5.0 out of 5 stars Marius Mules VI - Caesar's Vow by SJA Turney
Published 6 months ago by Paul Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars go Fronto
Not the best of the series. But bridges nicely. Looking forward to the next set of books. Great part of history to cover.
Published 5 months ago by bob

5.0 out of 5 stars Marius Mules VI - Caesar's Vow by SJA Turney, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Marius' Mules VI: Caesar's Vow (Kindle Edition)
Those of you who have read the previous volumes in this series may not find it hard to believe but I will say it anyway...they just keep getting better. The author left himself a considerable task at the end of book 4...to refresh your memory it is there that the main fictional character, Marcus Falerius Fronto, has a major falling out with his friend and commanding general, Gaius Julius Caesar. A rift so vast that Fronto leaves the army and spends the whole of book 5 dealing with personal issues while Caesar continues his quest without one of his most trusted advisers and tacticians. Getting them back together did not seem possible but Simon is nothing if he isn't a resourceful writer.

Their reunion, put forward by none other than Marcus Antonious, is not an easy one and that is one reason why this book is such a great read. Nothing is easy...Simon could have had them patch up, shake hands and gone forward right from the beginning of the reunion but that would be too easy and a bit of a boring letdown. I will say no more lest I give away too much. The main plots are, for Caesar, the death of Ambiorix, the Eburone King who was responsible for the destruction of two legions and for Fronto, the return to the fold and command of a legion. Of course, those two aspects of the story are intertwined, converging like two tributaries to the Rhenus and becoming one in the end.

The continued development of the main characters is an ever constant need and has become a strength of the author. I especially enjoyed the progress of some of the main characters such as:
Caesar - much more human/not the above the fray-confident specimen he is often portrayed as...his conversations with Fronto especially are very telling and interesting
Labienus - another example of a differing representation - not a madman bent on outdoing Caesar
Antonius - now, he is larger than life...imagine Richard Burton meets James Purefoy
Fronto - he has been many things in this series and has grown with it...seeing him as commander of a Navy Seal like operation was well done...
On the fringe and just waiting to burst on the scene is that ever popular Gaulish rebel, Vercingetorix...his brief appearances here leaves one with the impression that he could be the most formidable foe yet to take on Caesar and Fronto.
I throw 5 stars at Simon Turney for yet again turning it up a notch. Now get to work on Alesia. :-)
About the author:
I live with my wife, my slightly barmy son and very vocal daughter, and two (close approximations of) dogs in rural North Yorkshire, where my wife and I both grew up, surrounded by friends and family. A born and bred Yorkshireman with a love of country, I cannot envisage spending my life anywhere else, though my anchor is sometimes tested as the wanderlust hits and we travel wherever I can find the breathtaking remains of the classical world. I have a love of travel and history, architecture and writing and those four interact well enough to keep me almost permanently busy.

Since leaving school and University, I have tried a great number of careers, including car sales, insurance, software engineering, computer network management, civil service and even paint ing and decorating sales. I have lived in four counties and travelled as widely as time and budget allowed and find myself, on the cusp of my fortieth year, back where I began and finally doing something I love.

Having written a number of unpublished short stories in my early days, I decided back in 2003 to try and write a full length novel. That was the start of Marius' Mules. Being a lover of Roman history, I decided to combine my love of writing and my love of classical history. Marius' Mules was followed two years later by Interregnum, my attempt to create a new fantasy story still with a heavy flavour of Rome. Since then, the success and popularity of both have inflated my head so that I can no longer comfortably fit through doors, and has spawned sequels to each work, with a third in the fantasy series and the sixth Marius' Mules now complete, as well as a series set in the 15th century Mediterranean.

