5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!
PROS
1. Sound quality. Highs are crisp, but not too bright; mids are good; bass is punchy and tight. It is difficult to find *better* sounding headphones in this price segment.
2. Build. They are very solidly built and ergonomics are great. There is no complex suspending system, so there is nothing to break.
3. Portability. Both cups rotate horizontally...
Published 16 months ago by Pavel Tsvetkov

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but uncomfortable and no mids
Very good lows and highs, however there are hardly any mids so (in my opinion) you don't get the best experience. The sound quality is great for its price however this bassy sound isn't for everyone. The main downside is the comfort, the clamp is too tight and the pads aren't very filled.
Published 6 months ago by Ben kuson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!, 9 Mar. 2014
Pavel Tsvetkov (Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)
PROS
3. Portability. Both cups rotate horizontally 180°, and they fold vertically, to make the headphone's dimensions quite small and portable-friendly. The supplied pouch comes in handy.
4. Unlike their predecessors, the ATH-M50X arrive with three detachable cables: a long straight one (you can use it to connect to a source that is further away), a short straight one (very handy when connecting to a smartphone, or if your computer is located very near to where you sit), and a medium-length coiled one (for mixed purposes). The insert-and-turn locking system secures the cable to the left cup.
5. No sound leakage. These are closed-back headphones, so you can use them in a room, filled with people, or while commuting, without the need to worry that you might disturb someone.
6. With an impedance of 38 ohms you do not need a headphone amp to drive them.

CONS
1. Cable connectors are proprietary. But then again you get three cables in the box, so it is unlikely that you will be looking to buy new cables any time soon.
2. At 285 g (10 oz) plus the cable, the ATH-M50X are a little heavier than similar-sized headphones I have owned. But making them lighter would most probably affect build quality.
3. I have watched video reviews, making the argument that the ATH-M50X are not exactly audiophile quality (that is, their response is not as 'flat' and 'neutral', as it should be). This could indeed be the case, as Audio-Technica has other models (like the ATH-A900X), positioned in the higher and more expensive segment, but the latter are not meant to be carried around or enjoyed in the street. In my opinion ATH-M50X have been built to produce enjoyable (rather than analytical) sound. Consider this carefully.
4. Comfort is good, but not great. These are actually on-ear headphones, so they do press on your ears. They are sturdy, but also a bit heavy and rigid. This is difficult to convey in words, but I had a chance to compare them to Philips Fidelio X2 (true over-the-ears headphones), whose cups are so big that your ears completely fit inside and comfort-wise Fidelio are the clear winner.

CONCLUSION
When all of the above have been taken into consideration, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X might be the best value for money headphone on the market today.
1. They may not sound as neutral as AKG 702 (but the latter are not portable, there is serious sound leakage, and you cannot drive them adequately with your smartphone).
2. They are not cable-free or as light as the Bluetooth Sony MDR-1BT, but the ATH-M50X sound much better.
3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is the overall winner if you are looking for enjoyable full-bodied sound, sturdy build, detachable cables, and a no-nonsense look. You simply cannot go wrong with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING Value For Money! Nothing to beat them at double their price!, 22 Dec. 2014
Whilst working away on tour in the US & Canada I started thinking about treating myself to a new pair of headphones ready for returning home to a package containing my new Pono hi-res music player.

Earlier in the year I had purchased a pair on Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear headphones. I have always liked the sound, style & build quality of Sennheiser but having clocked up a lot of listening hours with the Momentums whilst away, I felt the low end on this model was somewhat too warm / fuzzy / unfocused … I hope you get the general idea I’m trying to put over ; )

Many people kept suggesting Grado models for the sound I was hoping to achieve. Now I also love the sound and style of Grados BUT their open back design is a complete non-starter for me! A closed back design with minimal sound leakage (IN & OUT) is essential for me if I am to avoid drive fellow colleagues travelling with me on tour buses crazy or when I want to listen to some jazz at home (“j-a-z-z” being the only four letter word that offends my wife). So, unfortunately, Grado = NoNo.

Towards the end of my trip I headed to The Headphone Bar in Vancouver ready & willing to spend up to around $500 to $600 (£300 to £400), maybe more, for something that offered the WOW! factor.

Being a specialist headphone emporium rather than one covering all aspects of hi-fi, The Headphone Bar have a very impressive array of products; Grado, Beyer Dynamic, Sennheiser, AKG, B&O, etc.

