4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound and extremely capable in a recording environment, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M40X Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I chose these cans entirely for recording purposes (mainly for vocals), and have now used them pretty consistently in recording sessions for about two months. The reasons for my purchase were: flat frequency response; detachable cable; closed back design; 100 price point.

My first impressions were mixed. The bass response seemed heavier to what I was used to (mainly AKG headphones), they seemed relatively weighty and the leather pads did not feel as comfortable as the velour pads used on other popular AKG and Beyer designs, which I have used in various recording sessions over the years.

However, after a few days of listening, something clicked. The response is flat and clean with a punchy mid range and smooth high end. I have found them to be excellent for mixing and extremely capable in a recording environment (the cups rotate to all sorts of angles, which although annoying when holding them, is very useful for recording vocals, as each cup can sit off or on the ear, and anything in between). They are also very well built, solid and should last a lifetime (I hope). Detachable cables work great and straight and coiled cables each have their uses.

If you are looking for a solid bass response, I would recommend these in a heartbeat. I find these particularly useful for A/B testing to check bass response when mixing using smaller monitors (such as monitors with 5 inch speakers, which may have limited bass response below the 60hz region). However, if you are looking for something a little more comfortable, the Beyer DT250s are only another 40, though in my opinion the low end is less impressive (probably due to the velour pads rather than the leather pads on these).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sounding headphones, 24 July 2014
They are EQ'ed flat across the range as stated. I don't like too much base anyway.
Using my own device, I changed the EQ accordingly that gives it a sound that I enjoy.
They are probably a bit bulkier than some of the modern styles out there but in my opinion sound is better than looks.
They fold up to a good size for carrying around and with the detachable cable makes it easier and less bulky.
I purchased them as an all rounder (so I can record with them and listen to music through them).
They are comfortable to wear but can be a little sweaty after long use on the ears.
I just wished they had included a 1.2 mt cable as they do with the M50x as it is needed for going out with them. I am reluctant to buy the cable separately as they want more than 16 to buy it and normal cables do not fit!!!...
All in all I have listened to a lot of headphones before making my purchase and these do sound really good.

4.0 out of 5 stars I honestly could not imagine anything sounding better. Straight out of the box and the first ..., 10 July 2014
I had some concerns that I would be missing out by not getting the M50X's but I just couldn't afford the extra 40 however,
I honestly could not imagine anything sounding better. Straight out of the box and the first thing I heard on these blew my mind.
I had been using the more expensive Grado SR80's and these just torpedoed them in every way.
Anyone who buys these will instantly understand the meaning of perfectly balanced sound. The bass is deep and expansive, the mids are huge and detailed and the highs are tight and crisp.
The only downside has been finding that I've had to download most of my music collection again at either 320kbps or as FLAC files as you really notice a huge drop in quality with mp3's recorded at a lower bit rate.