5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain for great quality headphones
I did a lot of research before I bought these cans. My final shortlist included, besides these, the Sony MDR-V7605 and the Sennheisers HD280 and 558 pro.
Although I couldn't get a hand on the Sony's, these cans sound better than the Sennheisers and better fit my allround & travel purposes.
As said, these cans sound really good, and this for all kinds of music...
Published 3 months ago by G

3.0 out of 5 stars I find these headphones perfect for practice
As a bass player, I find these headphones perfect for practice. They are EQ'd flat and that gives flexibility in setting up the sound I want. However, I think that for general day to day use (music, videos, computer games etc) they are a bit heavy and not so comfortable as the plug-in earphones. Great product otherwise.
Published 16 days ago by Alex Fokin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain for great quality headphones, 10 Dec. 2014
G (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M40X Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)
As said, these cans sound really good, and this for all kinds of music (classical, jazz, soundtracks, rock, pop, etc). At a first listening I was amazed with the sound quality. Everything online reviewers say about it is true. In addition: soundstage is excellent, bass is good. There is some sound leakage but truly it's minimal.
I must add that I use the equaliser on my ipod to modify sound depending on the kind of music I'm listening to. That makes a considerable difference. Also important: volume possibilities are also fine with these cans. I don't have to put my ipod on maximum volume in public spaces all the time to enjoy my music.
As to clamp, in the beginning it got a bit tight for me after about 1h30 - 2h of listening but then I put the cans between books about the width of my head for a night. Now they sit very nicely. The surpluss clamp seems to be gone.
What I also like about the M40x is that they are lighter than the M50x.
My only remark is that passive noise cancelling could probably have been better. You still do hear what happens around you. If this is normal level noise it cancels out once you put on a decent music volume. In especially busy public spaces and busy traffic streets, though, the cans are struggling to keep up. If that's what you want to buy the M40x for maybe you could (also) consider active noise cancelling headphones. In the train it doesn't bother me.
I don't know what's the reason for the fact that passive noise cancellation is probably not the best out there, although I didn't really do comparative research. Maybe it's the use of materials, for instance on the pads. I also read somewhere that soundstage is related to the level of outside noise shielding. Maybe a balance was struck. I don't know. I am not an expert.
Conclusion: Overall these are fabulous headphones. In the store the Sennheisers and all the other cans, even at a much higher price-point, at no moment matched up to the intimacy, the directness and the balanced nature of the sound of the M40X. Within seconds I felt that the M40x were clearly superior tan every alternative I tried out. When listening to old jazz albums (Bill Evans Trio) the soundstage is so good that I can actually hear where everybody was situated in the room to a degree that I would -by way of speech- hear a wallet drop to the right side of where in the room I seem to be.
With all the above in mind I find it hard to find arguments against the M40x, especially if you use them in a variety of situations and for a variety of musical styles. For such a soft price-tag they simply rock big time.
***
Addendum: if you want a hardcase for the M40x don't buy the Slappa case, it's too small. The UDG Creator case Small is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced sound, comfy, sturdy, affordable - great!, 12 Nov. 2014
If you're looking at these, it's probably because you're after a decent quality, affordable, NEUTRAL frequency response set of headphones. In which case, I'd say these are spot on!

Monitoring/Mixing:
I use them mainly for monitoring and mixing and found them comfy for many hours at a time. They seem to have reduced the amount of time spent achieving a balanced/musical mix when playing back over several different monitoring speakers.

Listening to Music: (My musical tastes/collection span most genres)
TBH, I've never been a big fan of listening to albums on headphones, but I've done it a lot more since getting these.
Don't let the 'flat/neutral response' make you think they're dull. There plenty of bass and presence, already nicely balanced.
And, at the risk of upsetting hardcore audiophiles - there's always tone controls and EQing for the few occassions you might want to tweek the experience or go OTT!

