5.0 out of 5 stars At last a GREAT new legal thriller
Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy.

Terry Flynt is a struggling legal clerk, desperately trying to get promoted. And then he is given the biggest opportunity of his career: to help defend a millionaire accused of murdering a woman in his hotel suite.

The only problem is that the accused man, Vernon James, turns out to be...
Published 7 months ago by Liz Wilkins

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not great
When i started this book I really enjoying it but the more I read the more improbable and utterly unlikely the story became. And then there were so many inaccuracies.

If you are going to quote the police caution, get it right. The police officer in the book says "it may harm your defence if you do not mention IN EVIDENCE something you later rely on in...
Published 6 months ago by Sandie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a GREAT new legal thriller, 24 Jan 2014
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Verdict (Hardcover)
Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy.

The only problem is that the accused man, Vernon James, turns out to be Terry's sworn enemy - a man who betrayed him and turned all his friends against him at university. This case could potentially make Terry's career, but how can he defend a man that he loathes?

So I love a good legal thriller. I like SOME Grisham, depending on how political it is and I used to adore Steve Martini's Paul Madriani books until they became way too much about government conspiracy theories. About the only legal thrillers I read these days belong to John Lescroart. When I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of "The Verdict" I was very excited, not least because Nick Stone's Mr Clarinet was a wonderful read so I knew the writing standard would be high.

I loved it. Immediately engrossed I could hardly bear to put it down. Vernon James is accused of murder - he claims innocence but the evidence is overwhelming. Terry knows Vernon of old - way back when, Vernon destroyed his life. When he is put on Vernon's case, Terry has to hide this old connection. However the past is about to come back to haunt both of them...

So well written and absolutely moving at a perfect pace, with some really terrific characters (I loved Christine, and absolutely adored Terry himself, he is so beautifully flawed in such a normal way) this was a well drawn and compelling mystery thriller. The courtroom scenes are genuinely exciting - and I do love that this is all set within the British legal system. You may not get a "You can't HANDLE the truth" moment because we British are not nearly so melodramatic, but you do get real sense of urgency and are never sure what is coming.

The resolution is clever and unexpected and I genuinely hope that Nick Stone will write more legal based novels - certainly I would love to see Terry back again to find out how he gets on!

Happy Reading Folks!

5.0 out of 5 stars READ IT!!, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
Suddenly out of nowhere there is a new kid on the block. Nick Stone has written a stonkingly good book that ticks all the boxes for a successful and enthrallling legal thriller. A sympathetic and flawed leading figure and hero who is well portrayed and credible and hopelessly compromised over his feelings about the accused who he has to help defend. Fast paced action whilst still leaving space for the main characters to develop. Sound knowledge of the legal system and court procedure. Good sub-characters and a series of blind allies and red herrings to further engage and confuse the reader. Oh, and most importantly the author can really write well too.

All in all this is the whole package. Comparisons are already being made - even by the publisher and publicist - to John Grisham. I find the comparison facile. Nick Stone is a far better writer in my opinion and can really tell a tale. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not The Same Old Thing, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were well drawn and it was pacey without being frantic. It wasn't at all obvious hoe the plot was going to unfold which meant the interest was held at all times. I also liked the way the personal relationships were portrayed. Having a cross between a detective story and a courtroom drama made a pleasant change from the old staid format.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE VERDICT IS YES, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book after reading the first two rave reviews. Firstly, I had a sample sent to my kindle, as it is not always a good idea to rely on other peoples judgment. After reading the sample I could hardly wait to download the full book. I am honestly enjoying every page of this book. There is so much to say about it. The plot is easy to follow, there is much about the legal system which is revealed to the reader, making it informative as well as entertaining. The main characters are well defined and easy to understand. I would like to add, I normally do not read this type of book I am more into historical books or ones about family sagas, but reading this has just caught me. All and all a really wonderful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
Could not put it down! Really enjoyed this, so much life was put on hold for 24 hours......can't wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! If you read only one thiller this year make it this one, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
I've read two Nick Stone books before, "Mr Clarinet" and "Voodoo Eyes". I really enjoyed them so I ordered "The Verdict".

Loved it! This is every bit as good as the reviews say it is. Others have summed up the plot really well, so I won't add to that, except to say that there are some very unexpected twists in the tale, and you won't see the ending coming. Most of the reviewers have singled out the courtroom finale in particular for praise. I too give it top marks.

There are some "laugh out loud" moments in "The Verdict", mostly in the way the narrator Terry copes and deals with a horrible work colleague he has nicknamed Adolph, and some of my favourite lines in the book come early when Terry describes his attitude to office life. This is just one of the examples of what makes Nick Stone stand out of the crowd, he does not just write a good story. All the characters are well rounded and the descriptions make you feel like you are actually there, as he has done with his previous books.

I'm a big fan of legal thrillers, especially John Grisham "The Verdict" is every bit as good as the best of his work. It is paced and structured in the style of an American legal thriller, without sacrificing its Britishness – yes Nick Stone is one of our own.

It's fast, furious and very difficult to put down, but it is not a book to discard after reading as you will want to read it again to find all the clues.

I don't know if Nick Stone plans to write another "Terry Flynt" book or more legal thrillers, but I certainly hope so. "The Verdict" is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 11 April 2014
Dilettante (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
Very good thriller, read it on a flight and the time whizzed by. Strongly recommended - well written and compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, 23 April 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Hardcover)
Excellent! Best read for a long while. My favourite Nick Stone book to date. Can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best crime novel I have read for a long time, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Hardcover)
A fast paced legal thriller by a winner of the CWA steel dagger award. I agree with Mark Billingham, The Verdict is in a style that reminded me of John Grisham at his best.

For those of you that read "Mr Clarinet", Nick Stone's first novel, you will see that the style of writing is equally good but very different. Where "Mr Clarinet" was gritty, heavy with menace and evocative of a dark frightening Haiti, "The Verdict" is in more familiar and comfortable territory of the British Court room.

I thought the style fresh, exciting, a real page turner. Hoping Nick will give us more Terry Flynt, I really liked him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it but didn't love it, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Verdict (Kindle Edition)
On the positive side, this book has a great plot and I really wanted to know what would happen next. I liked Terry, he was both believable and flawed. I can see where the comparisons with John Grisham come from but this book isn't in the same league as, say, 'The Firm'.

My quibbles are: the details: referring to the judge during the court scenes as 'your Lord'; the grammar: "him and (someone else - I forget who....) shared a secretary"; the careless use of language: a strap on the dress was "busted"; and most of all the sloppy editing: confusing 'ingenious' with 'ingenuous' and 'emphatically' with 'empathically'. Also, there were a couple of plot cul-de-sacs, most notably when the identity of the person Evelyn was calling was revealed and the revelation went precisely nowhere.

Still, this is a really enjoyable book and I would certainly read his next offering.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›