5.0 out of 5 stars From cradle to grave
This neat little book by William Hanson and published in the Bluffer's Guide series runs to around 110 pages.

Published 12 months ago by Pepper

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather trivial content...
Disappointingly thin book... the contents of which most will, almost certainly, be au fait with.Might I recommend 'Her Ladyship's Guide to the Queen's English' as a more effective remedy.
Published 2 months ago by Noon

5.0 out of 5 stars From cradle to grave, 23 Jan. 2014
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)

Although it is written in a humorous style I think this book could be quite useful when, in our largely informal world, formality is suddenly called for. The contents of the Guide are as follows; To the Manners Born; How Do You Don't; Dinner Party Decorum; Spaghettiquette (The Proper Way to Eat); Don't wear Brown in Town; Twittiquette; Etiquette when Hatched; Etiquette when Matched; Etiquette when Despatched; Fillies, Flowers and Flotillas (The Season); Corgi Courtesy (A Royal Audience)and a Glossary. As you can see, the book aims to cover all aspects of etiquette effectively from cradle to grave.

Although the style is light hearted there is plenty of genuinely useful advice, for example, how to eat awkward foods or the components of morning dress. One occasion I did think this book would have been very useful for was going to a Royal Garden Party - most people will only go once in their lifetime to such an event which adheres to traditional etiquette captured in this book. The section on "e-etiquette" (Twittiquette) gives the book a more contemporary feel than it might otherwise have had. However, like many of the chapters, it's not that the advice is perfectly practical or contemporary, more that the text raises issues that you are likely to have to confront, and, therefore the book helps you to be forearmed.

In summary, this book covers a potentially serious subject which may only rear its head from time to time in a lot of people's lives, but it's ideal for those occasions when it does. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One adored it, 27 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette (Bluffer's Guides) (Kindle Edition)
I received this from Library Thing's Early Reviewers in return for a review.

I love it. It managed to be both extremely funny, informative and USEFUL, unlike many other guides to manners which are just excuses to make class jokes.

The tone of the book is witty and scolding, it makes no apologies for the fact that

'If you eat your toast incorrectly when you are a house guest in a U [Upper Class] household, you will not be invited back'

This is tempered with lots of interesting historical explanations as to why things are Done the way they are (my mind was blown by why spoons should not be placed at the top of the place setting, I won't spoil it for you though I see another reviewer already has!)

I must admit that I skipped the long list of explanations of different dress codes but it's comforting to know that they are there because if ever I am called upon to attend an event in Morning Dress I will be referring back to it (no straw hats before Easter!). The beauty is you can (and I will) use this stuff and it reminds us that most etiquette is just based around good manners. Strict rules of etiquette are seen as 'stuffy' or comic these days but as this tongue in cheek guide shows they are really all about social signals designed so that no-one is discomforted or embarrassed, ensuring that one exercises restraint in eating and drinking and making sure no-one catches their death through wearing inadequate clothing.

Two things that I learnt of particular interest to me
1) Primogeniture was never observed in the county of Kent (I originating from Kent)
2) British rail is now called Network Rail (as the book was pointing out that upper class people continue to call things by their previous names this suggests that I can skip a bit of homework)

4.0 out of 5 stars Now I Know More, 9 Feb. 2014
I received The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette from the publisher as an ebook file which was easy to download to a reader.

The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette is a short book that's full of humor and historical information about the ins and outs of manners and etiquette in the upper echelons of society. With dry British humor, Hanson explains how to dress in white tie, morning dress, and in other dress codes.

I enjoyed the history behind many of the social customs such as the place setting of a formal dinner. For example, I did not know that at one time, the salad fork was placed above the dinner plate, but then was moved to the side because the crest-shaped salad bowl is now placed above the dinner plate. Of course, I never knew that the formal salad bowl is crest-shaped to begin with...I also didn't know the rules about the dinner glasses either.

Overall, I enjoyed The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette. I feel a bit more knowledgeable about social etiquette, and my vocabulary has expanded.

5.0 out of 5 stars The world was my oyster......., 26 Jan. 2014
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
.....but I used the wrong fork, quotes dear Oscar Wilde. Well that need never again be a problem once you have read the most tongue in cheek volume yet published b the delightful Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette.

I would hazard a guess that etiquette is far and away the most fragile and non-specific element of most people's lives unless, of course, you should have the misfortune of being invited to one of Mrs Hyacinth Bucket's candlelight suppers and even she might have difficulty supplying the right number of oyster fork. Living, as I do, by the seaside I often witness tourists stabbing the glutinous messes with a supplied wooden fork resembling a sharpened lollipop stick...

But oyster forks may well be the least of your problems when it comes to behaving correctly in a society that, quite frankly, barely exists any more. Knowing what to wear where and when has been replaced by how to announce your latest sprog on Twitter and Facebook. Correct place settings have been replaced by the street food and which bench is the most sociably acceptable to chow down on your burger/pizza/kebab. Baby showers (a wonderful image is conjured by this recent import) have replaced the solemnization of the bawling offspring in a country church peopled by dedicated god people producing Christening mugs and financial promises. Oddly enough funerals have not really been updated, I am guessing that grief is still too uncomical and very rarely do last rite details appear on Facebook any more than photographs are taken at this final gathering of the family clan.

