5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!
PROS
1. Sound quality. Highs are crisp, but not too bright; mids are good; bass is punchy and tight. It is difficult to find *better* sounding headphones in this price segment.
2. Build. They are very solidly built and ergonomics are great. There is no complex suspending system, so there is nothing to break.
3. Very comfortable. These are over the ears (as...
Published 12 months ago by Pavel Tsvetkov

2.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE if you have a big head.
The sound quality is amazing, but there is ONE BIG PROBLEM with these headphones. If you have a big head, these headphones are not comfortable. The maximum time I can wear these is 30 minutes. Nothing longer than that. They stretch to much. I have had these for more than 9 months and they have not stretched out. The design is great, the quality is amazing but I can not...
Published 24 days ago by Shalom Bhopale

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!, 9 Mar. 2014
Pavel Tsvetkov (Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)
PROS
3. Very comfortable. These are over the ears (as opposed to on-ears) headphones, so there is no unpleasant pressure. The new ear pads are very soft, and the headband is enveloped in the same soft material.
4. Portability. Both cups rotate horizontally 180°, and they fold vertically, to make the headphone's dimensions quite small and portable-friendly. The supplied pouch comes in handy.
5. Unlike their predecessors, the ATH-M50X arrive with three detachable cables: a long straight one (you can use it to connect to a source that is further away), a short straight one (very handy when connecting to a smartphone, or if your computer is located very near to where you sit), and a medium-length coiled one (for mixed purposes). The insert-and-turn locking system secures the cable to the left cup.
6. No sound leakage. These are closed-back headphones, so you can use them in a room, filled with people, or while commuting, without the need to worry that you might disturb someone.
7. With an impedance of 38 ohms you do not need a headphone amp to drive them.

CONS
1. Cable connectors are proprietary. But then again you get three cables in the box, so it is unlikely that you will be looking to buy new cables any time soon.
2. At 285 g (10 oz) plus the cable, the ATH-M50X are a little heavier than similar-sized headphones I have owned. But making them lighter would most probably affect build quality.
3. I have watched video reviews, making the argument that the ATH-M50X are not exactly audiophile quality (that is, their response is not as 'flat' and 'neutral', as it should be). This could indeed be the case, as Audio-Technica has other models (like the ATH-A900X), positioned in the higher and more expensive segment, but the latter are not meant to be carried around or enjoyed in the street. In my opinion ATH-M50X have been built to produce enjoyable (rather than analytical) sound. Consider this carefully.

CONCLUSION
When all of the above have been taken into consideration, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X might be the best value for money headphone on the market today.
1. They may not sound as neutral as AKG 702 (but the latter are not portable, there is serious sound leakage, and you cannot drive them adequately with your smartphone).
2. They are not cable-free or as light as the Bluetooth Sony MDR-1BT, but the ATH-M50X sound much better.
3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is the overall winner if you are looking for enjoyable full-bodied sound, sturdy build, detachable cables, and a no-nonsense look. You simply cannot go wrong with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING Value For Money! Nothing to beat them at double their price!, 22 Dec. 2014
Whilst working away on tour in the US & Canada I started thinking about treating myself to a new pair of headphones ready for returning home to a package containing my new Pono hi-res music player.

Earlier in the year I had purchased a pair on Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear headphones. I have always liked the sound, style & build quality of Sennheiser but having clocked up a lot of listening hours with the Momentums whilst away, I felt the low end on this model was somewhat too warm / fuzzy / unfocused … I hope you get the general idea I’m trying to put over ; )

Many people kept suggesting Grado models for the sound I was hoping to achieve. Now I also love the sound and style of Grados BUT their open back design is a complete non-starter for me! A closed back design with minimal sound leakage (IN & OUT) is essential for me if I am to avoid drive fellow colleagues travelling with me on tour buses crazy or when I want to listen to some jazz at home (“j-a-z-z” being the only four letter word that offends my wife). So, unfortunately, Grado = NoNo.

