Published 10 days ago by Fatman

3.0 out of 5 stars very good headphones!
very good headphones!!,but they are too quiet when i use them for recording!!.Cant set the right level as they make everything quieter.great bass and clarity
Published 2 months ago by Roger S. Turnbull

5.0 out of 5 stars and these cheap new phones are just as good! Maybe not quite as comfy if I am ..., 9 Dec 2014
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-M20X Professional Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I bought a pair of these to replace a pair of very old Sennheisers (15yrs old) on which I had replaced the cables on at £60 recently, and now the ear pads have at last fallen to pieces.... Now I know that undoubtedly there have been leaps and bounds I am unaware of in the last few years in headphones, but my Sennheisers cost me £330 all those years ago, and these cheap new phones are just as good!

Maybe not quite as comfy if I am totally honest (some of that will be because I am graced with large jug like ears and the pads need to soften a little to the shape of them ;) ), but I can easily wear them for 4-5 hours listening on my laptop, Hi-Fi and iPod Classic! I had read somewhere that the iPod may need an amp to get truly good sound out of it, but unless I want to be deafened permanently I definitely have enough volume! I am 57 but I have also had my hearing tested recently due to my job in a noisy industry and I have been told it is perfect, so the sound I am hearing is warm and well rounded and not overtaken by bass lines....

I listen to all sorts of music, from modern pop, through rock, heavy metal and onto folk and into classical, and so far I have been much more than happy with these Audio-Technica ATH-M20X, in fact I was going to save up for a much more expensive pair of headphones to replace the old Sennheisers , and these Audio-Technica were meant to be a temporary fix for now, but they have now become the fix for my listening drug! I may even buy another pair for the wife - if she is lucky ahah

5.0 out of 5 stars Designed by engineers for engineers, 2 Jun 2014
Having worked in the recording industry for 25 years and having used dozens of brands including BeyerDynamic, Sony, Fostex to name a few, I've always had a preference for using Audio-Technica and Oktava for Microphones, I thought I'd give this headset a try...after a few days of use mainly with Desktop Audio Workstation software such as Logic Pro and Presonus all I can say is Audio Technica are giving these away for nothing!! The price is totally ridiculous, the precision is sublime and I wish I bought a few more, the construction is excellent and lightweight, the pads encircle most ear sizes, the degree do spatial dynamics is absolutely fantastic, I cannot fault them at all, even if you're looking for a set to use with the newer audio workstation apps for ipad, I'd recommend these 100% - they work well for iPhone too if sound neutrality is your priority, that said, the cable is about 3m which for studio or DJ use is ideal but for mobility might be lengthy - I'm guessing most users are looking for a mobile set in which case there are more suitable options like the Sennheiser Momentum which has a shorter cable and mic controls, but for musicians and studio use, you cannot go wrong with the Audio-Technica ATH-M20X

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for money, 8 May 2014
Weston D (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have owned these headphones for over 1 month now and I use them every day. The headphones are amazing for the money.

Aesthetics
These M20x aren't the most attractive of headphones, however I would only ever wear them indoors so thats not an issue. The design is more functional and practical than attractive. I wouldn't call them ugly (in fact quite the opposite) but like I mentioned they are designed for a function and their design suits that to the ground.
The headphones have the Audio Technica logo on each ear cup with the model number on the ear cup support arm. The headband also features the Audio Technica logo and branding as well. They are very simplistic and the word I am looking for is professional.

Build quality
Although mostly plastic the headphones somehow dont feel cheap or poorly made, they are very solid and quite robust. I have dropped the headphones (accidentally) on more than one occasion and there isn't a mark on them. The headband adjustment is metal and is fairly smooth and allows for easy adjustment. The headband is very nice quite a lot of padding and quite good quality.
The ear cups again like the headband feature ample padding and are very comfortable.
The cable is very thick,well made and very high quality considering how affordable these headphones are.

Comfort
Because of the M20x's over ear design these headphones are probably the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. The headband is very soft and provides a lot of weight distribution across your head. The headband also doesn't have too much clamping force but yet manage to remain secure on your head.
That being said the headphones are very lightweight which only adds to the comfort. The ear cups are again very soft and have plenty of padding, the over ear design may be big but my ears fit inside with no problems at all. I wear these headphones pretty much every day, whether it be listening to music, video editing, audio monitoring and even gaming. This use can vary between 30 minutes to well over 4 hours and the headphones remain comfortable throughout.