I doubt you'll regret buying them. I certainly didn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust cans, 8 Dec. 2014
Key points:
Over-the-ear
Bought for £69 (not expensive)
Quality product and well build
Minimalistic in terms of accessories
Very big packaging box
Box comes not sealed with a tape (!!!... this is normal... checked on youtube)
2 good gold-plated cables, a fake leather pouch, cans and some paper to lose
Excellent clear and balanced sound
Lows are not overpowering
Highs are not screechy
Mids are crips
Sturdy
Flexible
90 degrees rotation is useful although a weakness in the build
Neutral in style
Very light
Sits comfortably on the head
Not head-crushing
Not ear-crushing
Not for big heads
Not for small heads
Poor noise cancellation
Some sound leakage
No case included

Verdict:
Highly recommended
Value product with flagship build quality and sound

4.0 out of 5 stars I honestly could not imagine anything sounding better. Straight out of the box and the first ..., 10 July 2014
I had some concerns that I would be missing out by not getting the M50X's but I just couldn't afford the extra £40 however,
I honestly could not imagine anything sounding better. Straight out of the box and the first thing I heard on these blew my mind.
I had been using the more expensive Grado SR80's and these just torpedoed them in every way.
Anyone who buys these will instantly understand the meaning of perfectly balanced sound. The bass is deep and expansive, the mids are huge and detailed and the highs are tight and crisp.
The only downside has been finding that I've had to download most of my music collection again at either 320kbps or as FLAC files as you really notice a huge drop in quality with mp3's recorded at a lower bit rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars which were very good, but were too big for my head, 26 Nov. 2014
Audio technia Ath M40X.
WOW!
I took a chance on these after listening to its big brother, the M 50X, which were very good, but were too big for my head.
This is my review.
I have heard several headphones and even owned the klipsch image one 2 headphones, similar price, but uncomfortable and way too bass heavy.
Once these are burned in they even get better. They are comfortable perfectly balanced across the frequency range, and when you read some people say they hear instruments etc they never heard before on their favourite tracks, this is absolutely correct.
To sum it up, a fantastic pair of cans which are a pleasure to listen to and at this price, nothing can touch it.
Golfman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended without any reservations, 4 Oct. 2014
I recently bought these as well as a set of Grado SR80e headphones. These are the ones that I have ended up using most of the time. While the Grado has a very upfront and engaging sound, the M40x sounds so much more natural - they give the impression that you are hearing the music much more like the artist and producers intended it to sound. The bass might be a slightly elevated but overall they just sound accurate and revealing. I have found that the sound improves significantly with good quality audio files, equipment and cables, and I suspect that negative reviews are more likely posted by people who have no understanding of the importance of paying attention to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy them, do it now., 24 Dec. 2014
Like many reviews have already stated, these headphones requiring a breaking in period, I recommend listening to a variety of music while breaking them in, I got the low end through very quickly however it took me a while to get the sharp highs these headphones can produce.

I've given them 5 because they have changed my perspective on not only how I listen to music but also what I listen too. I'm now ashamed to have worn a pair of £15 headphones for the last 2 years listening to exclusively Dub,Trap and Trip-Hop.

I debated over these and the M50X for a long time and took the risk, many reviews commented that the main difference in sound quality was only the more emphasis on bass with M50X. I thought I would see what true 'balanced' sound was like and I now have a dis-taste when seeing all the headphones advertised with 'Bass' in their title.

Because I listen to a lot of bass music (Flac file type (I recommend avoiding MP3)), I've noticed some producers have reduced the amount of bass in their tracks to accommodate for the ongoing trend 'Bass Is Better'.

These headphones are comfortable, I have a small head, some have suggested they are better for those with bigger heads but these are fine for me! Ear pads are exceptionally soft and a nice fit around the ear with the pads spreading the pressure evenly.

Build quality is good, everything feels sturdy and well tested with the soft ear pads and head band with matte plastic for the outer ear parts. They aren't the prettiest but if your here, your after the best bang-for-your-buck anyway.

