5.0 out of 5 stars At last a GREAT new legal thriller
Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy.

Terry Flynt is a struggling legal clerk, desperately trying to get promoted. And then he is given the biggest opportunity of his career: to help defend a millionaire accused of murdering a woman in his hotel suite.

The only problem is that the accused man, Vernon James, turns out to be...
Published 6 months ago by Liz Wilkins

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not great
When i started this book I really enjoying it but the more I read the more improbable and utterly unlikely the story became. And then there were so many inaccuracies.

If you are going to quote the police caution, get it right. The police officer in the book says "it may harm your defence if you do not mention IN EVIDENCE something you later rely on in...
Published 6 months ago by Sandie

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down., 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
One of the best books I've come across. I hope hs others will be as good. A hard act to follow but Grisham did it....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Paperback)
Brilliant!
A gripping and exciting Legal thriller!

I was a bit worried when I was reading the Prologue that this book would be about a person I was already loathing. In another words Vernon James is a Despicable and a disgrace as a human being (as Christine describes him)

But as soon as I started to read part one I fell in love with the book, because it is written in Terry's voice and he is very likable, and all his doubts are the same doubts that the reader is having. He is not a perfect Man, but a perfect "underdog"! And I'm sure some readers will easily see them reflected in him!

This book is very easy to read and fast paced. The writing is tight and compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!!, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
Wow. I am so glad I took the opportunity to look at this book and its reviews. If it weren't for them I might have passed it by. The story telling flows, the characters become real and in the court room you have a VIP seat, at least that's how I felt reading this. I would love to see another book about Terry, his family and his life after this case, but until or if that happens I will definitely read more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars My best book by Nick Stone, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Paperback)
The Verdict is the best ever crime court room drama book that I have ever read. I highly recommend The Verdict to all crime fans. What you can expect is that all 578 pages are fantastically page turning chapters with secrets twist and turns that are packed on every page. I believe that I found a new crime author to follow. Nick Stone has been labled that London now has its own John Grisham flair in the court scenes. Review by ireadnovels.wordpress.com

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as John Grisham, 21 Aug 2014
Bagsy (Northamptonshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
A really good legal thriller. The writing was very good and although legal thrillers are not my usual choice I do like John Grisham and I would compare this to something that Grisham has done. I do hope that this author continues with the lead character as this particular reviewer found him engaging and would be happy to read another book with him in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Verdict: Excellent, 25 July 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant story, Terry works for a law firm defending someone he knew long ago..... and hates! Great description of how he tries to prove the guy's innocence despite their past. Love how the author fits in the story against the backdrop of real life events.... the Royal Wedding, the London riots, preparations for the Olympics etc. I couldn't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars The verdict by Nick Stone, 29 Jan 2014
Steven (CARDIFF, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Verdict (Unabridged) (Audio Download)
Even though it is only January, I think I've probably read what is going to be one of my favourite books of the year. This is the first book by Nick Stone I've read and it is absolutely brilliant. I was wary because of all the glowing praise from other authors/press quotes. You often see these `rent a quote' comments plastered on the book description and often, I am left feeling disappointed after reading the book as they don't live up to the hype. This intelligent and complex legal thriller did though!

The premise is intriguing, Terry Flynt, a struggling law clerk helping to defend a childhood friend who he fell out with and who is now accused of murder.

This is a long book but the pace is perfect and, if anything, I wish it could have been longer. Stone's characterisation is spot on. Terry Flynt is wonderfully complex and human. He is flawed and makes mistakes but still comes across in a sympathetic way and you are drawn in to his world. The other main characters are well-drawn also, from a cynical investigator with secrets of his own to a dying barrister for whom the trial of Vernon James will be her final case. The writing is excellent and the book flows beautifully and the court room scenes in particular are gripping. The conclusion feels well thought out and is very satisfying.

I must admit that I usually find that the American authors have the market cornered when it comes to exciting legal thrillers--I've never come across a British one before with the excitement of a Connelly or Grisham... until now. I hope terry Flint may become a recurring character in future Nick Stone books or, at the very least, that he writes more legal thrillers.

Very highly recommended. (Review of the unabridged audio edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Hardcover)
Love the book have read all his books and loved every one my husband it too we are lucky we both enjoy the same books

5.0 out of 5 stars A Class Act, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Hardcover)
Nick Stone's fourth novel – a legal thriller set in London – is a cut above. He introduces us to Terry Flynt, a legal clerk with a chequered past, who finds himself as part of the team tasked with defending Vernon James, a successful businessman on trial for the murder of a young woman in his hotel suite. But James is far from being just another client: he and Flynt were close childhood friends, until an act of betrayal by James cost Flynt dearly and sent his life into a tailspin from which he is only just recovering. The crossing of paths twenty years later throws up a number of juicy moral dilemmas (e.g. can Flynt effectively defend the man who betrayed him?) which are compounded when his investigations alongside the wonderfully shady and crabby PI Andy Swayne start to suggest that the case against James is not nearly as open and shut as it first appeared. Could James be innocent?
As with Stone’s previous books, the prose is fluid and engaging, the pace nigh-on perfect, and the various threads and characters neatly and skilfully handled, building to a conclusion that’s difficult to see coming. The characters are well-crafted and credible: Stone is adept at capturing nuances and flaws (and sometimes just downright ugliness) in a way that can make you think you are reading about real people. Indeed, just like people in the real world, his characters are never static and one-dimensional: witness the development of the lead character Flynt over the course of the book, very skilfully executed. Keeping with the “real world” theme, Stone effortlessly weaves his narrative into historical events, namely the London riots of 2011, which gives the story greater punch and relevance. Handled properly, the story would translate well to television.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
I loved the quirkiness of this set up and the amount of research which the author must have done was awe inspiring