Towards the end of my trip I headed to The Headphone Bar in Vancouver ready & willing to spend up to around $500 to $600 (£300 to £400), maybe more, for something that offered the WOW! factor.

Being a specialist headphone emporium rather than one covering all aspects of hi-fi, The Headphone Bar have a very impressive array of products; Grado, Beyer Dynamic, Sennheiser, AKG, B&O, etc.

Having read lots of reviews and articles prior to my visit (I know that one should always treat reviews with a certain amount of scepticism but they can be very useful in pointing one in the right direction in a market with so many possibilities), I thought that one of the models in the Beyerdynamic range may well be THE ones … possibly the T70P.

However, having listened to several Beyer models (T51i, T70P, T90) it was clear that they were not to my taste. These all featured Beyer’s Tesla technology and to my ears all sounded harsh, tinny & thin with no low end “Ooompf” whatsoever. I’m no drum & bass fan, but I do like a solid bass line and good attack on drums. (I know the Tesla models need to be run-in but these were all display models that had had plenty of run-in time).

I also tried the Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ears which whilst representing a step-up from my existing On-Ears shared much of the Momentum sound characteristics.

The B&O H6 sounded quite nice but for me did not warrant their price tag.

Next were some models from V-Moda that I had not heard before. Their M100 model was far more the sound I had been looking for although I wasn’t particularly taken by their design & looks … but a possible nevertheless. Added to the shortlist.

I then happened to pick up the Audio Technica ATH-M50x phones which I hadn’t previously tried as they were in very much the same price bracket as my existing Sennheisers.

The immediate WOW! factor was there from the first few bars of Foo Fighter’s Congregation; solid, rich low end (without being overblown), crystal clear high-end (without being harsh), a great soundstage and a wonderful sense of space around all the instruments.

I’m a drummer, so I tend to always notice how drums sound on recordings. With the ATH-M50x phones kick drums had far more attack and depth than on my Sennheiser Momentums and snare drums and cymbals had great resonance and space around them. Some test tracks featuring Messrs Peart, Hawkins & Collins all sounded fantastic.

I have a very broad taste in music and so tried out the ATH-M50x’s with some Foo Fighters, Nick Drake, Rush, Bob Marley, Genesis, Gregory Porter & Debussy … everything sounded amazing!

SOLD!

The comfort factor was also there; even for a glasses wearer. Over the last few days of my travels I listened to LOTS of music on my MacBook Pro and iPhone and didn’t experience either ’tired’ ears or any discomfort from prolonged wearing of these phones. With an iPhone some people might want them to go a little bit louder if you are into metal or dance music, but a Pono player only needs the volume at around 50% for PLENTY of volume.

There is no in-built mic/remote on any of the supplied cables but that’s not a big issue for me as I usually also carry a set on Klipsch in-ears with me as well.

… and the WOW! factor was taken to another level when I got home and plugged the ATH-M50x’s into my Pono!

Audio Technica market this model as professional studio monitor headphone rather than for domestic use (on their website it shows under the MONITOR category rather than the Hi-Fi category), so you may need to do a little hunting to find them, but it is definitely worth it.

Anyone in the market for closed back headphones up to $600 / £400 should definitely audition this product!

For me, this model represents AMAZING value for money … I was willing to spend more than double the price of the ATH-M50x’s but couldn’t find anything that (to my ears) bettered this model.

Official Website:

Example Prices:

Sennheiser Momentum On-ear £170 rrp but typically around £130

Audio Technica ATH-M50x £180 rrp but typically around £130

Beyer Dynamic T70p £456 but typically around £385

V-Moda M100 £250 rep but typically around £220

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, Crystal Clear, Punchy Base and great fun to listen to!!!, 3 Jun. 2014
I have have probably reviewed most headphones in mainstream electronic stores in the UK which include brands from Bose all the way to Beats, Sennheiser to Bang and Olufsen, AKG to Sony and can absolutely say that these are absolutely my favorite pair of headphones I have ever heard under the £350 price tag (not to say I have actually heard anything above that)!