I maintain another website detailing the Roman sites I visit and photograph, and write a blog about books. Find me on twitter as @sjaturney. I am an almost terminally chatty person. That's just a due warning if you feel like contacting me (see above.) I am always happy to speak to people and have put together an FAQ gathered together from things I have been asked previously. [...] [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars This series goes from strength to strength., 15 Jan 2014
Mr. Ray. Brown (Arbroath Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marius' Mules VI: Caesar's Vow (Kindle Edition)
I received a copy of Simon James Atkinson Turney's excellent new Book MARIUS MULES VI prior to publication,

What a story, After vowing revenge on Ambiorix, It covers Caesar's campaign through the Ardenne forest decimating the Tribes that were involved in the slaughter of his 14th Legion the previous year,
Throw in an exciting manhunt and we are set for a cracking good read.(once again)

Simon Turney clearly knows his history and his research into the subject of the gritty Gallic Wars is simply faultless. He does a tremendous job at portraying this rich and complex time of Caesar's campaign's, also with the constant power games between the Triumvirate in Rome thrown in this makes an enthralling and compelling series.

I now look forward to the short work 'Marius' Mules: Prelude to War' which will follow on in the wake of MM6 and will cover three important events that occur during the following winter before 'Marius' Mules VII: picks up the tale in late 2014/early 2015.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laurels Well Earned, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Marius' Mules VI: Caesar's Vow (Kindle Edition)
I came across this series searching generally on my Kindle and bought the first three or four on spec. It began pretty well and book by book just kept getting better. I've read all 6 end to end now and look forward the next. Turney's confidence has grown along with his literary instincts, ability and fine research, which sits lightly on the stories just as it should. He makes wise novelist choices yet stays well within the known history or the logic of the circumstances of what is unknown. His characters are nicely rounded and, simply put, the good guys are good company. Marius' Mules ticks all the boxes for an entertaining, intelligent, fictional military/historical series. It beats the pants off Sharpe and compares well with Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubery/Matuirn novels and even George MacDonald Fraser's delightful Flashman. I never thought I'd be saying that of a contemporary writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars More please, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Marius' Mules VI: Caesar's Vow (Kindle Edition)
Great to see Fronto back in Gaul. Great storytelling and I am looking forward to the next instalment already as he takes command of the 10th once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This series, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Marius' Mules VI: Caesar's Vow (Kindle Edition)
I have read all of this series and find them really very well written. I can't wait for the next one

2.0 out of 5 stars heavy going, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Marius' Mules VI: Caesar's Vow (Kindle Edition)
I have loved the saga of fronto ( that name several books on still makes me think of a damned hobbit!) and caesar, and this next volume in the series was much anticipated. But three quarters of the way in and its both slow and laborious. I have to resist the urge to skip pages, but its not easy. I plough on in the hope it will either pick up or frodo will finish his adventure.please let this volume be a blip and not the new standard. Very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fronto's adventures continue, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Marius' Mules VI: Caesar's Vow (Kindle Edition)
As ever a masterly recounting of Fronto's continuing adventures - utterly believable though loosely based on historical fact - with an intriguing twist at the end - most enjoyable

3.0 out of 5 stars go Fronto, 1 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Fronto 'standard' is back, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Marius' Mules VI: Caesar's Vow (Kindle Edition)
Have read the whole 'Mules' series so far and found V a little disappointing. Not quite what I expected from Fronto and his cronies. Caesar's Vow has fully restored my faith. I couldn't put it down. The old mix of superb action scenes and soldier's humour just works so well. Thanks Mr Turney. Keep the standard up with the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fronto is back..., 23 Jan 2014
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
To be totally transparent, Simon is a friend, but that that said if one of his books was a dud then i would avoid reviewing it.
Marius Mules 6 is a long way from a dud, in fact its a clear sign that Simon has become on of the finest writers in Roman Fiction. His character Fronto has grown with every chapter of his tale, his plot construction has grown and developed to a level of skill and complexity that engage the reader and ensure you are on the edge of your seat from first page to the last.

For anyone who might think he is a one trick pony... try The Thief's Tale: 1 (The Ottoman Cycle) and some of his other books. Whats even more impressive is that to date he is still self published. (not for too much longer if the publishers have an sense) Until that date, Simon remains a writing machine, turning out several tales a year, and improving the quality of his craft with every one.

Fronto is back, and he is still a grumpy, clever, witty, Dangerous SOB.... don't miss the story!

Highly recommended