5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant headphones
Well, this is my first thorough review of a product, and decided to do it only because another review tempted me to buy the M40Xs over the M50s.

The Good:
Amazing Highs/Mids
Very nice sturdy design
Very comfortable
Detachable cable with secure locking system
2x Gold plated cables

The Bad:
Headphones don't swivel 360...
Published 1 month ago by Saif Haq

really uncomfortable to wear, made for people with big heads. gone back to my 20 sennheisers which I think sound better as well as being designed for people with a normal size head.
Published 4 days ago by D. collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant headphones, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M40X Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)

The Good:
Amazing Highs/Mids
Very nice sturdy design
Very comfortable
Detachable cable with secure locking system
2x Gold plated cables

The Bad:
Headphones don't swivel 360 degrees, only 180
Personally, I find the cables too long - (3M), and I dislike coiled cables
Take time for the sound to get better

When I first bought these headphones, excited I played some music expected great bass; however all I got was a disgusting burr when the bass got heavy. As I listen to Rap/Hip-hop or Dubstep - (I'm assuming many others buying these have similar taste), I thought these weren't very good. I read online that especially Audio-Technicas need to be "Broken into", so I kept listening to my music on full volume, and sure enough the sound got better and better. Now the sound is much better, and sound brilliant with amazing highs, and great bass.

The sound quality is very clear, and the sound can get loud enough. There is near enough NO leakage. If you play music without them on, you can hear the music, but when the soft earcups are pressed against your head, no sound leaks. With impressive bass, I found them good, but could be better. But for 80, I would be stupid to complain, as headphones for even more than 100 more can not even compare.

Apart from "Breaking in" these headphones, I am very impressed. The main reason I chose these over the M50s is because in my opinion they don't look very appealing, and had no detachable cable. I saw this as important, because 90% of the time the cable on headphones give way first. I was intending to go for the M50X, but I could not justify spending 40-50 more.

The headphones are comfortable enough to wear for hours on end, and the carry case is great for small drops, and keeping dust and fingerprints off the mark-prone matte skin on the headphones; however I don't see matte black as a bad thing, because it looks brilliant.

Overall, I am very impressed with these headphones, and would DEFINITELY recommend them. If you are a 'Bass Junkie' as to say, I recommend going for the M50s, otherwise, this is a brilliant choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sounding headphones, 24 July 2014
They are EQ'ed flat across the range as stated. I don't like too much base anyway.
Using my own device, I changed the EQ accordingly that gives it a sound that I enjoy.
They are probably a bit bulkier than some of the modern styles out there but in my opinion sound is better than looks.
They fold up to a good size for carrying around and with the detachable cable makes it easier and less bulky.
I purchased them as an all rounder (so I can record with them and listen to music through them).
They are comfortable to wear but can be a little sweaty after long use on the ears.
I just wished they had included a 1.2 mt cable as they do with the M50x as it is needed for going out with them. I am reluctant to buy the cable separately as they want more than 16 to buy it and normal cables do not fit!!!...
All in all I have listened to a lot of headphones before making my purchase and these do sound really good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cans, 30 July 2014
Ive been using these headphones for a couple of days now and i love them, but i dont know if the price would be right for everybody, and thats why im giving 4 stars.
The headphones havent blown me away like people claim online, but then i havent burned them in or anything like that so i couldnt really say.
What i can say though is that these are just expertly built and the finish quality is lovely. There also very comfortable to wear for hours upon end.
Only complaints i have is there is no 1.2 straight cable included like in the m50x, which is a shame but the coiled cable that comes included is excellent.
In summary, if you expect to be blown away by the sound quality you might be dissapointed, but the build quality and comfort on these phones is something else and when you put them on your head they just ooze quality. So go ahead and treat yourself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound and extremely capable in a recording environment, 20 April 2014
I chose these cans entirely for recording purposes (mainly for vocals), and have now used them pretty consistently in recording sessions for about two months. The reasons for my purchase were: flat frequency response; detachable cable; closed back design; 100 price point.

My first impressions were mixed. The bass response seemed heavier to what I was used to (mainly AKG headphones), they seemed relatively weighty and the leather pads did not feel as comfortable as the velour pads used on other popular AKG and Beyer designs, which I have used in various recording sessions over the years.

However, after a few days of listening, something clicked. The response is flat and clean with a punchy mid range and smooth high end. I have found them to be excellent for mixing and extremely capable in a recording environment (the cups rotate to all sorts of angles, which although annoying when holding them, is very useful for recording vocals, as each cup can sit off or on the ear, and anything in between). They are also very well built, solid and should last a lifetime (I hope). Detachable cables work great and straight and coiled cables each have their uses.

If you are looking for a solid bass response, I would recommend these in a heartbeat. I find these particularly useful for A/B testing to check bass response when mixing using smaller monitors (such as monitors with 5 inch speakers, which may have limited bass response below the 60hz region). However, if you are looking for something a little more comfortable, the Beyer DT250s are only another 40, though in my opinion the low end is less impressive (probably due to the velour pads rather than the leather pads on these).

4.0 out of 5 stars I honestly could not imagine anything sounding better. Straight out of the box and the first ..., 10 July 2014
I had some concerns that I would be missing out by not getting the M50X's but I just couldn't afford the extra 40 however,
I honestly could not imagine anything sounding better. Straight out of the box and the first thing I heard on these blew my mind.
I had been using the more expensive Grado SR80's and these just torpedoed them in every way.
Anyone who buys these will instantly understand the meaning of perfectly balanced sound. The bass is deep and expansive, the mids are huge and detailed and the highs are tight and crisp.
The only downside has been finding that I've had to download most of my music collection again at either 320kbps or as FLAC files as you really notice a huge drop in quality with mp3's recorded at a lower bit rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 7 Aug 2014
Absolutely the best headphones I have ever owned. I use for music production, video editing and general listening.

The only thing audio-technica could do better is provide a more solid case (The pull chords from my case fell out after about a week)

4.0 out of 5 stars Balance and value!, 20 Aug 2014
Crisp but not too tinny/metallic on the treble. Punchy but not too raspy/cracked on the bass. These headphones will give you a neutral and authentic sound at a high fidelity. With comfort and durability. In other words just perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones he's ever had, 1 Aug 2014
Absolutely fabulous. I own a red pair with the 50mm drivers, and so I purchased these for my Dad and he loves them. Best headphones he's ever had. Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant headphones, 30 Aug 2014
These headphones are incredibly good sounding with minimal interference. Good natural sounding quality. If you are on the fence go for it

2.0 out of 5 stars gone back to my 20 sennheisers which I think sound better as well as being designed for people with a ..., 28 Aug 2014
D. collins (south west) - See all my reviews