Having read lots of reviews and articles prior to my visit (I know that one should always treat reviews with a certain amount of scepticism but they can be very useful in pointing one in the right direction in a market with so many possibilities), I thought that one of the models in the Beyerdynamic range may well be THE ones … possibly the T70P.

However, having listened to several Beyer models (T51i, T70P, T90) it was clear that they were not to my taste. These all featured Beyer’s Tesla technology and to my ears all sounded harsh, tinny & thin with no low end “Ooompf” whatsoever. I’m no drum & bass fan, but I do like a solid bass line and good attack on drums. (I know the Tesla models need to be run-in but these were all display models that had had plenty of run-in time).

I also tried the Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ears which whilst representing a step-up from my existing On-Ears shared much of the Momentum sound characteristics.

The B&O H6 sounded quite nice but for me did not warrant their price tag.

Next were some models from V-Moda that I had not heard before. Their M100 model was far more the sound I had been looking for although I wasn’t particularly taken by their design & looks … but a possible nevertheless. Added to the shortlist.

I then happened to pick up the Audio Technica ATH-M50x phones which I hadn’t previously tried as they were in very much the same price bracket as my existing Sennheisers.

The immediate WOW! factor was there from the first few bars of Foo Fighter’s Congregation; solid, rich low end (without being overblown), crystal clear high-end (without being harsh), a great soundstage and a wonderful sense of space around all the instruments.

I’m a drummer, so I tend to always notice how drums sound on recordings. With the ATH-M50x phones kick drums had far more attack and depth than on my Sennheiser Momentums and snare drums and cymbals had great resonance and space around them. Some test tracks featuring Messrs Peart, Hawkins & Collins all sounded fantastic.

I have a very broad taste in music and so tried out the ATH-M50x’s with some Foo Fighters, Nick Drake, Rush, Bob Marley, Genesis, Gregory Porter & Debussy … everything sounded amazing!

SOLD!

The comfort factor was also there; even for a glasses wearer. Over the last few days of my travels I listened to LOTS of music on my MacBook Pro and iPhone and didn’t experience either ’tired’ ears or any discomfort from prolonged wearing of these phones. With an iPhone some people might want them to go a little bit louder if you are into metal or dance music, but a Pono player only needs the volume at around 50% for PLENTY of volume.

There is no in-built mic/remote on any of the supplied cables but that’s not a big issue for me as I usually also carry a set on Klipsch in-ears with me as well.

… and the WOW! factor was taken to another level when I got home and plugged the ATH-M50x’s into my Pono!

Audio Technica market this model as professional studio monitor headphone rather than for domestic use (on their website it shows under the MONITOR category rather than the Hi-Fi category), so you may need to do a little hunting to find them, but it is definitely worth it.

Anyone in the market for closed back headphones up to $600 / £400 should definitely audition this product!

For me, this model represents AMAZING value for money … I was willing to spend more than double the price of the ATH-M50x’s but couldn’t find anything that (to my ears) bettered this model.

Official Website:

Example Prices:

Sennheiser Momentum On-ear £170 rrp but typically around £130

Audio Technica ATH-M50x £180 rrp but typically around £130

Beyer Dynamic T70p £456 but typically around £385

V-Moda M100 £250 rep but typically around £220

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, Crystal Clear, Punchy Base and great fun to listen to!!!, 3 Jun. 2014
I have have probably reviewed most headphones in mainstream electronic stores in the UK which include brands from Bose all the way to Beats, Sennheiser to Bang and Olufsen, AKG to Sony and can absolutely say that these are absolutely my favorite pair of headphones I have ever heard under the £350 price tag (not to say I have actually heard anything above that)!

In a nutshell, these headphones have a fantastically well balanced, detailed and powerful sound not heard all together in one single headphone. The highs are detailed, crystal clear but not to over powering, the mids are very well represented with a natural sound and the base is detailed, punchy and can be very fun if you decide to crank it up a bit!

Close your eyes and these headphones help you believe that you are their with the musician. These are seemingly a very technically advanced headphone which truly does well across all music genres I have listened to (Rock, Techno, Dance, Pop, Classical

I will however leave you with a note of caution, these headphones represent the audio very clearly, therefore if you have a poor quality audio track, then you will hear the poor quality in all more detail, however if you have a high quality audio track, boy are you be in for a treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Quality, 14 May 2014
Antoine (Malta) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
The ATH-M50X really ooze quality. Their sleek design, top notch build quality and performance reflects great attention to detail.