This little volume is a true delight and Mr Hanson has plundered some well worn books on U and non-U tradtions. I was reminded of Lady Gough's "Book of Etiquette" from 1863 in which she established some social commandments of the time ; "One must avoid for example the intolarable proximity of male and female authors on library shelves. Books could only stand together if the authors were married like Robert and Elizabeth Browning" ~ truly delicious!!

Long live etiquette and its debt to British eccentricity..

4.0 out of 5 stars I can't wait to try this the next time the Queen invites me to tea, 12 Feb. 2014
J. Vitous "Livin' the Dream" (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
Etiquette is often used as comic foil in the movies. The notion that there is strict code of social conduct observed by the cultural elite seems silly to the uncouth masses. Just how did such a thing come to pass? Partly it arose from more dangerous times; in the Middle Ages, hidden daggers were often a danger and some of these routines came about as a way to prove one is harmless. Mostly though, it's years of people having little else to do with their lives but obsess about such details as the color of (or even existence of) a hidden belt.

The Bluffer's Guides are British publications, and tend to focus on to get by in the UK. Much of what Hanson refers to as "American inventions" translate into unforgivable faux pas in British high society, particularly in the presence of Royals (don't call them "Royals.")

This is a very funny book to read, I imagine doubly so for a Brit, but as an uncouth American, I take perverse pride in my wanton violation of much of this book. I suppose this means I won't be invited to tea at Buckingham Palace, but if ever I were, I'd probably bring a six pack of my favorite beer. I don't often mingle with high society, and admittedly would be deemed pretty offensive among them . To follow the tenets of this book would lead me to punch myself. Maybe that's why I spend so little time among them -- courting favor of the platinum spoon set just isn't something I do. Bring them down to my level? You bet. A friend of mine and myself used to regularly attend the opera with the stated goal of making the experience a little less proper for most of those in attendance. This was often done not only via casual dress, but discussion between the acts transposing the opera we were seeing into a version acted out by The Three Stooges.

The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette is an entertaining look on how the top 0.001% live. If you presume to partake in this rarified air, then there is certainly something to be learned here (to bluff ones way through, anyway...for staying power, take one of those silly classes often mocked in the movies). The author, however, makes an assumption that the reader understands the importance of these societal conventions, and actually apologies to readers who don't have the British royal family to hold in esteem. A chapter as to why some of this should matter to the rest of us might make a nice addition to later editions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Stuffy, 24 April 2014
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The thing about etiquette is that its very nature is one of stuffiness. That can never be said about this lovely little guide. I probably should be disqualified from reading it as style is something I have never had. I have had a habit over the years of visiting great sporting venues - but not when anything has been taking place. Yes I have walked round Wimbledon, Lord's Cricket Ground and been to Henley. All when nothing has been happening. Weddings, Christening, breastfeeding, sport, funerals, are all here with tips on how to behave. How to eat pizza and burgers, how to send condolence messages and how to put death notices in the paper. The great thing about these guides is they manage to make serious points whilst seeming to be flippant and fun. All you need is a straw boater (worn properly of course), an armful of tickets, some dress sense and away you go for the great British summer of events.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 12 April 2014
I bought this for Mothering Sunday , and my mother loved it. Very witty and actually gives sound guidance on correct behaviour. Smaller physical size of book than I expected, height and width wise, but there is a lot of content. Very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars elequent and Amusing, 13 Mar. 2014
Very informative and extremely amusing, clearly identifies your place in life, turns what mught be percieved as snobbery into an amusing life path to follow, most useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 10 Mar. 2014
A. W. Wright (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
It was nice to know that my Parents had taught me well. I learnt some more essential information in a humorous way and thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars I can blag it now, 7 Mar. 2014
Asphodelia (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I was offered this title by the publishers, having previously reviewed two other books in the Bluffer's Guide series - The Bluffer's Guide to Surfing (The Bluffer's Guides)and The Bluffer's Guide to Jazz (Bluffer's Guides).

Just like the other titles in the series, this book deals with the subject matter in a lighthearted, humorous style, so that the not-so-posh reader (like myself) won't be too intimidated at the sheer volume of rules to remember when stepping into the world of high society.

From introductions to dinner parties, to what one should wear, down to the rare but possible eventuality of meeting HRH Queen Elizabeth II, all the essential areas of etiquette are covered: after reading this book I feel that I could bluff it skillfully enough to at least not get kicked out of the Palace. Ok, I might not never become chums with Wills, Harry & co, but I think I can live with that.

This is a fun and very informative read, from which I've learned several interesting facts: did you know, for instance, that the Queen has dinner at 20:15? And were you aware that `pardon' will give you away as a member of the lower classes faster than you can say `sorry? And I certainly didn't know that euphemisms such as `he passed away' aren't favoured in upper circles, as clearly the elites prefer to be brutally honest about death, a trait which makes me warm to the upper classes a bit more. And I will be careful of what I say to the family of the deceased next time I'm invited to an aristocrat's funeral.