In use
Using these headphones as much as I do, you get to know their strengths and weaknesses. These headphones only have one tiny flaw that I dont like. That is the cable, don't get me wrong the cable is very high quality and very robust, but its just too long. At 3m it can get a bit irritating as it is forever getting tangled up and it just gets in the way. Now that is just for me, the cable length is too long for me but it may suit your needs better.
As for audio monitoring and video editing the headphones are amazing. For audio monitoring and audio editing the headphones is response is very flat and you can hear all the imperfections in the audio, now that might not sound good but when you want to get high quality audio for your videos removing imperfections is key. SO for their main function and for the money they are simply amazing even regardless of their price.

Sound quality
Like I mentioned before the sound is amazingly unbiased and very flat now that might not sound exciting but the sound quality is sublime and dare I say it the best sounding headphones under £50. Yes the response is unbiased and flat but that can easily be solved by adjusting your eq settings. But because they are so flat everything just sound right, the vocal reproduction is very good, voices sound very clear and you can hear every intake of breath and exhale and they sound really really nice. The bass is present but not overpowering, it has an abundance of detail and can still hit hard when required. The mid range is again very well judged and surprisingly neutral, its not cold or warm and sits right in the sweet spot. The highs are very controlled and don't sound tinny or harsh and really go along way to complement the sound.
For gaming I found that their flat response didn't excite and was a bit lackluster, however speech and small details are very defined and you hear details really clear. Although there is no sense of directionality they remain composed even in intense action sequences. However you want a bit more excitement adjust your eq and add slightly to the lower frequencies and although not a comparison to a gaming headset, explosions and gun fire have a bit more vigor and improve the experience somewhat.
But if you want a headset for gaming look elsewhere and get a dedicated set.

Summary
Well what can I say for £39 I am simply astonished at how good these headphones are. They are designed for a purpose and they do it extremely well. The build, comfort and sound is unbelievable for this price point and I really do love the headphones.
I just cant believe that Audio Technica have managed to do this for such a low price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Average consumer review, 3 April 2014
I received these in the past week do I've been using them for almost a week now and I am very satisfied with the quality, the don't feel cheap by any means (squeaky). They are comfortable over the ear with great sound, at least compared to my laptop's speakers the sound is way more detailed and nicer in general. If you are an average consumer like me, I would recommend these if you looking for good value and quality. I am not an audiophile, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Let the Price Under-sale these for you! These are Top-Notch Headphones!, 2 Dec 2014
Mr. Mohammad H. Oftadeh (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
Don't Let the Price Under-sale these for you! These are Top-Notch Headphones!

I have been using these for about 2 months now!

They are so under priced it is untrue!

The sound is detailed and well balanced and judged. I have tried these with my laptop, with a high-res & high output portable player and also with an amp and it sounds superb with them all.

They are well built, comfortable and the sound stage is very well judged as well.

If you are considering these, then stop considering and order them now. Especially at the current reduced price!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent product for the price, 13 Dec 2014
P. Brown (London) - See all my reviews
excellent product for the price, the audio quality is great, much better than many brands in the price range. that said this product has left me wanting more, with the comfort and ease of the m20x's i want to see what the m50x's offer, much more expensive, but if i can find this level of audio upgrade again as well as the same comfort and fit then i'll be happy to pay the difference. all round great headphones, not perfect (eg no changeable wire) and the audio quality isn't the very best. but in the price range they really don't have much competition. audio technica know what they are doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ear orgasm!, 2 Dec 2014
Yea never buying cheap headphones again after a pair of these.

Do appreciate sound so much more now after using these.
The sound that comes out of them is just amazing. Audio nerd mate of my loves them too. Says they are close to studio quality at more than a quarter of the price.

Had a few bits of AT stuff before, great brand, know how to make good products adorable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful clear sound through these cans, 6 Dec 2014
Beautiful clear sound through these cans. Very comfortable to wear for long periods of time too.
If you are not fussed about looks (they look ok....but lets face it they are never going to win any fashion awards), but focus on function and value for money, then these are spot on.
Extremely good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant headphones, give brilliant cancellation, 13 Dec 2014
Brilliant headphones, give brilliant cancellation, perfect for mixing, and not too bass heavy! Really comfy too, I would recommend to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 21 Nov 2014
C. RELF (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
Great clarity sound for use with Logic Pro X for studio recording.
Fantastic headphones!