on 17 September 2015
THE REAL HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT...
ON QUEER SQUARE

In the Houses of Parliament,
there are some queer folk,
all they do is nod their heads,
and talk a very good talk!
The Houses of Parliament
is corrupt - they seem to like
their work,
But every time it shows them
on TV - all they do is shirk!

They're tapping on their
tablets as though they are all
bored,
They turn up in their suits -
and even get full board!
They claim their expenses,
like any other person,
But not like me and you -
they don't have any good
reason!

The Houses of Parliament,
is know for its diversity,
Every one in there - has ben
to university!
They employ all their relatives -
and keep it in the family,
They pay them cash in the
hand - dodging the tax man
superbly!

The Houses of Parliament -
as a history of such slender,
You can yourself join this
club - but one has to be a
bender!
exclusive - and it attracts
lots of willies!!!!

The Houses of shame - is
were the MPs all gather,
Fiddling more of their cash -
they're all in it together!!!!
Lord Gay, meet Lord Bender,
whatever has gone wrong?
Everyone has got a title -
watch out for a song!!!!

The Houses of Parliament,
is the home on Queer Square,
Where all the MPs congregate -
lurking in their lair!!
So may I welcome - a special
guest so new,
His name is Sir Guy Fawkes -
he's returned just for you!

He will now clean up this
place - and then he'll be a
knight.
He's set to blow the lot up -
to the cheering crowd's
delight.
The Houses of the Parliament,
is finally laid to rest,
Goodbye to the Parliament on
Queer Square, now we feel
such zest!!!!

A new day has now dawned
as all the UK is free.
Freedom from these parasites,
is happiness to you and me.
The Houses are no more - as
history is now made,
But why do all gay MPs - like
their carpet laid!!!!

BY
DARRYL ASHTON
on 30 August 2013
I love Simon Hoggart's writing but have been rib tickled beyond delight by this collection of his accounts of parliament. I will never look at a 'My Little Pony' in the same way again. Splendid!
on 27 June 2013
I just couldn't stop laughing out loud all throughout this book even though I had already read most of the articles. Absolutely worth every penny to cheer up a grey day.
on 21 August 2013
Witty, amusing and properly disrespectful to politicians. Decent bedtime reading, if you don't mind being beset by the odd chuckle or two.
on 12 March 2014
So funny. Such a shame that Simon is no longer with us. I will miss his columns in the Guardian.
on 18 August 2014
Sadly Simon Hoggart died recently so there'll be no more of his humour to entertain us anymore. So here's a chance to own a selection of some of his best pieces just to remind you how good he was.
on 3 September 2013
Simon Hoggart manages so make serious points about our attempts at democratic government while, at the same time poking fun at its weak points-politicians
on 11 November 2014
I enjoyed reading this book which is a compilation of the author's daily political sketches over the last two decades or so. He provides a very amusing insight into the antics of the people we have voted to represent us in Parliament; some of his comments made me wonder how some MPs managed to be elected and continued to be an MP. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the proceedings in both houses of Parliament but with the proviso that the comments are written in a very humorous way.
on 16 April 2014
This type of book is a new genre for me and was recommendation. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style and format and the period mr Hoggart covers has a particular appeal as it covers what for me is my era (I first voted in 1997). What a particularly enjoyed was humorous take on the MP's behaviour and quirks e.g the fascination of "Micky Fab" etc.
on 6 July 2013
I've been reading Mr. Hoggart for donkeys' years in the Guardian, so it was good to be able to read a retrospective. Surprisingly, I could remember the historical context for most of it, bot Mr. H provides succinct intros to each piece. His wit has not diminished, rather, it has matured over the years. Strongly recommended.