5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Gone Girl, Good Girl blows it away!
Published 2 months ago by susanl

3.0 out of 5 stars Competent Thriller.
Published 17 days ago by Pigwin

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Gone Girl, Good Girl blows it away!, 20 July 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Paperback)
Forget Gone Girl, The Good Girl blows it away. I hated Gone Girl as it was full of unlikeable characters that I could not care less about. In this book from the moment we realise Mia is missing I was hooked. Interestingly enough the next chapter shows Mia home after her disappearance so we know she has survived whatever ordeal she was subjected to. Thereafter the chapters alternate between before and after her return home. The main characters are Mia, her mother, the police detective investigating her disappearance Gabe and her captor Colin and as the story progresses each character changes and as such our opinion of each changes also. There is very little I can say about the plot line without giving anything away, but I can say it is the first thriller I have read that I felt far more sorry for the captor than I did the actual victim. Debut novel or not this thriller was amazing and the pages literally turned themselves and what made it even more impressive was the ending as often you are left underwhelmed at the conclusion of an otherwise gripping tired disappearance storyline and as such acclaimed thriller novelists should watch their back!

3.0 out of 5 stars Competent Thriller., 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Paperback)
The daughter of a prominent Chicago judge, Mia comes from an extremely wealthy background but is a huge disappointment to her father who despises her artistic nature and the fact that she works as an art teacher - unlike her sister Grace, who followed in his footsteps and for whom a promising career in law now beckons. One night Mia arranges to meet her boyfriend in a bar and when he fails to turn up allows herself to be chatted up by a stranger who abducts her after she foolishly leaves the bar with him. This is the bare bones of what turns out to be a rather convoluted thriller.

The story is told from the perspective of Mia's Mother Eve, the detective assigned to the case, Gabe and Colin the abductor and alternates between before and after the abduction. This allows readers to get an idea of what makes Colin tick as well as getting to know Eve and Gabe and through their accounts, Mia's father.

This novel has been compared to Gone Girl but I enjoyed this book far more - probably due in no small part to the fact that the characters are more engaging and sympathetic than in Gillian Flynn's book. The writing is tight and moves the story along although I felt the pace palled slightly at times. Kubica conveys the desolation and extremely harsh conditions in the Minnesota woods and insofar as possible manages to lend credibility to the growing bond between Mia and Colin à la Stockholm Syndrome!

There are many strands to this story and the growing attraction between Gabe and Eve is heart-warming and I would be very surprised if other readers did not find some shred of sympathy for Colin on learning the circumstances of his childhood and young adulthood.

My one real criticism of the book is probably what will make it most appealing to some readers as, while much is made of the twists and the shock ending, I would have preferred just one really subtle yet no less shocking twist rather than what I felt was an overly convoluted and far fetched finale.

Yet the story held my interest and the novel should appeal to fans of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing debut. Highly recommended, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Paperback)
Sometimes, being a book blogger means that you get to discover an author you may have never have encountered through the normal bookselling channels. This is one such case. I wouldn’t normally associate Harlequin with thrillers but the MIRA division is a new approach and having read the blurb and seeing the fantastic cover, I was sucked in. A few pages in, I had to check that this was a debut novel, and it was. This is an author to watch out for!
Mia Dennett, daughter of a wealthy, prominent Judge and his English born, stunning wife, has always been unique. A lover of art, independent thinking and basically anything the opposite of her father’s world. Rarely seen at home since she left at eighteen, Judge Dennett doesn’t seem too worried when she is reported missing by her friend. Her mother, Eve, knows something is wrong and will do anything to find Gabe Hoffman is assigned the case and traces her last movements. Meanwhile, Mia is cold, terrified and has no idea what is happening to her........

Mary Kubica has written a story of any mother’s worst nightmare. The disappearance of her child, no matter what their age. The Chicago based family are not used to getting their own way and are divided in how to approach the whole ordeal. Detective Hoffman resents their wealth and power but yet manages to form a connection with Eve. Their mutual desire to discover what has happened to Mia is the momentum the case needs. Alongside this, is Mia’s story. The reader knows from the start where she is and why she is there, but Mia herself doesn’t. I won’t divulge any more information as it is the unknown that keeps you flicking those pages over. And flick, I did. Read in one 24 hour period, I loved this book. It was a perfect pace, dragging you along nicely, great characters, amazing location descriptions and plenty of thrills. It resembles some of Harlan Coben’s stand alone novels and is a great cross gender novel. No fluffed out filler chapters, just one great page after another. A psychological thriller with the flair of a more established author, I can’t wait for Mary’s next book! MIRA, I am impressed........

