5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome monitor, it sure needs a 5 star...
Ok i am giving this a 5 star not because it is perfect in every single way as nothing ever is! Because of its value for money, build quality, features and picture quality.

Pros
Published 7 months ago by William Randall

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good monitor, however, shame on BenQ for image misrepresentation...
Very good monitor for photos, films and sexy graphics, not so good for hardcore gamers. This monitor has a 60hz refresh rate which is good enough for most gamers, and a 4ms response time which is also faster than most mainstream monitors.

The MASSIVE gripe I have about this monitor and BenQ as a company is the huge misrepresentation in the photos of this...
Published 1 month ago by benjiman46

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome monitor, it sure needs a 5 star..., 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: BenQ EW2440L LED VA 24-inch Monitor (3000:1, 250 cd/m2, 1920 x 1080, 4 ms, 20M:1 VGA/HDMI/MHL) (Personal Computers)

Pros
- Excellent reduced blue levels. Now if you are using a monitor for more than 3 hours a day this is a definite plus as it offers an excellent range of reduced blue light levels which is very kind for your eyes.
- Central rear ports. Easy access and tidy as your wires hang straight down behind the neck of the monitor
- Awesome non reflective matte finish with excellent viewing angles.
- Great non flicker refresh rate which makes my second HP monitor look awful in comparison
- No crazy auto adjustments which i have seen on other monitors - it just works!
- 4mm edge to the monitor, not as minimal as pictured but still a super slim bezel
- Very sturdy and a perfect weight to not be too heavy to move but not too light to wobble around.
- Really nice finish to the back and front. Looks really high quality
- Very solid in its build
- small power pack
- very low power

Cons (these are minor, if they were a problem i would lower the rating)
- The phone stand is a little pointless in my opinion, if it had an integrated iphone charger i would use it! but i just forget its there.
- Integrated speakers, all monitors with integrated speakers are poor, even £1000+ LED TVs have poor integrated speakers compared to what you get with a simple 2.1 or 5.1 sound system. I'm happy that the option is there as many monitors don't offer anything but don't be blown away by the sound quality, Its ok at best - there is no bass and the channel quality is basic so just buy some cheap speakers with a sub. Don't take notice of the people giving poor reviews due to sound quality, It's a monitor you're buying after all not a sound system!
- The buttons on the monitor are on a touch pad in the lower right of the monitor - they are a little difficult to use as you don't know where to touch to use the buttons, so you are kind of guessing. They work fine but i would prefer an outline as to where the touch of each button ends
- No option for dual or triple monitor mounts
- No screen rotation, just tilt adjustment offered (which isn't a problem due to the size of the thing!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor for almost all uses, Beautiful Picture, high contrast ratio, good colour and good response for gaming, 4 Mar. 2014
Its a pretty huge monitor, which is both good and bad, I upgraded to this mostly for gaming on consoles (360 and ps4/xbox one)

I tried out some of the competition here are my opinions:-

Dell 2414H - Low contrast in comparison, I noticed no improvement in responsiveness, side by side ANYONE would choose the Benq, Dell looked grey and washed out the colours on the Benq looked slightly different but still beautiful, but the constrast and blacks are BEAUTIFUL! The Dell has a very nice stand and looks great when turned off, but I'd rather have a great picture when turned on.

AOC I2757FM - Again low contrast, very similar to dell, beautiful looking monitor(bezel and stand) but the picture wasn't a patch on the Benq, no movement in stand(same as Benq).

Now on to the Benq EW2740L.

I keep saying this but you really have to see it, the contrast is beautiful, it makes games and movies look great, I guess if you are going to do office work any of the monitor would be fine, but then again so would any cheap monitor. If you play games of watch films then the contrast and black level are important (colour is too but them are all great for colour) The Benq is far superior for colour or contrast and you WILL notice it. I have tried and tried to notice problems with response times but as long as you avoid the AMA Premium setting I see no artefacts or ghosting, my skills in COD and Battlefield have improved, everything looks beautiful and my photos look more natural and rich than them did with my old monitor.

