5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced sound, comfy, sturdy, affordable - great!
If you're looking at these, it's probably because you're after a decent quality, affordable, NEUTRAL frequency response set of headphones. In which case, I'd say these are spot on!

Monitoring/Mixing:
Published 1 month ago by Greasemonkeysinger

2.0 out of 5 stars gone back to my £20 sennheisers which I think sound better as well as being designed for people with a ...
really uncomfortable to wear, made for people with big heads. gone back to my £20 sennheisers which I think sound better as well as being designed for people with a normal size head.
Published 3 months ago by D. collins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced sound, comfy, sturdy, affordable - great!, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M40X Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)

Monitoring/Mixing:
I use them mainly for monitoring and mixing and found them comfy for many hours at a time. They seem to have reduced the amount of time spent achieving a balanced/musical mix when playing back over several different monitoring speakers.

Listening to Music: (My musical tastes/collection span most genres)
TBH, I've never been a big fan of listening to albums on headphones, but I've done it a lot more since getting these.
Don't let the 'flat/neutral response' make you think they're dull. There plenty of bass and presence, already nicely balanced.
And, at the risk of upsetting hardcore audiophiles - there's always tone controls and EQing for the few occassions you might want to tweek the experience or go OTT!

I doubt you'll regret buying them. I certainly didn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain for great quality headphones, 10 Dec 2014
I did a lot of research before I bought these cans. My final shortlist included, besides these, the Sony MDR-V7605 and the Sennheisers HD280 and 558 pro.
Although I couldn't get a hand on the Sony's, these cans sound better than the Sennheisers and better fit my allround & travel purposes.
As said, these cans sound really good, and this for all kinds of music (classical, jazz, soundtracks, rock, pop, etc). At a first listening I was amazed with the sound quality. Everything online reviewers say about it is true. In addition: soundstage is excellent, bass is good. There is some sound leakage but truly it's minimal.
I must add that I use the equaliser on my ipod to modify sound depending on the kind of music I'm listening to. That makes a considerable difference. Also important: volume possibilities are also fine with these cans. I don't have to put my ipod on maximum volume in public spaces all the time to enjoy my music.
As to clamp, in the beginning it got a bit tight for me after about 1h30 - 2h of listening but then I put the cans between books about the width of my head for a night. Now they sit very nicely. The surpluss clamp seems to be gone.
What I also like about the M40x is that they are lighter than the M50x.
My only remark is that passive noise cancelling could probably have been better. You still do hear what happens around you. If this is normal level noise it cancels out once you put on a decent music volume. In especially busy public spaces and busy traffic streets, though, the cans are struggling to keep up. If that's what you want to buy the M40x for maybe you could (also) consider active noise cancelling headphones. In the train it doesn't bother me.
I don't know what's the reason for the fact that passive noise cancellation is probably not the best out there, although I didn't really do comparative research. Maybe it's the use of materials, for instance on the pads. I also read somewhere that soundstage is related to the level of outside noise shielding. Maybe a balance was struck. I don't know. I am not an expert.
Conclusion: Overall these are fabulous headphones. In the store the Sennheisers and all the other cans, even at a much higher price-point, at no moment matched up to the intimacy, the directness and the balanced nature of the sound of the M40X. Within seconds I felt that the M40x were clearly superior tan every alternative I tried out. When listening to old jazz albums (Bill Evans Trio) the soundstage is so good that I can actually hear where everybody was situated in the room to a degree that I would -by way of speech- hear a wallet drop to the right side of where in the room I seem to be.
With all the above in mind I find it hard to find arguments against the M40x, especially if you use them in a variety of situations and for a variety of musical styles. For such a soft price-tag they simply rock big time.
***
Addendum: if you want a hardcase for the M40x don't by the Slappa case, it's too small. The UDG Creator case Small is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant headphones, 31 July 2014
Well, this is my first thorough review of a product, and decided to do it only because another review tempted me to buy the M40Xs over the M50s.

The Good:
Amazing Highs/Mids
Very nice sturdy design
Very comfortable
Detachable cable with secure locking system
2x Gold plated cables

The Bad:
Headphones don't swivel 360 degrees, only 180
Personally, I find the cables too long - (3M), and I dislike coiled cables
Take time for the sound to get better

When I first bought these headphones, excited I played some music expected great bass; however all I got was a disgusting burr when the bass got heavy. As I listen to Rap/Hip-hop or Dubstep - (I'm assuming many others buying these have similar taste), I thought these weren't very good. I read online that especially Audio-Technicas need to be "Broken into", so I kept listening to my music on full volume, and sure enough the sound got better and better. Now the sound is much better, and sound brilliant with amazing highs, and great bass.

The sound quality is very clear, and the sound can get loud enough. There is near enough NO leakage. If you play music without them on, you can hear the music, but when the soft earcups are pressed against your head, no sound leaks. With impressive bass, I found them good, but could be better. But for £80, I would be stupid to complain, as headphones for even more than £100 more can not even compare.

Apart from "Breaking in" these headphones, I am very impressed. The main reason I chose these over the M50s is because in my opinion they don't look very appealing, and had no detachable cable. I saw this as important, because 90% of the time the cable on headphones give way first. I was intending to go for the M50X, but I could not justify spending 40-50£ more.

The headphones are comfortable enough to wear for hours on end, and the carry case is great for small drops, and keeping dust and fingerprints off the mark-prone matte skin on the headphones; however I don't see matte black as a bad thing, because it looks brilliant.

