4.0 out of 5 stars Building...
This book capitalizes on the fact that it's a sequel. I thought the first book had a slow opening and a rather iffy third act, however I see now it was just getting the ball rolling.

Published 12 months ago by Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming sequel
I was a bit disappointed in this sequel. I found the first book to be an entertaining, light read, which suffered from a lack of female characters and a society of male geeks that didn't really ring true. I was hoping the sequel would address these points, as I knew it was set in the female society of Atlantis.

First the good - if you enjoyed the first book...
Published 12 months ago by Gwaa Zi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Building..., 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0 Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

Now it starts and throws you write in. The people of Atlantis (mainly the delegates and servants) are brilliant, and it doesn't stop once to go over stuff already said in the first book.

However, I do get the feeling that Atlantis was just a bright shiny show to distract you from the main event. It has a bit of a murder-mystery guide going on, and let's just say it's not something Sherlock would bother himself with. No, the true event is with a returning character, and I will say no more on them.

I do think it's a shame that I got distracted by the undercurrent, as the Atlantis bits a brilliant. The author didn't spend much time on the actual summit, but that's fine. Witty humour and dispute their obvious incompetence the villains are just so perfect.

Parting thoughts: read the first book to enjoy this one properly, like I said earlier, it builds on what was written before. A great read.

And just because I know no-one will read this far down-or at all-...

Bewbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic and Mayhem #2, 10 July 2014
CathyR (Ilminster, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0 Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Following on from Off To Be The Wizard, this second book in the series takes our protagonists away from their home turf in Leadchurch, Medieval England to Atlantis, a few hundred years BC, for a summit of time travellers on the use of magic powers. Very clear and detailed descriptions of Atlantis and the premise was fascinating. The city was created as a refuge and sanctuary for female time travellers as women were not treated well in most historical times. And a very intricate time travelling story line is centred around Brit the Elder and Brit the Younger from Atlantis.

The story carries on seamlessly, Martin is still rather naive and Philip is his usual testy and caustic self. Martin sees this visit to Atlantis as an opportunity to further his cause with Gwen but Martin’s luck in that department has not improved.

Anything in the world of wizards is possible and probable though, and strange and wonderful events occur with regularity. Really good and humorous interaction and drama between the characters.

The two interwoven storylines, the time travellers in Atlantis and the events unfolding in the ‘real world.’ Agents Miller and Murphy from the US Treasury Department play a big part in the real world scenario and add to the comedic impact of a very enjoyable narrative.

As with the first book, I love the humour and there were lots of laugh out loud moments and witty banter and, as always, Luke Daniels gives his own inimitable and distinctive performance, differentiating and individualizing each character.

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming sequel, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0 Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

First the good - if you enjoyed the first book there is nothing in the sequel that is going to spoil the series for you, it is largely more of the same in terms of style, plot and characterisation.

For me, I would say that is the main problem. The first book was fun as the premise and characters were novel, but by book two I felt it needed to branch off in some new directions or gain a layer or two of depth.

Instead, we get a society run by females that feels even less plausible than the men's mediaeval society. For example, there is a one-note joke about the women surrounding themselves with buff man-toys who spend their days looking pretty and having spa treatments, which fell rather flat for me the first time, let alone the tenth.
Then there is a mystery to solve, that is too reminiscent of the first book.
The magic system is expanded upon, and at least the women use it in more interesting ways than the men - but there are not really any ideas that thrilled me with their originality - if anything I found myself wondering why with almost limitless power they were so unimaginative.
The romance could have been the saving grace, as the main characters are likeable, but it felt clumsy rather than sweet to me.
A major time-travelling plot point is based around the character of Brit and this is quite interesting. The internal logic of the way time travelling operates isn't consistent though, which I found detracted from my enjoyment. I know it's first and foremost a comedy book, but I couldn't help but think "that's not right!" in a few places - maybe I'm overthinking it :-).

Finally, the brooding presence of book one's villain culminates in a somewhat muted finale, that I found unsatisfying. I'm guessing the author is setting things up for a more involved book three. Unfortunately, as is often the case, it's come at the cost of the second book feeling like a bit of a stop-gap.

In conclusion then, if, like me, you enjoyed the story and characters from the first book, check this out but don't expect too much from it. And let's hope for a much stronger book three!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally a Must Read, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0 Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Excellent sequel to the first book. It was full of new ideas with what the world of the file would be like and how they could exploit it. Great funny story and awesome characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like these books!, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0 Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
If your a techie/geek how enjoyed the matrix and thinks ready player one is the book/audiobook everyone should read at least once these books will be entertaining for you. The characters are a joy and the story is great.

Defiantly worth a listen =]

Looking forward to the next one! (if there is)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and magic galore, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0 Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This book has no shortage of witty banter, great characters who are slightly 2d, but in a good way and throws in lots of silliness.

All of which add up a real page turner that I'm sure you'll blast through. Read book one first though. No because you have to, just because you should

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 12 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0 Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Another good fun read with lots of nice nostalgic geek references, its not the longest book which makes you want to carry on reading the adventures of martin and Phillip by gong straight to the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted and entertaining, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0 Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Have thoroughly enjoyed this light hearted romp of magic and time travel, both the books have been very entertaining. I shall certainly buy book 3 when it comes out and I will look for this author again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully improbable, with enjoyable characters, 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0 Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Wonderfully improbable, with enjoyable characters. (I've broken out my DOS pocket 'how to' book just in case I find the file.) If you read the first book you'll enjoy this one. Great fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable enough but I was hoping for more, 1 April 2015
This review is from: Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0 Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Still a good read but a little disappointed that the author hasn't really created anything new or more thought provoking with the possibilities of the original premise/concept

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›