5.0 out of 5 stars A great phone with some really useful features
I'd had my eye on a Moto X for a while and was thinking of importing one from the US, where its already been on sale for a few months, before it was announced here.

What do I like about it? In short, - the screen, its perfect size, build quality and Moto's special features.

Published 5 months ago by Big Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, contemporary Android
Until recently, Motorola was owned by Google (and now Lenovo), and it shows in the Moto X and G devices designed and built under those auspices. The -G model is a chunkier, slower, and non-4G version of the X, but I've been able to compare the -X with the -G and a Nexus 5 directly. The 4.7" Moto X is notably smaller, lighter and slimmer in the hand than the Nexus 5, and...
Published 5 months ago by Christopher Burns

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great phone with some really useful features, 26 Feb 2014
Big Red - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Moto X 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)

The screen is gorgeous. It's AMOLED Plus, and many people who've used one for a while will tell you they can't go back to anything else. Just do a web search for AMOLED Plus and read the forums. Each pixel lights itself, there is no backlight, so blacks are black and colours are vivid and not washed out. Furthermore, pixels are arranged as they are on a traditional television screen (RGB) meaning that images are sharp and colours are displayed correctly. The screen is not as high a resolution as the iPhone 5S or the latest Samsung Galaxies, but it doesn't need to be. Lighting less pixels also helps the battery, and I'll come on to that again later.

I love the special features on this phone. Motorola Migrate made it easy to transfer absolutely everything from my previous phone with no hassle, including music, video and photos. Motorola Connect is something I wasn't expecting, which enables me to send and receive texts from any Chrome browser. It will even tell me when the phone is ringing and who is calling. It's really useful to be able to text from my Chromebook and desktop PC. The browser extension also looks identical to the SMS screen in Android, showing all my contact photos. I'm really impressed with this feature.

Another Moto special is active notifications. When I move the phone, such as picking it up from a desk or lifting it from my pocket, the screen will light a few pixels in the centre showing the time and any notification symbols like text and gmail. I don't have to press the power button and it doesn't have to light the rest of the screen when it does this, as it's AMOLED and not LCD. I'm surprised Samsung haven't already come up with something like this beyond the vibration, as their flagship phones are AMOLED.

The Moto X can be voice activated without even touching it. There is a chip which continually listens for voice commands and uses little battery. The phrase 'OK Google now' is used and the X can be trained to recognise the owner's voice. It can be used for making calls, sending texts, opening apps, setting alarms, asking for directions and even asking questions such as 'how far is it to Glasgow?' At first I thought this was a gimmick but I'm now finding it very useful. iPhone users have probably had this for a while with Siri, but being able to do some of these things without even looking at the phone is impressive. The other day I'd lost the phone somewhere in the kitchen. I shouted the activation followed by 'find my phone' and the phone rang, leading me straight to it. If this feature feels a bit weird and freaky it can be turned off, but it started to feel less weird after a while. I would like to be able to activate navigation while keeping the phone in my top pocket, but I haven't worked out whether I can get past the final start command without having to touch the screen. This might be one example of how it could be better implemented. Maybe I need to read up on it more.

Motorola Assist is also useful. It learns what I am doing and I can set rules for when I'm doing them. For example, it knows when I am driving and can be set to send an automatic text reply to the sender to tell them I'm not available. It can also be set to tell me with speech who is calling or texting in case I might want to pull over and use the phone. I can set it to do different things at different times of the day, and if I want to use my calendar for meetings I can tell it what to do while I'm in a meeting.

The build quality is fantastic and it feels great in the hand, being a slim single unit and having a rubbery soft and slightly rounded back. A slight compromise is that it doesn't have a user replaceable battery and it doesn't have expandable memory. Although my previous phone had both, I don't miss them as much as I thought I would. As I'm now using Google Drive, does a phone really need a microSD slot?

It came with Android 4.4 KitKat and as it's not full of bloat-ware I expect it to receive updates from Moto fairly quickly. Hopefully the sale of Motorola to Lenovo won't affect this.

The camera seems great, but as I don't use phone cameras often, I'm not going to say too much about this. I know it has some unusual sensor that's supposed to let more light in. Opinions have been divided on whether it works as intended, but it seems fine to me. I took some pictures at a dimly-lit dinner recently and they looked fine. The camera interface I think is bespoke and is very intuitive, probably better than stock Android.