Overall, I am very impressed with these headphones, and would DEFINITELY recommend them. If you are a 'Bass Junkie' as to say, I recommend going for the M50s, otherwise, this is a brilliant choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust cans, 8 Dec 2014
Key points:
Over-the-ear
Bought for £69 (not expensive)
Quality product and well build
Minimalistic in terms of accessories
Very big packaging box
Box comes not sealed with a tape (!!!... this is normal... checked on youtube)
2 good gold-plated cables, a fake leather pouch, cans and some paper to lose
Excellent clear and balanced sound
Lows are not overpowering
Highs are not screechy
Mids are crips
Sturdy
Flexible
90 degrees rotation is useful although a weakness in the build
Neutral in style
Very light
Sits comfortably on the head
Not head-crushing
Not ear-crushing
Not for big heads
Not for small heads
Poor noise cancellation
Some sound leakage
No case included

Verdict:
Highly recommended
Value product with flagship build quality and sound

4.0 out of 5 stars I honestly could not imagine anything sounding better. Straight out of the box and the first ..., 10 July 2014
I had some concerns that I would be missing out by not getting the M50X's but I just couldn't afford the extra £40 however,
I honestly could not imagine anything sounding better. Straight out of the box and the first thing I heard on these blew my mind.
I had been using the more expensive Grado SR80's and these just torpedoed them in every way.
Anyone who buys these will instantly understand the meaning of perfectly balanced sound. The bass is deep and expansive, the mids are huge and detailed and the highs are tight and crisp.
The only downside has been finding that I've had to download most of my music collection again at either 320kbps or as FLAC files as you really notice a huge drop in quality with mp3's recorded at a lower bit rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars which were very good, but were too big for my head, 26 Nov 2014
Audio technia Ath M40X.
WOW!
I took a chance on these after listening to its big brother, the M 50X, which were very good, but were too big for my head.
This is my review.
I have heard several headphones and even owned the klipsch image one 2 headphones, similar price, but uncomfortable and way too bass heavy.
Once these are burned in they even get better. They are comfortable perfectly balanced across the frequency range, and when you read some people say they hear instruments etc they never heard before on their favourite tracks, this is absolutely correct.
To sum it up, a fantastic pair of cans which are a pleasure to listen to and at this price, nothing can touch it.
Golfman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended without any reservations, 4 Oct 2014
I recently bought these as well as a set of Grado SR80e headphones. These are the ones that I have ended up using most of the time. While the Grado has a very upfront and engaging sound, the M40x sounds so much more natural - they give the impression that you are hearing the music much more like the artist and producers intended it to sound. The bass might be a slightly elevated but overall they just sound accurate and revealing. I have found that the sound improves significantly with good quality audio files, equipment and cables, and I suspect that negative reviews are more likely posted by people who have no understanding of the importance of paying attention to this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sounding headphones, 24 July 2014
They are EQ'ed flat across the range as stated. I don't like too much base anyway.
Using my own device, I changed the EQ accordingly that gives it a sound that I enjoy.
They are probably a bit bulkier than some of the modern styles out there but in my opinion sound is better than looks.
They fold up to a good size for carrying around and with the detachable cable makes it easier and less bulky.
I purchased them as an all rounder (so I can record with them and listen to music through them).
They are comfortable to wear but can be a little sweaty after long use on the ears.
I just wished they had included a 1.2 mt cable as they do with the M50x as it is needed for going out with them. I am reluctant to buy the cable separately as they want more than £16 to buy it and normal cables do not fit!!!...
All in all I have listened to a lot of headphones before making my purchase and these do sound really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic pair of Headphones, 19 Dec 2014
Fantastic pair of Headphones. I always wanted the ATH M50s but when I realised these existed and were significantly cheaper, yet still known for brilliant sound, I immediately purchased them.

The build is very good - they're lighter than I thought they'd be. The padding is very comfortable and it definitely feels like it will last a long time. The balanced sound makes listening to music more fun again.

Comes with 2 cables, one coiled and one straight, both 3m. I would prefer the 1.2m straight which is available with the M50s, so I might buy those as well. The cables it comes with are pretty long, and the coiling is a bit cumbersome when it hangs down. But these headphones are more for studio-monitoring so it's not really a fault.

Flat response, 15-24000Hz range, detachable cables, comfortable, solid = win

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound and extremely capable in a recording environment, 20 April 2014
I chose these cans entirely for recording purposes (mainly for vocals), and have now used them pretty consistently in recording sessions for about two months. The reasons for my purchase were: flat frequency response; detachable cable; closed back design; £100 price point.

My first impressions were mixed. The bass response seemed heavier to what I was used to (mainly AKG headphones), they seemed relatively weighty and the leather pads did not feel as comfortable as the velour pads used on other popular AKG and Beyer designs, which I have used in various recording sessions over the years.

However, after a few days of listening, something clicked. The response is flat and clean with a punchy mid range and smooth high end. I have found them to be excellent for mixing and extremely capable in a recording environment (the cups rotate to all sorts of angles, which although annoying when holding them, is very useful for recording vocals, as each cup can sit off or on the ear, and anything in between). They are also very well built, solid and should last a lifetime (I hope). Detachable cables work great and straight and coiled cables each have their uses.

If you are looking for a solid bass response, I would recommend these in a heartbeat. I find these particularly useful for A/B testing to check bass response when mixing using smaller monitors (such as monitors with 5 inch speakers, which may have limited bass response below the 60hz region). However, if you are looking for something a little more comfortable, the Beyer DT250s are only another £40, though in my opinion the low end is less impressive (probably due to the velour pads rather than the leather pads on these).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›