4.0 out of 5 stars Bleak houses & train wrecks
Ralph Fiennes proved with Coriolanus that he was a director to watch (we were already keenly watching him on the other side of the camera) and here he becomes one of Britain`s most promising directors, as well as a versatile, enterprising and unpredictable actor.
I would never have thought of Fiennes as a shoo-in to play the Inimitable - as Dickens was known in his...
Published 10 months ago by GlynLuke

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
As a keen Dickens fan and also a fan of Claire Tomalin's biographies on which this is based, I expected to love this. I didn't.

Hard to put a finger on why except that it seemed dull and the characters were not well developed. Dickens wife, in particular, was portrayed in a very bad light.
Published 5 months ago by sally seagull

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I have only known him as a writer of great stories. This film has uncovered another side of ..., 25 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Invisible Woman [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I was not aware of Dickens' other life. I have only known him as a writer of great stories. This film has uncovered another side of him, his interest and involvement with the stage, his travels, the strange set up of his household and most of all, his relationship with the young woman who could have been his daughter age wise. It is the kind of film that you watch and put away for a few weeks and then watch it again to fully absorb the story. I would have not gone so often backwards and forwards in the script, but then I was not the director! The story still remains very new and surprising.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed., 22 July 2014
This review is from: The Invisible Woman [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I don't regret watching this film, but would not watch a second time. It seemed very light in content. Very disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but rather laborious., 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Invisible Woman [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Dickens' own creations are so colourful that real life seems to fade by comparison. I found this film interesting but rather too long. Dickens was a complex character and I always feel that the most important person in the life of 'The Inimitable', as he called himself was in fact Charles Dickens. I will still read Claire Tomalin's book as her longer biography was excellent. Good performances and direction throughout.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not bother to see this film, 4 Sep 2014
M. Ögren "ogren" (Stockholm) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invisible Woman [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
A dull film about a male chauvinist. Hopelessly dull

1.0 out of 5 stars it's a crashing bore, 10 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Invisible Woman [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
If you're expecting a sumptuous visual feast, like the best of Merchant-Ivory, you will possibly be sorely disappointed with this. Why people are raving about the stunning images is quite beyond me, because I thought it looked cheap. There's an odd, bleached look about the photography, that is no doubt meant to give us the feeling we're in a Dickensian era, but to me it looked like they were trying to disguise the fact that the film was made on a limited budget. It's also a crashing bore, and for a film about passion, completely bloodless. I was so looking forward to this one because it's a great story, and I love period films but this one didn't do it for me. Sorry.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't watch it all, 11 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Invisible Woman (DVD)
The story was very slow from the start and found ourselves falling asleep about 40 minutes in. We were unimpressed with the acting and lack of plot. Nothing like some of the period drama's we've seen in the past.

4.0 out of 5 stars classical and intense, 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Invisible Woman [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
classical movie, very intense, with perfect actors. the story is true, and very modern. can t understand why ralph fiennes's movies as a director are not buyed all over, and most of all in italy

4.0 out of 5 stars The man behind the writing., 13 Aug 2014
I. S. Dixon - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invisible Woman [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
So glad I was able to get the dvd of this film. Always been a big Dickens fan, and this is the man behind the writings. A fascinating story in itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... fascinating insight into aspects of Dickens' life with a fine performance by Ralph Fiennes in the lead role, 17 July 2014
This review is from: The Invisible Woman [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
A fascinating insight into aspects of Dickens' life with a fine performance by Ralph Fiennes in the lead role.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very slow - I fell asleep after an hour. ..., 20 Dec 2014
Julia Burgoyne (Meopham, Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invisible Woman (DVD)
Very slow - I fell asleep after an hour. No real chemistry between Dickens and Nelly - a missed opportunity.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

The Invisible Woman [DVD] [2014]
The Invisible Woman [DVD] [2014] by Ralph Fiennes (DVD - 2014)