The rear speaker sounds well above average, it is very good. It wasn't a priority for me but I've noticed it is far better than other phones I've had. Similarly the call quality is very good indeed. Also on the subject of audio, I listen to music on high quality Sennheiser earbuds using Poweramp and FLAC files. The quality is very good, though possibly falls slightly short of the Wolfson-enabled Samsung Galaxies. It's acceptable to me though and after a while I've grown accustomed to the subtle differences in sound. One tip - be sure to turn off the awful Moto audio effects which are on by default. This is probably the only feature of the Moto X which I won't be using, and I'm wondering if it's buggy, because it really does make the sound awful.

Lastly don't be put off by reviews criticising Moto's use of an older CPU in the X. It's perfectly adequate, and nothing lags on this phone. CPU power is not much of an issue in phones now, especially now that Android has been optimised to run on lower-specced handsets. This phone, and all the apps I've tried, are silky-smooth.

I'm really passionate about this phone, it's a winner, so if you have any other questions, please ask. Very much a 5-star phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect handset., 21 May 2014
This review is from: Moto X 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
Well, I've owned all of the iPhones, ok but boring, HTC one, good phone, well built, god fed up of sense 5, LG G2, best of the bunch up to yet, brilliant screen, bit plasticky but all in all a good handset, but too big for the pocket on a night out. So i brought my Moto X off amazon for a little under 300. The size of the thing was first what attracted me to it. Its what i think the perfect size for a handset for everyday use. Okay, it doesn't have the latest processors etc etc but it isn't slow by any means. In fact in daily use i haven't noticed it being any slower than any of the handsets mentioned above. Motorola have done a good job with the Moto X. The screen is again not the highest spec on paper but is really bright and text is very easy to read, even with my eyes. I did read some reviews regarding poor battery life but in my experience after what i call everyday use, i.e. calling, texting, bit of gaming, bit of surfing, bit of video watching it gets me through the day easily with still around 40% battery remaining. (tons better than iphone5s) Motorola have put a few nice little touches to the phone, firstly, Moto Migrate, allowing you to transfer all of your contacts emails etc etc using an app downloaded to your old phone, simple and easy to use. Secondly, Assist, this is a nice little feature that lets you set you phone to sleep between certain hours at night so with volume left on it won't disturb you. A good feature with this is that you can set favourite contacts and it will only wake you if one of your favourites calls or another contact calls you twice in 5 minutes (in case of emergency) . It works with your diary too so if you are in a meeting and the meeting is recorded in your phone won't ring during that time, also you can set it to talk to you whilst driving, it detects you are on the move using gps so if you have a call it will tell you who is calling or text in you and you can tell it to either answer the call or text or let the person who is trying to contact you that you are driving. Thirdly, Google now, you can wake up the phone without touching it just by simply saying "OK google now" and it actually works very well. You can ask it a range of questions and it answers what ever you ask. You have to train the phone to respond to your voice upon set up, still very simple to do and a nice little feature. All in all for the price, (sub 300) this is a bargain and in my experience the higher end handset that are 500 plus are just not worth the extra cash. It isn't full of useless things that you'll never use, kit kat works brilliantly on it, highly recommended. Well done Motorola.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the specs fool you!, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Moto X 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
I have now owned the Moto X for over 3 months now and this has been by far the most satisfying phone I have owned to to date.

Here is a list of phones I have owned over the past 3 years, Blackberry Bold 9700, HTC Desire S, Sony Xperia Ray, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, iPhone 4, Samsung S3, Samsung Note 2, Moto G and now the Moto X. I have been changing phones almost 3 times a year over the past 3 years.

I get bored or frustrated with phones very quickly, Samsung phones are burden with bloatware and touchwiz which I cannot stand, iOS is too locked down and Nexus lines of phones spec wise is good, but the pure android of the Nexus line is lacking with some useful functions which I only found out after having owned the Moto G & Moto X.

I purchased the Moto G last Christmas after getting frustrated with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, it started to get slow and bogged down with random freezing. Even with factory resets this seems to only resolve the problem temporarily. So I started to search for a new phone but decided to try a budget phone and having read good reviews about the Moto G.