If you want a monitor at this time and only want a 1080p resolution (console gaming or tv and movies) then this is the one, it might be worth waiting for another year it get even better response times but the contrast, colour,price and responsiveness/lag here are a pretty amazing combination if you have £210 to spend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and does the Job!, 11 Aug. 2014
I decided on the 24inch model after a long drawn out think about 24 vs 27. Real glad I went for the 24; it's just the right size for my desk. Picture quality with Mac and PS3 are superb at this price-point and I highly recommend this model! Must note that the first 2 sent had the wrong plug, but spoke with Amazon on the phone, they deducted 10% off and i just bought the cloverleaf plug from a local shop for £4.99. Also called BenQ and it seems like a dodgy batch was sent to Amazon... Couldn't drop a star for this though, as the monitor is just what I was looking for and great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reducing eye strain or fatigue, 12 Feb. 2015
Paul (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this monitor in an attempt to reduce eye fatigue - and am delighted with the results. I wear glasses (with anti-reflective coating) and found my eyes felt strained and sore after 3 or 4 hours in front of my previous monitor. Not good when I needed to spend all day working in front of it. Happily, the BenQ WE2440L with its Low Blue Light mode provided instant results.

For those that don't know, blue light has a shorter wavelength than others in the visible light spectrum, close to wavelength of the UV radiation, and is thought to be a leading cause of eye fatigue and strain. I set it the Low Blue Light mode to "Office -70%". That gave the monitor a slightly jaundiced appearance, but I quickly got used to it, and it felt entirely normal within a day or two.

The effect on my eyes has been fantastic. They still feel a little tired after a long day at work, but they don't feel strained or sore. I don't need to put cold cucumber slices on them any more! The best comparison I can give is that when Low Blue Light mode is on it's more like reading from paper than from a computer monitor, which is a much better experience for the eyes.

Quite apart from the Low Blue Light mode, this is a really impressive monitor, flicker-free and sharp. I use the monitor mainly for office work, word processing and internet, so I'm not gaming or working with photos etc, but it more than meets my needs.

On the negative side, the integrated speakers are horrible, weedy and tinny, really only suitable for system sounds and not for music/video etc. That wasn't a problem for me as I have external speakers.

The only other minor gripe is that set up took a little longer than expected, as it didn't recognise an HDMI input out of the box, and start-up instructions weren't clear - you have to access the menu using the touch buttons on the bottom right to select the input.

Overall, though, the benefits of the Low Blue Light mode far outweigh any negatives, and I can't give this monitor anything less than 5 stars. Highly recommended if you suffer from eye strain or fatigue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, with excellent all round performance at a realistic price., 18 Oct. 2014
Bob K "Bob" (Europe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Having restricted desk space, initially the lack of bezel on the 24" struck me right away. So I read as many comparison reviews as I could find before buying.
Although the visible bezel is only a couple of millimetres thick, in practice the display area only goes to 5mm from the bezel making 7mm in use, but the displayed diagonal is 61mm / 24".

First a gripe. The power lead supplied is a C13 D type PC / Kettle plug which does not fit the power supply. What is required is a C5 cloverleaf laptop type. Other reviewers have previously noted this. A replacement was not a problem though being covered by Amazon. (Interestingly the graphics of the power supply and lead in the manual show both to be the C13 D type).

Also included was an HDMI lead and MHL cable. No D sub or audio leads provided.

In use the quick start guide could be improved, as more information is required for easy initial use.
It is worth reading the full manual on the CD before changing to this monitor as you need to understand the touch buttons to set the cable input to even get a display. The auto select sound source did not detect the PC input, I had to set it manually, even after resetting the factory default volume up from zero.

The touch sensitive buttons are excellent and easy to use, (if you can see where they are). On / off is a tiny manual push button under the bottom right.

The low blue light function initially takes some getting used to, making everything seem a bit yellow & washed out. But you very quickly get used to it. Easy to switch on / off from the touch panel for correct colour rendering when required. It certainly seems to reduce eyestrain if like me you spend a good part of the day at your monitor.
The preset 100% brightness I found way too much but easy to adjust once you understand the touch controls. There is also a utility included on the CD called Display Pilot with a wizard option for easy setup. Do be sure to install the specific BenQ driver from the CD as Windows will just install a generic one.

Once set up the display is absolutely excellent, crisp & clear with high contrast and exceptionally wide viewing angles, (all when compared to the 20" 4x3 Samsung it replaced, also running at 1920x1080).
Also excellent is no evidence of any dead pixels, which is unusual as there are normally a few.

As noted by others, the speakers are pretty abysmal but this may be due in part to them being rear facing. If it is important, you will probably already have a separate sound system.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase. Stylish, well made and not at all flimsy like most.