Going back to the audio quality, I'm no expert but listening to music with these headphones has made me download my music at higher bit-rates and listen to all my old CD's again to get their full impact.

Just buy them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent. Could be better. Uncomfy after long wear etc, read pros/cons, 5 Mar. 2015
Rasmus Meldal "RMeldal" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
Awesome music headset, no doubt. It's really good, but not as expected for the price. Take a look at a pro/con list.

First the pros:

»Awesome sound. You can just hear everything very clear.
»comfy ish. this is gonna make both lists. The pro about it is, that it's not gonna wabble. When you put it on, it's gonna stay, which is good.
» Thick Cable.
»screw-on normal jack size. which is good, you know it's not gonna pop off when you just pull it from you pre amp.
»Great for mixing music, which it is actually made for... so.... yeah....
» Solid design. Timelss, and good quality.

The cons:
» A little pitched. not that big of an issue, but as an audiophile, IMO at least, it's to the bad side of the descant.
»Comfy ish. It tightens lot arround your head. imo that's a negative. For me that makes it uncomfortable to wear it for several hours.
»The cable. It has a lock, which isn't bad, that's actually really good, but, that does cause a bad side. You can only use Audio Techinca wires made by them.
»NOT a gaming headset. It is decent, but do not buy this expect it to be doing good for long gaming sessions.

I hope this helped you in your choice of new headphones. I'd recommend these if you aren't a bass noob, but an audiophile, with great sense where balance should be. All in all, good headset, but i probably wouldn't pay that much for a headset of this quality again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Headphones that converted me from IEMs, 23 Mar. 2015
First of all I was very surprised to see these delivered Saturday morning when I came home for my lunch break at work, so the delivery from being ordered Friday morning was very swift, surprising for UK and Scotland in particular.
Once I put these on I was pleasantly surprised by how good they sounded, the sound they produce is quite clear but also very warm which I really like for bassy music and the rock also sounds nice on these.
For someone who does not like headphones and prefers in ear earphones this set of headphones convinced me there are good headphones out there.
The build quality is nice in regards to the actual headband as it is very flexible with a steel band within, I think. The plastic holding the earpieces seems a little bit weak to me but so far they have shown no sign of even starting to get loose or any wear whatsoever.
The earcups are fairly comfortable although after an hour to a couple hours of use you will feel pressure on your ears and head which is not too great but is an immense improvement on headphones I've used before.
Overall, if you don't mine the price these are a great set of headphones to get and anyone receiving these as a gift will surely enjoy them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound and extremely capable in a recording environment, 20 April 2014
I chose these cans entirely for recording purposes (mainly for vocals), and have now used them pretty consistently in recording sessions for about two months. The reasons for my purchase were: flat frequency response; detachable cable; closed back design; £100 price point.

My first impressions were mixed. The bass response seemed heavier to what I was used to (mainly AKG headphones), they seemed relatively weighty and the leather pads did not feel as comfortable as the velour pads used on other popular AKG and Beyer designs, which I have used in various recording sessions over the years.

However, after a few days of listening, something clicked. The response is flat and clean with a punchy mid range and smooth high end. I have found them to be excellent for mixing and extremely capable in a recording environment (the cups rotate to all sorts of angles, which although annoying when holding them, is very useful for recording vocals, as each cup can sit off or on the ear, and anything in between). They are also very well built, solid and should last a lifetime (I hope). Detachable cables work great and straight and coiled cables each have their uses.

If you are looking for a solid bass response, I would recommend these in a heartbeat. I find these particularly useful for A/B testing to check bass response when mixing using smaller monitors (such as monitors with 5 inch speakers, which may have limited bass response below the 60hz region). However, if you are looking for something a little more comfortable, the Beyer DT250s are only another £40, though in my opinion the low end is less impressive (probably due to the velour pads rather than the leather pads on these).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›