These studio headphones deliver amazing crisp sound with excellent balance from treble to bass whilst retaining loads of detail. I particularly find the bass sounds so deep and only matched by much more expensive headphones. And be it classical or rock, these drivers will handle anything you throw at them with ease, rewarding you with an immersing musical experience.

The ATH-M50X are built to last, thanks to the sturdy materials and solid build quality. The 3 supplied cables are reinforced at the extremities and fit snugly and securely to the headphones.

The other two variants have a non removable cable and are the ATH-M50 which comes with a coiled cable and the ATH-M50s, where "s" means that the cable is straight. All 3 versions produce identical high quality sound.

I simply love these headphones! And at this price, they definitely don't come any better.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars In ear beats which I love and have had for a few years, 19 Jun. 2015
I have sennheiser momentum 2 , In ear beats which I love and have had for a few years , Jabra move and the ATH-M50X and the M50X are just better sound quality in my opinion.
If you have an DAC , ie sound blaster E3 headphone amp and run iTunes on iPad or iPod through it the ATH-M50X gives the best all round performance crisp and clear and not harsh at the high end like the sennheiser .
Sennheiser £260, ATH-M50X £97 , Sennheiser better build quality and more comfortable but not £163 better .
The reviews are right they are very good and competitively priced, if beats studio sounded like these they would be worth the £260-270 price tag and if the ATH-M50X looked,felt better and had the marketing like beats everyone would have them, Cross beats studio and ATH-M50X and you would have the perfect headphone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny., 26 July 2015
I spent a long time looking for some quality headphones with a flat frequency response at a reasonable price, eventually biting the bullet and ordering these. I previously owned a pair of Sennheiser HD201s which are fantastic headphones for the price.

Initially when trying these headphones I was somewhat underwhelmed, but I think that's due to my unrealistic expectation that they would somehow make the music 'better'. The bass was louder in the mix than with my previous headphones but not very well defined. The trebles were clearer and I felt that the mid-range was recessed. I didn't panic because I had faith in the existence of the 'burn in' period (I know others will disagree with me). I continued to listen for a couple of hours and then did the same each day. Within a week I was more-or-less over the moon with the M50s! The bass got punchier and was no longer over exaggerated, the mids weren't as recessed (but still seemed to lack a little - but never mind, can't expect perfect for this price!) and the high sound fantastic. The sound-stage is also pretty impressive for closed headphones.

In addition to all this, the included cables are of excellent quality, the headphones feel sturdy - not too tight, not too heavy.
I mostly listen to artist such as Alter Bridge, Biffy Clyro, Don Broco, BMTH, Rise Against, Enter Shikari etc. They all sound fantastic and so do all other genres.
It is worth noting that if used for car journeys, the background noise of the engine will have the effect of removing a lot of low end from the headphones (a simple EQ can fix this to a degree).

Overall I highly recommend these headphones, give them a chance if you're not immediately impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones for the price, 22 May 2015
These are the best headphones you can possibly buy in this price range. They sound amazing, regardless of whether you're listening from your phone, computer, or through a headphone amplifier. They have a very pleasant, fun sound - perhaps not the most neutral signature, but definitely very, very fun to listen to. Both trebles, mid tones and bass are all present and well-balanced. Additionally they are very comfortable and don't cause ear fatigue even during long listening sessions. Nobody should be disappointed with these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headsets, but you can get cheaper ones without any noticeable difference, 28 April 2015
I've owned them for half a year now. It's a good pair of headsets. They are definitely very durable, but the sound quality in my opinion isn't worth it for the price when you compare it to a half price pair of headsets. I also occasionally get a loud bass burst if I am playing a game while listening to music. Not sure if this is because of my sound card or the headsets, but it's definitely annoying and very disturbing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 29 Jun. 2015
These are excellent Headphones. I have primarily used Sennheiser HD419 in the past and felt that many other more expensive Headphones were not worth the extra cost. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X are a dramatic step up and the sound is fantastic! I also find them very good for audio books and films etc., but when listening to music they come into their own. I am really pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitoring headphones!, 16 Jan. 2015
absolutely amazing quality, very clear and flat response, which is perfect for audio monitoring!
people often complain about comfort issues, as of owning this. I've not come into any comfort issues, it's a matter of positioning the headphones in a way, so that it doesn't sit lopsided on your head, I normally have it on 2 stops from the base height for my personal comfort.