In a nutshell, these headphones have a fantastically well balanced, detailed and powerful sound not heard all together in one single headphone. The highs are detailed, crystal clear but not to over powering, the mids are very well represented with a natural sound and the base is detailed, punchy and can be very fun if you decide to crank it up a bit!

Close your eyes and these headphones help you believe that you are their with the musician. These are seemingly a very technically advanced headphone which truly does well across all music genres I have listened to (Rock, Techno, Dance, Pop, Classical

I will however leave you with a note of caution, these headphones represent the audio very clearly, therefore if you have a poor quality audio track, then you will hear the poor quality in all more detail, however if you have a high quality audio track, boy are you be in for a treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best headphones I've listened to music on so far., 25 Feb. 2015
(White Version)
Okay, so... Here goes.

I bought these headphones with the recommendation from about a trillion people constantly blathering me with suggestions for it in forums, in person and via all the other communication methods available including morse code. As I'm really not an audiophile, I don't really know what "amazing sound" sounds like -- but* (and this is a big but...No pun intended) I find that audio is a very subjective experience and there are even people who like to hear the crackles in lower grade (maybe older) music.

I personally find that hearing everything in a song (yes - including all the little pops and crackles that come along even with flac sometimes) is actually a very enjoyable experience and it adds depth to the song (only if the crackles are made by the studio equipment and the way that the song is recorded rather than being made by crappy compression) because it paints a picture in your head of how the song was recorded and in what scenario etc.. If you think I'm lying, go listen to "Eminem - Sing for the moment" in .flac and you'll be impressed at how much difference it makes from when you listen to it in .mp3.
These headphones honestly highlighted the difference between the two because they're studio monitors. You probably (unless you're really used to a song) wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two sounds with just any generic headphone.

Note: I didn't include anything about the bass but it is actually really good whilst still keeping enough of the other range of frequencies to be classed as studio monitors - kudos Audio-Technica!

Conclusion + TLDR

I bought these headphones as an experiment because I am a student worker who doesn't need to spend his money on anything else (apart from PCs of course aha).
They are extremely good even though I expected them to be like any other pair of headphones. They are still a big investment for a small sound difference as the average listener probably won't notice the difference in sound (apart from the bass - because of a nice tight seal also).

All-in-all a very good purchase if you love music and need to listen to it every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Headphones, 28 July 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
The ATH-M50XBL really ooze quality. Their sleek design, top notch build quality and performance reflects great attention to detail. The brown leather finish gives that retro touch, yet If the colour does not appeal than there is an identical all black version.

These studio headphones deliver amazing crisp sound with excellent balance from treble to bass whilst retaining loads of detail. I particularly find the bass sounds so deep and only matched by much more expensive headphones. And be it classical or rock, these drivers will handle anything you throw at them with ease, rewarding you with an immersing musical experience.

The ATH-M50XBL are built to last, thanks to the sturdy materials and solid build quality. The 3 supplied cables are reinforced at the extremities and fit snugly and securely to the headphones.

The other two variants have a non removable cable and are the ATH-M50 which comes with a coiled cable and the ATH-M50s, where "s" means that the cable is straight. All 3 versions produce identical high quality sound.

I simply love these headphones! And at this price, they definitely don't come any better.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars may be my search for perfect headphone ends(for now at least :-)), 6 Feb. 2015
Wow..
Received first class service from amazon..I have wasted a fortune on headphones and was skeptical about this one as well..listening them now and one word WOW..wat an amazing sounding product...i was so much after wireless headphones and got Sony 750 bn(wireless) last year which i believe is a decent product and sounded very well even on wireless ..If it was not a comfort issue i would have not started looking for another pair..I thought to try these based on reviews they got all over websites and they sound too good for the price.. Much better than any noise cancelling or wireless can produce ..In my view these are must have pairs..Don't look for all in one headphones..If you want wireless then do not expect such sound quality...and same holds for noise cancelling... May be i will buy another sports pair for running purposes but after listening to these i am sure i am going to keep them just to enjoy sheer music ..Don't reject them before trying...money well spent..