The users reviews were right, the Moto G has been a very good phone and owning a Moto G this made me aware of the what Motorola was capable of doing. That is to build phones which do not have top high end spec but still offer and deliver smooth and lag free user experience while offering excellent battery life because the screens and process don't require the juice zapping levels of the 1080 HD screens and faster processors.

Having owned the Moto G, I checked out the specs of the Moto X and it had the features which I have not seen in any other smartphones and that is an Active Display, Touchless controls and Assits. Both of these features plus the satisfied experience of the Moto G was enough to make me upgrade to this Moto X.

The Touchless Controls, Active Display and Assist is not gimicky unlike the features which Samsung packs in to their phones without giving real in depth thoughts about what phone users really want and find useful. Motorola on the other hand has implemented extra features which you really do need and will use.

Touchless controls is a feature where the screen will pulse a notification on many different notifications such as missed calls, text messages, emails, new social media posts etc. The screen will pulse intermittently an icon of the app on the screen where a new notification is awaiting your attention. You can then tap on the icon and slide up to peek to see what the notification is or slide left or right to dismiss it.

Touchless Controls allows you to operate your phone completely handsfree, this feature is most useful when driving. You can call, text, send emails and play music all with both hands on the wheel.

Assist is another feature which changes your phone characteristics based on what your are doing or your location. For example it can check against your calendar and when you are in a meeting the phone will automatically put the phone on silence. When you are driving the phone will automatically detect this and read out received text messages or read out the callers name if you receive a call while on the move. Once you get home you can set the phone to detect this so phone calls and text messages can be read out aloud similar to driving. Then in Sleep mode the phone will auto place the phone on silence so you won't be disturbed at night. All profiles can be customized to allow people in your Favorites list to make the phone ring when on silence such as meetings and sleep mode. Or if the same number rings twice within 5 minutes in cases of emergencies.

The Moto X provides a near Nexus (Stock) like Android experience but with a few very useful features which enhances the phone. Motorola has built a phone which is affordable with specs that is battery friendly and performance wise is on par with top end phones. The icing on the cake for me has been that Motorola has been pushing out regular improvements to the above mentioned apps and that they have pushed out Android firmware updates very soon after Google have announced the latest version of Android.

I would strongly recommend this phone over many of the current top end handsets out there for sale, I can see this as a long term keeper. I think you will be very surprised and pleased by this phone if you purchased it, just like I was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly amazing, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Moto X 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
Got my HTC One stolen recently and got the Moto X as a replacement - and much happier with it. Its an unexpectedly awesome phone. I was looking for a mid-size phone. Its weighty and feels solid, fits great, screen is still large at 4.7, runs super smooth and has no gimmicky features eating up storage. Only downside is the rather small 16GB storage, which is actually only 11GB since the operating system takes up the other 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Moto X 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
The Moto X is a lovely design and I think it hits a sweet spot of screen size versus "in the hand" size. The screen fills the front with tiny bezels, the back is soft touch, grippy plastic and is a great curved shape. The whole phone feels superb quality with a great fit and finish. Now onto that screen..... It has amazingly saturated colours! They simply glow and blacks have no hint of grey, it really impresses and pops. Detail is as sharp as you'll need. Whites are ok with a slight pink tint, overall brightness is loads better than a Galaxy S4 but way off an iPhone 5.
Kit Kat runs great, with the occasional stutter but nothing to ruin the experience. The extra Motorola software tweaks are subtle yet very useful, the main one is the lock screen which shows notifications you press and hold to read a preview, swipe it up to open it fully in the app or swipe down to dismiss and just unlock to home. The screen also wakes (to a subtle lock screen) every time you move the phone or remove it from a pocket, I never ever have to wake it manually now! A superb idea which does't impact on the battery.
To sum up, a lovely device that works superbly. Don't write it off if you think the spec sheet is weak, it is smooth and brisk with some perfectly executed software additions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever owned, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Moto X 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
Moto X is hands down the best phone I have owned. I've worked through a list of Galaxy devices including S3 and S4 and have experience with a myriad of other models.

