Headphones are over-ear with a nice comfortable sound-dampening seal. I've been wearing them with glasses on and they are still very comfortable. When not in use they can be folded down and stored in a good quality bag that came in the box.

The only drawback might be how bulky they are when worn. Not a problem for me using them in the house, and I quite like the bulky look, but might not suit if you wanted something a bit more discreet when you're out and about.

Amazon Standard delivery very quick, came in a large box with some padding around the package.

If you're looking for ~£100 headphones I strongly recommend these.