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Low Price., 24 Feb. 2015
To start this off I'm just going to say. What a pair of headphones. These are without doubt the best headphones I have ever used.
First off the packaging it comes in is top class. Professional and sleek, maybe a bit too much cardboard but nonetheless, amazing.
It comes with 3 cables. 1 regular short cable, 1 longer regular cable and 1 coiled cable which is a personal preference. It also has a bigger headphone jack for studio monitors etc.
It comes with a nice (free) pouch for storing the headphones in although I would recommend buying a hard shell case if you plan on travelling with them.
That's just the packaging and accessories. The headphones are the real treat. They may not be the best looking but they are far from ugly. The sound is perfect, everything is in sync and nothing is overpowered. This is coming from a man who listens to a lot of music and also uses them for gaming where again the sound is excellent. The ATH-M50X's are also incredibly durable and there's no real risk of snapping the hinges as they seem to be very sturdy.
I've put in a lot of listening time the past few days and I cannot fault them in anything. In my eyes these could be priced much higher and are a complete bargain for the price, if you're on the fence about getting a pair. Get them.

Pros: Everything

Cons: Nothing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality headphones, fantastic clear sound, bit on the bulky side., 9 Feb. 2015
Neil Clarkson - See all my reviews
Very crisp and clear sound, with good bass. I use them for music and watching noisy films, and the sound quality for both is outstanding. Good volume when connected to iPad and iPhone devices. Nice, sturdy quality feel to them. The headphones come with three cords: 1.2 metre straight, 3 metre straight, and a 3 metre coiled with a larger jack connector. Lead jacks lock into the headphones to stop them being pulled out. Headphones are over-ear with a nice comfortable sound-dampening seal. I've been wearing them with glasses on and they are still very comfortable. When not in use they can be folded down and stored in a good quality bag that came in the box.

The only drawback might be how bulky they are when worn. Not a problem for me using them in the house, and I quite like the bulky look, but might not suit if you wanted something a bit more discreet when you're out and about.

Amazon Standard delivery very quick, came in a large box with some padding around the package.

If you're looking for ~£100 headphones I strongly recommend these.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT'S JUST GOT TO BE 5 ☆, 7 Aug. 2014
First and foremost, I am a self confessed headphone addict. No, I'm not seeking treatment. I enjoy my habit! I have in my "keep forever collection" Senn 650's, Denon 2000's and Sony XB700's. I've tried and sold many others including Alpha dog's. I'm not going to compare any of the above or rant on in "phile" language about the Audio tech M50X. Read the reviews and watched the tube to get me "aroused" enough to hit the buy button. The box and build quality have all been covered by others and don't need further praise. Comfort wise, I've found them just right without being too tight on my medium sized bonce. Can get a bit sticky on the ears after an hours use, but that's all. The sound is what gave me my fix! The bass is just right. Not too much, not too little. It hits with a firm punch that does not distort even at high volumes. It just feels right, to the extent that it can even tickle your ears if you push the volume beyond high, which it easily does again without distortion. The mids are very, very defined. Always there, even on poor recordings. Superb detail to the point that you can hear cowbells, triangles and even if the drummer is using the skin of the drum or the metal edge of it. Kick drums do just that. Side drums have a great "crack" that makes you smile when they get thrashed. Vocals are for me, very clear, not grainy and definitely not piercing or fatiguing. I'm truly in love with these M50X's at the moment. They sit about the middle between my 650's and D2000's.They will be staying in my forever at home ones. Excellent value and enjoyable for hours to listen with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice headphones. As others have said it tends to ..., 31 Dec. 2014
Very nice headphones. As others have said it tends to be a bit bassy, but not at all overwhelming and certainly not in Dr Beats territory. I did find them fairly uncomfortable to wear for the first month or so, but they do seem to have adjusted themselves now and don't have any problems. Very nice packaging too.