5.0 out of 5 stars The Whit and Wisdom of Banks
Iain Banks first novel, The Wasp Factory, was published in 1984. In the years since, he's won critical acclaim, topped best-seller lists and has even written Science Fiction books under the cunning nom-de-plume 'Iain M. Banks'. He's also seen this book, "The Crow Road", adapted for television by the BBC in 1996. "Whit" is his eighth non-sci-fi book,...
Published on 26 Jan. 2006 by Craobh Rua

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
I read it for Book Club and all five of us found it okay, but no better than that. Isis isn't a very convincing woman in my opinion, she seems to take some stuff in her stride that seems very unlikely. Also, Zeb's speech patterns made me murderous.
Published 19 months ago by T-bas

5.0 out of 5 stars Storytelling at its best, 10 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Whit (Paperback)
I have to come clean and admit to being a huge Iain Banks fan. His books do not fit any one genre and are just storytelling at its best. Whit doesn't disappoint and the you get a story unfolding with the usual mix of Bank's commentary on society. Obviously if you are a kindred spirit to Banks then you will find this more satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lough-out-loud and witty - brilliant!, 3 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Whit (Kindle Edition)
I came across this Banks novel by chance (for the Kindle), and enjoyed every page of it. Very funny, sarcastic but not mean. I agree with other reviews, the synopsis does not do the book much justice. I really like many other of Banks' novels, but this one was a nice change to his SciFi and I was surprised about the storyline.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 30 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Whit (Kindle Edition)
This man’s writing is like a treat for me. It always seems so effortless that I never think of the writer writing it, only of the story unfolding before me. It's witty, sometimes laugh-out-loud funny. The delightfully naïve, and yet unwittingly brave and feisty female main character will stay with me for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing read, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Whit (Kindle Edition)
Somehow this book escaped me, despite being a long term fan of Iain Banks' books of all genres. What a joy to find such a gem so soon after feeling bereft that there would be no more. A book about betrayal, leadership and transformation with a page turning plot. Every bit as good as The Wasp Factory or Crow Road.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute Must Read, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Whit (Kindle Edition)
I have never read one of Mr Banks books before but I will certainly be reading him in the future. The Whit was a somewhat disturbing book in an interesting (exciting) way. The depth of detail and his ability to make you feel as though you are actually there is very clever. There is a delightful twist at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cult Classic, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Whit (Kindle Edition)
Ian Banks on top form with an absorbing and comical look at religious cults. It's inciteful and written from a young woman's viewpoint and her relationships across all generations. An absurd journey by the central character (the chosed one) to bring back the lost souls of her family. Great read as ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Iain Banks novel, 17 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Whit (Paperback)
Its rare to find a main character in a novel which you dont just watch as things develop for them. In Whit I found myself feeling sorry for her and amazed at her thought process. Banks always inspires such an realistic atmosphere in which his characters inhabit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 13 Aug. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Whit (Kindle Edition)
I first read Whit about 15 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some really funny moments throughout the book. On re-reading, I still feel the same about this book and shall no doubt return to it again in a few years.

4.0 out of 5 stars An unlikely heroine, 7 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Whit (Paperback)
Quite an unorthodox look at modern Britain and the way it can affect people. Although the plot was quite predictable in places and didn't really engage the brain an awful lot it was still an enjoyable read. Not as dark as lots of Banks' other stuff it was a refreshing surprise. I would say read it just to look at the world and the way it works from a very different perspective. Lots of Isis' character traits were left for the reader to work out at the end which was a little perplexing but I liked the way her character strengthened throughout the course of the book. Try The Wasp Factory if you want to read more of Banks, A very dark and different book from Whit