on 31 January 2015
Flexitarian not vegetarian! This book is not about becoming a vegetarian (even though I am one myself) it is about limiting your meat intake to ensure a longer, fitter, healthier lifestyle and swapping to plant based proteins which are more nutritious and sustainable environmentally.

I am a vegetarian and probably closer to a vegan as I do not eat much dairy. The other day I was talking to a friend and she asked, "What do you eat for protein?" I actually was lost for words and it made me think that in being vegan/vegetarian I have not adequately considered if I am getting my proper proportion of protein.

I purchased this book as the author is highly qualified as a dietician and has an impressive resume. Why do we all associate protein with meat? Do we have to eat meat and dairy to get protein? What I found out reading this book is that many people in Western societies now get too much protein and this can lead to Alzheimers, liver and kidney problems.

Healthy foods like quinoa, soya, nuts, green leafy veg and whole grains are packed with protein with none of the inflammatory, acidic effects of meat products.

This book is packed full of guidance and advice and is written is a very entertaining and easy to read fashion. You will become educated on your food intake, proportions of fat/protein/carbs and be treated to fabulous recipes which will have you wondering why you ate so much meat before.

I am excited about food and cooking and reassured that I am giving myself a great chance of a healthy life thanks to this book.

I would certainly purchase from this author again.

5 star!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 February 2016
This is a relatively short book and I guess I was seduced by the cover ( I love avocados) and the claims that it it would contain high protein recipes. I found it very disappointing and I'm not convinced that any of the content lived up to the astounding claim that it would increase longevity. Although written by someone with nutritional credentials, it's somewhat superficial, with very much an overview about protein requirements.

That aside, it's the actual recipes I found lacking. Many are simply snacks, not very imaginative and if you're looking for real inspiration, this is not a true 'cookbook'. I bought it when free, but I wouldn't consider it great value if I'd paid for it.
on 30 January 2014
This is a well written and a great collection of recipes. This a great book for anyone who is trying to live a healthy life and eat delicious but healthy food
on 28 August 2015
A lot of people believe that it is impossible to get meat from vegetables but this book has proven that wrong in a classy way. Recipes included are not only delicious, but they are also great source of protein. Ms. Shireen has done a great job with this book. I have tried the avocado and eggs recipe and it was delicious. I didn’t include tomatoes but that’s because I don’t like them really. But still the final product was really good. Great value book for 99 cents.
on 16 June 2015
This is a good guide to help you lose weight and live longer by dietician Shireen Hakim. You’ll learn how to get a healthy protein intake without eating meat. The book is well written with many delicious and easy to prepare recipes, with enough variety to keep things interesting.
on 19 June 2015
Never be stuck with few options again when it comes to making healthy and nutritious meat-free meals! This book is packed full of tasty meat-free recipes. This is a good guide to help you lose weight and with this book I am giving myself a great chance of a healthy life.
on 3 December 2015
This is an excellent book. I love the fact that it's not only a cook book but it gives you detailed information about the benefits of reducing our meat intake. The recipes are new and inventive. This is an excellent book.
on 18 June 2015
Quick, easy to prepare but also TASTY recipes! I love quinoa and pizza so I am so excited about trying every single recipe in the book. I am starting a meat free day per week next week and this will be my go to book.
on 3 February 2014
I'm always on the lookout for tasty meat-free recipes to feed both myself and my family. Shireen's 'Swap Meat Cookbook' has 25 easy to prepare recipes with a wide variety of flavours. Never be stuck for choice again when it comes to making healthy and nutritious meat-free meals, thanks to this handy guide.
on 26 April 2015
This book is so disappointing. It looked disappointing before I opened it, but I thought that it didn't really matter what it looked like as long as there were some good recipes in it. There aren't. In fact there are hardly any recipes in it.

There are 5 recipes under Breakfast, 7 recipes under Lunch,7 recipes for Dinner and 6 recipes under Desserts and Snacks.

One of the recipes is for a Peanut Butter and Banana Grilled Sandwich. In my view that is not a recipe, it is a serving suggestion for bread. If you are going to tell people how to make a toastie then at least include a few variations.
Another recipe is Cream Cheese and Waffle Sushi. Sounded interesting. Unfortunately it wasn't. One of the ingredients was 'Waffle batter'. I'm sure most people can look up a recipe for waffle batter but if you are looking at a waffle recipe you would expect there to be ingredients listed for the batter. Basically the recipe instructs you to make a waffle, spread with cream cheese, sliced banana and strawberries then roll it up. Again that is more of a serving suggestion for than a recipe.

One of the lunch recipes is Quick Tofu with Noodles. Simple instructions on how to make a stir fry. No suggestions for vegetables to use just '1 small pack of stir fry vegetables'. In fact there are only 4 ingredients: Tofu; noodles; pack of vegetables and water. Again, plenty of space to add some ideas for variation.

One of the dinner recipes is Tofu Teriyaki. And that is all you get. Tofu with Teriyaki sauce. Nothing else. No suggestions for what to serve it with.

The last recipe is Greek Yoghurt with Ginger, Honey and Strawberry. No need to write out that recipe as it is all in the title. Why are there no more serving suggestions for yoghurt? Again an opportunity missed to provide some great serving suggestions, but definitely not a recipe!

There are a small handful of recipes that I would actually class as recipes, and sound a bit more interesting. Peanut Ginger Dressing on Asian Slaw Salad, Black Bean Veggie Burger and Hawaiian BBQ Salmon Burger look worth a try. However I would recommend you save your money and buy a proper recipe book. It should be renamed 'Meatless Protein Serving Suggestions'. The recipes are so easy and basic this book would be better marketed at a 10 year old with little interest in cooking.

Oh, and just in case you are wondering, there are no photographs either.