The phone is a tad smaller than most other phones out there as they are all approaching phablet size if they aren't there already. I imagine my hands to be fairly normal in size and this phone fits well! I can reach all corners of the screen when holding it in one hand and that is without trying to balance the phone on my fingertips in some awkward way.

Resolution of the screen is somewhat lower than most competitors (who offer 1080p or higher) which helps lowering power consumption. I've gotten used to "Retina"-resolution so I would never like to go back to an old screen but I think the Moto hits the mark here. It features enough pixels to please the eye yet lowers the pixel count somewhat from other phones leading to better battery life, and who doesn't want that?

Software on the phone is excellent. Motorola has refrained from the behavior of Samsung and many others of wrecking the Android experience by replacing the native UI with something else. Instead Motorola has focused on smart applications that actually help you throughout the day. It all starts when you boot up the phone for the first time and you are greeted by the Motorola Migration Assistant. It will help you move pictures, contacts, call & text message history and similar from an older Android or iOS phone! It's the first complete migration tool I've seen that helps you convert from one major phone operating system to another. Way to go Motorola! Further, Motorola Assist helps you with turning off sound when you are in a meeting, sleeping or when you are on the road. I used to have a complex set of Tasker rules to solve this - the app works much better and is naturally much easier to use.

ActiveDisplay is killer. It uses the nature of the phone's AMOLED display to display notifications as soon as you pick up the phone from your pocket. AMOLED screens only consume power for lit pixels and ActiveDisplay only displays a brief notification in white, ensuring minimal power consumption yet giving you the information you need. I probably pick up my phone closer to a hundred times a day only to find out what a notification was. ActiveDisplay shortens that process considerably.

Touchless control uses a small built-in special purpose processor to enable always-on listening. You wake the phone up simply by saying "Ok, Google Now". No other phone features this functionality without drawing huge amounts of power and shortening your battery life considerably. It does have it's false positive every now and then but not enough to annoy. I don't talk to my phone very often (it's a bit awkward) but I know it's there listening if I feel alone. This is the first implementation of always-on listening that I know of and while not perfect it is a nice to have. I'm looking forward to improved tech in this area to further improve accuracy.

Overall this phone comes with a set of old and improved features and new features that you actually want. I'm afraid to say it, but Motorola is somewhat akin to Apple in implementation of these features. It's stuff that actually helps and not just some bling-bling you will turn off after a while. All packed in a neat package at a very reasonable price. This phone has changed my life and it attracts women. Could admittedly use a few more wolfs but still the best phone I've owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just one word - Incredible!!!, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Moto X 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
I have used quite phones - Nokia, Alcatel, Samsung, ZTE, HTC, Sony, LG and in recent months iphone 5 but Moto X definitely and certainly number one. Incredible phone. Great features. Excellent sound. The design is just perfect. Nice and easy to use with one hand. Active Display is a genius idea. Touchless control is not well understood my English, but that's me :-). I knew that the camera is not one of the pros, but it turned out much better than I expected. Highly recommend it to anyone who wants a true smartphone, not shiny and full of useless applications expensive phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 10 Jun 2014
J. Skaife - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moto X 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
I just can't fault it! Small, excellent battery life, fast, responsive, crisp display... Could the focus control on the camera be a bit better at close range? If I take a couple of shots at slightly different distances (in the 20 to 50cm range) some shots will have crisper focus... but it's a phone not a macro camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars After a month of use, I'd buy it again., 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Moto X 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
First I'd like to say I'm not a "phone guy", I don't obsess about the device in my pocket and what others think of it. I do however have a preference for Android phones, it's what I'm used to.

What drew me to the Moto X was a comment in a review that I found using a big search engine that stated that "the Moto X is the Android phone for people that don't know the model name of their phone" and "Motorola prioritizes user experience/usability over specs". And that all with an unskinned pure Android.

