4.0 out of 5 stars Robert Englund is amazing in this movie
Published 5 months ago by Sarah Jane

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Not Great BLU-RAY
The box has a glaring error which will really put some people off: it states the film is in 1.33.1 ratio (that 4.3 or Fullscreen to others).
Well, I can assure you that it's not. It's in widescreen 16.9. It looks like 1.85.1 to me.

At first glance the picture isn't brilliant - but it DOES look better than the DVD version.

Edit: Having now...
Published 3 months ago by Pantheon

4.0 out of 5 stars Robert Englund is amazing in this movie, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Phantom Of The Opera [DVD] (DVD)
I've only seen this movie (all the way through, anyway) once or twice. I really liked it, but not quite as much as I like (sorry, LOVE) the musical, even the 2004 movie. This is mainly because I'm not that much of a horror/gore fan, and this film does have some very gory scenes (hence the 15 or 18 rating - on here, the picture of the blu-ray says it's a 15, but the product description says it's an 18, which I think is more suitable), but thankfully it's not constant throughout the movie.

Anyway, Robert Englund is easily the best actor in the entire movie. Even though the character is, in some ways, very like Freddy Krueger, but the character is different enough that I never thought "Hey, it's Freddy in Phantom". Actually, in some parts his performance is quite moving. Some of his one-liners could have been quite cheesy, but they work even better than some of Freddy's one-liners in the Nightmare movies ("Bon Appetit" from the fifth movie is a perfect example).

I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So happy!!, 8 Jan 2014
I've been looking for the DVD copy of this film for almost a year!! It was available on YouTube, then got removed and only small clips available, then appeared on Netflix! But deep down, I wanted the DVD as I am a massive Phantom of the Opera fan! I was so happy and so amazed there was one available - I didn't care if the cover was in French, as long as the film was English (which it is) I was happy. Sure, price was a little steep (20 plus postage) but since I had been looking for a long time, I figured "what the hell?!"
And now I am a happy girl!! :D

4.0 out of 5 stars A great take on the classic story, 13 Aug 2013
This was a film I originally got as an ex rental VHS back in 1990 and had been searching for it high and low. Why I liked it -- Jill Schoelen was the perfect Christine, and the horror of the original story was nicely captured. It had some nice sets, nice music, and good performances, plus some good gore. Why the film was relocated to London I'm not sure, but no bother. Shame that the studio presumably, had to spoil a good script with stupid "Freddy Kreuger"-esque one liners ("You're suspended" as a theatre-hand meets his death while dangled on some ropes particularly grated.) Anyway, it lost a star for little things here and there but it was overall a very good film and it was nice to be able to enjoy it again in a nice widescreen print. I got mine from Amazon.it because at the time, that was the only way I could get a Region 2 copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was a gift for my mom, 24 July 2013
My Mom was extremely happy with this item, as her sister is actually in the movie.. The video was extremely clear as was the box. Thankyou.. Gary

5.0 out of 5 stars Phantom of the Opera, 21 Dec 2004
By A Customer
I've been in love with Phantom of the Opera ever since I saw the production at the theatre about four years ago, and when I heard of this film I suspected it would just be another remake which does no justice to the actual impossible love story between Christine and the Phantom, yet I was wrong. I saw this at the cinema a few days ago and can honestly say it was breathtaking, with a brilliant Christine who sung superbly and didn't let the songs down, a mysterious Phantom who's deep and rich voice emitted the spooky 'angel of music' sound perfectly and a splended portrayal of the labyrinth which all came together to create a masterpiece. But still I stand by my views that Christine should fall in love with the Phantom and live with him rather than Raoul, who frankly gets on my nerves as he so easily 'woos' Christine. The relationship between the Phantom and Christine is so much deeper and sensual, giving the sense of proper chemistry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Not Great BLU-RAY, 17 April 2014
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Edit: Having now watched the film I can confirm that it is a massive improvement over its DVD counterpart; but it's not brilliant. There are still some shots that are a bit soft and grainy - but none of it is too distracting. The sound is PCM 2.0 and does an adequate job; but given the films music-derived plot I can't help feeling that a 5.1 DTS audio track would have made a difference. Oh well.
Disappointed that there are no extras. The only menu options are Play and Chapters. Also, there are no subtitles at all.

All in all, this is an OK release of an OK film, but if like me you're a fan of the film you won't really care. It's a worthy upgrade from the DVD and that's what matters.

For anyone who's never seen the film it's a bit more gruesome than other adaptations but pretty much follows a similar storyline. A few liberties have been taken but they're acceptable. Other people have given more in depth review - which is why my review focuses only on blu-ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars great ghost here, 10 July 2014
great film well worth the watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected!, 22 Jun 2014
I find that "gory" 80's movies tend to be a bit hit and miss as they promise allot, but most of the gore happens off screen, so I was really pleased to see that's not the case here! By the standards of the age, it's really pretty bloody and that's what I like from my horror films!

I think that this could easily have been an old Hammer Horror production at times as the sets and general atmosphere are suitably gothic and it looks amazing! The sets and costumes are all of a high standard so it's a real treat for the eyes and it could just be me, but I think there's a little bit of a hint of the musicals music in here too. It's not a musical by any means, but sometimes the score does sound a little bit like the famous musical version, but again, I quite like that.

Robert Englund also shows that there's more to him as an actor than the odd one liner as Freddie and he puts in a commanding performance as the Phantom. Having said that, there's more than just a hint of Freddie here too, but he's also different enough to be able to see a significant difference.

My only real complaint is why switch the location from Paris to London? That doesn't make much sense to me, but that's just a small complaint really. As I say, I really enjoyed this film and would easily enjoy watching it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars An acceptable blu ray release., 30 April 2014
Being a long time horror fan, I was surprised that I had not seen this version of phantom, but I hadn't and so I chose to purchase it on blu ray.
I really enjoyed the film, as I found it to have the right balance of horror and unlike many other horror film, it actually had a story to it. I must admit that I was a little disappointed with the phantom make up, as it was Robert England playing him and it was the same special effects guy that did his freddy Krueger make up on some of the elm street films and so it just looked like they were using left over freddy make up most of the time.
Apart from that, the film was enjoyable enough and even featured the massively underrated 80's horror scream queen jill shoelen.
The blu ray was a little bit of a let down because it was very soft and looked more like a dvd, but being that I never saw this before, I cannot compare it to any previous release. All in all it was a really good movie with an acceptable blu ray transfer, it's not something I would rush out and purchase but, if the price went down to say 7 then it's worth a look on blu ray, as I feel it's not worth much more than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great version of a classic tale, 4 April 2014
This review is from: The Phantom Of The Opera [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this version many years ago and was looking forward to seeing it again. It did not disappoint me. Jill Schoelen was always one of my "fave rave"actresses and it was a treat to see her here.Robert Englund is ,as always, a great villain. Great fun, Great film.

The Phantom Of The Opera [DVD]
The Phantom Of The Opera [DVD] by Dwight H. Little (DVD - 2014)
14.99