Format: DVD|Change

on 9 May 2014
I have been watching this series on DVD because I missed it when it was on television. I am so glad that I ordered the whole series from amazon. The episodes are so watchable and I find myself immersed in the story lines so that I weep with the characters through the good and the bad. How they do the births I have no idea but i felt for everyone of them. Thank goodness the background music does not force itself into the consciousness like so many dramas do these days and the diction is clear and not muffled as again so many programmes are. The voice of Vanessa Redgrave narrating the story is a huge plus.
on 13 April 2014
A gentle but gripping drama with wonderful development of all the characters. Concerned very much with caring and love but not at all cringe making! Attention to detail superb - plenty of props recognised from my childhood growing up in late 50s early 60s. Particularly suitable for women who grew up then but younger women and some men would be equally gripped I am sure!
on 29 April 2014
I'm enjoying this series, I had never watched it on TV but heard good things about it. It is a lovely easy program to watch and you are never left on a cliff hanger at the end of each episode . I like this as I'm then happy to take my time with it and know that I can look at a episode and not want to stay up all night.
It is set in the late 50's and boy were things different, not all better today. It was a different world then, I was at school at the time but of course it's a subject I would have been familiar.
To sum up I'm delighted I bought it and am enjoying it very much.
on 7 May 2014
I learn at lot about personal relationship and interacting with people from the series. It is also inspiring to see how love and care goes a long way to make people feel safe and worthy.
on 13 August 2014
great box set worth every penny watched it twice now and wished it didnt have to end great to see how it was to live years ago and had saddnes and happines to would recomend this boxset as has the christmas specials and cast interveiws to
on 3 September 2014
I'm not a telly watcher but adore this series and watched every episode, even my 17 yr old daughter got hooked and has watched them all too! British drama at it's nostalgic best.
on 24 March 2014
Watched series on tv and wasnt disappointed by this box set,Also had extra episodes that i hadn't seen,these were the christmas ones.
on 28 December 2014
I bought this for my wife and I started to watch it with her just to keep her company but I'm hooked, it is quite simply stunning! The programme is so beautifully written and the acting is just wonderful. Miranda Hart demands special praise as she really is a fine actress as are the whole cast. I have never seen such a wonderfully uplifting programme and I am so glad that I bought this for my wife. Don't tell her I said that! Buy this and just wallow in the gloriousness of it all!
on 6 March 2015
This is one series which I could readily watch over again. It is well-written and pulls no punches. It is inspiring to see the work of these midwives helping Mothers to bring their babies safely into the world.The self-sacrificing love of the Parents and the Midwives was inspiring. It was also good to see a largely pro-life scenario.
on 16 March 2015
Just a wonderful serie. I was not sure at the beginning because I did not like much the book but the various characters in the serie make it human and very likable. The serie made you feel close to the people and besides I was in school with nuns when I growth up so the links between the midwifes and nuns is quite interesting.