The Moto X delivers. It's fast, responsive, powerful enough for everything i throw at it.
It feels "nice" in my hands, i sometimes just play with it because of that. I have small hands and phones with more than 4.5" screens are a challenge and 5" is simply not possible. This is so easy to use with one hand for me it doesn't feel that big. The screen is bright and sharp and I've yet to miss the 1080p resolution. And side by side with a Nexus 5 the screen of the Moto X looks more alive and crisp, despite the higher resolution on the Nexus.
The usability is outstanding, the "Active Display" feature is so simple and yet so very powerful, that I don't know why this hasn't been done before. And i can't imagine to use a phone again with just a notification LED or one where i have to switch on the screen. Moto Assist is a nice touch, with GPS enabled recognises realiably when I'm driving as well. Moto Migrate worked perfectly, texts, call history, all made it onto my Moto X.
And then there is Touchless Control. To me it was gimmicky at first, but the longer I have the phone the more I find myself using it. Not only in the car, it's fantastic to use on the motorbike with my bluetooth intercom, its great for navigation! I even use it at home when I'm alone and the phone is across the room and it reacts, when spoken to a bit louder from a room or two away.

Something that sets this phone as well apart are the software updates. As this is an (almost) unbranded/unskinned Android and all the Moto X specific functions are merely apps, the updates come through Google Play. And they come all the time. There hasn't been a week without updates, bugfixes and new features being added to all of the Motorola Apps.
The camera isn't "The Best", but through updates the quality has increased significantly since the reviews from last year. And if you enable HDR as a standard, they are really good.

Plus it beats pretty much any other top of the range phone in price. The battery life is ok, depending on how much i do with it, it has to be charged every night and I've gone as much as 3 days without charging. It took some fairly heavy gaming (Asphalt 8 and Breach+Clear) for about 4 or 5 hours to drain the battery.

Pros:
- Usability / Ease of use
- Active Display (notifications feature, worth it's own bullet point!)
- For the screensize very small, thin and easy to hold phone. Especially for people with small hands
- feels amazing
- Enough power to handle all tasks.
- Touchless Control has potential and may grow on you.
- 16GB isn't much, but enough.
- Ok battery life
- Price

Cons:
- Not the highest spec phone (if you are after that)
- no microSD slot (16GB are ok, but not enough for some of us)

I'd buy it again and might have to. The wife is very jealous and wants a Moto X to replace her Samsung S4 and she is into phones, unlike me!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nexus Experience with some extra features, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Moto X 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
I love this phone, I've wanted one since it came out in the states and now I have it and I love it!

I have had a iPhone 3Gs, 4s, Nexus 4 and now the Moto X in my list of smart phones and this is my favourite.

Its definitely an upgrade from my Nexus 4, The nexus 4 was very fragile and smashed easily It felt too big in the hand without a case and the camera wasn't great, but I loved the features of the stock android, the customisability and the speed and this definitely has those feelings, no crappy touch wizz or any heavy OS skin on the top and has all the regular android updates. The Moto X is a stock android experience.

The size of the phone is just right, it fits in the hand like a dream compared to my nexus and is very sturdy.

The battery life is excellent, 24hrs without charging is great, a lot better than my previous phones.

The screen is awesome and vivid, very bright and games look awesome, its not 1080p, but hey you cant see the pixels.

The processor handles every app and game you can throw at it, I don't see the need in the latest and greatest processors these days with phones, don't let the spec wars on other phones detract you from this one. It functions flawlessly with lots of apps open at the same time.

The camera is a lot better than the nexus 4 I had, and it is a great camera, takes some good photos and the twist to open feature is very useful to take photos quickly with ease, but phones like the iphone 5s have better cameras, but they cost a LOT more so you cant complain for the price of this device.

The voice control is awesome, it lets me take control of the phone while im driving,opening and playing music on spotify by asking it is soooo cool, and it reads out texts. Motorolla assist lets you get a good nights sleep, is useful for my lectures as it puts me it in silent as it syncs with my google calendar without me having to take it out my pocket.

The final feature active display is awesome, its an upgrade on the notification light on my nexus 4 and gives you information that you need, instead of a glowing light.

This was a tough decision between the nexus 5 and the motox for me, but these extra features are not gimmicks. they truly add to the experience and I got the device for the same price,. I think that the moto x is worth every penny and better value than the nexus 5 with these features.
The Motorolla chrome connect feature is cool aswell, it lets me text my contacts from my desktop :)

It doesnt have the latest quadcore proccessor, but honestly, for youtube and the games on the play store, this is more than capable at running everything, the only minor gripe i have is the camera, but it is much better than my previous phones, and this device is a hell of a lot cheaper.

GET ONE. BEST PHONE OUT THERE.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›