5.0 out of 5 stars Diamonds on the CD (or download)
Just downloaded this from a rival download site (eye chewns) but prefer the reviews and content of Amazon, so had to log on to write a quick review.

Published 2 months ago by N. A. Davies

Published 7 days ago by lady eleanor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Diamonds on the CD (or download), 17 Feb 2014
N. A. Davies (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamonds On The Water (Audio CD)

June Tabor collaboration aside, this is the follow up of Meet You There - to my ears, the most complete and satisfying collection of Oystertunes. With the task of following up a landmark album, the loss of Chopper, you would forgive the band of feeling a little pressure. Should this have been the fact, it certainly doesnt show. Diamonds on the Water picks up where Meet You There left off, and the band turn in another set of gentle, melodic, warm and beautiful songs. Gone is the young-man angst of Shouting End of Life, the boistrous nature of Blood Wedding, back in is the warmth and strength of the songs that made MYT such a great experience and is exploited again.

The bar is set high with the the opening salvo of A Clowns Heart and A River Runs that showcase the band in their most melodic mood, great vocals set to aching melodies. The high standard of the opening two is surpassed by Lay Your Dreams Down Gently, for me the album highlight up there with Bury Me Standing from MYT. A lot of bands this far in their careers struggle to replicate the success of early releases, The Oysters buck that trend with songwriting reaching a consistency that realises stronger and stronger albums the further they go in their careers. As if often the case, they visit songs of relationships, environmental and social commentary, each one handled with skill. Even if you aren't a little left of centre, like this lot, it is hard to deny the sincerity, the gravity and the skill of writing and delivery. The Oysterband are a rare commodity and fully deserve their place in Folk royalty.

If you are new to The Oysterband, firstly, where have you been? Secondly start here, then Meet You There, then keep working backwards through their catalogue. Many pearls await you...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Diamonds On The Water (Audio CD)
Fans of contempory folk music have been spoilt this month with releases from Seth Lakeman and this wonderful album from the Oysterband. Following Ragged Kingdom was never going to be easy but this one does it and by the time the album ends you will hit repeat and listen to it again.
As with 2007's Meet You There this is a collection of lyrically and beautifully melodic folk songs with just enough "rock" moments to give it some spice, not to the same degree as the Levellers but enough none the less. It will not take many listens for this album to engage, it’s a very immediate album and set, I am sure, to be one the folk albums of the year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unchanging Oysterband, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Diamonds On The Water (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of the Oysters for more years than I (or probably they) wish to remember and I suspect that I possess all of their recorded work, including their collaborations with other singers and musicians. This album sounds like typical Oysterband and would fit at any point into their work of the last 15 or 20 years. This is a little bit surprising to me, as there are some changes of line-up, most notably the departure of "Chopper", a.k.a. Ray Cooper, and I thought this might be the opportunity for some small adjustments to the sound. But if one likes the Oysterband one can't dislike this record. I have one quibble: The Oysters sometimes include a traditional song and on this album it's the well-known "Once I Had A Sweetheart". I would have preferred a less common choice, particularly since I think that the Pentangle nailed this particular song in a modern version some four decades or so ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it., 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Diamonds On The Water (Audio CD)
This is a great album. There is good variety and balance to the album . Each time I listen I pick up something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT NEW ALBUM, 13 Mar 2014
Robin Harewood Lee (Woburn UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamonds on the Water (MP3 Download)
First new album since the June Tabor 'Ragged Kingdom' collaboration, that was 2011, and it's been well worth the wait! All new material, but those of us who've seen them live recently will already be familiar with many of the tracks. I must admit I bought it out of loyalty, but I haven't stopped playing it since

4.0 out of 5 stars Oysterband back with a melodic mellow album, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Diamonds on the Water (MP3 Download)
This is not the Oysterband of 'The Shouting End of Life' or 'Holy Bandits' More reflective, mellow and melodic. 'Spirit of Dust' has a great uplifting singalong chorus and is bound to be a great live track. 'Call You Friend' is probably the most upbeat song here. 'Once I Had A Sweetheart' is a beautiful traditional offering, John Jones proving again what a great singer he is. 'Like A Swimmer In The Ocean' ends the album in beautiful, acoustic reflective mood. Look forward to Sheffield on March 21st!

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to love this album but am slightly disappointed., 12 April 2014
lady eleanor (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamonds On The Water (Audio CD)
I have many of their albums but I feel this one is their weakest. I am a devoted fan and loved the collaboration with June Tabor but the voice of the female singer on this album is not subtle enough for a backing singer, it sometimes clashes with the voice of John Jones (only my opinion I know), particularly on track no. 4 'Lay your dreams down gently'. For me she has spoilt the album. My favourite track is Once I had a Sweetheart.

4.0 out of 5 stars another fine cd, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Diamonds On The Water (Audio CD)
I"ve only heard of them over the last couple of years , but all their music seems lively and first rate .

5.0 out of 5 stars A real grower!, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Diamonds On The Water (Audio CD)
The first Oysterband studio album for 7 years, apart from the collaboration with June Tabor. And really worth the wait! Melodic, lyrical, its really repaying repeated listening. "Diamonds On The Water", the title track, is one of the most uplifting songs I have heard in ages. Really highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have Folk CD of the Year, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Diamonds On The Water (Audio CD)
Oysterband never disappoint with their albums and this album is no exception. One of their very best and with the new line-up. One not to miss.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›