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and twisty, 13 Sep 2014
J Juckes "Hades2" (, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for my copy, this is in exchange for an honest review

Mmmmm little book, you are dark, twisty and just how I like psychological mind bending stories. This one jumped straight in, no messing no fuss. Thrust into the story like a fast flowing river, I did have to come up for air to re-evaluate what was going on. It is a little bit confusing to get into, but when things settle down it's rivetting.

Three different perspectives and all jumping around from past to present. I had to keep my witts about me to keep up with what was going on. Maybe this is the real reason why it didn't come in as a five star.

Did I gel with the characters, maybe not as much as I wanted to. There was a bit of a lack of connection there, maybe again the bouncing from past to present didn't help with this. But it was nice to see the story unravel from the different characters look on things. I did start to think I knew where the plot was going, but it took a turn and I didn't have time to see it coming. I do like a few twists in a book, good to keep me guessing. I really don't like flat line books as I call them, I do like a few heart stoppers to add adrenaline. This book did have those I'm pleased to say.

If you like a good thrilling, twisty and dark read, then go for it. It might not be the best thriller I've read, but it is damn good.

I do look forward to reading more books from this author.

Overall:
Enjoyed this and would definitely recommend this to fans of psychological thrillers

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 12 Sep 2014
I give it - 5/5

My review - This is such an amazing story! I started it last night and never put it down! Mary has written one of the best Thriller stories I have read this year!

The story for me really had me from the synopsis. I was wondering what had happened to Mia, what was going on with her family and just had to read to find out what happened and I was disappointed at all!

My favourite thing about this story is how each chapter is from a different POV of a main character and before and after what happened with Mia and I love how when Mary writes what's going on with one character the next chapter will be about another character and what's going on with them at the same time and it really helps the story and brings the plot line together.

I could praise this story all night but I would spoil it for everyone and I want everyone to go and get this book and read it now because it is so perfect and brilliant!

This story was so fantastic and made you think about what was going to happen, which I love and the ending was not what I was expecting at all! I was so shocked! Such a great twist to the story and made it even more brilliant!

If you're going to buy a book soon I really recommend this one. The Good Girl is one of the most best thrillers I have read all year and really kept me guessing and with the shock of the ending it really had me gasping and shouting 'OMG!' all around my room.

Mary has written such an amazing story and I really can't wait to see what she writes next.

New favourite author? I think so.

4.0 out of 5 stars chilling read, 8 Aug 2014
Mrs. K. M. Rufus (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
The Good Girl is a psychological thriller, following Mia Dennett, the young and care free daughter of a judge who is kidnapped by the enigmatic stranger who she met in a bar, Colin. We follow Gabe, the detective investigating her disapperance, her mother Eve and kidnapper Colin, as well as Mia through out the ordeal through flashbacks, and in the days following her kidnapping. But I will stop there as I do not want to give too much away and spoil the story.

The Good Girl throws you straight in to the action and had me hooked from the beginning. It was fast paced and gritty, meaning I found myself sat up until the early hours of the morning, desperate to find out what would happen next. I haven't read a good psychological thriller in a while and so this was a refreshing break from all the chick lit books I've been reading recently.

The plot is brilliant, it is cleverly thought out and there were some brilliant twists to the plot which I never saw coming. And wow, what an ending! That was the biggest surprise of the whole book, but an incredible conclusion (I don't want to give any spoilers so will stop here, you will have to read TGG for yourself). I loved how the chapters were written from a different characters view point, I loved this insight in to their perspective of what was happening and seeing the developing relationships and the impacts these had on the story as a whole.

The characters were all incredibly diverse and brilliantly written, I could feel real empathy for each of them. Even Colin, at first I despised his character, but through his thoughts and as the story developed, I actually found myself becoming quite fond of him. In fact he was probably my favourite character.

It was hard to believe that The Good Girl was a debut novel, such was the skill and brilliance with which Mary Kubia wrote this book.The Good Girl was brilliantly written and flowed seamlessly between the past and present, and the different characters.

The Good Girl is a truly chilling read and is no doubt going to be a massive success. I am so glad I read this book as it really is a treasure and certainly deserves all the praise it has been receiving. This a book which I could easily have devoured in one sitting and it definitely stayed with me for a while after I finished it.

So if you love a psychological thriller and want a gripping read which will surprise you throughout, this is most definitely the book for you. So get clicking the link below and buy your copy today!

Thank you to Cara for sending my a copy of The Good Girl in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant debut psychological thriller., 2 Aug 2014
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
Mia is in a bar, she's been stood up by her boyfriend and then she is approached by a man, Colin Thatcher, she leaves with him but fairly quickly realises that this could have been the worst decision of her life.

Not only is the story told in the first person by four different characters; Colin, Mia's mother Eve, Detective Hoffman who is searching for her and Mia herself, the narratives also switch backwards and forwards and if that wasn't enough to follow there is no warning when the narrative changes.