At the price I paid (£139.99) it is an absolute no brainer. Full 5 Stars from me, I would definitely give more if I could, and it really is that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 23 July 2014
M. ISMAEL (UK) - See all my reviews
I received my EW2440L monitor today from a different website,lets start with the biggest bad point,first it came with wrong type of mains power lead to the monitor power adaptor ie came with your standard 3 pin PSU/Monitor mains lead rather then C5 cloverleaf mains lead (3 pin but rounded pins)which is what the AC power adaptor needs,lucky for me I had one lying around from my Samsung laptop ,you can get them from Amazon or Ebay for about £1.60 to 3 quid.

I advised Amazon to check that the right type of mains power leads come in the box for future customers,if not report the issue to BenQ.

Screen quality is excellent,I calibrated mine via SpyderExpress calibration tool.Box does come with HDMI and VGA cables.
Blacks are great so are viewing angles,colours are good as well.No dead pixels on mine but I paid for pixel check.

I have done some gaming and had no issues even with FPS games online with AMVA set to high.

Do note no DVI connection on monitor,only HDMI,VGA,HDMI-MHL.

Monitor controls are touch type,make sure you set AMA to high for gaming(default setting) and reduce brightness from 100 default setting(way too high).
I find brightness around 30 to 35 and contrast 40 to 50 better via HDMI.

Overall happy with mine .
Hope this quick review helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as i expected for the price., 25 Dec. 2014
I like it and for the price its an excellent monitor.

Downsides:
The pictures show it being rimless; it not. there's a 2mm plastic edge all the way round which isn't really noticeable but there is a black border of about 6-7mm where the pixels of the display stop all the way round. this only bothers me because one of the pictures clearly shows the picture all the way to the edge. [Attached is an image to show this].

The option for connecting my phone via HDMI didn't seem to work with my GS4. Im probably doing something wrong but i figured it would be plug 'n' play...

This is probably a setup thing but i have the monitor about 2.5ft away from my head and i am able to see pixels. I cant decide whether this i because i'm too close (probably) or because, for this size of screen, 1080p isn't enough...

Anyway with that said i'm very happy with this monitor and it looks spectacular standing on my desk. I will be recommending this.

As a side note, the blue reduction is a nice touch. if you're looking at white for longer than half an hour (e.g. web surfing) then hitting the blue reduction button takes a lot of strain off the eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10/10 have bought again., 17 Dec. 2014
Bought these during July of 2014, and not once have they let me down. The clarity of the image which the monitor produces is very, very clear. I went from using a standard monitor to this one, and the difference is very noticeable.
I'm extremely amazed how the monitor displays the blacks and white's.
As a photographer who shoots commonly in B&W it's a perfect match, however for the colour side of the monitor, they are bloody beautiful. I play games such as DoTA2, CS:GO, WoW, Bf3/4 and LoL, and not once was I disappointed, yo can rarely see the pixels from the monitor, which is nice as some monitors the pixels are very noticeable.
The Phone/Ipod stand is also a nice little touch, people have even modded this monitor so their phone will charge which could be a possible design which BenQ could consider in the future.

I've also purchased two of these monitors, that's how good they are.

However, there was one problem, the monitor leant sightly towards the left, only by 2 degrees or so. On further inspection, it was my fault as I didn't tighten the screw properly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good screen - BUT - Came with the wrong power cord, 3 Jun. 2014
very good screen & well worth buying - BUT-

It came with the wrong power cord as the plug block was a normal 3pin but the power block (Transformer) is a cloverleaf (C5) style.

Amazon refunded 10% of cost so I could order another of there site (£0.99p)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice. Better panel / image quality than similar priced TN's, 23 Nov. 2014
Adrian "adrianjfrost" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a really nice general use (and stylish) monitor. Images are crisp, the low blue light really does seem to help. Even the touch sensitive buttons are nice - for the money it is about the best "designer" 24 inch around. To get better quality you need to stretch the budget (a lot) for an IPS panel or go back to the "old fashioned" looking panels with chunky bezels

Best bits:
Stylish, small size but big screen (if that doesnt sound silly) and really good "everyday use" image quality
No dead or stuck pixels

Less good:
The VA panel still shows some colour change at the edges with normal desktop viewing distance - but I am sensitive to this (my other monitor is a professional grade , calibrated IPS). My wife hasn't even noticed and for office / web / films / games it is plenty good enough. For colour critical work you may want something better
Illumination is a little uneven (again I notice these things) with the bottom corners especially. Looking at other examples this seems typical, again in "normal" use this is ok
Our first EW2440L monitor was DOA but Amazon sorted an exchange easily enough - hope it proves reliable (if it does than its worth 5 stars)