Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 27 November 2015
As someone who enjoyed the music of Free and Bad Company in his teens and then later developed a love of Memphis Soul this collection interested me. Was it a marriage made in heaven? Sadly I think not. For me it never hits any heights. The singing and musicianship is good throughout but never inspired. I think it may have been a mistake to cover so many well known songs.These versions don't match up to the originals. That's not a criticism of Paul Rodgers as such. I'd expect the same result if, and I know it's hypothetical, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding or James Carr had attempted 'My Brother Jake'. Perhaps if all involved had looked for some less well known songs from the genre and Rodgers had spent more time 'living' with those songs before presenting the ones best suited to his voice and delivery then this could have been a really good offering. I'd expect Rodgers fans to enjoy this more than Memphis Soul fans. Go ahead and make up your own mind. The release with the bonus DVD may add sufficient value to justify the purchase and push this closer to the 4-star category.
on 6 March 2014
Three things

I doubt, excluding his work with Free, that Paul Rodgers has recorded a better Album!

The song choice is exquisite!

This is an analogue recording so the the music sounds like real music. So buy the vinyl copy and if you do not have a record deck buy one to play this. You will not be disappointed
on 17 June 2015
I am a great Paul Rodgers fan and this CD is Paul singing his favourites. More a reflective CD and don't we all go there over 60 but an odd upbeat song with a bit of brass would liven it up. Best song for me is " I thank you" and after a few listens the Roger's voice grows on you but not bad value at £7.
on 9 April 2014
I have always been a fan of Pauls since his Free days but I was a little apprehensive of this album,had he bit of a bit to much.Being a blue eyed soul boy from the sixties who's idols were Otis,Sam & Dave,Etta etc could he pull it off ?Well Paul you did a good job of it,especially taking on what always thought to me female songs I can't stand the rain andWalk on by and doing them proud.So whilst the Otis songs will never be bettered in my mind at least Paul did not make a mess of them.So if you like to hear some clssic Stax style R&B done slightly different from the originals but still with soul buy this.Well done son you didn't let me down.
on 22 February 2014
Perhaps this is the album that Paul Rodgers has always needed to make. The music of his (and my!) youth. It is impressive that so many of the great sidemen who playd with Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett amongst others have played on here as well. I have followed Paul Rodgers musical career from the first time i ever heard "All Right Now" and have nearly forgiven him for the ill advised soujorn with Queen (never in my opinion a rock group, more a showbiz sideline which made one great record.)

Well done Paul
on 12 April 2014
this is
not one of his better ones he has come up with still good .but will still get more of his music
on 9 April 2014
This cd shows 'the voice' at his best, singing songs of his youth when he learned and loved the rhythm of the blues. It took a couple of times to really appreciate what he was doing but I think this is the best thing he's done in years. Thank goodness he left Brian May et al behind! The music shows his voice to be as good as ever despite his advancing years.
A MUST FOR ALL PAUL RODGERS FANS. I LOVE IT,
on 21 March 2014
Paul Rodgers has also had a soulful rock voice but this time he's gone 'all soul'. If you like Stax type of music, then you'll probably enjoy this. I'm happy that Paul has tried this and that he may even do something else in this direction, as long as he doesn't eventually forget his rock roots again. Interesting DVD too.
on 29 January 2014
Hmm mixed reviews on this but as a lover of the original songs and the early Paul Rodgers of free and some of bad company this is perfect match with the cream of guys played on this stuff. Biggest tribute is to say he sounds as though he enjoys the songs and understand what make good r'n'b,
on 27 January 2014
I was a little surprised when I listened to this album for the first time. I thought that Paul would go back to his roots after his encounter with Queen. This album is good, its a little in the same vein as Van Morrison and I think there is a little bit of Hughie Lewis and the News in there somewhere?

First track 'I thank you' is a upbeat number with some blues undertones the third is a brave reworking of the classic 'I can't stand the rain' this works well showcasing the full range of Paul's vocal range. Track four 'I've been loving you too' is a more bluesy number with Paul sounding a little like Van the Man? Track six is another reworking of a classic 'Walk on by' this works well with backing singers sounding like Dionne Warwick.

This is an interesting album and a departure from his Free days, I will need to listen to it a couple of times and then maybe edit this review, worth listening but a little different