At first I found this style mildly off-putting but it has the effect of dragging you into the story, after all there is no reading to the end of the chapter in this book because there are no chapters; just one swirling narrative backwards and forwards. In the hands of a less accomplished writer this style of writing could easily have turned into a disaster but I loved it. Colin's was by far the most compelling of the narrators but all shine a light on different aspects of the tale.

Beneath the main plot there are prosaic truths some often repeated: `You can't judge a book by its cover' others dealing with the nature of complicated relationships. Mia's with her parents, Colin with his mother and Eve's with her husband, Judge James Dennett all of which pull the plot in different directions as the reader considers what is known at any given point.

This is one of those books where I got to the end and wanted to reread it again to see how it reads, once you know the outcome, I didn't but I think this one will be re-read because I think what is beneath the surface of this book is as important as the plot.

This is a cracking debut and I look forward to more from Mary Kubica in the future.

I received my copy of this book from the publishers, Harlequin UK in return for my honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent twisty tale...., 1 Aug 2014
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Good Girl (Paperback)
Now we all know I love a good twisty tale – and this was an excellent example – with some great characters, a wonderful flow and a genuinely intriguing mystery, cleverly constructed and very addictive.

Mia lives separately from her rich and influential family – when she meets a stranger in a bar, she impulsively agrees to go home with him – however he is not what he appears and soon she finds herself in real danger, cut off from civilisation and fighting to survive. Meanwhile, back at home, her Mother is determined to find out what has happened to Mia, despite her husband’s insistence that there is nothing wrong.

My favourite thing about this one was the way the story came together – short snappy chapters telling first one person’s story then another and set both in the before and after – cleverly done so you are often looking backwards as well as forwards – one event may lead you to interpret a previous happening differently. The characters are all well drawn, from Mia herself, her family,Gabe the policeman who searches doggedly for clues and right at the centre, my favourite person in the mix, Colin. The Man who took her away…

Add to that some intelligent plotting, a plethora of clues to follow, some wonderfully emotional moments and a bad guy you will fall in love with and you have a most terrific story that will make the dullest day flow past you at break neck speed. The ending lives up to the promise of the rest (I did in fact work it out quite a bit before but was REALLY hoping to be wrong) and overall this is a most terrific example of its kind.

Highly Recommended for fans of the psychological thriller and a story with a sting in the tail…

**review via netgalley review copy thank you***

4.0 out of 5 stars Hunter or Hunted?, 1 Aug 2014
Ismay1012 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
This is a very good, exciting debut novel with a real kick to it, many twists and turns as the story develops and also the most surprising and unexpected of finales. It fizzes with tension and energy. The story starts with a daring contract kidnapping and continues with the kidnapper and the hostage being forced into hiding in a very basic remote wooden shack in the depths of a densely forested landscape and beside a lake.

As their lives descend into an icy chaos, Mia and Owen struggle for survival. Winter is fast approaching, their surroundings are becoming increasingly hostile and their fears are escalating. They both know that they must surely be the most wanted and searched for and therefore recognisable couple in the area. With time, food and money running out, law enforcement agencies must surely be on their tracks, uncovering new clues and information that will be their un-doing. Unable to make a move and break cover, the tension between Mia, now named Chloe and Owen, her fictional name for the man that took her from her previous life, are sizzling. But they are both harbouring secrets that they cannot reveal to each other, secrets that could perhaps save them from the inevitable. Things are not at all as they seem and this is the key to this astounding thriller. All at once, prepare to be shocked and this is the great strength of Mary Kubica’s debut.

I enjoyed this novel, written with enormous confidence and maturity. I really look forward to reading her second novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complex read that is wholly rewarding and is moving and disturbing in equal measures., 18 July 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Paperback)
I can not believe this book is a debut! Kubica has a unique style of writing that draws you in immediately. The story is told from multiple view points, shifting between narrators and flitting between different times. Its a complex read that is wholly rewarding and is moving and disturbing in equal measures. So much more than your typical 'abduction thriller' I loved the way it gave me shivers one minute and made me close to tears the next.
The characters literally jump off the page and whilst its hard to go into detail for fear of spoiling the excellent plot, I really enjoyed how the novel turned certain characters on their heads meaning the ones you trust are sometimes the ones you should fear the most.
The novel delves deeply into the butterfly effect of how a split second can impact on so many lives and the consequences that follow.
Rich in beautiful prose, I savoured every single word and found myself reading slower and slower so it wouldn't have to end!
I can not recommend this book highly enough, a spine tingling, thought provoking journey that will stay with me for a very long time 'We were here, I think, but its someone else who leaves.'

Thank you so much to the publishers and to NetGalley for the advance copy.

The Good Girl